James White > Landry Fields

WeReady

Benchwarmer

tiger0330

Legend
I think we should keep him, 19M 3yr deal is not Stat money. We just gave Novak a 4yr 15M deal and he plays less minutes than Landry does. The Knicks would be paying about 16M in tax if our payroll exceeds the 70M tax threshold by 10M, the Knicks don't care and we could stop looking for a wing.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
really? i thought the guy was gone and already shopping in toronto. unno if i wanna match that. wanna rid ourselves of the bad contracts that doomed us the last decade.

Wargames

Starter
Marc Berman: Source said #Knicks likely to wait the limit on Fields offer sheet.

Frank Isola: The Knicks don't really care about the paying the luxury tax which is why you can see them matching the offer for Landry Fields.

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/tag/new_york_knicks#ixzz20LHDlyLr

Maybe Fields is not gone? Did we already consider him a Raptor?

Michael Grange: Colangelo says #Knicks are "50-50" on matching Fields offer ... #Raptors #NBA Twitter

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

I think we should keep him, 19M 3yr deal is not Stat money. We just gave Novak a 4yr 15M deal and he plays less minutes than Landry does. The Knicks would be paying about 16M in tax if our payroll exceeds the 70M tax threshold by 10M, the Knicks don't care and we could stop looking for a wing.

Homer-Laugh.gif.gif

I mean its a sign of the knicks situation where you have to wonder if it might be easier to keep Landry to grossly overpay him since the Knicks will be stuck anyway, but still this to me sounds like Colangelo praying out loud after he realized how he screwed himself.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
We should not match Fields' deal. He really is not that good. He is a shooting guard who cannot shoot and cannot hit free throws.

Think about it - if we don't match it, we're sticking it to the Raptors. **** them.

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
I pray the Knicks don't match. Don't get me wrong, I like Fields and I wish him the best. I think he got really lucky with the contract he got from Toronto and he should run to the bank with that. As for the Knicks, we can do better for much less, no need to overpay landry for that much. We don't need a scorer in that position, just a solid defender that can make an open shot when it comes through.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Fields

The real question is whether or not other teams would view the Toronto offer as too high. If he were to play as he did last year, Toronto will have overpaid and they will have a bad contract on their hands. However, if he improves his shot substantially and otherwise demonstrates his hustle and basketball IQ, his contract will not be bad and he will perhaps be an asset rather than a liability.

If we were to match Toronto's offer, we would not be able to trade him for some period of time -- I am not sure what that period is, but doubt that it is longer than a year. The first two years of his new contract are not as bad as the last two. If we think Fields is worth the Toronto offer, perhaps we would look to him as possibly a trade chip whenever he could be traded, maybe for a draft pick. Otherwise, with perhaps the exception of White, we will have no disposable assets to trade and we are going to be over the cap anyway. The risk, of course, is substantial luxury tax.

I do not think he is worth what Toronto has offered.

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
We can't fill our rosters with athletes. We need someone who can shoot from the 3 point line and not just Novak. Heat have Ray Allen, Shane Battie, and Chalmers to kick out to when LBJ and D wade drive in.

Wargames

Starter
Homer-Laugh.gif.gif

I mean its a sign of the knicks situation where you have to wonder if it might be easier to keep Landry to grossly overpay him since the Knicks will be stuck anyway, but still this to me sounds like Colangelo praying out loud after he realized how he screwed himself.

Yeah I change my opinion after reading up on the topic online..... The Knicks may have to keep Fields, as bad as this contract is; from a basketball POV keeping fields is the smart move. If the Knicks can't find a good SG from a trade before the 3 day hiatus ends. They may need to keep fields for depth, and to spell JR if he goes shoot crazy. Yeah J Kidd can do that to but Kidd at the 2 isn't how the Knicks would want to look if JR is injured right before the playoffs.

Yeah it's obviously overpaying but unless "flight" kills it in the summer league Fields may be the best SG the Knicks can get for next season and no guarantee they could find an upgrade even after that.

Even if JR is the starter he needs someone to spell him so he doesn't get run into the ground and right now there no guarantees that the Knicks will even be able to get a reliable SG who can do that. Not to mention play heavy minutes if JR was to get injured. Also his 3rd year he would be an 10 expiring and his deal doesn't go past the 2015 expiration date.

So yeah just thought I would share my change in opinion.

Paul1355

All Star
Bump this thread and make fun of me if he doesn't have a better year than the 11-12 Fields.

Metro i agree that James White is prob better than Fields but didnt you say in another trhead that White is not the answer at the 2 guard spot?

Who can we even go after?

I like Jodie Meeks, outside shooter...but not many guys on the market that are legit....we prob have to sign some scrub like Evans or Bogans

Wargames

Starter
Its funny cause young, mayo, brewer, foye, hell even barbosa are all better SG and Landry makes either more money or more years than all of them. But hey the raptors thought they were being smart to **** block the knicks from getting Nash...

Also its cool the knicks were smart enough to get brewer to keep JR from running himself into the ground and not relying on Kidd to be the only backup able to play the 2 guard.

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
I am happy they overpaid him I dont think we get Brewer if Landry is here, hell Corey Brewer is better also we should have used him instead of waiving him.:2cents: