View Poll Results: Who do you see as the most important Knick going in to next year?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chandler

0 0%
  • Lin

10 33.33%
  • Carmelo

6 20.00%
  • STAT

14 46.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whose Individual Success Is Most Important To NY Next Season?

Superstar

Default "Individual" Success

"Individual success" is a loaded phrase in a "team" game sport.

For the Knicks to be as successful as the "individual" capacities of their stars should make them, it will require more "team" play. Melo has to limit his time with the ball in his hands on offense -- particularly when he is not really moving -- has to make some more of the passes he has the talent to make, and has to commit himself consistently to defense. He has all the capacity in the world but limits that capacity too often to ISO ball offense.

Amare', despite his athleticism, is dreadful on defense. It does not appear that he has any idea how to play defense and he does not work hard enough on rebounding, which is primarily part of a defensive game. He is just lazy on that side of the court.

We need "individual" improvement from both of them, but that improvement should be manifested in "team" play, not "individual" statistics.

Chandler is fine. We need Lin to be at least slightly better than adequate. Despite his constant movement, I think he tends to spend too much time with the ball. He has to find Melo, Amare' or an open man more quickly. And, in order to facitlitate Lin's passing, Melo, particularly, must do some moving instead of standing in that elbow waiting to start his ISO maneuvers that leave the rest of the team as spectators.

LIn because he wasn't an enough to play in the playoffs he sit on the sidelines and will cash into a check
    He better be as good as Tebow on the jets or NY media will kill em

Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    Which Amare are u talking about?

A) The 2010-11 first option Amare that led us to a 28-26 record before Melo arrived? or
    B) The 2011-12 third/forth option Amare
    The Amare that will play next season.

Superstar

Originally Posted by Oldtimer

For the Knicks to be as successful as the "individual" capacities of their stars should make them, it will require more "team" play. Melo has to limit his time with the ball in his hands on offense -- particularly when he is not really moving -- has to make some more of the passes he has the talent to make, and has to commit himself consistently to defense. He has all the capacity in the world but limits that capacity too often to ISO ball offense.

Amare', despite his athleticism, is dreadful on defense. It does not appear that he has any idea how to play defense and he does not work hard enough on rebounding, which is primarily part of a defensive game. He is just lazy on that side of the court.

We need "individual" improvement from both of them, but that improvement should be manifested in "team" play, not "individual" statistics.

Chandler is fine. We need Lin to be at least slightly better than adequate. Despite his constant movement, I think he tends to spend too much time with the ball. He has to find Melo, Amare' or an open man more quickly. And, in order to facitlitate Lin's passing, Melo, particularly, must do some moving instead of standing in that elbow waiting to start his ISO maneuvers that leave the rest of the team as spectators.
    +1 This post is dead on.

Originally Posted by fender0577
    +1 This post is dead on.
    Strong post for sure. At the same time, I would say Amar'e does indeed have a clue about how to play defense but he simply refuses to be bothered.

Defense is mostly effort. I think All-NBA defense is a higher level, beyond just effort, but the defense Amar'e has been giving us is just lazy and uninspired. He can do better by just giving more of a ****. Some of those moments this season, inexcusable.

Veteran

Agree, and I think we will see these changes once they start putting in quality practices, I'm sure Woody will be running a thorough off season camp. I like what he had to say about Melo's conditioning, developing Stat's post game, accountablity, and having a strong defensive mind set. The Knicks can take Miami, I see tons of potential in this team.

Even though I'm rooting extra hard for Jeremy Lin to be
    a success next season, I'd have to say Amare.

Why? Because even though I missed Lin when he was out,
    the Knicks still did an amazing job without him in the picture.
    Yes, I said amazing. I know they lost, but, in my opinion,
    with ALL the problems they experienced earlier in the season,
    they came together (with Melo's great effort) and gave it
    their all. My theory is that Lin will be a success next season,
    but even if he plays a good enough point guard, the Knicks
    can do greatly if Amare steps it up. (AND, as long as Melo
    can play with Lin as pg.)

P.S. I don't remember if Novak was on your list, but if he
    can improve his defensive play, THAT would be a great asset
    for the Knicks!

Default New year=no excuses

Has to be STAT

Here is the only arguement that Stat has for his lack of production last year

He was injured during the offseason and could not have his usual offseason workout for the first time in a while

His brother died

He never had a legit PG for a decent amount of time. Baron Davis is more of a scoring PG that regressed extremely, Bibby was a no show until the end of the season and playoffs, Shumpert is a 2 guard, JR Smith is a 2 guard and Douglas is terrible SO Amare never had a consistent PG

Now we should resign Lin, Amare will have a legit PG that is a good passer.

Amare will be healthy in the offseason

Amare will have a better coach

Amare will have a full training camp with Tyson, Lin, Melo, and a good coach

Amare has no more excuses if he does not produce at a high level this season.

If Amare does not produce then we all know beyond the shadow of a doubt that he just does not fit with this team anymore.

I was torn between Lin & STAT for this poll, but in the end I had to go with Lin, because PG is the most important position on the floor & without Lin in the lineup we had absolutely zero ball movement & zero orchestration during that playoff sweep we got handed by the Miami Heat. I think if Lin can come into next year with the same aggressive type mindset he had during the Linsanity streak & can cut down on his turnovers, this team will have a legitimate shot at 50+ wins next year (assuming Melo & STAT are playing good basketball themselves too obviously).

That said, I think STAT needs to get back to playing with the type of aggression & explosion that he was doing for us when he first got here. If his knees are shot, then we're in big trouble w/that huge contract of his on the books for the next few years. I really hope he can bounce back this season & show that he's still got plenty left in the tank. We'll need his presence if we're ever going to seriously contend.

Originally Posted by STAT1
    I was torn between Lin & STAT for this poll, but in the end I had to go with Lin, because PG is the most important position on the floor & without Lin in the lineup we had absolutely zero ball movement & zero orchestration during that playoff sweep we got handed by the Miami Heat. I think if Lin can come into next year with the same aggressive type mindset he had during the Linsanity streak & can cut down on his turnovers, this team will have a legitimate shot at 50+ wins next year (assuming Melo & STAT are playing good basketball themselves too obviously).

That said, I think STAT needs to get back to playing with the type of aggression & explosion that he was doing for us when he first got here. If his knees are shot, then we're in big trouble w/that huge contract of his on the books for the next few years. I really hope he can bounce back this season & show that he's still got plenty left in the tank. We'll need his presence if we're ever going to seriously contend.
    But Lin elevated his game, Amare is getting paid max money and regressed, therefore I dont see how people can say Lin.

Nice post, OT. I put STAT's individual success as paramount because I believe he needs to overturn his game and make his weaknesses his strengths.

Behind a defensive leader, I hope he can do that for us.

If he doesn't, he'll be crucified by every Knick fan and sportswriter throughout the US. If that happens, there'll be a meltdown.

I gotta say its Carmelo Anthony

you only go as far as your best player and Melo has to be on top of his game every night. 25-30 points, 8-12 rebounds, 4-7 assists and efficient scoring, 50% from the field on about 18-22 attempts per game, at least 37% from 3 about 3 attempts per game and 85% from the line with about 9 trips per night.

Also he needs to defend like he did in April with passion

Default I hate to say but.....

If Jeremy Lin can run this Offense and get Stat n Melo the ball..THey can be complete team..but Amare n Melo MUST LEAD OFF the Court..and Defense from STAT is a Must..but If Lin Can bring up the ball and become Sound Point Guard..this would be GREAAT!!!

Default success

Not only do we need several guys to succeed. We need to sign Novak and Lin. Which it doesnt look like we will be able to do.
    But if fairytales come true...i think lin is the most important. Then stat. Lin got all the role players playing. He's tough and hopefully the refs will call fouls for him more. Idk how many times his nose got bloodied last year without a foul.

Originally Posted by RealNYK78
    If Jeremy Lin can run this Offense and get Stat n Melo the ball..THey can be complete team..but Amare n Melo MUST LEAD OFF the Court..and Defense from STAT is a Must..but If Lin Can bring up the ball and become Sound Point Guard..this would be GREAAT!!!
    I think Lin will come back alot more polished next season, im not worried about Lin im worried about Amare.. we need him to regain focus and that 2010 season killer instinct