We need to sign Steve Nash!

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Now that all of this Bird Rights nonsense is out of the way, we should have the flexibility to sign one or two quality free agents.

The two that I'd really like to see come here are Nash and/or Odom.

If we needed to use the full MLE on Nash that'd be fine in my opinion.

We need a point that has the authority and know-how to distribute the ball to Melo and Amare where they like it, while also getting everyone else involved.

Lin could play the two, or come off the bench.

Although Woodson isn't exactly Nash's ideal coach to play for, I think the attraction of playing in the city where he makes his home, where his kids go to school, is a big selling point for him. He also, to put it very simply, loves NYC.

I think he'd relish the opportunity to go to war with Amare again and to have a bonafide scorer in Melo to draw assists from, as well as a center behind him on D who can erase some of his defensive mistakes.

We should really try to pursue Nash guys. Our window to win it all is right now. Nash's window is closing and we're on the cusp with him in the fold.

He'd be great to have on this team. :thumbsup::gony:

Thoughts?

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Lemme make this straight for you bro:
- we don't have the full $5M MLE, because our payroll is going to increase way above the luxury tax threshold all we've got at this point is the so-called taxpayer MLE which is $3M which I suppose Nash will never sign for.
- Odom just got traded to the Clippers and believe me, once he's back in LA he isn't going anywhere.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I need to delete this thread then lol.

Been busy with a move and haven't been following the league closely.

Sorry.

Feel free to delete/remove mods..

Now that all of this Bird Rights nonsense is out of the way, we should have the flexibility to sign one or two quality free agents.

The two that I'd really like to see come here are Nash and/or Odom.

If we needed to use the full MLE on Nash that'd be fine in my opinion.

We need a point that has the authority and know-how to distribute the ball to Melo and Amare where they like it, while also getting everyone else involved.

Lin could play the two, or come off the bench.

Although Woodson isn't exactly Nash's ideal coach to play for, I think the attraction of playing in the city where he makes his home, where his kids go to school, is a big selling point for him. He also, to put it very simply, loves NYC.

I think he'd relish the opportunity to go to war with Amare again and to have a bonafide scorer in Melo to draw assists from, as well as a center behind him on D who can erase some of his defensive mistakes.

We should really try to pursue Nash guys. Our window to win it all is right now. Nash's window is closing and we're on the cusp with him in the fold.

He'd be great to have on this team. :thumbsup::gony:

Thoughts?

Dude. You just have to have something MDA related on this team. Dont you? :lol: Just kidding.

I think he'd be great to have to teach Lin the nuances of the game and to spell him for 15-20 mins a night. We might actually get better at the position when he's on the court...

Forrest17

Rotation player
Shooting Guard is more important need imo. If we use our Mle is should be on a solid starting shooting guard. Lin is our starter for now imo, while he isn't as good as Nash on offense he actually plays a form of defense which nash doesn't so it evens out. Not to mention him being Younger more athletic and who is trending up instead of down, and the only star Knick who is synonymous with us, not a star we took from somewhere else.

Shump will be out for a good portion of next season, and even then I don't think he should start yet. We need a guy that can hit open shots with consistency and he just can't do that yet. Smith is too streaky, and fields can't hit open shots either. Though I would like to bring them both back so we at least have some tradable assests for the future.

STAT1

Starter
I think more realistic options for us with the $3M exception is Jason Kidd, Ray Felton, Randy Foye or Mikael Pietrus.

tkrieger

Benchwarmer
Why?? Nash is a great passer and super aware. He'd make Melo even better IMO.
Nash is also one of the worst defensive players in the league.......... A key reason why he's never won a ring.

His offensive numbers would likely be better than Lin (although age might be an issue), but he'd win fewer games, because in contrast to Lin, Nash was never a two-way player.

If Nash comes to the Knicks, I'd doubt he'd accept a bench role, and this team would take on yet another "Carmelo/Amare" like dilemma....... (Nash should be paired with Amare.) Tyson would be in foul trouble almost every game (Nash almost never takes fouls- his bigs bear the brunt). And fans would be in-fighting over who should be the starting PG.

I happen to live in Phoenix, and have seen Nash play numerous times. If you want offensive stats, he's a good choice. But if you want a championship, look elsewhere. (Jason Kidd would be a better option, only because he is a better defender.)

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Nash is also one of the worst defensive players in the league.......... A key reason why he's never won a ring.

His offensive numbers would likely be better than Lin (although age might be an issue), but he'd win fewer games, because in contrast to Lin, Nash was never a two-way player.

If Nash comes to the Knicks, I'd doubt he'd accept a bench role, and this team would take on yet another "Carmelo/Amare" like dilemma....... (Nash should be paired with Amare.) Tyson would be in foul trouble almost every game (Nash almost never takes fouls- his bigs bear the brunt). And fans would be in-fighting over who should be the starting PG.

I happen to live in Phoenix, and have seen Nash play numerous times. If you want offensive stats, he's a good choice. But if you want a championship, look elsewhere. (Jason Kidd would be a better option, only because he is a better defender.)
Please, Nash almost took his team to the Playoffs the last two seasons, and he isn't the bad defender people say he is. Nash is also a sniper behind the arc, so he's spread the floor too. Unless Lin returns to his play of the two week stretch a long time, Nash is a lot better than him.

Ghostowl

Benchwarmer
Did we all forget that thread about Nash not wanting to come to the Knicks?

I want Ray Allan more than anything at this point

CA7

Scoring Champ
Did we all forget that thread about Nash not wanting to come to the Knicks?

I want Ray Allan more than anything at this point

I'd rather look to guys like Kirk Hinrich, Delonte West, Kyle Korver(may be bought out) and James Anderson

Nash doesn't fit, period and Allen wants to run to Miami

BrianMan

Benchwarmer
I'd rather look to guys like Kirk Hinrich, Delonte West, Kyle Korver(may be bought out) and James Anderson

Nash doesn't fit, period and Allen wants to run to Miami

Kirck Hinrich seems like the guy for the job. I'm not too crazed on the idea of having Nash in NY.

Delonte West....I have empathy for the guy. But for the sake of basketball, championships, and the game itself, the Knicks really have to steer clear of him. There's just no knowing what he will go through during the year. Who knows if he is even trying to get help right now. I wish the guy the best, but it wouldn't bring the Knicks closer to the Championship.

Kyle Korver isn't OUTSTANDING, but he is consistent as anyone. His career stats have no dropoff. If history prevails, you know exactly what you are paying for when you take him.

To be honest, I never thought of James Anderson. He had few minutes, no real time to demonstrate anything. Probably not the right guy for this job at the moment.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
We dont NEED Nash, he's not a must have but i do like the Idea of pairing him back up with Amare, because were going to need him to turn it up this season if we want to go far and have one the best records in the eastern conference + make a deep playoff run.

Nash for 3 Mill? With no Dantoni? Thats a long-shot but still possible.

Nash -3mill
Foye -BAE

Say we did get Nash i know this lineup would be highly unlikey to happen but how would you feel about this lineup

Lin
Foye
Fields (until shump returns)
Melo
Chandler

bench

Nash
JR
Novak
Amare
Jorts

Nash is getting old having him come off the bench to keep him fresh for playoffs would be ideal.

Stat seems to always get injured, having him come off the bench is also Ideal.

Nash and Stat off the bench is a nightmare for any team in the league :)

All this would probably never happen but it sounds cool =p dont judge me lol.

Last edited:

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
I'm surprised that some of you guys think that Nash is a bad fit for the Knicks. IMO, Nash is the best fit for PG for us. (Although there's only a slim chance we actually land him.

PROS
1. His perimeter shooting is exceptional and will ultimately help us space the floor for our frontcourt.
2. Pick n' roll with Stoudemire
3. Tested floor general who will stabilize the offense
4. We need veteran PG with lots of playoff experience
5. Perfect teacher for Lin to aid his growth as a legitimate NBA PG

CONS
1. Too old
2. Terrible defender

The pros outweigh the cons for me. We have the DPOY to clean up most of the mistakes defensively, and we have JLin to spell him if Nash needs to rest up.

BananaSauce

Benchwarmer
We dont NEED Nash, he's not a must have but i do like the Idea of pairing him back up with Amare, because were going to need him to turn it up this season if we want to go far and have one the best records in the eastern conference + make a deep playoff run.

Nash for 3 Mill? With no Dantoni? Thats a long-shot but still possible.

Nash -3mill
Foye -BAE

Say we did get Nash i know this lineup would be highly unlikey to happen but how would you feel about this lineup

Lin
Foye
Fields (until shump returns)
Melo
Chandler

bench

Nash
JR
Novak
Amare
Jorts

Nash is getting old having him come off the bench to keep him fresh for playoffs would be ideal.

Stat seems to always get injured, having him come off the bench is also Ideal.

Nash and Stat off the bench is a nightmare for any team in the league :)

All this would probably never happen but it sounds cool =p dont judge me lol.

yes, i like that.:peace:

also this rotation...

nash
foye
jr/novak
melo
tyson

-4 able to penetrate
-4 able to hit outside 3's
-4 able to creat their own shots
-3 able to fast break transitions 3 1/2 if melo joins.
-2 perimeter defenders
-1 bad dude in the middle

the combinations are endless:smokin:

tkrieger

Benchwarmer
Please, Nash almost took his team to the Playoffs the last two seasons, and he isn't the bad defender people say he is.

I've seen him play on numerous occasions...... Including games I attended at America West Arena/US Airways Center......... His defense alone is why IMO he should have never won an MVP............ The award has become a farce.

(John Stockton never won an MVP, yet I thought he was a better player and FAR better defender.)

If Nash couldn't play defense and bring a championship in his prime, do you really believe he'd be able to do so at 38??

If offensive efficiency alone won championships, Steve Nash would be a great option. As would Bernard King and Dominique Wilkins in the past. (Both were great offensively but never won a title because their defense was a liability.) But unfortunately, offensive play alone doesn't cut it. Even this season, the Miami Heat had a lot of offensive firepower, but the defense was what made the difference. LeBron James and Dwyane Wade made big defensive plays, Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant did not. (Westbrook's defense during the Finals was closer to that of Steve Nash than that of Jeremy Lin. Westbrook needs to improve in that part of his game, in order to get to the top.)

Last edited: