Shawne Williams vs. Novak

New New York

Quiet Storm
Not sure if Portland has officially bought Williams out, but I guess that is a possibility.

He said he would want to come back to NY (or like every other players has listed us with the likes of Mia. and LA)

Now obviously he and Novak does not make sense, so I beg who would you rahter?

My choice is Shawne Williams

Novak is a head above in terms of shooting, but that's it!

Novak is a liability of D while Shawne Williams can actually defend!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLam4Cz3A2U

Neither can really drive, but Novak is completley inept at it

Now, I'm not bashing everyone's favorite shooter but when Novak got shut down against the Heat there literally was no reason for him to be out on the floor.

What do yall think?

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Novak.jpg

At least Novak is Loyal, and wouldn't leave us to go to the Nyets

But i dont see why we cant have Shawne Williams for VET MIN, after he left the Knicks his value plunged down.

Kidd
JR
Novak
Purp
Jeffries or Jorts

The floor spacing is deadly

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
Not sure if Portland has officially bought Williams out, but I guess that is a possibility.

He said he would want to come back to NY (or like every other players has listed us with the likes of Mia. and LA)

Now obviously he and Novak does not make sense, so I beg who would you rahter?

My choice is Shawne Williams

Novak is a head above in terms of shooting, but that's it!

Novak is a liability of D while Shawne Williams can actually defend!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLam4Cz3A2U

Neither can really drive, but Novak is completley inept at it

Now, I'm not bashing everyone's favorite shooter but when Novak got shut down against the Heat there literally was no reason for him to be out on the floor.

What do yall think?

We need players that can spread the floor for Lin, Melo, and Amare....Novak does that in abundance.

He was one of the best 3 point shooters in the NBA and he is sorely needed on this team.

However, Williams brings much better defense and rebounding. Plus Williams can knock down the 3.

My choice would be taking both.

If I had to choose it would be Novak just because how lights out and consistent he is from 3.

Williams can be had for vet min and he would be a steal at that price.

With the possbility of a sign and trade and giving up Harrelson and Jordan, we will have to resign big men...Jeffries and Williams would be nice. Spread the floor with a bench lineup of Williams at one corner and Novak at the other corner, give Kidd some options.

Kidd
J.R
Novak
Williams
Jeffries/Camby?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
It's not that tough a call.....

If one were to have an off-season, you'd want it to be Williams, simply because he has so much more to his game.

Novak's ability to spread the floor is priceless though. He and Lin seem to have some sort of yin/yang connection when on the floor together, too.

Most would refer to Williams as the better rebounder, but Novak, being 6'10, can carom misses well defensively.

HEAD TO HEAD

Shooting: Novak...being the best in the league arguably.
Rebounding: Williams - especially when under physical pressure.
Passing: Novak
Awareness: Novak offensively and defensively. Seriously. His awareness helps to balance his physical incapabilities.
Defense all round: Williams. Big advantage in the post.
Versatility: Williams

Regardless of any measurements, Novak has proven his worth in a number of games, and wants back. He has a experience under Woody and will only benefit all the more from Kidd.

I like Williams' toughness, but he's not what we need. We need a bomber to scare opponents and open the floor for others. None better to have on board than.....

Novak.

Paul1355

All Star
Crazy⑧s;240484 said:
It's not that tough a call.....

If one were to have an off-season, you'd want it to be Williams, simply because he has so much more to his game.

Novak's ability to spread the floor is priceless though. He and Lin seem to have some sort of yin/yang connection when on the floor together, too.

Most would refer to Williams as the better rebounder, but Novak, being 6'10, can carom misses well defensively.

HEAD TO HEAD

Shooting: Novak...being the best in the league arguably.
Rebounding: Williams - especially when under physical pressure.
Passing: Novak
Awareness: Novak offensively and defensively. Seriously. His awareness helps to balance his physical incapabilities.
Defense all round: Williams. Big advantage in the post.
Versatility: Williams

Regardless of any measurements, Novak has proven his worth in a number of games, and wants back. He has a experience under Woody and will only benefit all the more from Kidd.

I like Williams' toughness, but he's not what we need. We need a bomber to scare opponents and open the floor for others. None better to have on board than.....

Novak.

Novak has better defensive awareness yet he is worse on defense? Makes no sense and disagree completely with putting Novak over Williams in anything relating to defense.

Williams showed he can play tough defense, Novak is a softy that gets taken advantage of

Wargames

Starter
If Shawne comes for the minimum i am ok with it. A line up of him and Novak would open the court up for say Amare to penetrate. It would be a good look. If he doesnt come back well whatever.

Cuckoo

Benchwarmer
If we dont sign Novak, Lakers will. They need 3-shooters to spread defense around their core of Nash, Bryant, Gasol, Bynum/Howard.

At this point, I dont see any reason of not signing him.

Hell yeah! More Tax for Dolan!

New New York

Quiet Storm
first off +1 for everyone in this thread for keeping it positive...I have posted so few post nowadays because all you see is internet tough guys bashing each other...it's cool once in a while, but it has gotten old in the past year

Anyways I guess complaining about posters is no better, so let me hop of the Soap Box!

1.Look, I hate that Williams bounced for The Nets as well, yet that was more New Jersey trying to be slick and ultimately out paid for a player trying to stick it to us. personally I respect the fact that Shawne Williams has mouths to feed, his basketball career was nearly over and he made the most of his 2nd shot, not mad at him for taking more money...now had we offered the same amount as NJ and he picked them he would be in a class w/ Pat Riley!

2. I agree that having the 2 of them on the 2nd unit would be unreal! Stat would get 14 pts per game just playing with those guys

Lin (assumin Kidd starts)
JR Smith
Williams
Novak
Stat

I'd take that 5 over most lottery teams starting 5 in a 7 game series!

3. Let it be known, I do like Novak, I just know he is due for a nice payday and I'd like to see something else from him...I know, it kinda is what it is

Does anyone else remember Dantoni using him to get turn around jumpshots in the post (ala Dirk)...now I think he was like 1 for 5 doing so, but it suggest that he had to have been knocking them down in practice to go to it in games...now that would be huge for us if he even hit that at 45%

metrocard

Legend
Purple Juice > Purple Drank.

Novak impacted our offense similar to how Chandlers size impacted our defense. Novak is a game changer, Williams isnt. Novak isnt a horrid defender BTW, he made some plays last season.

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
Keeping Novak is a given, is it possible to get even more open shots this season with kidd and lin running point all season? You know it !

I loved williams while he was here, his corner threes were on point and would welcome him back in a heartbeat, as long as it's for the minimum which is what we can afford right now.

STAT1

Starter
Novak is much more consistent of a shooter. Shawne Williams was very streaky, would knock down 5 in a row then go cold & miss his next 10. We need more consistency from a spot up shooter.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Novak has better defensive awareness yet he is worse on defense? Makes no sense and disagree completely with putting Novak over Williams in anything relating to defense.

Williams showed he can play tough defense, Novak is a softy that gets taken advantage of

How does it not make sense? He's high on awareness, low on capability. He plays a different role, nonetheless, as he often covers the perimeter.

It's just a case of physical attributes being in favor more so of one than the other. Novak's limited physically. Again, how does that not make sense?

Paul1355

All Star
Crazy⑧s;240590 said:
How does it not make sense? He's high on awareness, low on capability. He plays a different role, nonetheless, as he often covers the perimeter.

It's just a case of physical attributes being in favor more so of one than the other. Novak's limited physically. Again, how does that not make sense?

Being good at defense is all about awareness. You can have someone that is physical brute yet he sucks at defense. Amare is a perfect example, he is a beast physically and has the ability to block any shot but his awareness is terrible which makes him a bad defender.

Williams showed that he could be a very good defender on the ball and play tough hard nosed defense.

Novak is known for his soft defense, yet I believe he has shown at times he is decent but if you compare the two it is not even close...Williams is more physical, stronger, and has better awareness.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
We can't forget about the fact that Shawne Williams shot 24.1% from beyond the arc last year. Granted he only played 25 games, but it begs the question as to whether or not he was just streaky when it came to shooting.

Novak, at least, we know is an excellent shooter. I think we have the pieces on defense to make up for Novak's lack of defense, especially if we retain Jared Jeffries, but...

New New York

Quiet Storm
Well lets revisit this!

Everyone felt Novak was the obvious choice...yet Novak struggled this year shooting the ball thus giving us nothing!

We need more 2 way players and Novak is far from that... Didn't see then this Defensive potential in Novak everyone kept mentioning Novak had;certainly didn't show this year

Bring this back up because Williams is slated to workout w us to audition for a spot

Last edited:

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
I thought we had enough of low IQ players that tend to get themselves into trouble? Not only have we a pot-addicted 6th man of the year, but now we're inviting a guy who not longer than a year ago got busted for dealing codeine to a workout camp? Seriously Grunwald?

Kiyaman

Legend
How well will Knicks GM Grunwald do this offseason???

Well lets revisit this!

Everyone felt Novak was the obvious choice...yet Novak struggled this year shooting the ball thus giving us nothing!

We need more 2 way players and Novak is far from that... Didn't see then this Defensive potential in Novak everyone kept mentioning Novak had;certainly didn't show this year

Bring this back up because Williams is slated to workout w us to audition for a spot

Shawn Williams perimeter shooting worked out well when our rotation of forwards were Amare, Gallo, W.Chandler.
Steve Novak perimeter shooting worked out well when we had a uptempo transition rotation with Lin running the point.
It would b a nice asset to have Both perimeter shooting Forwards (Novak & Shawn) on our roster next season, so Felton & Shump could always have the option of kicking the ball out on the perimeter.
As for Novak & Shawn defensive-effort both box-out well for the defensive-rebound for a grade-C+ on team-defense, however they are not shot-blockers or man to man defenders on oponents thats always using well formed screens & picks for their offense .. that is HC Woodson job to teach team-defensive-switches in the paint to "Chandler, Amare, and Melo" so Copeland, Novak, Shawn, and a backup center could follow suit.
Example: how well did Pacers Hibbert's, and Spurs Duncan's teammates work defensive-switches so well to where Hibbert & Duncan stayed in the paint area for 20 seconds on the defensive-end of the court???
The Spurs & Pacers had a grade A+ defensive team.

To stop all the silly rumors of Knicks players jumping-ship to the next team in the offseason ....
As an old Knicks Fan since GM Chekkett, all of our organization GM's had a bad-bad habit of waiting for the final days of the offseason to resign our decent role-players. It does not matter if our role-players work-out at our practice facility all summer long their agents dont get a call from our Knicks GM untill a week before training-camp open. Every Knicks GM for the last 30 years has always been to damn busy over-paying so-call star players double their worth during the offseason, by putting everything in one basket for a quick-fix winning season that never work (Isiah Thomas was not the only SUCKER GM we had) .... the reason why HC Hubie Brown, Pat Riley, and JVG QUIT on the Knicks organization.
I recall in 2009 offseason our Fan Favorite FA David Lee, and two time winner of Dunk contest FA little Nate waiting until the week of training camp to b resign to the Knicks .. now that is PURE BULLSH..... if u ask me .. Nothing Change!!!

Shawn Williams and Jeremy Lin's agents waited throughout the entire offseason for a call from Knicks GM that was never made .. sad sad sad