List of Free Agents for the Summer of 2012

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Last edited:

RealNYK78

Rookie
Smart Move will be....

#1 Getting Stat to post n play more defense instead bashing Twitter Followers..

#2...Sign Combo Guards that can defend n handle the ball... Houston's Lee 6-6 defender Combo Guard... ...Spurs Green...

#3..another big Body to play defense...Reggie Evans Camby

#4 ..NOt overpay Lin and have Veteran back up that may need to start...NAsh is a last resort...Felton or Flynn.

#5..Don't sign Novak.. maybe Jr Smith but with Caution...Ray Allen would be more sense coming off the bench but has old legs...could better 6th man...

Wargames

Starter
Update****

Reports are coming out that Ray Allen may favor the Heat. They could amnesty Mike Miller and give Ray Allen the 3 Million. However if they knicks are pushing the cap boundaries so are the Heat and their owner may not be as readily a spender and Dolan so thats in the air.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/14962/another-hall-of-famer-to-heat

Also Randy Foye has expressed interest in coming to the knicks as a Guard. This makes a lot of sense considering the current bottleneck at G that the clippers have and Foye already knows his role as a back up G and had the 2nd highest 3pt % last season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/21177/source-foye-interested-in-knicks

I am ok with Randy Foye over Ray Allen, he's not as good as Allen but he is younger than Allen and would likely fit in better since he can help bolster both guard positions with limited minutes at PG and minutes at SG as well.

Last edited:

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Update****

Reports are coming out that Ray Allen may favor the Heat. They could amnesty Mike Miller and give Ray Allen the 3 Million. However if they knicks are pushing the cap boundaries so are the Heat and their owner may not be as readily a spender and Dolan so thats in the air.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/14962/another-hall-of-famer-to-heat

Also Randy Foye has expressed interest in coming to the knicks as a Guard. This makes a lot of sense considering the current bottleneck at G that the clippers have and Foye already knows his role as a back up G and had the 2nd highest 3pt % last season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/21177/source-foye-interested-in-knicks

I am ok with Randy Foye over Ray Allen, he's not as good as Allen but he is younger than Allen and would likely fit in better since he can help bolster both guard positions with limited minutes at PG and minutes at SG as well.

I wouldn't mind foye he could shine in this system he can play the 2 or the 1 and give us much needed depth in both those areas, i see him as a poor mans OJ Mayo.

p0nder

Starter
if the heat amnestied miller, wouldn't he be a better option? Miller is the one guy i wouldn't mind moving to NY from MIA.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
if the heat amnestied miller, wouldn't he be a better option? Miller is the one guy i wouldn't mind moving to NY from MIA.
Rather pass he has to many injury problems and we cant afford anymore injuries at 2 guard position. We need to try and stay healthy

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
We need good 3 point shooters who can move around picks and get open. You look at the heat, a major part of their success is because they have shooters who can knock down 3 pointers consistently and they can rotate them around. This was one thing that OKC was lacking and it cost them the championship in my opinion. Harden aside, the other guys couldn't knock down shots when Durant/Westbrook were getting double teamed.

Right now our only consistent shooter is Novak but he's the only one. Melo can shoot as well but he's our Lebron so he's the guy going into the paint and kicking out. I'm iffy about JR bc he has flashes of brilliance in offense and his defense isn't bad but I don't know how dedicated he is to winning.

I would take Jesus Shuttlesworth or OJ Mayo any day of the week if they came. I would also consider Billups but I doubt he wants to come back after how we dogged him plus he's probably gonna resign with the Clippers.

tiger0330

Legend
The Knicks are effectively locked out of free agency until the Lin appeal is decided. Chris Sheridan of ESPN wrote this that the Knicks should file an injunction freezing free agency until the appeal is decided. Stern wants to be a dick, we should be also.

NEW YORK ? Free agency opens in less than a week, unless the New York Knicks go to court to halt it.
Is that really possible?
Well, nothing can be ruled out with the Knicks sitting in a state of limbo after the NBA said it would appeal an arbitrator?s decision granting full Bird rights to Jeremy Lin and Steve Novak (along with J.J. Hickson of the Portland Trail Blazers and Chauncey Billups of the Los Angeles Clippers.)
If the ruling stands, the Knicks can match any offer to Lin (a restricted free agent) and Novak (an unrestricted free agent) and still retain their mid-level exception to go after whoever else they want to pursue (Steve Nash? Jason Kidd?). If the ruling is overturned on appeal, the Knicks are certain to lose Novak, and they would not be able to pursue a mid-level veteran point guard to play with Lin ? who they insist they plan to retain.
So here?s the biggest part of the problem, time-wise.
Under NBA collective bargaining rules, when one side wants to appeal an arbitrator?s decision, the procedure is to have the league office and the union agree on the members of a three-person appeals panel, for that body to hold a hearing on the appeal, and then issue a ruling within 20 days.

But it could literally takes months for that process to unfold.

So with the Lin/Novak case in limbo, the Knicks are in limbo, too ? and at an unfair disadvantage in free agency because they are unsure what rules they will be operating under.
If midnight of June 30 approaches and there is still no clarity, one of the Knicks? options would be to seek a temporary restraining order halting ALL teams from negotiating with free agents.
Will it come to that?
There is already talk that a settlement might be reached, but that talk is speculative. And remember, there is still a lot of bad blood between the attorneys for both sides after last year?s 149-day lockout, and these guys aren?t exactly known for working out their differences in a timely manner.
Something to keep an eye on over the rest of this week, because it could throw a giant monkey wrench into the entire free agent process.

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
Complete BS. Are other NBA owners complaining about this or is it just David Stern and his sleazebag cronies?

ChrisN7

Benchwarmer
Ray Allen would be great, as others have said would complement our existing pieces, spreading the floor for Melo, Lin (assuming he signs) and Shump (when healthy).

I would take a look at Tracy McGrady for the Vet Min. Feasibly could backup 3 positions (PG, SG, SF) and would add a veteran presence coming off the bench. There was talk of him signing for less money to come off the bench when we were going after LeBron/Wade/AN Other max contract in 2010 and although age and injuries have taken their toll, maybe a 1 or 2 year Vet Min deal could be of some benefit, especially if (and correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not totally up to speed with cap restrictions) signing for the Vet Min wouldn't affect our cap space/MLE etc too much if at all.

This roster, if possible (like I said, I am far from familiar with cap limitations so this might be totally impossible), would IMO put us in a great position to challenge for a title.

PG: Lin, Nash/Kidd (MLE), Douglas
SG: Fields, Shump, Allen, JR
SF: Melo, McGrady, Novak
PF: Amar'e, Jorts, Odom?? (Bi-Annual exception?? Do we have this? Will Dallas waive/cut him? Lots to think about here)
C: Tyson, Jordan

Plus any draft picks we add...

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
Ray Allen would be great, as others have said would complement our existing pieces, spreading the floor for Melo, Lin (assuming he signs) and Shump (when healthy).

I would take a look at Tracy McGrady for the Vet Min. Feasibly could backup 3 positions (PG, SG, SF) and would add a veteran presence coming off the bench. There was talk of him signing for less money to come off the bench when we were going after LeBron/Wade/AN Other max contract in 2010 and although age and injuries have taken their toll, maybe a 1 or 2 year Vet Min deal could be of some benefit, especially if (and correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not totally up to speed with cap restrictions) signing for the Vet Min wouldn't affect our cap space/MLE etc too much if at all.

This roster, if possible (like I said, I am far from familiar with cap limitations so this might be totally impossible), would IMO put us in a great position to challenge for a title.

PG: Lin, Nash/Kidd (MLE), Douglas
SG: Fields, Shump, Allen, JR
SF: Melo, McGrady, Novak
PF: Amar'e, Jorts, Odom?? (Bi-Annual exception?? Do we have this? Will Dallas waive/cut him? Lots to think about here)
C: Tyson, Jordan

Plus any draft picks we add...

We can't get Nash and Allen. It's either or and that's if the NBA loses the appeal for Bird Rights and Allen or Nash decide they're OK with taking $3 mill for the season. The only way we would be able to get them both is if either or both were willing to sign for vet minimum (we would use the MLE for the other) which is highly unlikely. The same applies for Odom and McGrady although I think it's more probable that they would sign for vet minimum.

I still think Ray Allen will resign with the Celtics and would be very surprised to see him leave them. Not sure where Nash will go. Hopefully neither go to the Heat.

I think I just jinxed it.

Odom is a whipped bitch that wants to play for the clippers just because his ho wife wants to live in LA. He tanked with Dallas when they conceivably could have been championship caliber.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Odom is a whipped bitch that wants to play for the clippers just because his ho wife wants to live in LA. He tanked with Dallas when they conceivably could have been championship caliber.
i dont think the mavs would of went far even if Odom was playing to his full potential, Not signing tyson put a hole in their defense big time, there D was still pretty good but not championship material like last season

Wargames

Starter
With all the recent news about Ray Allen to the Heat being a done deal and Randy Foye apparently wanting NY I'm thinking maybe the knicks should pick up Foye and DeShawn Stevenson with their Mini MLE and BAE and see if Kidd is willing to come to NY for the minimum.

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
With all the recent news about Ray Allen to the Heat being a done deal and Randy Foye apparently wanting NY I'm thinking maybe the knicks should pick up Foye and DeShawn Stevenson with their Mini MLE and BAE and see if Kidd is willing to come to NY for the minimum.

I actually would be all over this provided we draft Scott Machado just in case we can't secure a veteran back up PG. All of the posters on KO should realise that Nash and Allen won't be coming here.

Only thing I would suggest is that we don't sign Stevenson if we can secure Foye. Chances are that the Knicks will re-sign Fields so I think between JR/Fields/Shumpert (when he returns) we will be sufficient at the SG position. Wouldn't mind our BAE going to a younger version of JJ. OR potentially using it on Kenyon Martin if he falls through the cracks.

mafra

Legend
I hope we get OJ Mayo, Kirk H & a gritty-gutty big center to backup TC.

LIN (Hinrich or Flynn)
Mayo (Shumpert)
Anthony (Novak)
Amar'e (Joorts)
Chandler (Jeffries, vet OC)

Take a gamble on waiver wire guys (akin to what we've down w/ S-Williams & S-Novak the last 2 years.

This is probably our best 12-man we can field.

Looking at post season... That starting 5 with a bench rotation of Hinrich, Shump, Novak, Jeffries & another BIG... That might do it.

NOW... Hinrich is probably a longshot, especially if we snag Mayo.... So go after Jonny Flynn instead.

Last edited:

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
"The Timberwolves have decided not to extend qualifying offers to Michael Beasley and Anthony Randolph. They're now unrestricted free agents."

AlexKennedyNBA (Alex Kennedy)