Kidd to Knicks

Kiyaman

Legend
Just heard it on ESPN sports.... Great News: Jason Kidd leadership in MSG .... No more ISO-Melo offense running good players out of New York.

munco

Benchwarmer
Have a lot of you guys seen JKidd play in the last few years? He plays like a very old man at this point.

The last two seasons he shot 36%. I repeat 36%.
Last year he averaged 6.2 PPG and 5.5 APG in 29 minutes.
That's not to mention how easy it is to get past him at this point in his career.

He can play some backup minutes but adding him won't help much at all.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Great pickup. Veteran pickup and I think J Kidd has a little tread left on those tires. I thought Kidd was just using the Knicks for leverage, but I guess NY by way of Dallas is the new pipeline. Shows our boys are serious. Can't wait to see how Woody stirs this drink. Hate to tell ya Lin fans, but Linsanity in NYC is over.:)

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
I think the big difference for a lot of Knicks' fans is that signing Kidd doesn't cost us Shump. Kidd also can still play a little defense, unlike Nash. Overall, I would have preferred Nash, but Kidd is better than the diddly squat we were about to get from this offseason.
:agreed: rep, Kidd is also an underrated rebounder and can play some 2 guard.

Have a lot of you guys seen JKidd play in the last few years? He plays like a very old man at this point.

That's not to mention how easy it is to get past him at this point in his career.

He's coming here to be a back-up, so minutes played is not an issue. As far as his stats last year, they've definitely tailed off, but take a look at what he did to close out last year and in the playoffs. He can still give quality minutes when the need is there. As far as his shooting, it is what it is, but he's not coming here to take too many shots. Biggest plus with Kidd is that despite getting up there in years, he still can play some defense (steals have remained pretty good as well).

munco

Benchwarmer
Also it's insane to compare Nash to Kidd at this point. There's a reason Nash is getting paid big money. The guy can still flat out play. Second in the league in assists and he was passing to scrubs. He also shot a career best 53% from the field comapred to Kidd's abysmal 36%.

2011 - 2012 Stats

Kidd: 29 Min/Game, 36% FG, 6.2 PPG, 5.5 APG

Nash: 32 Min/Game, 53% FG*, 12.5 PPG, 10.7 APG
*Career High

CoolClyde

sKidd marks

excellent news to have the wife beater on the squad.
He was NBA champ with Chandler, having the 2 of them together again is just as good as Nash reuniting with STAT, IMHO. remember, we were gonna lose Shump in Nash deal, so it all works out for best.

However, Kyle Lowry just signed with Raptors, Dragic signed with Suns, where does that leave Houston? they have to be DESPERATE to get Lin...

i can't believe anything i read now, after hearing Kidd signed with Mavs initially.
I assume Mavs won't do a sign & trade with Knicks, since they didn't want to lose him in the first place, so I guess Knicks are using MLE...?

anyone else Knicks go for (Felton, Foye) must be sign & trade or Vets min?

what's next?

munco

Benchwarmer
He's coming here to be a back-up, so minutes played is not an issue. As far as his stats last year, they've definitely tailed off, but take a look at what he did to close out last year and in the playoffs. He can still give quality minutes when the need is there. As far as his shooting, it is what it is, but he's not coming here to take too many shots. Biggest plus with Kidd is that despite getting up there in years, he still can play some defense (steals have remained pretty good as well).

I agree he's not expected to and shouldn't play big minutes but I'm a bit baffled by the reactions on the board. I think he can still contribute, but I don't think this is a great move for the Knicks at this point. If we were one solid playmaker away I think it's a good move but we're not. He'd make a great addition to a team like Miami or OKC but we need guys that can make major contributions now.

The value that he'll bring is overstated imo. He brought 6 points and 5 assists a game last year in 30 minutes shooting 36%. He'll probably play 15 to 20 minutes for us and give us 4 points and 4 assists a game. I don't see why guys are so excited.

knicksince 93

Rotation player
stop comparing nash to kidd. kidds contribution is to balance our team full of knickleheads (knuckleheads) show leadership and a competitive fire so they dont take plays off MOST IMPORTANTLY not make mistakes! which gives the other team extra possesions. take a look at how many close games we lost and those games we may have gotten 10 takeaways and had 25 turnovers, thats 15 extra possesions the team got more then us and barely won the game. if anybody was satisfied with baron davis contributions then they will love kidd because at this stage he will do exactly what diddy did for minus the mistakes and turnovers. great signing!

Kiyaman

Legend
Unlike nash, kidd is a cheaper and better defensive player who is willing to take a backseat to lin. Unlike nash, kidd is a champion who has so much more postseason experience than nash. Not saying i wouldnt take nash over kidd but this is the smarter signing.

Its a no brainer .... young or ole Kidd has always shine over Nash in every capacity of the game. All Kidd's backups and SG tandems improve their talents with Kidd leading the team.
Stat will play all 82 games with Kidd on the roster.
Melo will accept Kidd's halfcourt offense at moving without the ball when his fg % stay above 50% during the season.
Kidd will let Shump know all about the healing process of ACL tear.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
I agree he's not expected to and shouldn't play big minutes but I'm a bit baffled by the reactions on the board. I think he can still contribute, but I don't think this is a great move for the Knicks at this point. If we were one solid playmaker away I think it's a good move but we're not. He'd make a great addition to a team like Miami or OKC but we need guys that can make major contributions now.

The value that he'll bring is overstated imo. He brought 6 points and 5 assists a game last year in 30 minutes shooting 36%. He'll probably play 15 to 20 minutes for us and give us 4 points and 4 assists a game. I don't see why guys are so excited.
PROS outweigh the CONS

PROS

-may be old but still one of the best floor Generals at the PG position

-You know he'll make the right plays

-Tyson Chandler & KIDD reunion

-Plays Defense

-Underrated Rebounder

-He's in shape

-Pass 1st type PG coming off your bench

-Can still push the Tempo

-Can spread the floor

-Future HALL OF FAMER

-Great Mentor for Lin

-Knows what it takes to win

CONS

-he's 39 years old

-Coming off a (NOT SO HOT SEASON)

If you look at the MAVS last season that team was crap from the start, even dirk had a bad season. The odom Drama + coming off a championship that team was on cruise mode as if they didn't really care about the season. Your not looking for KIDD to log in many mins but kidd as a plan B off the bench as your PG, thats not to shabby

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend

Ha Ha Ha ..... u know nothin about Basketball....
Jason Kidd is a coach/leader/and a PG who design his own plays with teammates.
Plus Kidd is great at developing bench role-players.

Kiyaman

Legend

Lastseason NBA schedule was built for young college players only .. cut it out.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
First and foremost, Kidd is a great defender, seven times NBA all-defensive team. Great pick up! Props to Grunnie for making this happen!

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Kidd brings:

Defense (he can still defend at this age, which is incredible).

Leadership (He is a CHAMPION).

Playmaking/mentoring for Jeremy Lin (I don't want Raymond Felton anywhere near this team).

Good signing for us. Now the question is...shooting guard?