Sign and trade for Nash-details

Paul1355

All Star
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/165595

How the Suns could do a Nash sign-and-trade

Phoenix Suns update:

The only Steve Nash destination that would require the Suns getting something in return is New York.

If they landed Nash via a sign-and-trade with Phoenix, the Knicks would not bepart with point guard Iman Shumpert, who the Suns liked in last year's draft. New York is willing to part with a package that features Landry Fields, Toney Douglas, $3 million and the non-guaranteed salaries of Dan Gadzuric and Jerome Jordan. Fields is a restricted free agent who could be signed to a deal while Douglas' contract could be seen as an expiring contract whose salary is more than covered by the cash component. The Suns could waive Gadzuric and Jordan at no cost.

This would all be predicated on Nash choosing New York over Toronto, Brooklyn and Dallas. The structure of the deal would get Nash close to the $10 million range that he would expect to get from the Knicks to rival Toronto's offer of about $12 million per year for three seasons.

Fields, 24, is a 6-foot-7 swingman who was coveted by Phoenix's former front office for a second-round pick two years ago but was snatched by New York seven picks earlier. Fields, who played at Stanford with Robin Lopez, has averaged 9.3 points over his first two seasons but his 3-point shooting dipped sharply from 39.3 percent as a rookie to 25.6 percent this season.

New York, Nash's offseason home, had a lengthy meeting with Nash today and will look to act swiftly because it needs point guard insurance alongside Jeremy Lin if Nash doesn't come. Nash will have to weigh whether he wants to share time at the point amid the Linsanity and whether playing with Carmelo Anthony and Amar'e Stoudemire is a positive for their talents or a negative for Anthony's style and Stoudemire's slide. Knicks coach Mike Woodson knows Mike D'Antoni's system that fits Lin and Nash well but how much of it will remain?

Tweetin' at www.twitter.com/paulcoro

..........This depends on if Fields would want to do this but I believe Nash would take this over any other offer in a heart beat. Big market, the Knicks are one piece away from a title and Nash is that piece and Nash knows that. Nash would get 10 mil a year.

Lin can be the starting 2 with Jr coming off the bench or have JR start and Lin as the main 6th man...I dont know how Woody will work it. However, it looks like what the Knicks offered Nash in the meeting was pretty intriguing and the Suns would get something instead of nothing.

This same package was also confirmed by Alan Hahn on ESPN Radio

Thoughts??

Last edited:

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
That little package trade offer is better than losing Nash for absolutely nothing, i don't see any harm in accepting the trade their getting non-guaranteed contracts, Toney Douglas contract will be expiring and they get a decent quality player in Fields, what do they have to lose? they are rebuilding already it's not like we would be shoving crappy contracts up their a$$ ( Leave Shump out of the trade and you got yourself a deal )

Don't underestimate the Canadian he can just as well take the money the Raptors are offering and finish his career up in Toronto. Hopefully he wants to chase the Ring and come to the knicks though.

As far as playing Lin at the 2, i'm not thrilled with that idea bigger 2 guards would bully Lin at the 2 spot and our defense would be swiss cheese. If we were to get Nash we would need a defensive minded 2 guard who is capable of knocking down the outside shot. Like Ca7 stated Deshawn Stevenson would fit this description. He plays D and can hit the open shot + he does not need the ball in his hand. I'm sure there are other options but i'd definitely take a look at Deshawn as a filler until Shump comes back.

If we played Lin and Nash together, who's our PG off the bench since Shump is most likely out until January (February the latest).

CA7

Scoring Champ
That little package trade offer is better than losing Nash for absolutely nothing, i don't see any harm in accepting the trade their getting non-guaranteed contracts, Toney Douglas contract will be expiring and they get a decent quality player in Fields, what do they have to lose? they are rebuilding already it's not like we would be shoving crappy contracts up their a$$ ( Leave Shump out of the trade and you got yourself a deal )

Don't underestimate the Canadian he can just as well take the money the Raptors are offering and finish his career up in Toronto. Hopefully he wants to chase the Ring and come to the knicks though.

As far as playing Lin at the 2, i'm not thrilled with that idea bigger 2 guards would bully Lin at the 2 spot and our defense would be swiss cheese. If we were to get Nash we would need a defensive minded 2 guard who is capable of knocking down the outside shot. Like Ca7 stated Deshawn Stevenson would fit this description. He plays D and can hit the open shot + he does not need the ball in his hand. I'm sure there are other options but i'd definitely take a look at Deshawn as a filler until Shump comes back.

If we played Lin and Nash together, who's our PG off the bench since Shump is most likely out until January (February the latest).

If this deal does through then we have to add a physical, KO shooter, defending 2 guard like Stevenson. Nash/Stevenson/Anthony on the perimeter, Lin/Shumpert/Smith off the bench.

Still hate the fit

New New York

Quiet Storm
The players we are sending are irrelevant to Phoenix, I mean maybe they want Feilds, but the others are either traded or cut by opening night.

So that is about 10 million dollars that we are offering which means Nash will make about 12 million next season if this goes through, that is about what any team would offer him

I read a report that The Suns would do a lopsided sign and trade as a favor for services if Nash does not want to come back.....so this is somewhat possible

Now my opinion....Too much, I'd rather us spend half the money on Ray Allen, we need a starting SG and a backup Center

Paul1355

All Star
The players we are sending are irrelevant to Phoenix, I mean maybe they want Feilds, but the others are either traded or cut by opening night.

So that is about 10 million dollars that we are offering which means Nash will make about 12 million next season if this goes through, that is about what any team would offer him

I read a report that The Suns would do a lopsided sign and trade as a favor for services if Nash does not want to come back.....so this is somewhat possible

Now my opinion....Too much, I'd rather us spend half the money on Ray Allen, we need a starting SG and a backup Center

Fields would be a perfect fit in an uptempo offense. The other players are just to cut and get cap space.

Basically the Suns would get back a legit role player who can be a nice starter if he develops his jump shot instead of losing Nash for nothing. And Nash himself said on video that he feels like the Suns don't want him back as much as they use to and this is the first time he can envision himself somewhere else so odds are a good deal will bring him somewhere else.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Clearly this is some media puppeteering to entice better offers out of teams with more lucrative offers and packages that could help Phoenix long term/deal with the wake of the departure one of their best players in franchise history.

Wouldn't be the first time that the Knicks market and media have been used as bait for better terms.

The counter offers will be public by tomorrow, and they'll far exceed the Knicks' "too good to be true" package.

One piece away from a title? The Knicks????

Nobody is touching Miami in the next 3-4 years.

Oklahoma are a pretty dang good team and the Heat just brushed them aside.

Now that the pressure is gone Miami will just dominate like the 90's Bulls.

You don't even need to dream about a championship for the next couple of years.

Knicks fans gotta be the most deluded fans in the world, well probably alongside Cowboys, Eagles and Jets fans......

Unless Lebitch blows his knee out or Wade has an accident - all the remaining 29 teams can play for is second for the next couple of years.

And even if and when Miami will start to slowly fade away (in 2016, 2017 or whenever) Teams that got Durant, Griffin, Anthony Davis etc. will battle for the title and I doubt that the Knicks will be one of those.

Just rewatch this year's first round series, the Heat wiped the floor with us despite being under bucketloads of pressure. What do you think they'll do to us now, where the pressure is gone?

Get real, please for your own sake.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
No offense but the Grandpa Celtics took them to Game 7 and even had a lead in their series, its possible to beat them.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Tommy Dee seems to think this will really happen
4szgae.jpg

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Last thing about Nash, and I know everyone hates this guy but its just to add to everything, Incaratedbob said:

**BREAKING NBA NEWS**Source: PG Steve Nash has told friends he will sign with Toronto Raptors if they offer best deal. Ball in Raptors court

InGodsHands

Benchwarmer

Knicks fans gotta be the most deluded fans in the world, well probably alongside Cowboys, Eagles and Jets fans......

Unless Lebitch blows his knee out or Wade has an accident - all the remaining 29 teams can play for is second for the next couple of years.

