Official Free Agency Thread

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
Another PF, they already have humphries, Tetzovic, and Evans... i guess you can never have to many bigs i doubt he gets playing time unless lopez goes down

Lopez is their only legit center on the roster. I can see Evans and Hump sliding over to give Lopez a blow. Teletovic is more of a finesse 4, can't see him playing 5.

On another note, Josh Harrellson is working out for the Heat.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Lopez is their only legit center on the roster. I can see Evans and Hump sliding over to give Lopez a blow. Teletovic is more of a finesse 4, can't see him playing 5.

On another note, Josh Harrellson is working out for the Heat.

Nooooo_(1).gif

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Chris Andersen is amenable to signing a veteran?s minimum deal with Miami.

Andersen was released earlier this summer by the Nuggets and will still collect $4.5 million next season under the league's amnesty provision.

Via Ira Winderman/South Florida Sun-Sentinel

damn-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1297.gif

finestrg

Rotation player
Rashad McCants?

Read on Hoopshype today that McCants was on the verge of playing ball somewhere in France, then his French team (SIG Strasbourg) backed out after he failed a physical. McCants is on his way back to the States.

http://www.sportando.net/eng/europe/france/42876/rashad-mccants-sig-strasbourg-part-ways.html

Don't know how bad the injury or ailment is but if it's something we can work with that's not too bad, maybe we give this guy a look. I know it's been said that he may not have had the best attitude in the past but he's got experience (which seems to be a requisite for the Knicks' front office for any FA they consider) and to be fair, he's a very solid offensive player with good talent. I dunno man -- I think we could do far worse than Rashad McCants on a vet. minimum deal for one of the final roster spots. What do you guys think? Should we investigate this or pass?

finestrg

Rotation player
And what's up with Donte Greene only getting a non-guaranteed deal with the Nets? I read it may be nothing more than a training camp invite...Really? 6'11" with that talent and that amount of upside? We're talking about a player that has a good chance to be an even better version of Tim Thomas here. Wow..See this pisses me off a little -- if Glen would've called Greene's agent and offered a guaranteed vet min. deal, even for 1 yr, we probably could've gotten this guy. Would've been a real nice young player that we could've picked up cheap to backup both STAT and Melo. We had a little bit of a bidding war with the Nets last off-season over Shawne Williams and lost out. Now we have a chance to get a far superior player for even less money and we pass??? Huh?? Watch -- we passed on Greene, won't get DJ White, pass on McCants etc. and start the season with Chris Copeland (looks like there's some talent there but let's be honest, the dude's practically a complete unknown) and Chris Smith..Oh yeah, and Kurt Thomas who's about 100 years old...Come on man..I gotta give the Nets a lot of credit -- they're really being aggressive retooling that team. Us on the other hand--I dunno man, I feel like we've gotten complacent a little bit all of a sudden. I don't think we're good enough to let a talent like Donte Greene go to a division rival like that for basically nothing. How did we not get involved in that?? Someone explain it to me. For the amount of money we're talking about here, I look at adding a talent like Donte Greene as a complete no-brainer.

And what's up with Donte Greene only getting a non-guaranteed deal with the Nets? I read it may be nothing more than a training camp invite...Really? 6'11" with that talent and that amount of upside? We're talking about a player that has a good chance to be an even better version of Tim Thomas here. Wow..See this pisses me off a little -- if Glen would've called Greene's agent and offered a guaranteed vet min. deal, even for 1 yr, we probably could've gotten this guy. Would've been a real nice young player that we could've picked up cheap to backup both STAT and Melo. We had a little bit of a bidding war with the Nets last off-season over Shawne Williams and lost out. Now we have a chance to get a far superior player for even less money and we pass??? Huh?? Watch -- we passed on Greene, won't get DJ White, pass on McCants etc. and start the season with Chris Copeland (looks like there's some talent there but let's be honest, the dude's practically a complete unknown) and Chris Smith..Oh yeah, and Kurt Thomas who's about 100 years old...Come on man..I gotta give the Nets a lot of credit -- they're really being aggressive retooling that team. Us on the other hand--I dunno man, I feel like we've gotten complacent a little bit all of a sudden. I don't think we're good enough to let a talent like Donte Greene go to a division rival like that for basically nothing. How did we not get involved in that?? Someone explain it to me. For the amount of money we're talking about here, I look at adding a talent like Donte Greene as a complete no-brainer.
I agree that Donte Greene does have potential but I feel you are overrating him a bit. At 6'11 he is an inefficient scorer and a weak rebounder, I think there are still better options out there. I wouldn't mind seeing DJ White backing up STAT though. I'm kind of sold that K-mart isn't coming here, if he wanted to come here he would've been signed by now imo. I don't see why you guys aren't mentioning Amundson more, he is the true definition of a hustle player and would bring energy, rebounding, and defense.

finestrg

Rotation player
I agree that Donte Greene does have potential but I feel you are overrating him a bit. At 6'11 he is an inefficient scorer and a weak rebounder, I think there are still better options out there. I wouldn't mind seeing DJ White backing up STAT though. I'm kind of sold that K-mart isn't coming here, if he wanted to come here he would've been signed by now imo. I don't see why you guys aren't mentioning Amundson more, he is the true definition of a hustle player and would bring energy, rebounding, and defense.

Good input as always bro...Valid points on Greene. Can't really argue what you said although for the price (sounds like this guy didn't even get a guaranteed contract from the Nets, even a 1-yr deal---for a guy with his upside, I find that hard to believe), and considering we have a need at backup forward (esp. a guy that can score), I think we should've taken a chance here. What's a one year deal on a player with his upside? If he didn't pan out, we wave bye-bye at yr's end. No harm, no foul. No skin off our back. No future salary tied up...My thing is what if he did pan out though? Then we just got a player with huge upside for next to nothing... 6'11" 230-ish, can play both forward spots...There's so much to like here..I know he hasn't proven anything yet, but has he really had a chance to do so? Played only 1 yr at 'Cuse, then only played sparingly for a poor team for a couple of seasons...To me, a player with Greene's ability will always be head and shoulders above a guy like Lou Amundson. Not a knock on Amundson at all -- I like hustle players and he's a good one -- I just feel with Chandler starting at C (the DPOY), the Brewer addition, Camby/KT off the bench (if Woody decides to even use Thomas and if he's even got anything left to offer), Shump due back around Christmas, etc. we have the defense & rebounding elements pretty much covered. Donte Greene, with his budding offensive skills and huge upside at that size, is a whole different ballgame. You can't even compare the two in my book. Apples and oranges...I'll let it go but bottom line -- we should've been in on this fellas, esp. considering the reduced price tag. I mean look at a guy like Jermaine O'Neal for a sec. Couldn't even get off the bench in Portland as a young guy then goes on to be a star in Indy. Can't judge Greene on the here and now (although I like what I've seen so far in limited duty), only on what he could be. And he could be a star imo or, at the very least, a guy similar to Tim Thomas, who wasn't a star but a guy who had a nice long and fairly productive NBA career..No guarantees that'll happen with Greene but I'm just sayin'. Lou Amundson has never been nor will ever be a star. That's the difference..

Moving on, any opinions on Rashad McCants? I mentioned him a couple of posts back. Cut by his French team after failing a team physical...I guess there's not a dire need for a 2G now after we signed Brewer but provided he's not hurt that bad, he might be worth bringing in, even if we had to rehab him for a little bit...Wouldn't be a bad insurance policy to have man, honestly. What happens if Brewer has little impact and doesn't pan out? What happens if JR never matures? What happens if Shump never gets back to 100%? What happens if Copeland isn't an NBA player?? McCants on a vet min. deal (or even a non-guaranteed deal like the one Greene just got from the Nets maybe) wouldn't be a terrible thing..Always had nice talent, he's had some prior success in the NBA and he's right in his prime. Only in his late 20s...Just a thought.

Last edited:

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
LA Clippers F Kenyon Martin still looking at "other" destinations who can offer more money long term (Source: Luke Adams)

finestrg

Rotation player
Just reading James Anderson to accept a training camp invite with the Atlanta Hawks. Wow...WTF? This guy's a good 2-way player with a bright future. 1st round pick only a couple of yrs ago (pick #20)...He couldn't get anything better than that?? I know a few of us here on the board liked him and were talking him up, including me...Real nice talent...We couldn't have invited this guy to camp? Imagine -- in theory we could've had Donte Greene and James Anderson for the final 2 spots (two guys that fit needs for us -- a scoring big forward that can fill in off the bench behind our two star forwards and a talented big 2 that brings it on both ends) instead of Chris Copeland and Chris Smith (and those two are no lock either). All we probably had to do was guarantee both guys 1-yr vet min. deals which we have the cap room to do btw (every team does, no matter if you're over that cap)..Money and security talks - that's the bottom line and neither guy really got it when you consider what they accepted..A 1-yr guaranteed vet. min deal is better than what Greene and Anderson settled for...So puzzling. The FA market has gotten so weird. There are still good players out there (DJ White?), guys that could probably be had for mere vet. minimum deals, yet teams are deciding to play it dirt cheap..Bringing in a guy like James Anderson -- that wouldn't have been worth it to us??? I don't get it...I like the look of Copeland but the jury's still out on this guy, let's be frank here (is he even a SG?)...Donte Greene and James Anderson are two good young players with excellent potential. Copeland better be the goods, all I'm sayin'. Otherwise we look pretty dumb assembling the tail end of this roster. All I've been reading about is this good player has been invited to this camp, to that camp, etc. Teams are being proactive, even on the cheap surprisingly...Any idea who we're bring in for training camp?? I can't wait to see the motley crew they have lined up. Smh..

Last edited:

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
Just reading James Anderson to accept a training camp invite with the Atlanta Hawks. Wow...WTF? This guy's a good 2-way player with a bright future. 1st round pick only a couple of yrs ago (pick #20)...He couldn't get anything better than that?? I know a few of us here on the board liked him and were talking him up, including me...Real nice talent...We couldn't have invited this guy to camp? Imagine -- in theory we could've had Donte Greene and James Anderson for the final 2 spots (two guys that fit needs for us -- a scoring big forward that can fill in off the bench behind our two star forwards and a talented big 2 that brings it on both ends) instead of Chris Copeland and Chris Smith (and those two are no lock either). All we probably had to do was guarantee both guys 1-yr vet min. deals which we have the cap room to do btw (every team does, no matter if you're over that cap)..Money and security talks - that's the bottom line and neither guy really got it when you consider what they accepted..A 1-yr guaranteed vet. min deal is better than what Greene and Anderson settled for...So puzzling. The FA market has gotten so weird. There are still good players out there (DJ White?), guys that could probably be had for mere vet. minimum deals, yet teams are deciding to play it dirt cheap..Bringing in a guy like James Anderson -- that wouldn't have been worth it to us??? I don't get it...I like the look of Copeland but the jury's still out on this guy, let's be frank here (is he even a SG?)...Donte Greene and James Anderson are two good young players with excellent potential. Copeland better be the goods, all I'm sayin'. Otherwise we look pretty dumb assembling the tail end of this roster. All I've been reading about is this good player has been invited to this camp, to that camp, etc. Teams are being proactive, even on the cheap surprisingly...Any idea who we're bring in for training camp?? I can't wait to see the motley crew they have lined up. Smh..

The Knicks can still offer guaranteed deals to cats that have accepted unguaranteed deals. Just like NFL assistants, they can't take the same job elsewhere, but they can take a promotion. In this case, we can call Anderson's agent and offer him a guaranteed 1 year deal. But a lot of times playing time is an attraction for guys who are 1-2 years in the league without much PT under his belt. ATL is attractive because they just moved Johnson and Marvin Williams from their wing spots.

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer

According to a Marc Berman source, Chris Smith has a good shot at making the roster because of his defense.

Chris Smith is alright but I would Def. Look into Tony Taylor Jr. or Maybe Scott Machado

both NY NATIVES....

KMART NEED TO HURRY UP AND SIGN OR BARBOSA Still a FA WHATS UP!

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
Man i reckon we should just forget about KMART, if he comes it's only because he has no other choice. You don't want that kind of player here, plus he would demand/expect large amounts of playing time due to the lower than market salary and cause problems.

finestrg

Rotation player
The Knicks can still offer guaranteed deals to cats that have accepted unguaranteed deals. Just like NFL assistants, they can't take the same job elsewhere, but they can take a promotion. In this case, we can call Anderson's agent and offer him a guaranteed 1 year deal. But a lot of times playing time is an attraction for guys who are 1-2 years in the league without much PT under his belt. ATL is attractive because they just moved Johnson and Marvin Williams from their wing spots.

I suppose that's true but why wait and let another team have the first crack if we like the same guy? That's my thing...It's like Marty McFly's dad deferring to Biff in Back to the Future before he finally found his courage...LOL...F that bro...If you like the girl, go after her!!! Seriously though, if we liked a guy like James Anderson (or Donte Greene which we supposedly did at one point I thought -- wasn't Greene supposedly deciding between the Knicks and 2 other teams?), why not invite him to Summer League (if eligible--I believe after a player's 2nd yr, he no longer has to play summer league ball if he so chooses), and then to training camp, etc.? Or why not guarantee him a vet. minimum deal right away and be done with all the lowball nonsense?? If we came out and offered James Anderson or Donte Greene a guaranteed vet. minimum deal (in addition to guaranteeing each a certain degree of playing time i.e. guaranteeing Anderson the starting 2G spot before we even got Brewer because we like JR Smith off the bench), they'd be in a Knick uniform right now...Case closed... You'll probably say we didn't offer that to Anderson because the Knicks felt Brewer was the better player all along and that's fine..I just disagree with that. Why sit back and let another team woo a guy? It's kind of the same way we lost Lin -- we let another team jump all over Jeremy Lin and run the entire negotiation. Looks like we never even made Lin an official offer. I think that's nuts and completely passive. Nah, if I liked a guy, I'd swoop right in and offer the guy a deal. I wouldn't wait around for other teams to make their offers/pitches and then if those didn't work out, come in in the final hour and make some half-assed lowball offer of my own. That's not how you do it man. Didn't work with Lin and the same passiveness won't work with any of these lower-level players we may be looking at to finish off the roster with either. If that's the Knicks plan of attack (and it very well may be) then I have a serious problem with that.

Last edited: