Official Free Agency Thread

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Still searching for an NBA franchise willing to guarantee a contract for next season, seven-time All-Star Tracy McGrady worked out for the San Antonio Spurs this week at the team's practice facility, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Tracy McGrady averaged 5.2 points and three assists with the Hawks last season. (Getty Images)Next up for McGrady on Thursday is a workout for the New York Knicks, league sources said.

Time is running out for the 33-year-old McGrady to secure a guaranteed contract for the season. Sources say he will likely have to choose between accepting a "make-good" training-camp invite or going overseas – perhaps to China.

The Spurs have brought several players to San Antonio to evaluate over recent weeks, and have yet to make a decision on whether McGrady could possibly fit into the team's plans this season. The Knicks have discussed the possibility of adding another perimeter scoring threat, and want to evaluate McGrady for a possible return. McGrady played 24 games in 2010 with the Knicks.

After 15 years in the league, McGrady had career-low numbers in Atlanta a season ago, averaging 5.2 points in 16 minutes per game. A former two-time scoring champion and first-team All-NBA player, McGrady has been slowed with knee problems in recent years.

Last edited:

finestrg

Rotation player
Interesting

I thought this guy was done when we had him but his poor play in NY a couple of yrs ago may have just been a product of too much hype & too much being expected at that time on a poor team. If you look at this ATL clip of him last yr however...WOW...I see a guy that can help us, esp. given the fact that we may be down a SG or 2 to start the yr. The supreme athleticism he once had is no longer there but man, he looks like he can still score the ball in a variety of ways (not much has changed -- mid-range, off the dribble, in the post, running the floor, etc.) and still play a little defense too (the clip showed him blocking shots of Jerryd Bayless and Austin Daye I believe -- one smaller, much quicker guy than he and one guy a good 2-3 inches bigger, on drives no less -- among some other nice defensive plays).

Unlike the first time around, he wouldn't have to be anything close to 'the man' here -- he'd probably be relegated to 4th, 5th, maybe even the 6th or lower option on offense...All he'd have to do is fill in with some quality mins -- knock down some open looks, put it on the floor a little when it's there & play some defense. Check, check and check...Looks like he can still do all of that... Looks like he may have played in every game for the Hawks last yr too (albeit in an abbreviated season) -- pre-season into the playoffs. If he can hold up physically (playing the whole season last yr and into the playoffs is a pretty good indicator), both he and JR Smith could be a nice combination at the 2 until the reinforcements are ready. Sometimes certain vets look like they're done for one reason or another, only to come back strong further down the road and prove they still had a little (or a lot) left. Antonio McDyess comes to mind. J Kidd in Dallas does too..Hey, why not man. Looks like a nice match -- a good situation for us and for Tracy. I like it.

Last edited:

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
The Knicks could be interested in signing Kenyon Martin, Louis Amundson, D.J. White or Chris Andersen, according to Jared Zwerling of ESPNNY.com.
Tyson Chandler has stayed healthy the past two seasons by only missing 12 games, but in the 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 seasons the reigning Defensive Player of the Year missed a combined 74 games. New York also has the oft-injured Marcus Camby behind Chandler and Amare Stoudemire's health is a concern these days, so adding extra depth makes some sense.
Related: Kenyon Martin, Louis Amundson, D.J. White
Source: Jared Zwerling on Twitter
Sep 13 - 6:42 PM

http://rotoworld.com/player/nba/847/chris-andersen

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
I'd rather sign Malcolm Thomas than Tracy McGrady
i like M.T myself but Woody wouldn't give him a lick of time unless it's garbage mins + Novak, Melo, Amare, and KT will all get some time @ PF if we were to sign a PF i rather go with someone like Kenyon Martin or Amundson who's going to be guaranteed mins.

Last edited:

CoolClyde

The Knicks could be interested in signing Kenyon Martin, Louis Amundson, D.J. White or Chris Andersen, according to Jared Zwerling of ESPNNY.com.
Source: Jared Zwerling on Twitter
Sep 13 - 6:42 PM

wtf, is this guy living in the past? old f*cking news!
tell us something we don't already know, Zwerlie-bird!

finestrg

Rotation player
I'd rather sign Malcolm Thomas than Tracy McGrady

Why not take both? Cut or buyout KT who's set to make about $1.3M this coming season (just not sure he's got anything left to give -- we'll run into a problem if we have to lean on this guy for extended mins), replace him with MT who looks a tad small but long & very active (15 & 10 with 1.8 blks in the DL last yr) and then take McGrady with that last spot for 2G depth. Shore up the two positions that need shoring up...Just a thought. Also, I saw someone else say this somewhere and I agree -- James White's no guarantee to make this ballclub, even with the little bit of money we're guaranteeing him thusfar. He's gotta really show us something this training camp and throughout the pre-season. Showed very little in summer league. Cutting Flight loose to free up a roster spot is another option. Copeland and T-Mac might prove to be better alternatives at the 2/3 spots anyway..

I'd also continue to work the vet min. angle with DJ White's agent. Don't give up on that Glen!

Last edited:

CA7

Scoring Champ
Why not take both? Cut or buyout KT who's set to make about $1.3M this coming season (just not sure he's got anything left to give -- we'll run into a problem if we have to lean on this guy for extended mins), replace him with MT who looks a tad small but long & very active (15 & 10 with 1.8 blks in the DL last yr) and then take McGrady with that last spot for 2G depth. Shore up the two positions that need shoring up...Just a thought. Also, I saw someone else say this somewhere and I agree -- James White's no guarantee to make this ballclub, even with the little bit of money we're guaranteeing him thusfar. He's gotta really show us something this training camp and throughout the pre-season. Showed very little in summer league. Cutting Flight loose to free up a roster spot is another option. Copeland and T-Mac might prove to be better alternatives at the 2/3 spots anyway..

I'd also continue to work the vet min. angle with DJ White's agent. Don't give up on that Glen!

minutes and roles thats why, the last thing we need is guys who want minutes but have none for them

Chandler/Camby/Stoudemire will all play Center
Stoudemire/Anthony/Novak will all play the 4
Anthony/Brewer/Smith/Novak/Shumpert will all play the 3
Shumpert/Brewer/Smith/Kidd will all play the 2
Felton/Kidd/Prigioni/Shumpert/Smith will all play the 1 at times

I would add Malcolm Thomas as our new Jeffries or our version of Taj Gibson and keep it moving

finestrg

Rotation player
minutes and roles thats why, the last thing we need is guys who want minutes but have none for them

I would add Malcolm Thomas as our new Jeffries or our version of Taj Gibson and keep it moving

You've got Brewer and Shump penciled in there as if they're guarantees and they're not. Will they both make it back? Absolutely but how soon and how long it takes them to get back to 100% again nobody really knows for sure...Am I the only one who feels like Brewer making it back by the 1st game of the season is pushing it?? Even if he's able to accomplish that, how long until he's 100% or close to it? Same goes for Shump, who's eyeing a comeback sometime in Dec...The possibility of a setback for either guy needs to be part of the thought process here.. Brewer going down made me rethink things a little. Suddenly I think we may need a little more 2G insurance just in case. And who knows --- based on what I saw in that McGrady clip from last yr -- T-Mac may wind up being a better alternative to pair up with JR at the 2 than Brewer.

I like the Taj Gibson comparison for Malcolm Thomas btw. Good call. Taj might be a little taller but they're similar players..Could turn out to be similar pros.

Last edited:

CA7

Scoring Champ
You've got Brewer and Shump penciled in there as if they're guarantees and they're not. Will they both make it back? Absolutely but how soon and how long it takes them to get back to 100% again nobody really knows for sure...Am I the only one who feels like Brewer making it back by the 1st game of the season is pushing it?? Even if he's able to accomplish that, how long until he's 100% or close to it? Same goes for Shump, who's eyeing a comeback sometime in Dec...The possibility of a setback for either guy needs to be part of the thought process here.. Brewer going down made me rethink things a little. Suddenly I think we may need a little more 2G insurance just in case. And who knows --- based on what I saw in that McGrady clip from last yr -- T-Mac may wind up being a better alternative to pair up with JR at the 2 than Brewer.

I like the Taj Gibson comparison for Malcolm Thomas btw. Good call. Taj might be a little taller but they're similar players..Could turn out to be similar pros.

Shumpert and Brewer would get PT priority over T-Mac though which means we'll have a guy wanting minutes but where would he get them as good as he still is our Guard rotation is set, Brewer will be our Opening Night 2, Shumpert will likely be our Playoff Starting 2 even though Shumpert is out right now, Smith is still guaranteed 20-30 minutes a night as well as Kidd playing some 2.

Malcolm Thomas and Taj Gibson seem like clones to be honest I think thats why Chicago, who loved him, didnt sign him. Both about 6'9 225, energy bigs, Gibson has a better J but MT when he finds a home could develop his game I think thats the biggest thing for guys, getting that guarantee and getting comfortable and getting better every day. Look at Novak finding a home and enhancing his game, Thomas could be our new Jeffries but WAY BETTER

Olajuwon plans to work out Knicks Front

If all goes as planned, the New York Knicks will have a frontcourt full of ?Dream Shakers.?

Hakeem Olajuwon, one of the greatest players in NBA history and the architect of the legendary ?Dream Shake? post move, will spend several days next week training some of their players at the team?s practice facility in Greenburgh, N.Y.

Olajuwon, who will fly from his home in Texas, said he expects to work out with Amare Stoudemire, Carmelo Anthony, Tyson Chandler and Marcus Camby.

via Chris Broussard of ESPN

McGrady or KMart sign already...

