Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Raptors offer deal to Landry Fields

Veteran

Originally Posted by Paul1355
    I can see the Raptors offering the same type of poison pill contract to Lin

having the contract baloon up to 12 to 15 mil in year 3 and 4
    If they don't sign Nash I think you're right about them going after Lin. Might lose JR as well when he hears Landry got the deal he got. JR's got to be thinking if Fields can get a 20M deal, I can too.

Superstar

See, this is why I thought it was important to select a guy in this draft that had a chance to make the team, preferably a guard (DJO, Hollis Thompson, Scott Machado), instead of stashing away another Greek SF. Fields just got a lucrative offer sheet that we will 99.9% chance not match...What happens with Lin now? If Landry got a 'poison pill' offer, odds are Lin will too...We'll probably match any offer for Lin (I would) but all of a sudden, down Fields with no immediate replacement, we look incredibly thin in the backcourt. PAPER THIN: Shump's hurt, Bibby/Baron won't be back (I don't want either guy back--we can do better), JR hasn't been resigned yet, Fields is gone, we haven't done anything with Lin yet, TD's coming off a terrible year and isn't that good, etc..I mean WTF is going on here.

Kiya said it best -- WTF are we doing? Why are we waiting to see what other teams offer our guys first before making a move? We're being very passive. Maybe, if we wind up matching some crazy offer sheet for Lin, the Knicks wanna sell it to the fans that they were pushed into it, that it wasn't their idea, that they had no choice, etc..Who knows? Why wait for that though? Why not put your best foot forward and make an initial offer. Show these guys some love...Our inactivity is baffling.

I honestly don't know what their plan is besides sitting on their hands right now. You guys know me, I'd be ok adding all bargin bin talent right now to fill in most of the blanks and calling it a day:

C - Marcus Cousin
    PF - Jeff Adrien, Mitchell Watt
    SF - Jamelle Horne, Ryan Wittman
    SG - Scotty Hopson, Sylven Landesberg
    PF - Ben Hansbrough, Curtis Jerrells, Matt Janning

To me, EVERYTHING WE NEED is right there..We bring in some of these young, hungry guys to fill out the squad, bring back Lin, maybe JR & Novak depending on what the price tag is (wouldn't stop me from making the first offer though), then I'd be ready to go to war...At least invite some of these guys to summer league. Start there..Lemme here that we've got some primo talent lined up for summer ball and I'll be a little happier. Gimme something here for Christ's sake...Hey, I know they're not brave enough to go all in on this bargin bin route...What then? What the hell is their plan?? I mean they make such a big deal about winning this Bird rights case (even threatening to sue the league if they continued with their appeal as it would've put us at a disadvantage in free agency), then the league drops the appeal, free agency begins AND WE DO NOTHING so far? Not even with our own guys...Come on now..Someone explain this to me 'cause I don't get it.

EDIT: Just saw that Buffalo PF Mitchell Watt signed a deal to go play for Memphis' SL team. Smart move. That kid can play. I betcha he makes that club..God forbid we went after him first.
    Last edited by finestrg; Jul 03, 2012 at 15:57.

Originally Posted by finestrg
    See, this is why I thought it was important to select a guy in this draft that had a chance to make the team, preferably a guard (DJO, Hollis Thompson, Scott Machado), instead of stashing away another Greek SF. Fields just got a lucrative offer sheet that we will 99.9% chance not match...What happens with Lin now? If Landry got a 'poison pill' offer, odds are Lin will too...We'll probably match any offer for Lin (I would) but all of a sudden, down Fields with no immediate replacement, we look incredibly thin in the backcourt. PAPER THIN: Shump's hurt, Bibby/Baron won't be back (I don't want either guy back--we can do better), JR hasn't been resigned yet, Fields is gone, we haven't done anything with Lin yet, TD's coming off a terrible year and isn't that good, etc..I mean WTF is going on here.

Kiya said it best -- WTF are we doing? Why are we waiting to see what other teams offer our guys first before making a move? We're being very passive. Maybe, if we wind up matching some crazy offer sheet for Lin, the Knicks wanna sell it to the fans that they were pushed into it, that it wasn't their idea, that they had no choice, etc..Who knows? Why wait for that though? Why not put your best foot forward and make an initial offer. Show these guys some love...Our inactivity is baffling.

I honestly don't know what their plan is besides sitting on theri hands right now. You guys know me, I'd be ok adding all bargin bin talent right now and calling it a day:

C - Marcus Cousin
    PF - Jeff Adrien, Mitchell Watt
    SF - Jamelle Horne, Ryan Wittman
    SG - Scotty Hopson, Sylven Landesberg
    PF - Ben Hansbrough, Curtis Jerrells, Matt Janning

To me, EVERYTHING WE NEED is right there...At least invite some of these guys to summer league...Lemme here that we've got some primo talent lined up for summer ball and I'll be a little happier. Gimme something here for Christ's sake...Hey, I know they're not brave enough to go all in with this bargin bin route but what then? What the hell is their plan?? I mean they make such a big deal about winning this Bird rights case (even threatening to sue the league if they continued with their appeal as it would've put us at a disadvantage in free agency), then the league drops the appeal, free agency begins AND WE DO NOTHING so far? Not even with our own guys...Come on now..Someone explain this to me 'cause I don't get it.

EDIT: Just saw that Buffalo PF Mitchell Watt signed a deal to go play for Memphis' SL team. Smart move. That kid can play. I betcha he makes that club..
    Totally passive, man. And I don't get it.

What is going through their brains?

We're FAR from a contender and we just got a player stolen from us by those butchers in Toronto.

Nash is not coming, to my mind that's a guarantee.

I can't think of any other moves they will make.

Unless they're planning to move Amar'e soon, and we don't know about this now. That's the only scenario that can explain this wacknuts approach.

Originally Posted by FrazierVocab
    I wonder if and how hard Toronto will push for Lin now...
    Was wondering the same thing, I mean if they backloaded a contract for him too, that would mean there would be a year when Fields and Lin would be making a combined 30 million

I think someone has already said this but this was strategic to make us surrender a trade chip that we would offer Phoenix

But that does not make sense because we only had a small chance at Nash

Veteran

Alright, the whole world is now on notice, the entire Knicks organization, including its fanbase, are now officially at war with the Toronto Raptors.

When they follow this Fields' offer (which is entirely to block us from a S&T for Nash), with a poison pill offer for Lin, it will be time for us to suck it up and actually do something active in this offseason. First thing to do? Re-sign Lin at whatever price, luxury tax be damned! Second thing to do? Mail Bryan Colangelo the decapitated head of Steve Nash. We mean business!

Imagine after all this, somehow D'Antoni ends up in Toronto coaching Lin and Fields who they stole from us with poison pills!

River Rocks, Port Rich (Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico PUNETA!!!)

3years/20million and this:

Life is looking pretty sweet for Landry!!!!

Anyways, this was definitely geared at busting up our deal for Nash which was gonna happen.. so, IMO, let the Raptors take him, thanks for the hustle Landry and bad luck up in TDOT... let's get JR and Lin signed, let's get Raymond Felton for the mini MLE and maybe Rashard Lewis.

Why cry over spilled milk? Message to Toronto management: payback is a bitch, you have been blacklisted!!!

OK somebody catch me up.

If we matched couldnt we still do a sign and trade with Phoenix for Nash?

Maybe give them 3 mill cash to help them pay for the larger contract?

Or does the new rules restrict you from doing things like this?

Veteran

Originally Posted by Clyde & The Pearl
    OK somebody catch me up.

If we matched couldnt we still do a sign and trade with Phoenix for Nash?

Maybe give them 3 mill cash to help them pay for the larger contract?

Or does the new rules restrict you from doing things like this?
    As per Ken Berger of CBSSports.com:

"A player can't be traded after his offer sheet is matched. So if Knicks match Fields, he stays."

WOW. The Raps are really screwing us. It would be great to have Lin learning the nuances of the game from Nash. Maybe Kidd will consider coming here...

I just don't get it, how can these teams justify giving a player like landry. Imagine if the knicks dumbly matched that, how could tell turn to another player like JR or Novak and offer him less when they do so much more than landry.

Question: If the knicks make an offer to a player and somebody offers more than us, do we get a chance to revise the offer? or we just lose out? maybe that's why we sit and wait for teams to offer our guys contracts, so we can match and keep them. I don't know, but would really like to see management start making some offers and not just let all the good free agents find a home.

Originally Posted by dasilva1079

Question: If the knicks make an offer to a player and somebody offers more than us, do we get a chance to revise the offer? or we just lose out? maybe that's why we sit and wait for teams to offer our guys contracts, so we can match and keep them. I don't know, but would really like to see management start making some offers and not just let all the good free agents find a home.
    then every team would wait for us to make an offer and theyd add a tiny more to their offer they were holding back on to beat us

Default Relax People...

GM know going into off season what is the plan n obstacles...If Knick can turn Fields from 2nd Round Pick into trading Bargain chip for a vet..then fine..but you can over react or pay..cause what Brooklyn is doing..Field have up side but not at that price..Lin is even more a wild care cause there a need at PT...Let see what GM does..Not DOLAN..I HOPE>>> You can't match a crazy offer in a bidding war with RAPTORS that just silly lol We should be competing with HEAT n Boston...

Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    This was clearly an plan to keep NY from being able to trade for Nash. What GM really believes Fields is worth 6-7 mil??? Cmon!
    they gave fields that money so the knicks coudnt sign and trade him for nash?

Superstar

Default Landry Fields' Offer

Toronto's offer to Landry is too good. There must be a method to the madness. It does limit us as a contender for Nash, but as another poster noted, we were not Nash's likely destination.

We cannot match the offer without giving up on Lin who is likely to command an even better back loaded offer. This means the Knicks will have to pay Lin huge amounts in the third and fourth years of his contract.

Perhaps Toronto buys Landry to entice Lin. We still control Lin. Could Toronto be trying to induce us to sign and trade Lin to them? What would they have to offer in return?

I am having a hard time with this one. And I have not fully digested the Nets trade for Joe Johnson