Brooklyn gets Joe Johnson...possibly Howard?

Will Nets keep Joe Johnson or trade for Dwight?

• Keep Joe Johnson

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • Trade him for Dwight

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters

Paul1355

All Star
David Aldridge: Breaking: Nets "very close" to acquiring Joe Johnson from Hawks for Farmar, Petro, Morrow, Williams, Stevenson and protected pick (Houston). Twitter

Brooklyn is acquiring Joe Johnson....will they trade Johnson for Dwight Howard so the Magic get Lopez and Johnson?

Whether they keep Johnson or not, if D Will stayed they would be a playoff team.

Forrest17

Rotation player
Yeah I would. Im not sure why everyone is saying that this is the nets giving up on Howard...

If anything this is the Nets doing their best to do something to get howard. Nothing they can give now will give the Magic anything they want. But if I got offered Joe Johnson if I was the magic I would trade for him. Its better than nothing I guess.

Seba

Benchwarmer
Anybody would, but its not going to happen.
The nets are settling for this, they moved on from DH.
No way Orlando would accept such deal. Also, i heard that Orlando wouldn't talk to the nets about a deal, that's why Brooklyn took this road.

iSaYughh

Starter
Done and done, apparently. Conditional on Deron Williams re-signing.

And they didn't give up **** expect for Anthony Morrow (another pure SG when they are stacked there already, especially since they keep Green and Brooks in this deal).

Looking like the Nyets' wild gambit(s) are going to actually pay off in spades, and like a masterfully played poker hand.

Deron
JoeJ
Wallace
Humphries
Lopez

6th Brooks/Green

+ a 5M and minnie mid exceptions to spend.

Sighs.

:barf:

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
WOW, they moved Joe Johnsons terrible contract and all it took was some expiring contracts to dump his salary. Nice move by ATL.

As for the Nyets

Deron
Joe Johnson
Wallace
Hump
Lopez

6th-8th seed playoff team at best.

iSaYughh

Starter
^ if the Nets are 6th to 8th at best, then barring some great moves by us, we will be lucky to make the playoffs.

The Nets are locked, with very few question marks, and a pretty decent amount of upside. 6th or 7th seed at worst, a dangerous 3rd or 4th seed if some things break their way.

Unless Nash comes, I would bet a lot that the Nets finish with a better record than us next year.

New New York

Quiet Storm
^ if the Nets are 6th to 8th at best, then barring some great moves by us, we will be lucky to make the playoffs.

The Nets are locked, with very few question marks, and a pretty decent amount of upside. 6th or 7th seed at worst, a dangerous 3rd or 4th seed if some things break their way.

Unless Nash comes, I would bet a lot that the Nets finish with a better record than us next year.

Deron Williams
Joe Johnson
Wallace
Humpries
Lopez

This team is no better than Atlanta the past 6 seasons!

They have a better backcourt...we have a better frontcourt and will be a deeper team.

This is dumb move by The Nets to keep Deron Williams....honestly if I was Deron Williams because of this move I would choose Dallas.

iSaYughh

Starter
Too much overhyping our boys, and indiscriminately negging other players/squads. Reminds me of the insane lack of understanding on that many had for so long about how superor Lebron is.

ATL:

Jeff Teague
JoeJ
Marvin Williams
JSmith
Horford -- edit -- who was injured last year, but I'll assume was healthy

Deron Williams alone is better than every single player on that roster. And this is a PG driven league, and they just got one of the very best:

Heat -- Lebron

OKC -- Westbrook

Bulls -- Rose

Celtics -- Rondo

What did we lack all season that ****ed us up so bad? PG

What did we gain during a stretch where our ship was righted and we had real promise: PG

JoeJ a wash between the teams, tho now that he as a stud PG, he should be even more effective and not have to worry so much about distributing.

Wallace is 10x the player Marvin Williams is. And he fits great on the team.

Note: the Nets team *fits*. As Knick fans, I understand we haven't actually experienced this phenomina in about a decade, but it exists.

Smith is better than Humphries -- Smith is also wild, and plays like he is the offensive centerpiece of ATL....which is one reason ATL never goes that far. Humphries rebounds and scores through mop up work at a high level, and a very efficient level. Exactly what they need from their PF.

Horford is definitely better than Lopez. Both have some health concerns. Assuming they both are healthy: Horford's biggest strengths comparatively are rebounding and distribution of the rock -- two things the Nets are set at with Deron/JJ, Wallace/Humphrie tandems.

The Nets, in pure total talent, are superior to the ATL teams you mention.

But just as vital, they fit much better, and fit very well together (on paper, anyhow).

The combination of this, would suggest a team much superior to ATL -- i.e., a notch below the upper crust of the NBA, with some potential for more given Brooks' talent as 6th man, and Lopez' upside.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
definitely makes the nets formidable. maybe a little ways to go before i would seriously worry over them as a serious contende, but this was definitely a start. One thing is evident though, we need to step our game up and mesh our **** together already. teams are getting better around us we clearly have the talent so lets get to work.

