Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Steve Nash

Colangelo not only screwed the Knicks with that stupid contract offer to Landry Fields by forcing us to have to give up Shumpert, but he screwed himself in the process. Now he's gonna miss out on the guy he made that offer for to begin with & will be stuck with a horrible contract on his books in 2014/15 for a mediocre player.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Steve Nash: Have the Raptors lost Canadian superstar to the Knicks?

Published 43 minutes ago [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Rocky Widner/GETTY IMAGES The Raptors have reportedly offered free agent Steve Nash a three-year, $36 million (U.S.) deal, but it looks like the New York Knicks are in the lead for his services.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] By [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Sports Reporter

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ], the Knicks and Phoenix Suns are closing in on a sign-and-trade deal that would land Nash in New York, despite an offer of three years and about $36 million from Toronto.

While there is still a chance the Phoenix-New York deal could fall apart — it could hinge on the Knicks including young guard Iman Shumpert — it looks as if it’s a longshot.

Toronto wasn’t giving up as of mid-afternoon — [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Colangelo said — people within the organization were already wondering what Plan B might be.
    Nash, 38, would get a contract for three years and less than $30 million from the Knicks, who would put him alongside Carmelo Anthony and Amar’e Stoudemire in what is seen as far more formidable group than anything the Raptors could come up with.
    On Tuesday, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] of a three-year contact worth close to $20 million for restricted free agent swingman Landry Fields of the Knicks, to try to block New York’s pursuit of the Canadian point guard.

The question now for Colangelo is about his next move. A Nash acquisition would have surely spelled the end of Jose Calderon — Calderon’s salary would have been needed to make the Nash deal work financially — but now it may mean the return of Calderon.

The only other point guards of significance still on a rapidly-closing market are Jeremy Lin, who is meeting with Houston Rockets that may end with a lucrative deal, and Houston’s Goran Dragic, who is toying with the idea of a return to Phoenix and who is seeking somewhere near $10 million a season to start.

But Toronto’s issue goes beyond point guard and the dalliance with Nash was as much about what he’d bring in perception as anything.

I mean the damn celtics go farther than the knicks and can rebuild and arguably if they want they could keep most of their team together as they improve.

The Knicks so far have signed James White and are looking to take back Shawne Williams... That's the plan the knicks had after their first round exit and no 1st round draft pick this year because they traded for TMAC to drop salary. Go all in for Nash?? So basically build a squad of bums based around a front court that doesn't fit and a PG pushing 40??? Not to mention sign Lin another defensively challenge PG to whatever is offered to him to play Backup to the 38 year old PG. Also if S&T was the plan why the F*ck have the knicks not signed a single person to a friggin contract offer. I mean was this really the plan after they fired the Coach who was the offensive Guru who helped Nash get MVP.

Man by this time next year all we the fans are going to hear is "well at least all the contracts end in 2015 so we can go after "Insert name" and old ass veteran "insert name" and one trick pony player "insert name" and give up all the knicks picks to acquire them as well".

Originally Posted by Ewing
    Giving up Shumpert will be tough to swallow for me!
    I'm not a big fan of this, we get Nash, who is a great PG but he's aging, but we give up Shump, probably the best defender in the league in the upcoming years and a solid option on offense. I really don't know if it will pay off, because we have Lin, who proved to be a very good PG with a lot of good things to come yet and we could go to free agency to get either Hinrich or Felton, to backup and help Lin's development.
    Nash will play elite basketball 2 more years maximum, so I think it's too much to give up for him.
    I agree with you. To be honest, I would have rather we included Lin in the trade to get Nash if we absolutely had to over giving up Shump. You don't find lockdown perimeter defenders like him very often, especially one at his age w/his type of athleticism & finishing ability in the open court! I'm extremely torn over this maneuver. If the Knicks don't make it to the NBA Finals in the next 2-3 years, this trade would be an abject failure.

near the lincoln tunnel in Union City, NJ staying close to MSG

Originally Posted by Wargames
    man F*ck Nash if this trade goes through... Expect him to come here and all of a sudden his age catches up with him.

Also after this ya'll realize the knicks are going to give JR that full MLE. His agent will take his turn with the knicks bent over the barrel because they'll have no f*cking SG anywhere on the roster. Not even a guy who could start healing in the wings.

This sh*t here is deplorable and honestly normal business for the Knicks. How many GM's have been there and they all do dumb stuff like this because Dolan is a star chasing motherf*cker of an owner.
    Such emotion, damn. Honestly I totally agree, I've came to this conclusion no to long ago. Nash accomplish anything more than getting Kidd, and Kidd is less money. Lin need to learn ball movement and both Nash and Kidd can be good mentors. Kidd is who the Knicks should get.

JR full MLE? Is there no one better? J.R. Smith is kind of needed but I hate when a player gets overpaid. Maybe Meeks is better. O.J. Mayo is more worth it for that kind of money.
    Last edited by serendipity10; Jul 04, 2012 at 14:39.

Superstar

Default Disgusted

It seems inevitable that we give up Shumpert to get Nash, I do not like it. Nash is not that good -- he is 38 and plays no defense. He is a D'Antoni system player. He will help Amare' perhaps, but not Melo. This is typical Knicks for over a decade.

OK, we will have four stars and only Chandler plays defense. We have zero cap room for at least four years. Indeed we are likely to be in that hard cap zone. We have no draft pick in 2014. We will not beat Miami; we will not beat Oklahoma. By midseason there will be little point spread between the Knicks and the likes of New Orleans and Minnesota

Think about it, we have had good draft position picks for over a decade. If this deal goes down as anticipated, we will not have a single one of those draft picks.

I understand the win now mode, but Nash is not the surefire piece. Kidd is likely to be just as effective as Nash. And I am not sure how far Lin can go. If I had to choose between Lin and Shumpert, i would take Shumpert.

Originally Posted by serendipity10
    Such emotion, damn. Honestly I totally agree, I've came to this conclusion no to long ago. Nash accomplish anything more than getting Kidd, and Kidd is less money. Lin need to learn ball movement and both Nash and Kidd can be good mentors. Kidd is who the Knicks should get.
    I know I shouldn't care this much but dammit how many times does this team do the same stupid sh*t and then tell us Fans well in so many years it will work itself out.

Chris Rock ‏@chrisrock

Dear Knicks please don't trade shumpert does anybody Remeber Trevor ariza for Stevie Francis.

Right there says it all, no its not about the type of player Nash is compared to Steve Francis. Its just the realities of their ages and how the Knicks organization made a big deal of how Francis was going to play alongside Marbury who they had pegged as being this great player.

That's what the knicks are proposing when they want to go full force for Nash and swear up and down they are willing to pay whatever for Lin. Guys like Ariza would of been great to have on the knicks and could be used to get good players in their prime. Steve Francis came here to end his career and get paid.

Iman Shumpert is the core to our defensive unit, he has more worth then Amar'e Stoudemire in my eyes. Knicks Brass would be foolish to let Shump go!

They should be trying to work out a sign & trade with the Raptors involving Lin instead of giving up Shumpert to get Nash IMO.

Toronto is obviously high on Nash but they're also high on Jeremy Lin, & they just invested a ton of money on Lin's BFF Landry so I can't imagine they'd be opposed to giving up some of their assets along with Jose Calderon to the Suns to get Lin to Toronto.

I would much rather try & swing a trade like this over giving up Shumpert to obtain Nash:

Knicks sign & trade Jeremy Lin & Landry Fields
    Knicks get Steve Nash & Sonny Weems

Toronto trades Jose Calderon, Sonny Weems & a 1st round pick
    Toronto gets Jeremy Lin & Landry Fields

Phoenix signs & trades Steve Nash
    Phoenix gets Jose Calderon & TOR's 1st rd pick

- After that sign J Kidd to a vet min contract, resign Novak & JR Smith using their Bird Rights & go after Marcus Camby with the MMLE

C - Chandler / Camby
    PF - Amare / Harrellson
    SF - Melo / Novak
    SG - JR / Weems / White (Shump when he gets back)
    PG - Nash / Kidd / Douglas

i'll just keep the Nash talk into a single thread, the link to the yahoo source was already posted in the original topic

I know I shouldn't care this much but dammit how many times does this team do the same stupid sh*t and then tell us Fans well in so many years it will work itself out.

Chris Rock ‏@chrisrock

Dear Knicks please don't trade shumpert does anybody Remeber Trevor ariza for Stevie Francis.

Right there says it all, no its not about the type of player Nash is compared to Steve Francis. Its just the realities of their ages and how the Knicks organization made a big deal of how Francis was going to play alongside Marbury who they had pegged as being this great player.

That's what the knicks are proposing when they want to go full force for Nash and swear up and down they are willing to pay whatever for Lin. Guys like Ariza would of been great to have on the knicks and could be used to get good players in their prime. Steve Francis came here to end his career and get paid.
    Such painful memories. Ariza would look great in a Knicks uniform now. Some of the moves NYK made over the past decade were the worst trades that a franchise could make and yet Dolan kept repeating the same mistakes.

I can see the win-now mentality but getting Nash is not going to be the answer. I hope I am wrong on this one.

As much as I hate getting rid of shumpert, all of you are puzzling. Now we got people comparing this trade to ariza for francis. WOW. Fans are puzzling. Yes it may come back to haunt us in the future, but the lin deal is already going to **** up our future. We have Melo, Chandler, and Stat NOW...No matter how the fans feel about these guys after last season, its still a roster built with the mentality to "WIN NOW". And to "WIN NOW" we need a floor general. Thats what Nash is. Lin can be great, but hes not a floor general yet. Hes a good pg with potential to develop into a great one. Shumpert showed great ability on Defense. He has potential to become one of the best peremiter defenders in the NBA. Hes also coming off two knee injuries in the same year, one of them being potentially career altering. And as much as I like the kid, hes not going to be the reason we win or dont win in the next 3 years. Since we have a roster thats built to "WIN NOW"( though most diagree) Nash is the direction they need to go.

Again Im sick with getting rid of shump, but some people need to calm the F down. Im tired of waiting for the future. Building towards something that may or matnot happen. Im not ready to build around lin and shumpert. Not because of a good rookie season and a lights out stretch of games. Were stuck with melo, stat and chandler. I want to win, or at least feel like we can win going into a season, and even though hes old Nash definetely gives me more excitment and a better feeling for next season.

None of us are promised tommorow. We can plan ahead all we want but nothing is gauranteed. And as someone said earlier, this isnt baseball.

Originally Posted by Tokie420
    None of us are promised tommorow. We can plan ahead all we want but nothing is gauranteed. And as someone said earlier, this isnt baseball.
    so that's the retort we don't know if they're be a tomorrow so go all in now.... that is the same sh*t the knicks have been saying every time they make stupid move especially these last few years as they head to a 1 and done in the playoffs. Aren't you tired as a fan of being told "well we'll make this stupid move now and hey then the knicks will win it all". Come on this is the 3rd Old PG on this team in 3 years the other 2 broke down entering the playoffs. The knicks lucked up into Lin and yeah... He broke down too. But hey doubling down on Nash and Lin thats the Offseason plan after the fiasco in the 1st round this year.

I mean if the Knicks had a 33-35 Nash the retort could be win now. Now its Win now or Else because even if you lose your going to be a lottery time for twice the time period of everybody else, because its going to take twice the time to regain assets.

Also the knicks haven't built towards there future since like forever. Its always the "now, now, now" mentality that screws them.
    Last edited by Wargames; Jul 04, 2012 at 15:08.

near the lincoln tunnel in Union City, NJ staying close to MSG

Originally Posted by Tokie420
    As much as I hate getting rid of shumpert, all of you are puzzling. Now we got people comparing this trade to ariza for francis. WOW. Fans are puzzling. Yes it may come back to haunt us in the future, but the lin deal is already going to **** up our future. We have Melo, Chandler, and Stat NOW...No matter how the fans feel about these guys after last season, its still a roster built with the mentality to "WIN NOW". And to "WIN NOW" we need a floor general. Thats what Nash is. Lin can be great, but hes not a floor general yet. Hes a good pg with potential to develop into a great one. Shumpert showed great ability on Defense. He has potential to become one of the best peremiter defenders in the NBA. Hes also coming off two knee injuries in the same year, one of them being potentially career altering. And as much as I like the kid, hes not going to be the reason we win or dont win in the next 3 years. Since we have a roster thats built to "WIN NOW"( though most diagree) Nash is the direction they need to go.

Again Im sick with getting rid of shump, but some people need to calm the F down. Im tired of waiting for the future. Building towards something that may or matnot happen. Im not ready to build around lin and shumpert. Not because of a good rookie season and a lights out stretch of games. Were stuck with melo, stat and chandler. I want to win, or at least feel like we can win going into a season, and even though hes old Nash definetely gives me more excitment and a better feeling for next season.

Your saying Nash would make the Knicks a championship team?

If you are, I'm sorry to say your wrong. Nash won't work in Woodson's system, he doesn't play the best defense, and is old. Iman is a must keep, and Lin is the better gamble. Nash is worth too much, Kidd should be the target.

Also the knicks haven't built towards there future since like forever. Its always the "now, now, now" mentality that screws them.
    This myopic mentality has put NYK in a forever rebuilding mode.

If we lose Shumpert to sign Nash then I am finished following this joke of a team.