Steve Nash

if we part with shumpert its isiah 101. trade potential allstar with lights out perimeter defense for a 38 year old PG, perfect. and as great as nash still is ( he's pretty damn good ) he's 38! i cant overlook that. i want him here but not if it means parting with shumpert. i heard the knicks are looking for a 3rd team to help facilitate the trade and give phoenix a more enticing offer. if we get nash manage to keep shumpert and add camby, im telling you we have a finals ready squad.

Dolan is the reason we wont ever win a championship, the knicks just does not seem to want to build a contender the right way, we dont draft well, we dont manage our cap space just in case we need a stop gap player, we just spend because we can and the worst part is we spend for ticket sells and not to build a contender.

Ewing

Benchwarmer
Giving up Shumpert will be tough to swallow for me!
I'm not a big fan of this, we get Nash, who is a great PG but he's aging, but we give up Shump, probably the best defender in the league in the upcoming years and a solid option on offense. I really don't know if it will pay off, because we have Lin, who proved to be a very good PG with a lot of good things to come yet and we could go to free agency to get either Hinrich or Felton, to backup and help Lin's development.
Nash will play elite basketball 2 more years maximum, so I think it's too much to give up for him.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Dolan is the reason we wont ever win a championship, the knicks just does not seem to want to build a contender the right way, we dont draft well, we dont manage our cap space just in case we need a stop gap player, we just spend because we can and the worst part is we spend for ticket sells and not to build a contender.

i dont see what all glamor is over nash ( i do loll ) but kidd is just as effective, as effective as you'll find out a 38 yr. old pg. he caan still ball, lead a break and distribute and he's not asking 12 mill or asking for us to risk our future by trading our homegrown rising star. im pissed if shumperts included.

Paul1355

All Star
Guys as much as we all love Shumpert...Nash is teh PERFECT solution to never have a stagnant offense again.

We all know how good this team is on paper, but bal movement makes it come alive and Nash creates that.

Nash instantly puts us into championship contention, Shump is not that good yet.

Shump will be a dynamic SG, I assume a 20 ppg guard, but he is coming off a bad injury and he was hurt often so he might be injury prone.

He may never be the same player again.

With Nash you know you are getting one of the best PG in the past decade.

There is no better mentor for Lin and no better player to put with Lin.

Lin can become more of a scorer instead of someone that has to make everyone else better.

Lin doesn't have to play 40 min a game at the point worrying about Lebron, Wade and Chalmers suffocating him on defense which caused him to have 10 turnovers.

Nash makes everything work guys, please realize this.

Look what he did on a terrible Suns team last season, he almost brought a team with absolutely no one to the playoffs in a tough western conference!

This guy still has plenty in the tank and is worth trading Shumpert.

Don't be like those fans that wanted to keep Gallo instead of trading him for Melo.

We have to win NOW

How much time will Melo be in his prime?

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
all im saying is if were willing to take a risk on our future for a 38 yr old pg why no take a risk on a 22 year old rising sg? plenty of guys have been hurt early in careers and came back stronger. i would s&t em without a doubt if he was 27 or so but he has another good 16-17 years ahead of em why not develop him? for that fact alone im against trading for nash. we can get kidd for maybe even the vet minimum will nash be that much of an upgrade? i think not. if grunwald can pull off a Chandler type move and we get Nash and keep shumpert then this move will be genius.

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
It looks like Nash is going to be the next PG at MSG. While our offense will be wildly exciting, our defense is going to among the worst in the league. A lineup of Nash-Lin-Melo-Stat-Tyson would offer very little resistance at the defensive end. Tyson can't play all five positions.

I don't like the way this off-season is going.

fender0577

Rotation player
If it means getting rid of SHUMP, my vote is NO.Nash has 1 maybe 2 good(not prime), good years left.Why would i trade a potential star for NASH at his age, it makes no sense.But on the other hand, if we're gonna do this 3 year run, as someone said earlier, it makes a little more sense, as long as we don't make any dumb moves in between.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
I posted this up earlier today talking about why it might be better to get Jason Kidd.

["Iman Shumpert may have to replace Fields in a package that also may include Dan Gadzuric?s $1.4 million non-guaranteed contract, Toney Douglas? expiring pact, Jerome Jordan and Josh Harrellson. Nash could end up making up to $8 million. Without a sign-and-trade, the Knicks only have their $3.09 million mini-midlevel exception".

As much as I like Steve Nash, I'll say this again, I don't like the idea of losing a good defender the Knicks have in Iman. Expiring contracts are useful and Josh Harrellson can do some good. The Knicks should try for Kidd and Camby, having a good team and saving money for future seasons.]

I like Steve Nash but he's bad for the Knicks future seasons as I stated above. Iman is a player who has potential and must keep no matter what.

YuvalNYC

Rotation player
My huge respect for Grunwald will go down the drain if Shump wont be a knick next season. thats all i can say, we havent had a player with this much promise for so long.
shump can be a huge player for us for the long run, its not worth losing that for a season or two!!! **** YOU DOLAN

petescud

Starter
Phoenix isn't stupid. They know the Knicks will break and give up good quality pieces to get Nash...hate to see Shump go, but your not going to get Nash for Douglas and Jeffries/Jorts....dream on

I agree to not give up much to get a quality pice, but its almost impossible with our options this year

Paul1355

All Star
My huge respect for Grunwald will go down the drain if Shump wont be a knick next season. thats all i can say, we havent had a player with this much promise for so long.
shump can be a huge player for us for the long run, its not worth losing that for a season or two!!! **** YOU DOLAN

Does it not bring us one step closer to getting a ring?

Do you trust Lin to make all of these peices fit?

Do you really think Lin given all the keys to orchetrate the offense is as safe as having Nash take over?

I prefer Nash, he is the perfect fit, he will make Melo, Amare, and CHandler actually fit. We all know how good this team can be if they gel and Nash is the answer, Lin needs to learn how to ball handle and stop with the turnovers.

YuvalNYC

Rotation player
Does it not bring us one step closer to getting a ring?

Do you trust Lin to make all of these peices fit?

Do you really think Lin given all the keys to orchetrate the offense is as safe as having Nash take over?

I prefer Nash, he is the perfect fit, he will make Melo, Amare, and CHandler actually fit. We all know how good this team can be if they gel and Nash is the answer, Lin needs to learn how to ball handle and stop with the turnovers.

We need to be a factor in the LONG RUN, not 2 seasons.

I would rather see Lin + Kidd + Shump over Lin + Nash .

Wargames

Starter
man F*ck Nash if this trade goes through... Expect him to come here and all of a sudden his age catches up with him.

Also after this ya'll realize the knicks are going to give JR that full MLE. His agent will take his turn with the knicks bent over the barrel because they'll have no f*cking SG anywhere on the roster. Not even a guy who could start healing in the wings.

This sh*t here is deplorable and honestly normal business for the Knicks. How many GM's have been there and they all do dumb stuff like this because Dolan is a star chasing motherf*cker of an owner.

STAT1

Starter
Colangelo not only screwed the Knicks with that stupid contract offer to Landry Fields by forcing us to have to give up Shumpert, but he screwed himself in the process. Now he's gonna miss out on the guy he made that offer for to begin with & will be stuck with a horrible contract on his books in 2014/15 for a mediocre player.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baske...-nash-have-the-raptors-lost-him-to-the-knicks

Steve Nash: Have the Raptors lost Canadian superstar to the Knicks?

Published 43 minutes ago Share on twitter Share on facebook

5f68f2f84e47bedce14706da4c4d.jpg

Rocky Widner/GETTY IMAGES The Raptors have reportedly offered free agent Steve Nash a three-year, $36 million (U.S.) deal, but it looks like the New York Knicks are in the lead for his services.

By Doug Smith Sports Reporter

It looks as if Bryan Colangelo has lost the biggest gamble of his career with the Raptors and is now left to pick up the pieces.

Several reports in circulation suggest Colangelo will lose out on acquiring prized free agent Steve Nash and must regroup to breathe life into a Raptors franchise that?s been out of the NBA playoffs for the past four years.

According to the sourced reports, the Knicks and Phoenix Suns are closing in on a sign-and-trade deal that would land Nash in New York, despite an offer of three years and about $36 million from Toronto.

While there is still a chance the Phoenix-New York deal could fall apart ? it could hinge on the Knicks including young guard Iman Shumpert ? it looks as if it?s a longshot.

Toronto wasn?t giving up as of mid-afternoon ? ?we gave it our best shot,? Colangelo said ? people within the organization were already wondering what Plan B might be.
Nash, 38, would get a contract for three years and less than $30 million from the Knicks, who would put him alongside Carmelo Anthony and Amar?e Stoudemire in what is seen as far more formidable group than anything the Raptors could come up with.
On Tuesday, the Raptors made an offer of a three-year contact worth close to $20 million for restricted free agent swingman Landry Fields of the Knicks, to try to block New York?s pursuit of the Canadian point guard.

The question now for Colangelo is about his next move. A Nash acquisition would have surely spelled the end of Jose Calderon ? Calderon?s salary would have been needed to make the Nash deal work financially ? but now it may mean the return of Calderon.

The only other point guards of significance still on a rapidly-closing market are Jeremy Lin, who is meeting with Houston Rockets that may end with a lucrative deal, and Houston?s Goran Dragic, who is toying with the idea of a return to Phoenix and who is seeking somewhere near $10 million a season to start.

But Toronto?s issue goes beyond point guard and the dalliance with Nash was as much about what he?d bring in perception as anything.

Wargames

Starter
I mean the damn celtics go farther than the knicks and can rebuild and arguably if they want they could keep most of their team together as they improve.

The Knicks so far have signed James White and are looking to take back Shawne Williams... That's the plan the knicks had after their first round exit and no 1st round draft pick this year because they traded for TMAC to drop salary. Go all in for Nash?? So basically build a squad of bums based around a front court that doesn't fit and a PG pushing 40??? Not to mention sign Lin another defensively challenge PG to whatever is offered to him to play Backup to the 38 year old PG. Also if S&T was the plan why the F*ck have the knicks not signed a single person to a friggin contract offer. I mean was this really the plan after they fired the Coach who was the offensive Guru who helped Nash get MVP. :barf:

Man by this time next year all we the fans are going to hear is "well at least all the contracts end in 2015 so we can go after "Insert name" and old ass veteran "insert name" and one trick pony player "insert name" and give up all the knicks picks to acquire them as well".

STAT1

Starter
Giving up Shumpert will be tough to swallow for me!
I'm not a big fan of this, we get Nash, who is a great PG but he's aging, but we give up Shump, probably the best defender in the league in the upcoming years and a solid option on offense. I really don't know if it will pay off, because we have Lin, who proved to be a very good PG with a lot of good things to come yet and we could go to free agency to get either Hinrich or Felton, to backup and help Lin's development.
Nash will play elite basketball 2 more years maximum, so I think it's too much to give up for him.

I agree with you. To be honest, I would have rather we included Lin in the trade to get Nash if we absolutely had to over giving up Shump. You don't find lockdown perimeter defenders like him very often, especially one at his age w/his type of athleticism & finishing ability in the open court! I'm extremely torn over this maneuver. If the Knicks don't make it to the NBA Finals in the next 2-3 years, this trade would be an abject failure.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
man F*ck Nash if this trade goes through... Expect him to come here and all of a sudden his age catches up with him.

Also after this ya'll realize the knicks are going to give JR that full MLE. His agent will take his turn with the knicks bent over the barrel because they'll have no f*cking SG anywhere on the roster. Not even a guy who could start healing in the wings.

This sh*t here is deplorable and honestly normal business for the Knicks. How many GM's have been there and they all do dumb stuff like this because Dolan is a star chasing motherf*cker of an owner.

Such emotion, damn. Honestly I totally agree, I've came to this conclusion no to long ago. Nash accomplish anything more than getting Kidd, and Kidd is less money. Lin need to learn ball movement and both Nash and Kidd can be good mentors. Kidd is who the Knicks should get.

JR full MLE? Is there no one better? J.R. Smith is kind of needed but I hate when a player gets overpaid. Maybe Meeks is better. O.J. Mayo is more worth it for that kind of money.

Last edited:

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Disgusted

It seems inevitable that we give up Shumpert to get Nash, I do not like it. Nash is not that good -- he is 38 and plays no defense. He is a D'Antoni system player. He will help Amare' perhaps, but not Melo. This is typical Knicks for over a decade.

OK, we will have four stars and only Chandler plays defense. We have zero cap room for at least four years. Indeed we are likely to be in that hard cap zone. We have no draft pick in 2014. We will not beat Miami; we will not beat Oklahoma. By midseason there will be little point spread between the Knicks and the likes of New Orleans and Minnesota

Think about it, we have had good draft position picks for over a decade. If this deal goes down as anticipated, we will not have a single one of those draft picks.

I understand the win now mode, but Nash is not the surefire piece. Kidd is likely to be just as effective as Nash. And I am not sure how far Lin can go. If I had to choose between Lin and Shumpert, i would take Shumpert.