Here's some recent Knicks news, including Woodson endorsing Lin as our starter.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Some of you may have seen some of this.

The guy who assembled the below info is NJ.com Knicks blogger Alex Raskin.

Mike Woodson was invited to call into the Michael Kay Show on ESPN Radio on Tuesday, and in all honesty, he said nothing that he didn't already say when he accepted the Knicks head-coaching job a few weeks back.
If anything, Woodson did elaborate more on Jeremy Lin's future with the team. Whereas he told reporters at the end-of-the-year press conference "only time will tell" if Lin, a soon-to-be restricted free agent, would remain the team's starting point guard, he went a little bit further on Tuesday.
For that and more, here's NJ.com's aggregation of Knicks news from around the web:

• The New York Post had a brief transcription of Woodson's interview with Kay--specifically the part in which he supported Lin's status as starter: "'Right now, he is our starting point guard, without a doubt,' Woodson said. 'I’ve always believed this: When a starter goes down he doesn’t lose his job because of an injury. You welcome him back with open arms when he gets healthy and you keep it moving.'"

• SportsRadioInterviews.com had more of the transcription, including the part in which Woodson says he's thankful the team didn't reach out to legendary coach Phil Jackson before signing him to a multi-year deal: "Well I am glad they didn’t. [Laughs] I got a great respect for Phil and what he has done over the years and he’s an excellent coach, but again I don’t call those shots. Mr.Dolan made the decision to bring me back and that’s how it was. I was able to negotiate a fair contract. I’ll be back coaching the Knicks next season."

• ESPNewYork.com's Jared Zwerling put together a list of shooting guard prospects the Knicks could consider with the 48th overall pick in this year's NBA Draft: "5. Tomas Satoransky (Czech Republic) -- Satoransky (6-7, 210) could be the second player from the Czech Republic drafted in the first round in consecutive years. (In 2011, it was Jan Vesely.) But it's likely Satoransky will slip into the second because he lacks some off-guard skills. He's mostly played the one and has excelled with his passing, but he hasn't showed enough scoring abilities. However, he's athletic, can catch and shoot, and is active on the offensive glass. Defensively, he's an asset because he can guard multiple positions."

• Rodger Sherman of the "Posting and Toasting" blog described former Northwestern forward John Shurna's shooting form as the "Medusa shot," but admits "it works": "He shot 44 percent from deep this season, which doesn't sound great until you consider it's on seven shots a game with teams knowing he's a gunner. He's not a bad interior scorer either - he has a nifty game, a pretty quick first step, and can throw down if he gets a lane to the hoop - but I get the feeling he's not going to be expected to do much besides gun at the NBA level. If the Knicks need a replacement for Steve Novak, Shurna could be that guy, although obviously not as lights-out, he can straight up shoot. They both won the college three-point shootout and are both lanky white dudes from the midwest. It's a match made in heaven."
• Matt Shetler of the "Buckets Over Broadway" blog did a piece on former Xavier point guard Tu Holloway in which he paints the playmaker as a solution to the Knicks' depth issue behind Jeremy Lin: "The Knicks worked out Holloway the last week of May and he’s an intriguing prospect for New York as the Knicks lack of point guard depth right now has been heavily documented... As a scorer, Holloway mostly relies on his jumper, which can be a bit inconsistent at times. He was a 43 percent shooter from the floor and a 35 percent shooter from behind the arc. Holloway is best when he is presented with catch-and-shoot situations, but his pull-up game is pretty effective as well."

• Tommy Dee penned an interesting description of Carmelo Anthony's current situation with the Knicks on "The Knicks Blog," which suggests that the team captain could be kept on a shorter leash: "This is Melo’s team, but it is not his franchise. In fact, I’m told, the organization has him on watch based on the (Mike) D’Antoni situation that came across as the player not playing hard for the sideline commander. His endorsement of Woodson needs to be put into perspective. Imagine if he didn’t sign off on Woodson? Forget it. He’d be crucified."

• Keith McElroy of KnickerBlogger.com described Iman Shumpert as a "gifted defensive player" in his year-end report card, but admitted that it's hard to illustrate the rookie's effect on that end of the floor: "The Knicks forced more turnovers with Shumpert on the court than with him on the bench, it’s true, but they also committed two more fouls and allowed two more free throw attempts per 100 possessions of Shumpert time. Though this could be explained away as a byproduct of Shumpert’s aggressiveness, the more surprising discovery is that opposing offenses were generally more efficient with Shumpert in the game, scoring 102.9 points per 100 possessions (on a 49.1% eFG) compared to 101.3 with Shumpert off (on a 47.7% eFG)."

Nice to know Lin has Woodson's confidence. The stats on Shumpert are telling re opposing offenses. And I'm intrigued by this guy Satoransky.

Last edited:

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Nice. I was really looking for some Knicks news, and didn't really know where to find them. Thanks for posting. :beer:

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
John Shurna's jumper is like a man trying to throw a ravenous beaver off of his head. - BoilerTMill

That made me chuckle.

I'm not sure how he does not get blocked on that shot in the nba almost every single time esp against athletic defenders with dangerous closing speed.

New New York

Quiet Storm
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/newyork/play?id=8008909

Here is the audio of the Woody interview

Hey didnt know Stat was playing on Team USA this summer!?

I mean I know he was supposed to make the World Championship Squad last year but because of his contract Donnie pulled him and I thought that not only burned bridges for Amare, but made it so that NY managment would not consider him playing

Anyways Woody brings it up at the end of the interview

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
? Tommy Dee penned an interesting description of Carmelo Anthony's current situation with the Knicks on "The Knicks Blog," which suggests that the team captain could be kept on a shorter leash: "This is Melo?s team, but it is not his franchise. In fact, I?m told, the organization has him on watch based on the (Mike) D?Antoni situation that came across as the player not playing hard for the sideline commander. His endorsement of Woodson needs to be put into perspective. Imagine if he didn?t sign off on Woodson? Forget it. He?d be crucified."

Now that's worthy of a discussion.

All was well overshadowed within the organization, and we never really were given the telltale intricacies of what went on.

I was always interested/concerned about how - if it were indeed the case and Melo would not stand for Mike's M.O - Lin was affected by D'Antoni's decision to leave .

Now they're to reunite with team USA? Wonder if all will be revealed? Unlikely.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Crazy⑧s;237639 said:
Now that's worthy of a discussion.

All was well overshadowed within the organization, and we never really were given the telltale intricacies of what went on.

I was always interested/concerned about how - if it were indeed the case and Melo would not stand for Mike's M.O - Lin was affected by D'Antoni's decision to leave .

Now they're to reunite with team USA? Wonder if all will be revealed? Unlikely.

I think Lin and Fields were both stung by the loss of Coach D'Ant. I personally think Fields hates Woodson's style of play on the offensive side. Lin is probably more open to it.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I think Lin and Fields were both stung by the loss of Coach D'Ant. I personally think Fields hates Woodson's style of play on the offensive side. Lin is probably more open to it.

Agreed. Fields will be relegated to the bench next season is my prognosis.
Woody seems to have an affinity for JR, and if he and (a healthy) Jefferies return, I see Fields sharing a similar situation to that of Jorts this year in terms of PT.

skisloper

Starter
Crazy⑧s;237666 said:
Agreed. Fields will be relegated to the bench next season is my prognosis.
Woody seems to have an affinity for JR, and if he and (a healthy) Jefferies return, I see Fields sharing a similar situation to that of Jorts this year in terms of PT.

If Woodson decides to put Fields on the bench and out of the main rotation then you might as well trade him. I think other teams will see him as a greater vale then Woodson.......I hope JR opts out and goes elsewhere....did I mention that