Lin apparently signed $40M offer sheet from Houston. NY have 3 days to match

What should the penalty for racist behavior be on here?

• Ban

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Temporary ban

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Warning

• Scolding

• Whatever! I'm sure we can just ignore it.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Long post. Sorry.

I'd say there is an argument against thecontract looking at it from a basketball perspective only. He has 1/2 a year of real NBA experience, and while he put up good numbers, there is the turnover issue, injury problem, and a lot of question marks. Worst case scenario you could see a guy whose body can't take a full NBA season at the minutes the knicks were playing him.

However, if barrea is worth 4/19mil, calderon is worth 5/45 mil, conley 5/40mil, afflalo 5/40, etc...4/30 might not be too bad given his potential to be the glue for this team.

Then there is the whole Linsanity factor....He is a $$$$ machine for the Knicks, who will get back every dollar they pay in luxury tax on him as long as he can stay as the starting point guard (they will do everything in their power to keep him there). It's not just the Knicks... he would bring in cash for any team that he is on, since his fans are loyal to him. I would bet almost anything that if the Knicks wanted to move Lin after signing this contract, but before the luxury tax penalty kicks in, plenty of teams under the cap would take the 2/20 million option, and not look back. Bottom line is this contract situation isn't a huge risk/deal.

There's definitely not anything flawless about it, but given our need at the 1 alongside his experience with the team's coach and players - albeit brief - he, considering what we know, is a PG that can contribute and learn as a Knick.

So often we hear those that advocate building with youth. This, to me, is precisely that. And considering the awesome luck involved, we have a chance to do what seemed so utterly impossible after the LBJ sweepstakes clear out. Now, to add to that stroke of non-Knick-like luck, we have Jason Kidd to help him through it all.

In regard to injury, sure, maybe he doesn't have the mettle to endure a full season. If he doesn't, he'll hardly be one in a million, and the unpredictability of injuries (freak occurrence or otherwise) shouldn't dictate whether or not he's a suitable PG. If anyone disagrees with that, would they then be forced to say that Iman Shumpert is unsuitable for a similar contract when the time comes? I'm sure there are those who consider Shump's worth/game more valuable than Lin's.

If we had drafted a rookie last year that produced what Lin did in the absence of our MAX stars, we'd all be erupting at the schlong if he were not extended. He's only one year removed from Rubio as a pro, and has probably had an equivalent amount of PT.

Considering that money aint a thang here, I can't see the concerns outweighing the advantages from a basketball perspective YET.

We'll know very soon what Jeremy Lin's worth, and if things don't work out with him as a team member/individual because of injury, capability, continuity, whatever, we'll be able to trade him for what he is, not what he does or doesn't do.

Sure there are concerns, but there has to be at least an equivalent of things to be optimistic about.

Not pointing the finger at you here, Lord Hoyle, but I'd be very interested to see what Knick players have to say to Lin's detractors.

Especially those that say they'd prefer Felton, Billups and Ramon f'ing Sessions.

Crazy⑧s;240214 said:
The timing of the details was purely circumstantial. Feel free to be convinced otherwise. But in the end, the results could have only been different by a certain amount. Are you just grumpy about Nash not joining, or are you really that unimpressed by Jeremy Lin?

And damn near everyone my anus.

You seem to be awfully convinced about your detraction, BTW. It was more than a few games, and dropping 38 on the Lakers is no small feat. Yes, he was thrown in to the mix out of desperation, but that doesn't change the fact that he lead this team out of the doldrums of underachieving. We have all seen what he's capable of. On top of that we know that he's capable mentally of just as much, if not more, than he is physically. Adaptation, though it's not a given, presumably will not be an issue for Jeremy Lin.

There are a myriad of better point guards out there, but the list of alternatives you provided doesn't match your being unconvinced that Lin's not worth the contract - regardless of whether or not it's a monetary issue. Ramon Sessions :lol: for instance, was maligned for his underachieving in LA when it counted, but you'd still prefer him over Lin?

To quote orangeblobman, 'that's whack sauce'.

I do like Lin and I have seen some nice things from him but I also have seen the same exact thing from other players too?.like Billups, felton, and freaking Sessions. All had their great games against great teams and players. They have more experience, toughness, are more consistent, better defenders, and are not turn over prone like JLin. For the asking price?I want ballers that will go the distance and improve the team in doing so.

I?m not a follower of hype, because hype eventually dies down sooner or later. What he did to gain this hype was simply played a streak of great ball?.the NY media did their job, then the rest of the league caught on and Linsanity died down. Shortly after? we hear the dude needs knee surgery, wtf. I question his toughness not his heart. After almost every game he was either bloody or bruised. He played like his basketball life depended on it (it did) and it worked in his favor.

IMO, Linsanity is just about a dude getting waived from 2 NBA teams, then rotting away on D?ants bench, shipped to the D-League a couple of times, sleeping on team mates couch (THERE ?S A REASON WHY HE WENT THROUGH THAT).

JLin gets my respect because he seized the opportunity and the moment. What happened next was sweet but it didn?t last long because he was exposed and returned back to reality. Unless he demonstrates to me that he has what it takes to be one of the greats?I?m holding back some of my enthusiasm. This team is going to be run thru our big 3?we can go cheap and find a PG to serve them with no problem while investing in other areas of the roster.

Unless JLin has a few more magic tricks up his sleeve...he will struggle just like he did before he was injured. I want to see if he?s really worth it. I don?t care if he brings in more Asian fans?that?s not what I watch BBall for. One of the last things we need is more phony fans? It?s the fake fans ballooning his rept and putting this poor dude in a position he might not be able to handle.

I/We/Us didn?t see enough of Lins truth?s to accurately decide his worth. I don?t care what he brings in marketing? that cash isn?t going into my bank account.

I don?t recall ever having a fall out with you before and I do appreciate some of your threads? but this **** here (rants and disrespect) is unexpected and unlike you, you even stepped further into the lame light by quoting ?Orange Wacksauce?? Now I?m wondering if you?re Asian, if your account was hacked, or if you?re currently suffering from a head injury. unreal. hahaha

metrocard

Legend
I don't mind signing Lin because he's young and has room to improve. Dude converted himself from a SG into a PG. Now he's a pretty good passer, just has to cut down on the turnovers and work his on off hand dribble.

skisloper

Starter
Here we go again. "Those that don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it":(

How in the world is this a mistake.....
The 4th year is team option.....so lets assume Lin sucks hes cut and if not then he worth it....otherwise its 3 years of an average of 6 million a year,,,,,
We are stuck with Melo, Stat and Chandler for 3 years so why not have a PG that from what we have seen in a very short window be our floor leader....
With Kidd as a back-up or side by side its a solid move......
I am basing this on the circumstances that we have a 3 year window right now and if this plan feels we start over with zero salary and go from there....

Felton would have been 3-4 million so Im much happier having Lin and his possible potential....

The " mistake " is the combining of stat and melo but since mgmt is letting that be we must build around it.....

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
Dolan is known for his penchant to make mistakes. Giving STAT that ridiculous contract was a mistake. Gutting the team for Melo was a mistake. My head hurts when I think about all the mistakes Dolan has made that put the richest NBA team out of contention for the ring since I don't know when.

jimkcchief88

All Star
How in the world is this a mistake.....
The 4th year is team option.....so lets assume Lin sucks hes cut and if not then he worth it....otherwise its 3 years of an average of 6 million a year,,,,,
We are stuck with Melo, Stat and Chandler for 3 years so why not have a PG that from what we have seen in a very short window be our floor leader....
With Kidd as a back-up or side by side its a solid move......
I am basing this on the circumstances that we have a 3 year window right now and if this plan feels we start over with zero salary and go from there....

Felton would have been 3-4 million so Im much happier having Lin and his possible potential....

The " mistake " is the combining of stat and melo but since mgmt is letting that be we must build around it.....

Ok but STAT and MELO are already signed to long-term contracts...... The key point to your statement is "short window." why give a long-term contract to someone who has only been a short-term solution????

Seba

Benchwarmer
Ok but STAT and MELO are already signed to long-term contracts...... The key point to your statement is "short window." why give a long-term contract to someone who has only been a short-term solution????

3 years left for everyone. How can that be so hard to understand?

Reactions: pat

BillyHoyle

Benchwarmer

The Knicks have to match Houston's offer, no questions about that. Lin has significant value to the Knicks (or any other franchise) as the side-show/celebrity figure that he is. This is not a bad thing...it's good, since it allows the Knicks to overpay for him, go into the Luxury tax, but then see returns through other channels of revenue. His contract reflects his marketing value, so with this in mind, I agree that his value as a basketball player alone is less than the money he is seeing. Even so, In the third year of this contract, which is the "poison pill" year, If Lin turns out to be a huge bus, it still would not be difficult at all to move his expiring contract to a team under the salary cap that is looking to increase ticket sales/television audience.

Also, you bring up the cap restrictions, but this only increases the need to sign him, since the Knicks will not have another opportunity to sign a potentially franchise-changing player to more than the mini MLE. There should be more questions about Kidd's 3/3mil deal than this.

Seba

Benchwarmer
Exactly. We will have the same flexibility whether or not we sign Lin: None.

