We are WEAK at the SG position

Wargames

Starter
Again if flight is the dude and its Felton/Kidd/Prigoni and JR/White until shump gets back were even dumber then I thought. One injury. ONE. Mind you 2/3 pg are 35+ and ones a NBA rookie(I know hes played alot yadda yadda) add that to the fact we have a career 6 man and a glorofied slam dunk contest participant at the 2. So again ONE INJURY and were ****ed till Iman comes back, and maybe even after that.

Almost every team in the league would be f*cked with an injury to a starter but I agree Kidd was the bad move cause depth could be scrapped together a lot easier for a SG going forward than at point. But as of the moment the real question is can Flight Guard 2.....

CA7

Scoring Champ
Flight can handle 2's easily its the depth behind Melo I'm concerned with Copeland is more of a 4 and Novak cant guard anybody

Felton/Kidd/Prigioni
Smith/White
Anthony/Novak

we need a wing defender at either spot to be honest and we aren't starting Kidd unless its at point, Kidd worked well at the 2 in Dallas because Marion and Chandler were strong defender

Anthony is strong but inconsistent and Stoudemire is a huge ?

Tokie420

Benchwarmer
Almost every team in the league would be f*cked with an injury to a starter but I agree Kidd was the bad move cause depth could be scrapped together a lot easier for a SG going forward than at point. But as of the moment the real question is can Flight Guard 2.....

Heres My thing. Everyone is talking l=about prigoni like its going to be a given that hes a quality backup. We have no idea how his international game is going to translate here. Pg depth is everything. Look at the Bulls last year. Our depth are 2 guys over 35 and ones a rookie in NBA play. Im saying theres not alot of depth. Couple that with only one true NBA 2(Smith) and im not loving our depth in the backcourt. Not one bit.

Wargames

Starter
Heres My thing. Everyone is talking l=about prigoni like its going to be a given that hes a quality backup. We have no idea how his international game is going to translate here. Pg depth is everything. Look at the Bulls last year. Our depth are 2 guys over 35 and ones a rookie in NBA play. Im saying theres not alot of depth. Couple that with only one true NBA 2(Smith) and im not loving our depth in the backcourt. Not one bit.

I agree I said it earlier the Knicks didn't improve their backcourt since twice now having an older player be a major part of that guard rotation led to the team not even having a chance in the playoffs. There was no frighin reason under the Sun to get Kidd unless they were sure they would bring Lin back. Now all they've done is cut their nose to spite their face and end up in the same position.

In theory they would draft a PG this year but like I said I don't trust Grunwald and Dolan to do the smart thing so who knows???

Wargames

Starter
The Knicks were still deliberating their decision in recent days, and there was no better sign of that fact than one of the team-to-team discussions they engaged in over the weekend. New York, according to sources, was considering matching the offer for Lin while also finding a handshake agreement with another team that they could, if they so desired, trade him before the February trade deadline as part of a contingency plan. In those discussions, the Knicks -- whose acquisition of Raymond Felton was the most obvious sign that Lin was on his way out -- had targeted specific point guards with whom they could swap Lin as a way to maintain depth at the position behind Felton and the recently-signed Jason Kidd.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...-rockets-daryl-morey/index.html#ixzz20xGV0vVO

*sigh....

So they are aware of their lack of PG depth and did it anyway...

Motherf*ckers

Kiyaman

Legend
year after year after year we go through the same ole bullshiiiat ....

Starting SG & backup

2005-7 -- QRichardson & Crawful Grade: 23 win season (Marbury)
2007-9 -- WChandler & Nate Grade: 29 win season (Duhon)
2010 ---- Fields & Douglas Grade: C- minus (Felton)
2011----- Fields & Shump Grade: C+ plus (TD/Lin/Bibby/Davis)
2012 ---- JR.Smith & Flight Grade:

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
So as of now who do we have backing up Melo? A question mark in both Chris Copeland and James White? Great.

Great point. We do not have a quality back up for Melo. I'd say slide Novak to the SF position but he's too slow to keep up with the quicker forwards like LeBron, Durant, Iguodala, etc.

JR Smith, when focused, can be that guy. He played LeBron pretty well at times in the playoffs. But if JR is the back up SF, we don't have anyone @ the SG position. :barf:

Brandon Rush is still available. Dude is EXACTLY what we need. He can play as our backup SG-SF, is lights out from three (was 6th in the league last year in three% shooting at .452%), and is young and athletic. The Knicks FO seriously needs to make a strong push at signing this guy.

Brandon Rush is still available. Dude is EXACTLY what we need. He can play as our backup SG-SF, is lights out from three (was 6th in the league last year in three% shooting at .452%), and is young and athletic. The Knicks FO seriously needs to make a strong push at signing this guy.
Mickael Pietrus and Carlos Deflino are solid role players that are also available and can fill the gaping holes we have at backup SG-SF positions. Make some moves Knicks FO! Two unproven "vets" in Copeland-White won't get it done.

Paul1355

All Star
So as of now who do we have backing up Melo? A question mark in both Chris Copeland and James White? Great.

umm Novak? That is fine by me.

White can be 3rd string SG/SF....Copeland can play PF...he plays good defense and can hit an outside shot while having a post up game...average players to fill in minutes...not a big deal.

umm Novak? That is fine by me.

White can be 3rd string SG/SF....Copeland can play PF...he plays good defense and can hit an outside shot while having a post up game...average players to fill in minutes...not a big deal.
Steve Novak is 6'10 and is too slow to guard young athletic SF's like (Lebron, Igodaula, Durant etc). Chris Copeland is an undersized PF, his handles are horrible, he is a fundementally flawed defender with no NBA experience. And James White has looked horrible so far in the Summer League, shooting at a 29 FG% while averaging 6 PPG. There are still plently of guys that we can probably sign for the vet minimum that can spread the floor and play defense such as Brandon Rush, Mickael Pietrus, Carlos Delfino, and Raja Bell.

Paul1355

All Star
Steve Novak is 6'10 and is too slow to guard young athletic SF's like (Lebron, Igodaula, Durant etc). Chris Copeland is an undersized PF, his handles are horrible, he is a fundementally flawed defender with no NBA experience. And James White has looked horrible so far in the Summer League, shooting at a 29 FG% while averaging 6 PPG. There are still plently of guys that we can probably sign for the vet minimum that can spread the floor and play defense such as Brandon Rush, Mickael Pietrus, Carlos Delfino, and Raja Bell.

umm you are forgetting that they are playing with scrubs as teammates. We prob have one of the worst summer league teams.

White showed he can knock down an open shot and take it to the hoop. His defense is good and his passing is under rated.

Copeland has only stood out the past 2 games but he can do it on both ends of the floor, he gets multiple blocks per game and can knock down and open jumper.

I don't see the negativity. And all those guys wont sign for vet min, only Bell and he will most likely go to Miami

Knicks32

Benchwarmer
Why don't we just sign Iverson too? It just seems right up the Knick's strategy of signing vets. Low risk, high reward.

If you give Iverson 10 minutes a game - he will give you heart.
Don't say its attitude. JR Smith/Melo have the same attitude that Iverson had/has too.

skisloper

Starter
Why don't we just sign Iverson too? It just seems right up the Knick's strategy of signing vets. Low risk, high reward.

If you give Iverson 10 minutes a game - he will give you heart.
Don't say its attitude. JR Smith/Melo have the same attitude that Iverson had/has too.

actually Iverson is known to always give 100% all the time,,,,he just a bit nuts...

we do need a SG which makes the whole Lin thing even worse....

I am very much not a fan but based on the line-up we have u need use JR as the starting SG since we have nobody else....

Kiyaman

Legend
Sad management without any BALLS

This Knicks thread conversation on next season SG has dropped from NBA veteran SG to hopeful D.League SG.

A same-page passing PG & SG (backcourt tandem) gives a NBA team a huge edge at winning 50 games in the regular season.
A same-page rebounding center & PF along with a same-page backcourt gives a playoff team a huge edge at making it to the conference finals.

The Knicks actually had the above in the 2011-12 season without any training-camp in players "Lin / Fields & Amare / Tyson" .. why didnt Melo so-call groin-injury keep Melo out as it did the Chicago Bulls Derik Rose?
With Lin at the PG players Shump & Walker found their niche .. we did not need JR.Smith on the Knicks roster (we needed a backup for Lin).

Real Talk .... this thread (indirectly) has turned out to be a financial problem of why? did we invest in Carmelo Anthony when our pot-luck ex-GM Donnie Walsh overpaid Amare Stoudemire (by $3M)????
Amare was only looking for a 5 year Guaranteed contract?

We are not discussing three (co-existin) players willing to renegotiate their contracts to become a top contender team in the NBA .. once the new CBA rule (luxury-tax) go into effect.

Truth be told .. the Knicks shouldve been shopping Carmelo Anthony contract after the poor results in a 5 game first round playoff series.
Knicks management and Orlando management shouldve been looking for 3 more teams to make a 5 team trade involving Melo & Howard.
Im sure the Atlanta Hawks wouldve got involve by adding Joe Johnson into the mix.

Dont get me wrong .. Melo has great scoring talent to be the league top-3 scorers the next 3 seasons .. however Melo not co-existin with his teammates for two seasons as a Knicks, to actually embarrassed the Knicks team in both postseason presence .. 0-4 vs Boston Celtics, and 1-4 vs Miami Heat.
The Knicks shouldve gave up Melo to keep Lin & Fields....u will see me this 2012-13 season selling all my Knicks tickets by the exalator goin up to MSG...

Kiyaman

Legend

Somehow Steve Novak knew how to switch postion quick on the defensive-end to defend C/PF/SF consistantly when we gave 30+ minutes of playingtime to Tyson Chandler, Jefferies, Fields, and Lin-Sanity.
Why is that?
Was it because the Knicks for its first time in a very long time were actually playing "team-defense" covering for each other? instead of the "man to man defense" we started playing under Isiah Thomas.
And please dont ask why Landry Fields will set screens & picks for Novak plus switch off quick to double-team the man Novak or Shump is defending, but never did any of that for Melo & JR.Smith.

How important is Thabo Sefolosha 25 minutes of playingtime, and Serge Ibaka 27 minutes of playingtime are to the OKC Thunder winning record the past two seasons vs top oponents???

Last edited:

finestrg

Rotation player
We may have found that extra 2G we've been looking for -- very quitely I see that the Knicks have brought in Sylven Landesberg for summer league (along with former St Johns SF Justin Brownlee). Didn't see the last SL game against TOR in full, only the end of a replay just now -- and there he was on our bench. Nice addition. The kid can play, man. Was good at UVA for two seasons, went undrafted before eventually going over to Israel for 2 yrs to perfect his craft even further. Immediately ran to the computer to look up the boxscore and I saw that Landesberg not only played but scored 10 pts in 11 mins, leading the team in FT attempts for the game with 7 (2-2 FGs, 6-7 FTs). That's his game--putting it on the floor and getting to the line. Good SG size at 6'6", good length, can handle the ball, effective slasher with an improved J. He can put up points and he plays under control.

Nice young player we could potential add to the mix here. I think pound for pound, he's got more game than Landry Fields. He's been on my short list as far as SG additions go since he went undrafted a couple of summers ago (this is the guy I wanted in that draft over Rautins and Fields)...This guy Copeland looks like he can definitely shoot but he's shaky with the ball, has trouble putting it on the floor and looks like he won't be able to guard most NBA 2s. Landesberg, by comparison, also has a jumper (maybe not quite as pure as Copeland's but more than decent), is a whole lot better off the dribble and should be able to match up defensively with NBA 2s much better than Copeland. Nice pickup. I think he could stick.

Tell you what, post Lin, this roster is beginning to take shape. If Landesberg can make the team, I'd just like to see them add one more legit PF-type with a little offensive ability -- I'd like one more power player to go with Amar'e on that frontline that that can score it (Chandler and Camby are great but they're defensive players first and foremost. As of right now, Amar'e's the only interior offensive player). Nothing crazy, maybe a guy like Darnell Lazare (good in the DL last year), former NC Tar Heel Deon Thompson (who's on Memphis' SL team but hasn't played since 7/17 for some reason) or even Wayne Chism. Gimme one of those guys on the cheap and I'm ready to go to war with this club. What else would we really need?

Last edited:

p0nder

Starter
this is why i think finestrg is the MVP people. not only is he reasonable and not an emotional basketcase like some others, he's done research on our SL roster bench warmers.

Finestrg: you're a keeper.

As for our 2 guard depth J.R. has been a fairly healthy guy and Kidd is about to put in minutes there. Shump should be back in January. So i'm not all that concerned about the 2 spot...

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
35mdugk.jpg