View Poll Results: Should the Knicks Resign Jeremy Lin?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! Linsanity must return to NYC!

38 80.85%
  • NO! Spike Lin is not worth $30 over 4 years!

8 17.02%
  • I'm not sure, but I like dumpLINgs in my soup

1 2.13%
  • any PG will do

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should the Knicks Sign Lin / Match Houston?

but from a business standpoint, JLIN already proved his worth from LINSANITY sales, Knicks t-shirts, Linsanity t-shirts, filled garden seats, filled arenas wherever he played, international rights to Knick games, etc. He has ALREADY made the Knicks org more money than they're going to pay him for the next four years.

that being said, what is Lin worth as a player? he showed the ability to score in the clutch and win games, he played defense, he got into the paint, he dished and swished and made a mediocre team without STAT, without MELO, into winners. he was able to dish to Novak, to Chandler, to STAT. with little to no experience!!!!!

whether or not he is a flash in the pan (wok joke), even if Lin is not capable of being the starting PG (something the Knicks need more than anything right now), who else is there for the money the Knicks have, that can do better than Lin did last year in his short but sweet insane stretch of magnificence? Felton? Sessions? Machado? Felton's numbers went down in Portland, Sessions faltered in the playoffs, and Machado is unproven macho college material.

Remember, Antoni was famous for driving his players into the ground ("i'll ride him like Secretariat"), and Lin saved his job (for the time being as it was), and played harder than any Knick (other than Chandler), on offense AND defense, no wonder he went down with injury.

Lin is EXACTLY what this club needs, the fact that the Knicks are ABLE to afford him, thanks to the early Bird rights ruling (not mention Dolan's mega-bucks), who give a flying f*ck about the salary cap implications and penalties? Not Dolan! Knick fans should rejoice in the fact we can have him on the team, if not as a first option, then a primo second. He is worth the money, from a business AND player (ie: professional) viewpoint.

IMHO. Amen.

PS: I voted yes

Lin can sell popularity to the Asian market, bring a new dimension to already hot market in NYC... The fact is Lin is a raw potential that has upside but is a glaring liability right now... Is he worth this type of contract no one can really say... But as of now he is more a negative then a positive... Is he intelligent, of course he is ~ an Ivy League School, but again eagerness to be better and having the ability to be better... I think for the money on the table there are more valuable players available then paying an unknown to collect a payday that he doesn't deserve...

So I say "NO" Lin hasn't earned this type contract... 25 games he didn't prove nothing but be a spark to a league with no off-season to prepare for that short 66 game season...

People forget the Miami Heat made Lin look like a Jr Varsity Point Guard, at this point Lin is better served as a back-up not a multi-million dollar player handed the starting role from one third of a season aspect...

Could Lin become that superstar in two or three years?
    Will LeBron James win another Championship?
    Can Melo & Stat perform as a successful tandem?
    Will Nash bring new life to Kobe n the Lakers?
    These are questions with answers that go either way ~ 50/50 chance...

Knicks right now have a roster that can win now, and crap shoot a 50/50 chance that Lin will be the missing piece in the future, is NOT now...

Veteran

I voted no. As stated above, 25 games is too small a sample size for a long-term contract. Let Houston step in the grass.... And I don't know why marketing is even part of the equation. Our last marketing point-guard "Starbury" was a disaster. Miami just won without a top-tier PG. Dallas won with PG by committee.... Bulls won 6 without a PG... Lakers won with Fish....IDK

OK, i'm liking the feedback and can appreciate where the NO's are coming from. bear in mind, the only reason Lin became a marketing star was because the Knicks starting Linning many many games. i don't agree that 25 games is too little time to gauge the Linsanity. but I agree to disagree.

<Kiyaman quote: Clyde took to long at a poll >

that's what she said. why is everyone dissing my poll? it was up 20 seconds after the thread was made. jeez!!

Veteran

Originally Posted by CoolClyde
    OK, i'm liking the feedback and can appreciate where the NO's are coming from. bear in mind, the only reason Lin became a marketing star was because the Knicks starting Linning many many games. i don't agree that 25 games is too little time to gauge the Linsanity. but I agree to disagree.

<Kiyaman quote: Clyde took to long at a poll >

that's what she said. why is everyone dissing my poll? it was up 20 seconds after the thread was made. jeez!!
    No the poll was on point CC...But check it...maybe we started "Linning" because of the surprise factor. Remember Kobe before that Friday night game "Jeremy Who". Its like the kid at the gym who shows up, doesn't look like a baller, then torches everybody. All of a sudden, you aren't a secret anymore and guys start checkin ya... When that happened to Lin, all of a sudden he is shut down for the season. 4 weeks became 6 weeks became 8 weeks became out for the season. So he was "too valuable" to play game 4-5 in the playoffs??? Valuable or hiding???? IDK

Jim, I am not saying that your wrong on JLin missing in the playoffs, but don't you think a chance at a playoff win with JLin would of been worth it to the knicks to risk exposing him to the Heat for 4 games?

I have worries about the injury but because they let him rehab and watched him closely I expect he's well worth the money.

Yes.

And either way we ARE going to sign him and we'll all get to see who was right and wrong here.

From a business prespective this is a no-brainer.

From a basketball perspective it has risks but with JKidd probably in the fold, they are minimal.

Originally Posted by tkrieger
    Lin has that rare ability to singlehandedly get wins for a team...... That alone is worth the contract and then some.........

Lin does four things as well as any starting PG in the league, defense (only Chalmers, and maybe Teague are better), breaking down the defense with the dribble (only Rondo, Westbrook, Paul, Rose, and maybe Irving are better), seeing the floor (only Nash, Rondo, and maybe Rubio are better), and clutch play (only Chris Paul had a better 4th qtr PER last season).

Lin's only weaknesses are shooting from the field, turnovers, picking up the dribble in traffic, and taking unnecessary fouls. All will likely improve.
    Yep and I am hoping Kidd can help Lin to figure out how to make a beeline pass from the perimeter to a teammate slashing to the basket. If he can learn that I expect him to be even more of a threat.

near the lincoln tunnel in Union City, NJ staying close to MSG

Lin needs to improve a lot, he's not as good as some of you are making him out to be. I chose to match the contract because of what he was able to do on the fly. He is a smart player and has the skills and potential to be better. He was not ready to play the minutes he played last season and it took into effect. I like to see what he can do better conditioned, more experience, and a mentor beside him. He must improve his left, has to stop stopping his dribble, lower his turnovers, and be in better shape.

if they let Lin go, only possible reason is Melo. He got D fired too and Lin was only good because of D.

Veteran

Is he worth that money? NO. especially with only the little game time he's received. and some of the performances he has turned out.

BUT

with the potential shown you cant let him walk. nor the marketing/revenue the Knicks can make off him. not only for those reasons but the little risk involved..

the first two years are 5.2 million.. the third is the big 9 BUT that contract can be looked at as expiring. Since the 4th is TEAM option. He then becomes a trade asset. good player or not.

from a potential and business standpoint it's low risk high reward.

Superstar

The reason I think that Lin deserves this money is because even though his time wasn't that much, while he was rough at times from lack of experience, he got better almost every single game.

Just when you kept thinking, oh well this is as good as he can get, he kept exceeding it and improving.

He is also, smart, and dedicated ... He could have made MILLIONS off of endorsements this summer.. but instead he chose to work and improve and earn whatever money is given to him by the team.

My only worry is injury. I pray to god the last one was just a fluke, everyone gets injured now and then, but I hope he isn't an injury prone type player. To me the question isn't will he be good enough of a player to earn that money it is getting, its will he stay healthy.

Superstar

Default Lin

If we do not match the offer, the ony thing we gain is perhaps avoidance of luxury tax in the third year of his contract. With or without his contract, we will not have any cap space for at least three years anyway. And if we do not sign him, the amount we would currently have for others will not change.

Sure, he is getting a ridiculous amount of money for a samll sample size of reasonably good play. But even Felton was apparently looking for a sign and trade in the $4M to $6M range. They all make ridiculous amounts of money.

We sign him and hope he keeps getting better. There is no way the offer will not be matched.

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

without kidd on tab, id have to think long and hard and see if we can get a good s&t package. but now that we have kidd on tab, i match without a doubt. year 3 will hurt but well have plenty of expiring contracts so we could completely rebuild. Lin is young, smart and talented and willing to learn. more so willing to prove he wasnt a fluke. still hungry we sign him no doubt. Kidd will make this dude way better

Veteran

YES

I wonder-wonder if Lin had something to do with Kidd's decison to chose Knicks..........

Dolan got Lin one of the leagues best tutors .. or maybe Tyson Chandler buddy-buddy with Lin made that call to bring same-page stability in MSG

I dont see JR.Smith making the team with Kidd & Lin at the point....maybe Grunwald could work a sign n trade .. do anyone think Memphis would trade OJ Mayo for JR.Smith?

Has anyone decided on a SG to replace Fields at the starter spot? and how much should we pay our starter SG?
    Dont mention Shump if u are unaware of a torn ACL healing process.

Originally Posted by Oldtimer
    If we do not match the offer, the ony thing we gain is perhaps avoidance of luxury tax in the third year of his contract. With or without his contract, we will not have any cap space for at least three years anyway. And if we do not sign him, the amount we would currently have for others will not change.

Sure, he is getting a ridiculous amount of money for a samll sample size of reasonably good play. But even Felton was apparently looking for a sign and trade in the $4M to $6M range. They all make ridiculous amounts of money.

We sign him and hope he keeps getting better. There is no way the offer will not be matched.

Superstar Oldtimer making a TON of sense, per usual.

here's a good article from NY Times detailing pluses and minuses of matching:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]