All this Lin hatin' is nonsense really.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Exactly. We will have the same flexibility whether or not we sign Lin: None.

All this Lin hatin' is nonsense really.

Nobody is hating, well at least not me. Its just the facts....Lin is a great story, sleeping on the couch, sounds like a Disney movie... but that's it. Now you are talking about dumping 30 million into a guy that played in 25 games and didn't suit up for the playoffs. That's what I can't get. The dude watched the playoffs from the bench like I did. I know his glasses are cool and all but damn 30 million for not even a full college schedule???? I don't think his Harvard team even made the tourney....And now you guys are bringing up his "marketing value"???? What does that have to do with the price of tea in China lol:) Sorry guys couldn't resist.....

jimkcchief88

All Star
The Knicks have to match Houston's offer, no questions about that. Lin has significant value to the Knicks (or any other franchise) as the side-show/celebrity figure that he is. This is not a bad thing...it's good, since it allows the Knicks to overpay for him, go into the Luxury tax, but then see returns through other channels of revenue. His contract reflects his marketing value, so with this in mind, I agree that his value as a basketball player alone is less than the money he is seeing. Even so, In the third year of this contract, which is the "poison pill" year, If Lin turns out to be a huge bus, it still would not be difficult at all to move his expiring contract to a team under the salary cap that is looking to increase ticket sales/television audience.

Also, you bring up the cap restrictions, but this only increases the need to sign him, since the Knicks will not have another opportunity to sign a potentially franchise-changing player to more than the mini MLE. There should be more questions about Kidd's 3/3mil deal than this.

J Kidd at 39 is a more known commodity and way cheaper.... pair Kidd with the next d-league gem and keep it moving....let Houston regain their asian market with Lin...The Rockets can't compete in a loaded West, which is why they are looking for a guy to sell seats....

p0nder

Starter
I don't mind signing Lin because he's young and has room to improve. Dude converted himself from a SG into a PG. Now he's a pretty good passer, just has to cut down on the turnovers and work his on off hand dribble.

Co-sign

Plus i don't think it's over paying for a guy that has shown flashes of top level talent. I mean, 9.? mill a year for a guy that can score 40 on the lakers? Drop double doubles, play adequate defense, dish out mad assists? He's probably more valuable to the knicks then STAT at this juncture and we pay him double that. If he cuts down on the turnovers we're looking at one of the best PG's in the league and this contract is a STEAL.

Also consider that the knicks would match any offer up to a BILLION DOLLARS and I think houston went too easy on us.

Happy for the knicks to come out and say "He's our Guy". Total vote of confidence in his direction from management can't hurt.

:gony:

Seba

Benchwarmer
Nobody is hating, well at least not me. Its just the facts....Lin is a great story, sleeping on the couch, sounds like a Disney movie... but that's it. Now you are talking about dumping 30 million into a guy that played in 25 games and didn't suit up for the playoffs. That's what I can't get. The dude watched the playoffs from the bench like I did. I know his glasses are cool and all but damn 30 million for not even a full college schedule???? I don't think his Harvard team even made the tourney....And now you guys are bringing up his "marketing value"???? What does that have to do with the price of tea in China lol:) Sorry guys couldn't resist.....

Just to make things clear, I disagree.

But much more important is that all you said doesn't matter, because signing Lin doesn't have ANY NEGATIVE IMPACT basketball wise.

The absolute worst case scenario is that Lin breaks his spine and fat **** Dolan looses like 45 Millions. Could care less.
We won't loose a single player because of this signing.

Oh and just so we are clear, we at least agree that Lin is better than any vet's min we can get, right?

Red

TYPE-A

This point of "Lin can't go left" was addressed in the media yesterday, and its a bunch of hogwash.

As they said, Go ask Kobe and the Lakers if Lin can go left. Its overblown imo. His defense and durability is the question.

They all have 3 years left and this coincides with the team option we have.

That way, if Lin & Shump pan out, we'll have cap space to build around them when our Big 3 expires.

If not then see ya.

Can Lin materialize into a bonafide star who commands respect? Does he have the stones to control the egos we have?

skisloper

Starter
Just to make things clear, I disagree.

But much more important is that all you said doesn't matter, because signing Lin doesn't have ANY NEGATIVE IMPACT basketball wise.

The absolute worst case scenario is that Lin breaks his spine and fat **** Dolan looses like 45 Millions. Could care less.
We won't loose a single player because of this signing.

Oh and just so we are clear, we at least agree that Lin is better than any vet's min we can get, right?

100% agree...whats the downside....not siging Raymond Felton and Dolan paying luxury tax ?
we have zero flexibility with or without lin so might as well have him.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
For all the Linamaniacs, Jason Kidd was just on with Joe and Evan and all they're talking about is him starting.
Jason seems like New York acted like he was coming here to be the starting PG...

Its starting to look like a different story with Lin...

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
2lo1w2g.jpg

For all the Linamaniacs, Jason Kidd was just on with Joe and Evan and all they're talking about is him starting.
Jason seems like New York acted like he was coming here to be the starting PG...

Its starting to look like a different story with Lin...

Kidd can't seriously expect that unless he was told Lin is gone . . . or maybe just alzheimers setting in.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I do like Lin and I have seen some nice things from him but I also have seen the same exact thing from other players too?.like Billups, felton, and freaking Sessions. All had their great games against great teams and players. They have more experience, toughness, are more consistent, better defenders, and are not turn over prone like JLin. For the asking price?I want ballers that will go the distance and improve the team in doing so.

I?m not a follower of hype, because hype eventually dies down sooner or later. What he did to gain this hype was simply played a streak of great ball?.the NY media did their job, then the rest of the league caught on and Linsanity died down. Shortly after? we hear the dude needs knee surgery, wtf. I question his toughness not his heart. After almost every game he was either bloody or bruised. He played like his basketball life depended on it (it did) and it worked in his favor.

IMO, Linsanity is just about a dude getting waived from 2 NBA teams, then rotting away on D?ants bench, shipped to the D-League a couple of times, sleeping on team mates couch (THERE ?S A REASON WHY HE WENT THROUGH THAT).

JLin gets my respect because he seized the opportunity and the moment. What happened next was sweet but it didn?t last long because he was exposed and returned back to reality. Unless he demonstrates to me that he has what it takes to be one of the greats?I?m holding back some of my enthusiasm. This team is going to be run thru our big 3?we can go cheap and find a PG to serve them with no problem while investing in other areas of the roster.

Unless JLin has a few more magic tricks up his sleeve...he will struggle just like he did before he was injured. I want to see if he?s really worth it. I don?t care if he brings in more Asian fans?that?s not what I watch BBall for. One of the last things we need is more phony fans? It?s the fake fans ballooning his rept and putting this poor dude in a position he might not be able to handle.

I/We/Us didn?t see enough of Lins truth?s to accurately decide his worth. I don?t care what he brings in marketing? that cash isn?t going into my bank account.

I don?t recall ever having a fall out with you before and I do appreciate some of your threads? but this **** here (rants and disrespect) is unexpected and unlike you, you even stepped further into the lame light by quoting ?Orange Wacksauce?? Now I?m wondering if you?re Asian, if your account was hacked, or if you?re currently suffering from a head injury. unreal. hahaha

This is quite the list of adversaries conquered for wins with Lin as the leader of the Knicks. Players far exceeding the likes of those you named as adequate replacements for Jeremy Lin - perhaps with the exception of the worn and torn Chauncey Billups.

deron_head.jpg

devin_head.jpg

johnwall_head.jpg

kobemantle.jpg

rubioj.jpg

ridnour.jpg

calderon.jpg

dirk1.jpg

I can hardly be f'd to continue on with your monotonous posts, so I'll do myself a favor and C&P the following that was a reply to the excellent newcomer, Billy Hoyle.

So often we hear those that advocate building with youth. The Lin signing, to me, is precisely that. And considering the awesome luck involved, we have a chance to do what seemed so utterly impossible after the LBJ sweepstakes clear out. Now, to add to that stroke of non-Knick-like luck, we have Jason Kidd to help him through it all.

In regard to injury, sure, maybe he doesn't have the mettle to endure a full season. If he doesn't, he'll hardly be one in a million, and the unpredictability of injuries (freak occurrence or otherwise) shouldn't dictate whether or not he's a suitable PG. If anyone disagrees with that, would they then be forced to say that Iman Shumpert is unsuitable for a similar contract when the time comes? I'm sure there are those who consider Shump's worth/game more valuable than Lin's.

If we had drafted a rookie last year that produced what Lin did in the absence of our MAX stars, we'd all be erupting at the schlong if he were not extended. He's only one year removed from Rubio as a pro, and has probably had an equivalent amount of PT.

Considering that money aint a thang here, I can't see the concerns outweighing the advantages from a basketball perspective YET. Reward>Risk.

We'll know very soon what Jeremy Lin's worth, and if things don't work out with him as a team member/individual because of injury, capability, continuity, whatever, we'll be able to trade him for what he is, not what he does or doesn't do.

Sure there are concerns, but there has to be at least far more excessive amount of positives to be optimistic about. No doubt you'll say there are not even an equivalent amount of things to be optimistic about. That's just asinine, IMO.

And believe me, when you're in bed with jimkcchief on anything, you need to check yourself.

YAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.