NBA Drops Bird Rights Appeal!

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Good news, everyone! According to the Post, the NBA has dropped its appeal of arbitrator Kenneth Dam?s ruling that waived players (cough?.LinandNovak?.cough) retain their Bird Rights when they are claimed off waivers. Marc Berman quotes a league source as expecting the matter to be settled by Sunday, which would mean that Lin and Novak would enter into free agency on time and with their Bird Rights in tact. I have no idea what the settlement will entail. I?m certain there are remaining unsettled issues that the NBPA will happily negotiate away to ensure their victory won?t be overturned and avoid the appellate quagmire that would cast an enormous penumbra of doubt on the beginning of free agency. But ultimately, none of that matters at all because the bottom line is that the Knicks will be able to re-sign Novak, Lin, and probably Landry Fields without having to use their Mid-Level Exception. This will be the first time in about a decade that the Knicks will be able to return a somewhat promising team almost entirely in tact. The continuity is staggering for a fanbase that has grown accustomed to more churn than the Amish. Maybe it?s because I?m a cap-nerd lawyer, but this is literally the most unmitigated good news in recent memory for me as a Knicks fan. Even the Stoudemire signing (huge, uninsurable contract), Melo trade (gave up a LOT of assets), and Chandler acquisition (used the amnesty provision on Billups? expiring deal) came with gigantic costs and caveats. This is just pure, unadulterated, uncut goodness. Enjoy it.
http://knicksbricks.com/?p=2002#.T-3Sq3knO_U.twitter

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Even the Stoudemire signing (huge, uninsurable contract), Melo trade (gave up a LOT of assets), and Chandler acquisition (used the amnesty provision on Billups’ expiring deal) came with gigantic costs and caveats. This is just pure, unadulterated, uncut goodness.

And exceptional luck.

LOVING IT!

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
^ We did get plenty of help from the draft, that free roster spot we kept by drafting Papanikolaou is worth more than most of you think. We've got 5 players under contracts, 2 with team option, 4 with Bird rights and 4 free agents. I assume that within the first couple days after FA opened we'll have 12 out of 15 spots locked:
Anthony, Bibby, Chandler, Douglas, Fields, Harrellson, Jeffries, Lin, Novak, Shumpert, Smith and Stoudemire.
That leaves us with just three roster spots to fill all our needs. Let's say we sign Foye with our taxpayer MLE and then a backup PG with the bi-annual exception (maybe some sign and trade involving Gadzurić, Jordan and Papa's draft rights?), 14 spots covered. Next we add a vet on a favorable position and that's it. I don't see any player that we could use with our #48 pick.

Paul1355

All Star
^ We did get plenty of help from the draft, that free roster spot we kept by drafting Papanikolaou is worth more than most of you think. We've got 5 players under contracts, 2 with team option, 4 with Bird rights and 4 free agents. I assume that within the first couple days after FA opened we'll have 12 out of 15 spots locked:
Anthony, Bibby, Chandler, Douglas, Fields, Harrellson, Jeffries, Lin, Novak, Shumpert, Smith and Stoudemire.
That leaves us with just three roster spots to fill all our needs. Let's say we sign Foye with our taxpayer MLE and then a backup PG with the bi-annual exception (maybe some sign and trade involving Gadzurić, Jordan and Papa's draft rights?), 14 spots covered. Next we add a vet on a favorable position and that's it. I don't see any player that we could use with our #48 pick.

Bibby MIGHT come back because he played fairly well at the end of the year into the playoffs but he sure is not a lock by any means.
Douglas might be traded

We could have used our 48th pick on Scott Machado so we dont have to rely on Douglas or Bibby if someone got hurt.

We need depth at the PG position and we should have drafted Machado or Johnson Odom just in case.

Wargames

Starter
Actually I was wondering if the knicks let jordan, and gadzuric walk and then pay someone to take Toney off the books (for 3 million in cash) could they in theory give a full MLE to a player? O.J. Mayo didn't get a qualifying offer from the grizzlies.

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
Targets in order for Mid level exception, should they choose to accept it:

Nash - Not going to happen period.
Allen - Lock to Miami everyone says
Miller - My favourite, but will be back at Denver for more money
Mayo - Will get much higher offers from others teams
Kidd - Plausible, hates Avery Johnson so may not follow D-Will
Foye - Probably will get it, solid 3pt shooter and back up PG
Hickson - Intruiging, may be back in the Rose Garden
Felton - if he will sign for 3 mil...i dont think he is worth 5 mil

Sorry to be Johnny Rain Cloud but just being realistic.

