Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We need to sign Steve Nash!

Default We need to sign Steve Nash!

Now that all of this Bird Rights nonsense is out of the way, we should have the flexibility to sign one or two quality free agents.

The two that I'd really like to see come here are Nash and/or Odom.

If we needed to use the full MLE on Nash that'd be fine in my opinion.

We need a point that has the authority and know-how to distribute the ball to Melo and Amare where they like it, while also getting everyone else involved.

Lin could play the two, or come off the bench.

Although Woodson isn't exactly Nash's ideal coach to play for, I think the attraction of playing in the city where he makes his home, where his kids go to school, is a big selling point for him. He also, to put it very simply, loves NYC.

I think he'd relish the opportunity to go to war with Amare again and to have a bonafide scorer in Melo to draw assists from, as well as a center behind him on D who can erase some of his defensive mistakes.

We should really try to pursue Nash guys. Our window to win it all is right now. Nash's window is closing and we're on the cusp with him in the fold.

He'd be great to have on this team.

Thoughts?

Lemme make this straight for you bro:
    - we don't have the full $5M MLE, because our payroll is going to increase way above the luxury tax threshold all we've got at this point is the so-called taxpayer MLE which is $3M which I suppose Nash will never sign for.
    - Odom just got traded to the Clippers and believe me, once he's back in LA he isn't going anywhere.

I need to delete this thread then lol.

Been busy with a move and haven't been following the league closely.

Sorry.

Feel free to delete/remove mods..

Originally Posted by ronoranina
    Now that all of this Bird Rights nonsense is out of the way, we should have the flexibility to sign one or two quality free agents.

The two that I'd really like to see come here are Nash and/or Odom.

If we needed to use the full MLE on Nash that'd be fine in my opinion.

We need a point that has the authority and know-how to distribute the ball to Melo and Amare where they like it, while also getting everyone else involved.

Lin could play the two, or come off the bench.

Although Woodson isn't exactly Nash's ideal coach to play for, I think the attraction of playing in the city where he makes his home, where his kids go to school, is a big selling point for him. He also, to put it very simply, loves NYC.

I think he'd relish the opportunity to go to war with Amare again and to have a bonafide scorer in Melo to draw assists from, as well as a center behind him on D who can erase some of his defensive mistakes.

We should really try to pursue Nash guys. Our window to win it all is right now. Nash's window is closing and we're on the cusp with him in the fold.

He'd be great to have on this team.

Thoughts?
    Dude. You just have to have something MDA related on this team. Dont you? Just kidding.

I think he'd be great to have to teach Lin the nuances of the game and to spell him for 15-20 mins a night. We might actually get better at the position when he's on the court...

Superstar

Shooting Guard is more important need imo. If we use our Mle is should be on a solid starting shooting guard. Lin is our starter for now imo, while he isn't as good as Nash on offense he actually plays a form of defense which nash doesn't so it evens out. Not to mention him being Younger more athletic and who is trending up instead of down, and the only star Knick who is synonymous with us, not a star we took from somewhere else.

Shump will be out for a good portion of next season, and even then I don't think he should start yet. We need a guy that can hit open shots with consistency and he just can't do that yet. Smith is too streaky, and fields can't hit open shots either. Though I would like to bring them both back so we at least have some tradable assests for the future.

I think more realistic options for us with the $3M exception is Jason Kidd, Ray Felton, Randy Foye or Mikael Pietrus.

Steve Nash is not the right PG to put next to Melo. Guys like Kidd and Mo are much better fits.

Originally Posted by tripleaamin9
    Steve Nash is not the right PG to put next to Melo. Guys like Kidd and Mo are much better fits.
    Why?? Nash is a great passer and super aware. He'd make Melo even better IMO.

Originally Posted by ronoranina
    Why?? Nash is a great passer and super aware. He'd make Melo even better IMO.
    Nash is also one of the worst defensive players in the league.......... A key reason why he's never won a ring.

His offensive numbers would likely be better than Lin (although age might be an issue), but he'd win fewer games, because in contrast to Lin, Nash was never a two-way player.

If Nash comes to the Knicks, I'd doubt he'd accept a bench role, and this team would take on yet another "Carmelo/Amare" like dilemma....... (Nash should be paired with Amare.) Tyson would be in foul trouble almost every game (Nash almost never takes fouls- his bigs bear the brunt). And fans would be in-fighting over who should be the starting PG.

I happen to live in Phoenix, and have seen Nash play numerous times. If you want offensive stats, he's a good choice. But if you want a championship, look elsewhere. (Jason Kidd would be a better option, only because he is a better defender.)

Originally Posted by tkrieger
    Nash is also one of the worst defensive players in the league.......... A key reason why he's never won a ring.

His offensive numbers would likely be better than Lin (although age might be an issue), but he'd win fewer games, because in contrast to Lin, Nash was never a two-way player.

If Nash comes to the Knicks, I'd doubt he'd accept a bench role, and this team would take on yet another "Carmelo/Amare" like dilemma....... (Nash should be paired with Amare.) Tyson would be in foul trouble almost every game (Nash almost never takes fouls- his bigs bear the brunt). And fans would be in-fighting over who should be the starting PG.

I happen to live in Phoenix, and have seen Nash play numerous times. If you want offensive stats, he's a good choice. But if you want a championship, look elsewhere. (Jason Kidd would be a better option, only because he is a better defender.)
    Please, Nash almost took his team to the Playoffs the last two seasons, and he isn't the bad defender people say he is. Nash is also a sniper behind the arc, so he's spread the floor too. Unless Lin returns to his play of the two week stretch a long time, Nash is a lot better than him.

Originally Posted by tripleaamin9
    Mo Williams lol. Come on now...

Did we all forget that thread about Nash not wanting to come to the Knicks?

I want Ray Allan more than anything at this point

Originally Posted by Ghostowl
    Did we all forget that thread about Nash not wanting to come to the Knicks?

I want Ray Allan more than anything at this point
    I'd rather look to guys like Kirk Hinrich, Delonte West, Kyle Korver(may be bought out) and James Anderson

Nash doesn't fit, period and Allen wants to run to Miami

Originally Posted by CA7
    I'd rather look to guys like Kirk Hinrich, Delonte West, Kyle Korver(may be bought out) and James Anderson

Nash doesn't fit, period and Allen wants to run to Miami
    Kirck Hinrich seems like the guy for the job. I'm not too crazed on the idea of having Nash in NY.

Delonte West....I have empathy for the guy. But for the sake of basketball, championships, and the game itself, the Knicks really have to steer clear of him. There's just no knowing what he will go through during the year. Who knows if he is even trying to get help right now. I wish the guy the best, but it wouldn't bring the Knicks closer to the Championship.

Kyle Korver isn't OUTSTANDING, but he is consistent as anyone. His career stats have no dropoff. If history prevails, you know exactly what you are paying for when you take him.

To be honest, I never thought of James Anderson. He had few minutes, no real time to demonstrate anything. Probably not the right guy for this job at the moment.

We dont NEED Nash, he's not a must have but i do like the Idea of pairing him back up with Amare, because were going to need him to turn it up this season if we want to go far and have one the best records in the eastern conference + make a deep playoff run.

Nash for 3 Mill? With no Dantoni? Thats a long-shot but still possible.

Nash -3mill
    Foye -BAE

Say we did get Nash i know this lineup would be highly unlikey to happen but how would you feel about this lineup

Lin
    Foye
    Fields (until shump returns)
    Melo
    Chandler

bench

Nash
    JR
    Novak
    Amare
    Jorts

Nash is getting old having him come off the bench to keep him fresh for playoffs would be ideal.

Stat seems to always get injured, having him come off the bench is also Ideal.

Nash and Stat off the bench is a nightmare for any team in the league

All this would probably never happen but it sounds cool =p dont judge me lol.
    Last edited by NYk_Reloaded718; Jun 30, 2012 at 07:29.