Raptors offer deal to Landry Fields

Tokie420

Benchwarmer
I can see the Raptors offering the same type of poison pill contract to Lin

having the contract baloon up to 12 to 15 mil in year 3 and 4

I think thats their plan. Im telling you Nash to Dallas is a done deal once Dwill commits to Brooklyn. Then toronto will give lin a ridiculous back-loaded contract forcing us to choose. Only thing that can stop this would be for dallas to pull off a trade fow DH, thus causing DWill to sign with Dal. Leaving Nash open to Knicks, Suns, and Raptors. The suns offer today basically told Nash theyre ready to move on. We now dont have the assets to pull of a sign and trade, unless we get rid of shumpert, which were all in agreeance would be ludacris. Thus forcing Nashs hand and basically making toronto the destination.

Bottomline: **** Toronto and may they continue to be the cellar dwellers they are AYE.

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
$20 mil for 3 years, seriously???

I think we should let him go, concentrate on lin, novak and jr and sign other people. We are here scrambling because we don't have enough cash to offer Nash and we gonna pay fields $6-7 mil a season? I think NOT

However I would take a poison pill anyday for novak and lin to stay in this squad. I can live without fields, specially after the ****ty season last year, even I could have knocked more open 3's than that fool...

nyk_nyk

All Star
This was clearly an plan to keep NY from being able to trade for Nash. What GM really believes Fields is worth 6-7 mil??? Cmon!

finestrg

Rotation player
LMAO. Rediculous offer. No way Fields is worth 3 yrs/$20M. Not at this stage of his career and not off last year's regression..No way...Good for him though. Nice kid, still has upside. I like him a lot and wish him well. I would've welcomed him back but I always knew in the back of my mind that if someone came his way with a rediculous offer, which looks to be reality now, we could easily replace him.

Just my humble opinion but we could go out and sign 6'7" Jamelle Horne, 6'7" Scotty Hopson or 6'6" Sylven Landesberg for league minimum deals -- take your pick--all 3 have more game than Fields. We could also go out and probably get Chris Douglas-Roberts, another 6'7" SG/SF with more game than Fields, for a fraction of that contract offer. I also find DeQuan Jones, a 6'6" ultra-athletic wing that just went undrafted out of Miami very intriguing (this guy underachieved in college but I see oddles of potential here. He could be a late bloomer. Tremendous altheticism)...And I didn't even mention all the veteran talent that's out there that would come for less than the offer sheet this kid just signed. All is not lost here, believe me.

LMAO at Toronto trying to block us getting Nash btw, as it was rumored that Fields was a component in a S&T we were discussing with PHX. Whatever man..Good luck with Fields at $20M. Even if they got Nash too, that Toronto team still ain't going anywhere..LOL.

Just to be clear here -- even if Toronto turned around now and offered Lin the moon, he still can't make over a certain amount (somewhere around $5M I thought, right?)?? Did any of this change when he was granted his Bird Rights? Anyone know? Does he still have a max on what he's allowed to make?

Last edited:

nyk_nyk

All Star
Just to be clear here -- even if Toronto turned around now and offered Lin the moon, he still can't make over a certain amount (somewhere around $5M I thought, right?)?? Did any of this change when he was granted his Bird Rights? Anyone know? Does he still have a max on what he's allowed to make?

He can only make $5 mil in the first two years with annual raises BUT in year 3 he would qualify for a huge increase worth 10+ million. That's what's called the "poison pill" contract. Most teams won't match those terms, especially if they're near the luxury tax line.

Tokie420

Benchwarmer

Lin can make 5m the first two seasons...BUT a team can offfer a posion pill deal and offer him up to 15m in the final 2 years of the deal. With Asik and now Fields gettting the restricted-deals they got, and with teams like Dallas, Toronto, and Houston in the mix, Im starting to not doubt that some teams going to try and make us think real real hard before matching. The financial implications down the road could be catastrophic.

skisloper

Starter
its become s real game of chicken.....teams want to wait to see what their restricted FA are worth but at the same time allow teams like toronto to step in and blow money in a strategic fashion......Dolan will not lose LIN no matter what the price as he knows is a bonanza marketing tool....The question is where to the knicks sit with any signings or additions.....
Lin
Shump
Melo
Stat
TC

douglas
novak ( ? )
Jordan
harrison.....

nyk_nyk

All Star
All I've ever wanted was to re-sign Lin, JR, Fields and Novak, then add Felton and Camby. Nash is great but it's just not realistic with the small amount of money we have to work with.

Now we lose a trade chip in the potential PHX deal, which throws everything off. If HOU offers Lin the same backloaded deal then we're really screwed from a financial standpoint going forward.

wtflol.gif

@ Raptors giving Fields that much money. Yeah it's been real but Landry gots to bounce with that type of money.. Wonder how Lin reacts to this

tiger0330

Legend
I can see the Raptors offering the same type of poison pill contract to Lin

having the contract baloon up to 12 to 15 mil in year 3 and 4
If they don't sign Nash I think you're right about them going after Lin. Might lose JR as well when he hears Landry got the deal he got. JR's got to be thinking if Fields can get a 20M deal, I can too.

finestrg

Rotation player
See, this is why I thought it was important to select a guy in this draft that had a chance to make the team, preferably a guard (DJO, Hollis Thompson, Scott Machado), instead of stashing away another Greek SF. Fields just got a lucrative offer sheet that we will 99.9% chance not match...What happens with Lin now? If Landry got a 'poison pill' offer, odds are Lin will too...We'll probably match any offer for Lin (I would) but all of a sudden, down Fields with no immediate replacement, we look incredibly thin in the backcourt. PAPER THIN: Shump's hurt, Bibby/Baron won't be back (I don't want either guy back--we can do better), JR hasn't been resigned yet, Fields is gone, we haven't done anything with Lin yet, TD's coming off a terrible year and isn't that good, etc..I mean WTF is going on here.

Kiya said it best -- WTF are we doing? Why are we waiting to see what other teams offer our guys first before making a move? We're being very passive. Maybe, if we wind up matching some crazy offer sheet for Lin, the Knicks wanna sell it to the fans that they were pushed into it, that it wasn't their idea, that they had no choice, etc..Who knows? Why wait for that though? Why not put your best foot forward and make an initial offer. Show these guys some love...Our inactivity is baffling.

I honestly don't know what their plan is besides sitting on their hands right now. You guys know me, I'd be ok adding all bargin bin talent right now to fill in most of the blanks and calling it a day:

C - Marcus Cousin
PF - Jeff Adrien, Mitchell Watt
SF - Jamelle Horne, Ryan Wittman
SG - Scotty Hopson, Sylven Landesberg
PF - Ben Hansbrough, Curtis Jerrells, Matt Janning

To me, EVERYTHING WE NEED is right there..We bring in some of these young, hungry guys to fill out the squad, bring back Lin, maybe JR & Novak depending on what the price tag is (wouldn't stop me from making the first offer though), then I'd be ready to go to war...At least invite some of these guys to summer league. Start there..Lemme here that we've got some primo talent lined up for summer ball and I'll be a little happier. Gimme something here for Christ's sake...Hey, I know they're not brave enough to go all in on this bargin bin route...What then? What the hell is their plan?? I mean they make such a big deal about winning this Bird rights case (even threatening to sue the league if they continued with their appeal as it would've put us at a disadvantage in free agency), then the league drops the appeal, free agency begins AND WE DO NOTHING so far? Not even with our own guys...Come on now..Someone explain this to me 'cause I don't get it.

EDIT: Just saw that Buffalo PF Mitchell Watt signed a deal to go play for Memphis' SL team. Smart move. That kid can play. I betcha he makes that club..God forbid we went after him first.

Last edited:

orangeblobman

Rotation player
See, this is why I thought it was important to select a guy in this draft that had a chance to make the team, preferably a guard (DJO, Hollis Thompson, Scott Machado), instead of stashing away another Greek SF. Fields just got a lucrative offer sheet that we will 99.9% chance not match...What happens with Lin now? If Landry got a 'poison pill' offer, odds are Lin will too...We'll probably match any offer for Lin (I would) but all of a sudden, down Fields with no immediate replacement, we look incredibly thin in the backcourt. PAPER THIN: Shump's hurt, Bibby/Baron won't be back (I don't want either guy back--we can do better), JR hasn't been resigned yet, Fields is gone, we haven't done anything with Lin yet, TD's coming off a terrible year and isn't that good, etc..I mean WTF is going on here.

Kiya said it best -- WTF are we doing? Why are we waiting to see what other teams offer our guys first before making a move? We're being very passive. Maybe, if we wind up matching some crazy offer sheet for Lin, the Knicks wanna sell it to the fans that they were pushed into it, that it wasn't their idea, that they had no choice, etc..Who knows? Why wait for that though? Why not put your best foot forward and make an initial offer. Show these guys some love...Our inactivity is baffling.

I honestly don't know what their plan is besides sitting on theri hands right now. You guys know me, I'd be ok adding all bargin bin talent right now and calling it a day:

C - Marcus Cousin
PF - Jeff Adrien, Mitchell Watt
SF - Jamelle Horne, Ryan Wittman
SG - Scotty Hopson, Sylven Landesberg
PF - Ben Hansbrough, Curtis Jerrells, Matt Janning

To me, EVERYTHING WE NEED is right there...At least invite some of these guys to summer league...Lemme here that we've got some primo talent lined up for summer ball and I'll be a little happier. Gimme something here for Christ's sake...Hey, I know they're not brave enough to go all in with this bargin bin route but what then? What the hell is their plan?? I mean they make such a big deal about winning this Bird rights case (even threatening to sue the league if they continued with their appeal as it would've put us at a disadvantage in free agency), then the league drops the appeal, free agency begins AND WE DO NOTHING so far? Not even with our own guys...Come on now..Someone explain this to me 'cause I don't get it.

EDIT: Just saw that Buffalo PF Mitchell Watt signed a deal to go play for Memphis' SL team. Smart move. That kid can play. I betcha he makes that club..

Totally passive, man. And I don't get it.

What is going through their brains?

We're FAR from a contender and we just got a player stolen from us by those butchers in Toronto.

Nash is not coming, to my mind that's a guarantee.

I can't think of any other moves they will make.

Unless they're planning to move Amar'e soon, and we don't know about this now. That's the only scenario that can explain this wacknuts approach.

New New York

Quiet Storm
I wonder if and how hard Toronto will push for Lin now...

Was wondering the same thing, I mean if they backloaded a contract for him too, that would mean there would be a year when Fields and Lin would be making a combined 30 million

I think someone has already said this but this was strategic to make us surrender a trade chip that we would offer Phoenix

But that does not make sense because we only had a small chance at Nash

Alright, the whole world is now on notice, the entire Knicks organization, including its fanbase, are now officially at war with the Toronto Raptors.

When they follow this Fields' offer (which is entirely to block us from a S&T for Nash), with a poison pill offer for Lin, it will be time for us to suck it up and actually do something active in this offseason. First thing to do? Re-sign Lin at whatever price, luxury tax be damned! Second thing to do? Mail Bryan Colangelo the decapitated head of Steve Nash. We mean business!

Imagine after all this, somehow D'Antoni ends up in Toronto coaching Lin and Fields who they stole from us with poison pills!

portega1968

El Cacique
3years/20million and this:

elaine-alden-southbeachcandy-1-2-525x855.jpg

Life is looking pretty sweet for Landry!!!!

Anyways, this was definitely geared at busting up our deal for Nash which was gonna happen.. so, IMO, let the Raptors take him, thanks for the hustle Landry and bad luck up in TDOT... let's get JR and Lin signed, let's get Raymond Felton for the mini MLE and maybe Rashard Lewis.

Why cry over spilled milk? Message to Toronto management: payback is a bitch, you have been blacklisted!!!

OK somebody catch me up.

If we matched couldnt we still do a sign and trade with Phoenix for Nash?

Maybe give them 3 mill cash to help them pay for the larger contract?

Or does the new rules restrict you from doing things like this?

OK somebody catch me up.

If we matched couldnt we still do a sign and trade with Phoenix for Nash?

Maybe give them 3 mill cash to help them pay for the larger contract?

Or does the new rules restrict you from doing things like this?

As per Ken Berger of CBSSports.com:

"A player can't be traded after his offer sheet is matched. So if Knicks match Fields, he stays."

WOW. The Raps are really screwing us. It would be great to have Lin learning the nuances of the game from Nash. Maybe Kidd will consider coming here...