CoolClyde

WTF does this mean in layman's terms

Waived Players Will Have Same Bird Rights As If Traded

Jun 29, 2012 8:37 PM EDT
nyk_40.gif
The NBA announced that it has reached a settlement agreement with the NBA Players Association of the recent arbitration proceeding filed on behalf of Chauncey Billups, J.J. Hickson, Jeremy Lin and Steve Novak.

Under the settlement, the union agreed to limit the scope of the ruling by arbitrator Kenneth Dam in exchange for the league's agreement to drop its appeal. The rule will now be that players who are claimed from waivers will have the same "Early Bird" rights as if they had been traded, but will not have full "Bird" rights unless they are claimed through the league's amnesty procedure.

Below are the players on whose behalf the arbitration proceeding was brought and their status when free agency opens on July 1:

Chauncey Billups - Bird
J.J. Hickson - Bird
Jeremy Lin - Early Bird
Steve Novak - Early Bird

Via RealGM Staff Report

--------------------------------------------------------------
OK someone splain to me the difference between Bird and Early Bird and what this means to the Knicks re JLin and Novakaine. thankyou.

and don't be starting a new thread, dammit!

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Waived Players Will Have Same Bird Rights As If Traded

Jun 29, 2012 8:37 PM EDT
nyk_40.gif
The NBA announced that it has reached a settlement agreement with the NBA Players Association of the recent arbitration proceeding filed on behalf of Chauncey Billups, J.J. Hickson, Jeremy Lin and Steve Novak.

Under the settlement, the union agreed to limit the scope of the ruling by arbitrator Kenneth Dam in exchange for the league's agreement to drop its appeal. The rule will now be that players who are claimed from waivers will have the same "Early Bird" rights as if they had been traded, but will not have full "Bird" rights unless they are claimed through the league's amnesty procedure.

Below are the players on whose behalf the arbitration proceeding was brought and their status when free agency opens on July 1:

Chauncey Billups - Bird
J.J. Hickson - Bird
Jeremy Lin - Early Bird
Steve Novak - Early Bird

Via RealGM Staff Report

--------------------------------------------------------------
OK someone splain to me the difference between Bird and Early Bird and what this means to the Knicks re JLin and Novakaine. thankyou.

I believe it means, good sir, that you need to cop one in the mud button from a German shot putter named Gretel, with a strap on named " colon buster 5000 ".

That's what it means.:fellatio:

Sage

Rotation player

It's just amount of time. To have full bird rights you have to have spent 3 years with the team (or previous team if you're retaining bird rights from trade/waivers). Early Bird rights is two years. You can also spend more to retain a player with full bird rights than early bird.

Paul1355

All Star
Sorry to be Johnny Rain Cloud but just being realistic.

after doing more research in the asking prices, you are right

Most realistic options on that list are Kidd and Foye

Yet I think Kidd can be had maybe for mini mid level at 1.9 mil, hopefully

We can also look at Grant Hill, or some other cheap PG

petescud

Starter
i could care less that Bibby and Gadzuric return. I don't want either. Yeah, Bibby played well at the end of the year, but during the year he sucked, and he's older. I also could care less if Douglas gets traded, and i'm crossed up about JR Smith. The guy is unstable minded. Ok, out of the group, JR Smith for another try.

KingofNy

Starter
don't forget its $3M + Lin, Novak, Fields, J.R. .....
One drawback is their mid-level exception, general manager Glen Grunwald said, likely will be only $3 million and not the standard $5 million because they could well be a taxpayer.

The whole point of this mess was to get to keep our MLE to sign a guy like Nash and keep our guys. We might not be able to sign Felton with $3M. I would've rather taken our chances with the appeal process because no one ever wins appeals. Now this costs us $2M and Steve Nash. Not happy.

KingofNy

Starter
after doing more research in the asking prices, you are right

Most realistic options on that list are Kidd and Foye

Yet I think Kidd can be had maybe for mini mid level at 1.9 mil, hopefully

We can also look at Grant Hill, or some other cheap PG

Jason Kidd, Andre Miller, Raymond Felton and Jameer Nelson will all probably command more than $3M. Well maybe not Felton. I can see us getting Felton back and that's about it.

Paul1355

All Star
Jason Kidd, Andre Miller, Raymond Felton and Jameer Nelson will all probably command more than $3M. Well maybe not Felton. I can see us getting Felton back and that's about it.

this is exactly why we needed to draft a PG like Scott Machado or Darius Johnson Odom