Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: James White > Landry Fields

Isn't James White known for hsi ability to attack the rim and dunk?

Those videos show me this dudes hangtime is like MJ

Whites vertical looks better than Fields and looks more athletic.

Nice pickup by the Knicks, I hope he can play some decent defense and hit an open jumper

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

He can't be worse than Shawne Williams, lets hope White can bring defensive intensity so he can maintain a role on this team.

Lurker

Originally Posted by Paul1355
    Isn't James White known for hsi ability to attack the rim and dunk?

Those videos show me this dudes hangtime is like MJ

Whites vertical looks better than Fields and looks more athletic.

Nice pickup by the Knicks, I hope he can play some decent defense and hit an open jumper
    He can dunk, but oddly enough, he can't attack the rim. His handle isn't good enough. On wide open breakaway dunks, sure, he can attack the rim. If only those were worth more than 2 pts...

I used to follow him starting from when he was in college at Cincy. I wanted to see him make the league and get in the dunk contest so bad. Until I saw Gerald Green chin to the rim last year, White was the most explosive bball leaper I'd ever seen, yes even more explosive than MJ.

But I lost track of him and lost interest after realizing he's just not very good. Unless he improved dramatically over in Europe, he's just a sideshow circus act.

I hope I'm wrong. It looks like Green has polished his game up to become more than just a dunker, so maybe White has done the same...

I don't even think they'll be enough playing time for him to make an impact. Unless you're a bigman, power dunks don't equate to being a good NBA player.

Veteran

Originally Posted by pikkiwoki
    He can dunk, but oddly enough, he can't attack the rim. His handle isn't good enough. On wide open breakaway dunks, sure, he can attack the rim. If only those were worth more than 2 pts...

I used to follow him starting from when he was in college at Cincy. I wanted to see him make the league and get in the dunk contest so bad. Until I saw Gerald Green chin to the rim last year, White was the most explosive bball leaper I'd ever seen, yes even more explosive than MJ.

But I lost track of him and lost interest after realizing he's just not very good. Unless he improved dramatically over in Europe, he's just a sideshow circus act.

I hope I'm wrong. It looks like Green has polished his game up to become more than just a dunker, so maybe White has done the same...
    Good assessment of White. Border line D-Leaguer that had a couple of cups of coffees in the NBA. White has always been a mystery to me, decent outside shot and can knock down the 3, great leaper but average speed with the ball because of his handle and as you say can't create his own shot.

He's 30 now and has kicked around Europe for a few years since his last NBA appearance, I am sure he's gotten better otherwise I don't think the Knicks would have brought him over but I doubt he's better than Landry.

River Rocks, Port Rich (Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico PUNETA!!!)

Marc Berman: Source said #Knicks likely to wait the limit on Fields offer sheet.

Frank Isola: The Knicks don't really care about the paying the luxury tax which is why you can see them matching the offer for Landry Fields.

Read more: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Maybe Fields is not gone? Did we already consider him a Raptor?

Originally Posted by portega1968
    Marc Berman: Source said #Knicks likely to wait the limit on Fields offer sheet.

Frank Isola: The Knicks don't really care about the paying the luxury tax which is why you can see them matching the offer for Landry Fields.

its not like he is a bad player but his contract is smh if we do in fact match

River Rocks, Port Rich (Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico PUNETA!!!)

Michael Grange: Colangelo says #Knicks are "50-50" on matching Fields offer ... #Raptors #NBA Twitter

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Veteran

I think we should keep him, 19M 3yr deal is not Stat money. We just gave Novak a 4yr 15M deal and he plays less minutes than Landry does. The Knicks would be paying about 16M in tax if our payroll exceeds the 70M tax threshold by 10M, the Knicks don't care and we could stop looking for a wing.

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

really? i thought the guy was gone and already shopping in toronto. unno if i wanna match that. wanna rid ourselves of the bad contracts that doomed us the last decade.

Michael Grange: Colangelo says #Knicks are "50-50" on matching Fields offer ... #Raptors #NBA Twitter

Originally Posted by tiger0330
    I think we should keep him, 19M 3yr deal is not Stat money. We just gave Novak a 4yr 15M deal and he plays less minutes than Landry does. The Knicks would be paying about 16M in tax if our payroll exceeds the 70M tax threshold by 10M, the Knicks don't care and we could stop looking for a wing.

I mean its a sign of the knicks situation where you have to wonder if it might be easier to keep Landry to grossly overpay him since the Knicks will be stuck anyway, but still this to me sounds like Colangelo praying out loud after he realized how he screwed himself.

Veteran

We should not match Fields' deal. He really is not that good. He is a shooting guard who cannot shoot and cannot hit free throws.

Think about it - if we don't match it, we're sticking it to the Raptors. **** them.

Lurker

Fields' long range shot was garbage this year, but he does everything else pretty well.

I pray the Knicks don't match. Don't get me wrong, I like Fields and I wish him the best. I think he got really lucky with the contract he got from Toronto and he should run to the bank with that. As for the Knicks, we can do better for much less, no need to overpay landry for that much. We don't need a scorer in that position, just a solid defender that can make an open shot when it comes through.

Superstar

Default Fields

The real question is whether or not other teams would view the Toronto offer as too high. If he were to play as he did last year, Toronto will have overpaid and they will have a bad contract on their hands. However, if he improves his shot substantially and otherwise demonstrates his hustle and basketball IQ, his contract will not be bad and he will perhaps be an asset rather than a liability.

If we were to match Toronto's offer, we would not be able to trade him for some period of time -- I am not sure what that period is, but doubt that it is longer than a year. The first two years of his new contract are not as bad as the last two. If we think Fields is worth the Toronto offer, perhaps we would look to him as possibly a trade chip whenever he could be traded, maybe for a draft pick. Otherwise, with perhaps the exception of White, we will have no disposable assets to trade and we are going to be over the cap anyway. The risk, of course, is substantial luxury tax.

I do not think he is worth what Toronto has offered.