Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks like there will be no "Linsanity Rule":Whats the going rate for Novak?

Default Looks like there will be no "Linsanity Rule":Whats the going rate for Novak?

So basically Billy Hunter is really stupid!

The rule about a player losing their Bird Rights if they are claimed off waivers (and Free Agents who switch teams, like if Tyson Chandler only signed a 1 year deal his Bird Rights would be gone too) is written in plain English

There is no way around it!

Lin will be back

But will Novak sign for the league minimum?

Is a player who truly only has one skill worth more than a league minimum?

The Knicks could sign him for the league min. next year, which then means we own his Bird Rights next year....but that is a huge risk for Novak

I can't imagine any scenerio where we're thinking "Damn, if only we still have Novak on the team", he's incredibly one-dimensional, and that one dimension is pretty relient on his player leaving him to double.

If he moved without the ball or came off screens, or did anything else of great value, things might be different.

All Lin and Novak have to do is be selfless, Lin only negotiates with us and takes a max of 3mil this year and gets his deal next year, Novak takes the minimum and gets his deal next year. If they wanna be here and want us to get better thats the only way.

If Lin takes the full MLE and Novak takes the BAE then we just gotta hope we stay healthy because JR will likely pick up his option and Jeffries says he wants to come back at any cost so essentially it would

Chandler
    Stoudemire
    Anthony
    Fields
    Lin
    Novak
    Jeffries
    Smith
    Harrellson
    Jordan
    Douglas
    2nd Round Pick- Jared Cunningham makes sense here
    Vet Pick Up at PG- Bibby most likely
    Shumpert

Superstar

Let him leave, he can be easily replaced

Veteran

Originally Posted by Rob Low
    Let him leave, he can be easily replaced
    Good luck trying to find a 47% 3pt shooter for 1.1M.

Guys that say let him leave should look at the Knicks game logs this past season and see how many games he had an impact on. If the Knicks don't win arbitration plenty of teams will offer him the mini MLE or bi annual.

Originally Posted by CA7
    All Lin and Novak have to do is be selfless, Lin only negotiates with us and takes a max of 3mil this year and gets his deal next year, Novak takes the minimum and gets his deal next year. If they wanna be here and want us to get better thats the only way.

If Lin takes the full MLE and Novak takes the BAE then we just gotta hope we stay healthy because JR will likely pick up his option and Jeffries says he wants to come back at any cost so essentially it would

Chandler
    Stoudemire
    Anthony
    Fields
    Lin
    Novak
    Jeffries
    Smith
    Harrellson
    Jordan
    Douglas
    2nd Round Pick- Jared Cunningham makes sense here
    Vet Pick Up at PG- Bibby most likely
    Shumpert
    If you were a basketball player that knew other teams wanted you, would you settle for $2 million less?

Actually, if you were just a human being, would you settle for $2 million less? I know I wouldn't. Unless I had really high hopes that my team would win the championship with me next season. Money is money.

I can't really blame Lin if he wants what the market values him as.

Originally Posted by New New York
    So basically Billy Hunter is really stupid!

The rule about a player losing their Bird Rights if they are claimed off waivers (and Free Agents who switch teams, like if Tyson Chandler only signed a 1 year deal his Bird Rights would be gone too) is written in plain English

There is no way around it!

Lin will be back

But will Novak sign for the league minimum?

Is a player who truly only has one skill worth more than a league minimum?

The Knicks could sign him for the league min. next year, which then means we own his Bird Rights next year....but that is a huge risk for Novak
    I'd say Novak is probably worth at least the mini-midlevel exception ($2.5M a year for 2 years) if not more. Not sure if the Knicks still have one to use on him next year, didn't they use it to sign JR Smith last year? Or did they have some leftover dollars from their regular MLE for JR?

Veteran

Originally Posted by tiger0330
    Good luck trying to find a 47% 3pt shooter for 1.1M.

Guys that say let him leave should look at the Knicks game logs this past season and see how many games he had an impact on. If the Knicks don't win arbitration plenty of teams will offer him the mini MLE or bi annual.

Novak with a man on him is useless....LOve what he has done for the Knicks but not a guy like Battier and Miller are more useful.....Novak has a 3 point shot and nothing else....

Not being able to keep Novak will be just the beginning of the Knicks problems for the next 3 - 4 seasons unless they make some critical moves to compensate for the new CBA starting Now.

Trade STAT and/or TD = Keeping Lin, Novak, JR + STAT replacement.

I'll take that any day.

Superstar

Originally Posted by YuvalNYC
    Trade STAT and/or TD = Keeping Lin, Novak, JR + STAT replacement.

I'll take that any day.
    Dude..we're not trading STAT, to keep Novak, are you insane?I liked Novak just as much as the next guy, but i'm not giving up STAT, to keep Novak, did you see what he did in the playoffs, the water boys were more useful.

★The Floor General★ Knicks4Life_1985's Avatar

In my perfect world we resign all our guys and see what we can do for 82 plus camp with Mike Woodson. I am sick of the revolving door my team has been the last 14 years

Originally Posted by Knicks4Life_1985
    In my perfect world we resign all our guys and see what we can do for 82 plus camp with Mike Woodson. I am sick of the revolving door my team has been the last 14 years
    +1

For better or worst we need some stability, tired on waiting for the next FA period and what coach may be available and then waiting on that to manifest

The early and late 90 Knicks took time, moves were made here and there but by in large it was the same roster year in and out with the same coaching staff which translated into winning ball on a consitient level!

Question Mark

Novak can be replaced, i would HATE to lose such a lethal 3 point shooter, but the guy can still be replaced.

IF WE WIN THE CASE and are able to resign Novak and Lin easily....i would go this route in the off-season

-Sign Danny green--Bi -Annual exception?(probably can get more money elsewhere but oh well worth a shot.<-- easily replaces Fields

-Sign Odom--MLE <--- Can play multiple positions, can guard multiple positions and can make plays...........OR sign Nash to the MLE (odom is more realistic)

sign-Reggie Evans <--- Amare's backup, can bring defensive intensity and rebounding off the bench.

sign- Derrick fisher
    -<--- decent vet pg coming off the bench in our price range, not your IDEAL PG off the bench but the guy still has mileage left and can still knock down the open shot, we dont need a flashy PG off the bench just somebody who will keep the game in order and control the pace.

Resign Jeffries- <--- a fully healthy Jeffries can spot some mins off the bench for Chandler as well as bring the defensive intensity and energy.

Draft-- best PG available when our pick comes, for even more pg depth.

your looking at a lineup of

Lin,Fisher,48th pick
    Danny Green,Shump,TD
    Melo,Odom,Novak
    Amare,Reggie evans,Jorts
    Chandler/Jeffries/Jorts

^15 man roster one of the deepest teams in the league.. each player off the bench plays a role and we can switch up our lineups consistently to keep the defense on their heels.

More rebounding, More defense, updated backcourt, and more weapons
    Last edited by NYk_Reloaded718; Jun 14, 2012 at 12:38.

Originally Posted by Almost_famous718
    Novak can be replaced, i would HATE to lose such a lethal 3 point shooter, but the guy can still be replaced.

IF WE WIN THE CASE and are able to resign Novak and Lin easily....i would go this route in the off-season

-Sign Danny green--Bi -Annual exception?(probably can get more money elsewhere but oh well worth a shot.<-- easily replaces Fields

-Sign Odom--MLE <--- Can play multiple positions, can guard multiple positions and can make plays...........OR sign Nash to the MLE (odom is more realistic)

sign-Reggie Evans <--- Amare's backup, can bring defensive intensity and rebounding off the bench.

sign- Derrick fisher-<--- decent vet pg coming off the bench in our price range, not your IDEAL PG off the bench but the guy still has mileage left and can still knock down the open shot, we dont need a flashy PG off the bench just somebody who will keep the game in order and control the pace.

Resign Jeffries- <--- a fully healthy Jeffries can spot some mins off the bench for Chandler as well as bring the defensive intensity and energy.

Draft-- best PG available when our pick comes, for even more pg depth.

your looking at a lineup of

Lin,Fisher,48th pick
    Danny Green,Shump,TD
    Melo,Odom,Novak
    Amare,Reggie evans,Jorts
    Chandler/Jeffries/Jorts

^15 man roster one of the deepest teams in the league.. each player off the bench plays a role and we can switch up our lineups consistently to keep the defense on their heels.

More rebounding, More defense, updated backcourt, and more weapons
    I'm totally cool with this roster. I would even add Deshaun Stevenson as another option at sg for the vet minimum.