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
Can everyone please stop wetting their pants. Dwight will not be involved in a trade with the nets for JJ. Lakers can offer a better package and the Magic have the SG/SF positions signed for years.

Deron and JJ aren't that great a fit, especially when they dont have an elite offensive threat in the front court. Both are great play makers/passers but Wallace isn't going to turn into Melo.

They will probably make playoffs, and it's a shame to see so many posters above throwing away our chances. Come on guys, FIRST proper offseason had between our current core and improved chemistry building on last year's run under Woody will have us achieving as we should be.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Dwight will be traded to the Mavs, then Deron will sign with the Mavs thus leading to a new big 3.. Dwight, Dirk, Deron i can smell it O_O

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Dwight will be traded to the Mavs, then Deron will sign with the Mavs thus leading to a new big 3.. Dwight, Dirk, Deron i can smell it O_O

What do the Mavs have to offer though?

Huge trade for the Hawks. Got rid of a contract almost as shlt as Stoudemire's.

If the Nets pull off something for Howard and keep Williams, which seems pretty unlikely after this, they're instantly vying for supremacy in the East.

★ Looks like Indiana have lost Hibbert, BTW. that's awesome for us, especially if there's a beast brewing in Brooklyn.

If anything, it's sounding like the JJ to the Nets trade has opened the door for Atlanta to trade for Dwight Howard, not the Nets. Atlanta can still offer a guy like Al Horford as the center-piece of a package to Orlando, which is a lot more enticing than taking on the soul-crushing contract of JJ.

For what it's worth, this trade for JJ, who has fallen off quite a bit statistically over the last two years, is exactly the kind of a move that can destroy a franchise if it goes south. I would be terrified if the Knicks had made a move like this (unless it meant shedding STAT's contract in the process).

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Crazy⑧s;239054 said:
What do the Mavs have to offer though?

Huge trade for the Hawks. Got rid of a contract almost as shlt as Stoudemire's.

If the Nets pull off something for Howard and keep Williams, which seems pretty unlikely after this, they're instantly vying for supremacy in the East.

★ Looks like Indiana have lost Hibbert, BTW. that's awesome for us, especially if there's a beast brewing in Brooklyn.
good point :? lol, i'd love to see his new wishlist.

the Nyets can still make a package for Howard they still have assets and i think some picks. I doubt they get him though

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
good point :? lol, i'd love to see his new wishlist.

the Nyets can still make a package for Howard they still have assets and i think some picks. I doubt they get him though

Wasn't he quoted saying that he'd ~ a) only sign with one team, and b) wants to go to the Nets?

Could be a massive 5 team deal in the works right now, moving all sorts of picks, expirings and unwanteds.

Gotta love those. And rimjobs.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Crazy⑧s;239064 said:
Wasn't he quoted saying that he'd ~ a) only sign with one team, and b) wants to go to the Nets?

Could be a massive 5 team deal in the works right now, moving all sorts of picks, expirings and unwanteds.

Gotta love those. And rimjobs.
yeah he did say he wanted to only go to the nyets and wasn't signing an extension elsewhere, but i read the issue was the magic wanted nothing to do with trading howard to the Nyets so instead the Nyets turn to the Hawks and grab joe johnson.

The only way i see a Howard getting traded to the Nets is if

1. He pulls a Carmelo

or

2. the Nyets get a 3rd team involved

the Magic dont really HAVE to send him to the Nyets but instead they can just as well send him to a team dumb enough to take Howard even if it's just a rental.

Howard deserves to be stuck where he doesn't want to be if you ask me, he clearly had the Option to Opt OUT but the fool opts IN and remains with the Magic knowing thats not where he really wants to be smh he can blame nobody but himself

Just because Joe Johnson is overpaid doesnt mean he is not one of the top 5 SG in the league today, now he will be in a system that is run by a true PG and we all know JJ had to always take his man off the dribble in ATL for him to score but now he can move without the ball and use pick and rolls more so i expect him to drop 22ppg this year on 47% shooting, and we are all forgetting that Deron WIlliams Is THE BEST PG on earth with a post player down low and basically Landry Fields 5.0 in gerald wallace and the clean up guy in humphries. I would not want to play this team in the playoffs.

Tokie420

Benchwarmer
What people are failing to realize here is this. If Deron Is indeed going to sign back with the nets, the mavericks are going to turn their attention to Nash. I believe if Dallas comes with a serious offer for Nash he signs with them in a heartbeat. Thus maybe giving Toronto incentive to offer a poison pill type contract to Lin. Now If we dont get Nash, no doubt we will match Lins offer, but be wary. If Lin does not come back like he was last season, and truly was a flash in the pan so to say(not my belief, just hypothetically speaking) we could be in for some trouble down the line. Just something to think abpout and some hypotheticals.