James White > Landry Fields

portega1968

El Cacique
Bump this thread and make fun of me if he doesn't have a better year than the 11-12 Fields.

are you saying he will start, like Landry?

I mean, I love the fact we signed such a freakish athlete who has grown oversees.

But, if we sign an OJ Mayo or Randy Foye, and retain JR, I'm not sure he'll even be in the rotation.

Lin
Mayo?
Melo
Stat
Tyson

Smith
Kidd
Novak
Jeffries

Camby/Brand/Lewis/Harrelson?

White would have to really impress for Woodson to give him more than 15mins a night

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
are you saying he will start, like Landry?

I mean, I love the fact we signed such a freakish athlete who has grown oversees.

But, if we sign an OJ Mayo or Randy Foye, and retain JR, I'm not sure he'll even be in the rotation.

Lin
Mayo?
Melo
Stat
Tyson

Smith
Kidd
Novak
Jeffries

Camby/Brand/Lewis/Harrelson?

White would have to really impress for Woodson to give him more than 15mins a night
White will be a solid backup for Carmelo:
Lin, JR, Carmelo, Amare, Tyson
Kidd, Foye?, White, Novak, Jeffries/Jorts (or a backup C if we sign one).

nuckles2k2

Superstar
He's the dude who mo-caps all of the dunk animations for NBA 2K. So based on that fact alone...:shrug:whatever.

p0nder

Starter
wow, the guy is athletic. that nike showcase was sick. Is that a real 10' net??? He's looking down at it on every dunk! if he has any brains the guy could be real good. Need to do more research though.

He will need to get burn in blowouts before he'll get any real time to shine, kind of like harrelson/mozgov. But I think Woody is better at recognizeing talent/effort then dan't and will be more willing to let him play.

New New York

Quiet Storm
I have really looked for any footage of him doing anything beyond dunking (even went back to his days at Cincy) looks like that's pretty much what he is made of.

What does extreme athleticism alone amount to?

Some Comparisons that come to mind

Qyntel Woods
Gerald Green
Bill Walker (although not sure he can shoot....not that Bill was that great!)

Landry Feilds underachived this past season so this dude giving us 5 pts and 4 rebs off the bench will theoretically be considered a better season.

More accuratley which player is in the league longer

Now if he out performs a player like JR Smith then we have found something!

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
dont know much about the guy but he's super athletic as far as i can and damn this dude has some sick hops! i can see it now, the gardens gonna love this dude so long as he hustles and hits half his open J's he'll be an instant upgrade over Fields.

STAT1

Starter
Don't expect much out of White. He will be sorta like another Qyntel Woods for us, will get spot minutes here & there & look good in spurts, but for the most part he is not going to be consistent enough to be a legitimate option as a starter

Paul1355

All Star
Isn't James White known for hsi ability to attack the rim and dunk?

Those videos show me this dudes hangtime is like MJ

Whites vertical looks better than Fields and looks more athletic.

Nice pickup by the Knicks, I hope he can play some decent defense and hit an open jumper

metrocard

Legend
He can't be worse than Shawne Williams, lets hope White can bring defensive intensity so he can maintain a role on this team.

pikkiwoki

Rookie
Isn't James White known for hsi ability to attack the rim and dunk?

Those videos show me this dudes hangtime is like MJ

Whites vertical looks better than Fields and looks more athletic.

Nice pickup by the Knicks, I hope he can play some decent defense and hit an open jumper

He can dunk, but oddly enough, he can't attack the rim. His handle isn't good enough. On wide open breakaway dunks, sure, he can attack the rim. If only those were worth more than 2 pts...

I used to follow him starting from when he was in college at Cincy. I wanted to see him make the league and get in the dunk contest so bad. Until I saw Gerald Green chin to the rim last year, White was the most explosive bball leaper I'd ever seen, yes even more explosive than MJ.

But I lost track of him and lost interest after realizing he's just not very good. Unless he improved dramatically over in Europe, he's just a sideshow circus act.

I hope I'm wrong. It looks like Green has polished his game up to become more than just a dunker, so maybe White has done the same...

nyk_nyk

All Star
I don't even think they'll be enough playing time for him to make an impact. Unless you're a bigman, power dunks don't equate to being a good NBA player.

tiger0330

Legend
He can dunk, but oddly enough, he can't attack the rim. His handle isn't good enough. On wide open breakaway dunks, sure, he can attack the rim. If only those were worth more than 2 pts...

I used to follow him starting from when he was in college at Cincy. I wanted to see him make the league and get in the dunk contest so bad. Until I saw Gerald Green chin to the rim last year, White was the most explosive bball leaper I'd ever seen, yes even more explosive than MJ.

But I lost track of him and lost interest after realizing he's just not very good. Unless he improved dramatically over in Europe, he's just a sideshow circus act.

I hope I'm wrong. It looks like Green has polished his game up to become more than just a dunker, so maybe White has done the same...
Good assessment of White. Border line D-Leaguer that had a couple of cups of coffees in the NBA. White has always been a mystery to me, decent outside shot and can knock down the 3, great leaper but average speed with the ball because of his handle and as you say can't create his own shot.

He's 30 now and has kicked around Europe for a few years since his last NBA appearance, I am sure he's gotten better otherwise I don't think the Knicks would have brought him over but I doubt he's better than Landry.