And even if and when Miami will start to slowly fade away (in 2016, 2017 or whenever) Teams that got Durant, Griffin, Anthony Davis etc. will battle for the title and I doubt that the Knicks will be one of those.

Just rewatch this year's first round series, the Heat wiped the floor with us despite being under bucketloads of pressure. What do you think they'll do to us now, where the pressure is gone?

green rep for you buddy:thumbsup:

New New York

Quiet Storm

Look I hate over optimism as much as the next man, but if The Knicks got an affective playmaker who can shoot (not saying that Nash is for sure that player) then we could beat any team in a 7 game series.

You speak of the playoff series...What was our biggest problem was creating on our shot, our defense played good enough to win, especially game 3 and 4 but we could not create anything beyond Melo.

Now insert Nash....The 2 man game alone with Amare gives us 12 more points per game, just between Amare and Nash, not to mention what opens up as they try to defend the pick and roll!

It is virtually impossible for them to have stuck to Novak the way that they did if you have penetration, this is why Novak took off when Lin starting playing well!

By nature a coach is gonna play off a 3pt shooter before surrendering easy layups (even against a shooter like Novak) because a coach will live with teams hitting kick out 3's 50% of the time vs. layups 80% of the time.

Now Spolestra is a good coach and probably wouldve adjusted, and still couldve won with us having a player like Nash, but no way in hell it is a one sided series like we saw.

Now in my opinion The Knicks are more than just one player away, Nash alone would not make us a Champion, we need a steady shooter at the SG position and some solid backup players.

But if we did get Nash it would dramatically shift things

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.
B. Franklin

The possibility of Nash dying in the foreseable future is slim to none. However, he has to pay taxes as we all do. That's why I compared Raptors' $12M offer with the $10M we can give the two times MVP making a S&T deal with PHX. Canada is widely known as a welfare state, but it's nothing new that money doesn't grow on trees, which simply means high income tax rates are clearly unavoidable. By signing with Toronto Nash will be forced to pay the annual tribute to the Queen worth $5.55M, which will leave him with "just" $6.45M "netto" as we're used say in Europe. On the other hand reaching an agreement with us Nash will have around $5.83M left in his pocket after paying federal, state and local taxes, which again, makes the difference between the Raptors' and our offer dicrease from $2M to just $600K, that, operating in a big market like New York, Nash could easily catch up by doing some endorsement stuff.

iSaYughh

Starter
This really all depends upon how much slobber and sweat Dolan is dripping on to the franchise right now.

We've been bent over so hard, so consistently, for so long......we're really no better (and arguably worse) than the notorious KAHN administration -- we just lack the erratic nature of his ownership. We simply assume the bent over position, like predictable clockwork, and start off every negotiation like that.

With Dolan's Paw Prints: Shumpert, Fields, + future 1st (if we can even give away 1sts anymore, after having given away so many consecutively).

W/O Dolan's Paw Prints + Good Negotiating: the deal mentioned seems pretty standard and feasible.

iSaYughh

Starter

:agreed: -- minus the happy face.

Especially with the way Woodson will likely coach and style our team. I agree 100% -- we need miracle/tons of help that's out of our control.

I wouldn't discount the potential impact Nash can make for us, though. If every single thing breaks are way:

*we get Nash for a bag of balls, and he performs like he did last year

*Lin becomes a clutch, all-star level player

*Shumpert returns as a top defensive stopper with some more polished offensive game

*Novak repeats the amazing season he had last year

*Amare plays like the Amare we got when we signed him

*Melo plays like prime Melo + added maturity

*TyChan stays healthy like he did last year (nobody likes to mention anymore how injury prone has been for a lot of his career)

If all of this happens, and Woodson coaches to his absolute best......I'd think we'd have a punchers chance, assuming MIA also does not continue to make improvements (eg signing a healthy Ray Allen).

If we don't get Nash, it's equal parts hubris and naivety about just how good Lebron is (which has been the case for yrs); and over-estimating our players relative to other top teams, without banking on major things breakning our way (re: Melo and Amare playing together, Amare playing like Amare, and Melo....not playing like Melo).