Lets get this #RING #Championship

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer

Vets can see our roster and have an idea of what minutes are available, who's on the shelf, due back when, etc. Their agents know these things and well they are informed. They don't make choices as old as McGrady is, based on money any more, because there just won't be that pay day again, it's more about their role, the Knicks don't have to sugar coat it to him, he's been around, he sees the roster.

finestrg

Rotation player
Vets can see our roster and have an idea of what minutes are available, who's on the shelf, due back when, etc. Their agents know these things and well they are informed. They don't make choices as old as McGrady is, based on money any more, because there just won't be that pay day again, it's more about their role, the Knicks don't have to sugar coat it to him, he's been around, he sees the roster.

Yeah, I agree with Kidd K...Tracy knows exactly what time it is with this current Knick roster, right down to the word on the street that Brewer should be back by opening night (which I maintain is a stretch and may not be in that kid's best interest). And still, he's elected to work out for the team anyway...I think Tracy and his agent might be thinking what I'm thinking: the Knicks have a couple of key injuries at SG right now and there's an opportunity to go in there and split PT with JR Smith at a position of need (possibly start at said position) on what could potentially be a championship-level ballclub. I also feel that if Tracy came in here and played well (which I think he still can -- I looked at all of the available ATL footage of T-Mac from last yr over the past 2 days -- the man can still play ball and make a difference---and believe me, this is coming from a guy that prefers young players over these older cats) he wouldn't automatically lose his job once Brewer's ready. You can make a legit case that even a 32-33 yr old T-Mac is an upgrade over Ronnie Brewer, esp. a Brewer that may not be 100%. A younger T-Mac may have cried about PT in this type of scenario years ago but I don't think that's the case anymore. This guy's made a TON of money in this league the last 15 years (what, $160-170M total, somewhere around there?). It should all be about winning now and I betcha it is.

I say go get him. If he makes waves, cut him loose. I don't think he would though (was Baron Davis a good little soldier last yr? Yes he was -- even earned himself a job within the organization in some capacity based on that professionalism). I think McGrady would help out a lot, esp. in the beginning. Getting off to a good start is imperative. T-Mac might also feel he's got some unfinished business here in NY. I really like the fit. Believe me, if Tracy didn't see opportunity here he wouldn't be working out for us. And if the Knicks didn't feel he's got something left to offer, they wouldn't have brought him in for a look. I could see him coming in, starting with the 1st unit (where JR comes off the bench in a role he's comfortable with---JR's been endorsing this move in the papers the past couple of days btw), playing well and never looking back. And if something unforseen happens (Tracy gets hurt or doesn't play as well as expected, JR gets hurt, etc.) then we'll have options with Brewer once he's back & then with Shump further down the line. This is said to be a "make-good" contract offer for T-Mac (in addition to knowing the roster, Tracy also knows that we can only offer the vet min. which doesn't appear to be a problem unlike with this dude K-Mart)...I feel there's a good chance that he'll do exactly that. Make good. He did for the Hawks last yr...No brainer for me. Get it done. He'd be a nice addition here.

Last edited:

CA7

Scoring Champ
i like M.T myself but Woody wouldn't give him a lick of time unless it's garbage mins + Novak, Melo, Amare, and KT will all get some time @ PF if we were to sign a PF i rather go with someone like Kenyon Martin or Amundson who's going to be guaranteed mins.

I know Woody hates young players except Shumpert but Thomas will add more to this team than McGrady will

New New York

Quiet Storm
So we gotta be the front runners for KMart at this point. He has said he wants to go some where he is going to be able to play

Clippers are no longer an option w/ Odom there now

Mia. is not making a strong push anymore plus they have Bosh and Haslem plus Lebron will play some 4

Nets have Humphries Blatche & Evans (whom he did not get along w in LA)

Lakers have Hill and Gasol

Dallas would make sense but Cuban screamed on his mom so that isn't happening

Now he says he won't take vet minimum yet there is not much more out there for him unless he goes to a rebuilding situation. And even then who knows how much those teams are willing to invest in him.

Boston is a possibility too....but I see his relationship w Knick players (Melo,JR,Kidd,Camby and Felton) being the X factor in that race...plus they too have a few PF's in KG,Bass and Wilcox

I respect K Mart for not jumping on a vet minimum deal but w/ 2 weeks to go before camp he really does not have much choice.

My push to him if I'm Glen Grunwald would be to tell him to look at Novak who took a vet minimum deal and flipped it into something nice.

Give it another week then come to NY KMart!!!

Kidd
JR
Novak
Kmart
Camby

opening night bench!!!!

CA7

Scoring Champ
Give him a vet minimum deal with a 1 million dollar opening night roster bonus so he can shut the **** up

these players are bitches sometimes

come to New York or go to Charlotte

New New York

Quiet Storm
Give him a vet minimum deal with a 1 million dollar opening night roster bonus so he can shut the **** up

these players are bitches sometimes

come to New York or go to Charlotte

Exactly!!!! read a report that he may hold out til mid season for more money

Which means he and his agent are not being wise

1.his chances of getting signed diminisihes once the season starts.

2. lets say he holds out til after January and gets what he wants 3 million with it being pro-rated he basically signed for the vet min

JaYnYcE

Benchwarmer
At this point if he doesn't want to be here I really don't want him. Go overseas and get paid you money grubbing piece of crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk