Raymond Felton Traded to the Knicks

Paul1355

All Star
Sorry but I cant go along with that.

Your saying if you were a pro you'd let your agent basically wipe your ass for you?

Lin knew damn well what he was doing when he told Houston to up the offer.

I'll admit Linsanity was cool but it sure as hell aint Max contract after 25 games cool

People forget that Alex Rodriquez's agent Scott Boras almost ruined the Yankees chances of resigning A Rod...Boras wanted more money and years than what the Yankees wanted to pay and A Rod had to negotiate by himself with GM Brian Cashman and Boras was not allowed to be involved in the negotiations because his agent was soo greedy that he forgot what A Rods true interest were which was staaying with the Yanks.

Not saying Lin wanted to be in NY so badly like A Rod did with the Yanks, but his agent could have very well convinced Lin that Knicks would match anyway so just go for it....Lin is a humble guy...still shocked to see his humility take a sudden turn

finestrg

Rotation player
Any word on who the other 2 pieces in this Felton deal are? Looks like Lin's a goner -- this is the what we should be worrying about right now--who else we could squeeze Portland for in this trade...I'd like Diebler but I'D LOVE Will Barton. If I'm Grunwald, I push hard for Will Barton. That kid just needs to put on 10-20 pounds or so...He does that, look out! Very talented 6'6" SG. Reminds me of Jamal Crawford, how he scores the ball...Even their body types are similar (Crawford's always been thin and wirely). A taller/longer Crawford with a higher ceiling. I'll take it...Push it to the limit to see if you can get this kid, Glen. The extra million bucks we still have, any of the 3 Euros we have draft rights to, 2017/2018 2nd round picks, maybe even the next 1st rounder we're able to trade, etc..All on the table in some capacity (obviously not all together)...We ever get Barton back in this deal, I'd feel a lot better about things (esp. losing Lin). I never even discussed Barton around draft time because I figured he was going in the 1st round around 25-29 somewhere and that we had no shot at him...Well, we have a shot at him now..He can play and we could definitely use him. Remember, we don't have to make this Felton deal -- I don't think it's a done deal yet. Physicals need to be taken, contracts need to be signed, etc...Technically, Lin's still an option for us until Tues. at midnight. Explain that to Portland..Try to get Barton outta this!

Last edited:

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Marc Berman ‏@NYPost_Berman
Source says indeed the ‪#Knicks‬ second-round pick Kostas Papanikolaou is part of Felton package.

Wargames

Starter
I'll take the PG's we've got now over bitchboy Lin crying to the Rockets because the Knicks were gonna match their offer

Which one the one out of shape or the old one who is going to have legal issues all year??? Dude if the Rockets want Lin then the knicks should sign him and trade him to the rockets next year??? Make the rockets pay you for being a*sholes. Look at Portland and Batum... dudes are going to make the timberwolves suffer cause they know Kahn has a hard on for Batum. The knicks need to be the same way and get some value from Lin. Even if he is a bitch*ss. Spending the MLE on Kidd was a move made for Lin so the Knicks already made an investment Go all in and get something back for it.

Paul1355

All Star
Source says indeed the ‪#Knicks‬ second-round pick Kostas Papanikolaou is part of Felton package.

makes the draft an epic fail for the Knicks. Kostas was planning on playing next year and his agent confirmed it at the summer league game. Trading 4 players for one starter/6th man and a bench player in thomas? We gave up so many assets for Camby and Felton..tradewise...now we cant do any more sign and trades really.

finestrg

Rotation player

OK, see now I'D HAVE TO GET Will Barton back in this deal. A lot of people are very high on this dude Papanikolaou. None of us know **** about this cat but the Knicks got great draft grades all over the net for selecting him..Apparently he can play and has value/upside. Including him plus the 2nd rounder that we threw in -- gotta get Barton back now. Barton + Diebler would be incredible but I'll settle for Barton alone.

Last edited:

vrgadin

Benchwarmer
Crazy⑧s;242081 said:
Wow......

I'm happy to have 2 former Knicks back, honestly.

Looks like Lin's as good as gone. Another mutineer! Nothing surprises me in the NBA when it comes to cash.

Loyalty is green.

you do realizes what you say here is completely rediculous? and shows you are either a kid or know nothing about bball?

lin signing the rockets offersheet is automatic. thats what any player does and in this type of situation 99% of the time the team the player is with will pick up his option and match. its what they do with contracts in the NBA.

the ball was always in the knicks court and not surprisingly, they blew it for some un FATHOMABLE reason.......maybe they believe building a team around aging wash-ups is a successful strat? GO BROOKLYN NETS!

Oldtimer

Rotation player
This Got Personal

I am not sure what Felton's contract will be in the third year or whether a third or fourth year will even be guaranteed. Frankly I would be suurprised if either year were guaranteed.

Let us assume that Felton's contract is either not guaranteed in the third year or is limited to $3M in that year. This would mean that the difference between his contract and Lin's contract in that year would be either about about $7M or about $10M. I am not sure what the luxury tax on such additional amounts would be, but expect it will be at least dollar for dollar -- at least $7M, perhaps $10M. If Houston had not re-worked the contract, the difference would have been $2M to $5M. But perhaps Felton would not have been signed.

I believe Lin and his agent anticipated that the Knicks would match no matter what. But there is something under-handed about what happened. After the original offer the Knicks went out and committed to three year guaranteed contracts for Kidd and Camby. Kidd would mentor Lin. The Knicks used up at least some of what may have kept them out of or reduced third year luxury taxes. Houston then re-works the offer and Lin signs it, apparently without advising the Knicks of the alterations. I do not believe there is anything in that Bible Lin reads that would justify such conduct.

I do not think Dolan cares so much about the money. Perhaps he has taken it personally. I cannot believe that Lin really wants Houston. Linsanity will not play in Houston. I believe that Lin and his agent have made a monster mistake. Don't mess with Dolan. The Knicks are his toy.

I hope the Knicks match, because I despise Felton as a player. But if Felton's third year is guaranteed, I will be very much surprised if Lin is in New York this coming season. I am betting Lin is not a happy man. He got greedy and will, in the long run, pay a heavy price for the greed.

Last edited:

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
Sorry but I cant go along with that.

Your saying if you were a pro you'd let your agent basically wipe your ass for you?

Lin knew damn well what he was doing when he told Houston to up the offer.

I'll admit Linsanity was cool but it sure as hell aint Max contract after 25 games cool

You are much noble than the rest of us. I'd jump on the highest bidder in a New York minute.

Are you implying that you would take less money to put less strain on Dolan's pocketbook? Seriously dude, you are not that noble to walk away from 25 mil.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Calm down, of course I'd take 25 million.

What im saying is, if a team is dumb enough to offer me a max contract after 25 games played then I hope our team is dumb enough to match it.

NO PLAYER IS WORTH A MAX AFTER BEING CUT TWICE AND ONLY HAVE PLAYED 25 GAMES.

WeReady

Benchwarmer

What im saying is, if a team is dumb enough to offer me a max contract after 25 games played then I hope our team is dumb enough to match it.

and he was in the d-league twice thats chris paul money

Is Jeremy Lin Worth Chris Paul money? I think Not

TakMan

Rotation player
You are much noble than the rest of us. I'd jump on the highest bidder in a New York minute.

Are you implying that you would take less money to put less strain on Dolan's pocketbook? Seriously dude, you are not that noble to walk away from 25 mil.

Some things aren't all about the money. There have been circumstances where players have taken a pay cut in order to increase their chances of winning a championship. I don't think people should consider Lin to be a traitor in any way. He only joined the Knicks as they were the only team to offer him a chance. He would have done the same with any team that provided him this opportunity. At this point it's fairly clear that his priority is to amass as much money as he can. The question is whether the Knicks believe he is worth this much as a player (particularly considering the repercussions re-signing would have on the franchise). To me, three weeks of decent games and over-hyping are not worth this. I'd let him walk. Sure this could come back to haunt us, but to be honest, I doubt he will ever be anything more than a decent PG. If Felton can reach his 2010-11 level, there shouldn't be a problem. I take issue with Felton's defence, but we've established good enough defensive cover to not have to worry about this anymore.

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer

IMO, no NBA player is worth what they are getting but that's what the market would bear. It's all Monopoly money.

I am just saying that removing the financial considerations, NYK should bring back Lin based on the 25-games preview we witnessed last season. I fail to see why we must dismiss that stretch of games and insist that our evaluation of true talent is more accurate than what actually transpired.

If Lin is a fluke, let's find out but not too many PG has walked into MSG and did what Lin pulled off during Linsanity.

To me, facts speak louder than our perception. All the basketball experts on this board cannot dissemble what Lin did. Of course I also find it amusing that all of a sudden everyone was on Dolan's side and calls for fiduciary responsibilities. Are you ****ing kidding me?

portega1968

El Cacique
In addition to Felton and Thomas, who else are we getting? I find it hard to believe we would also get Barton or Diebler... If so, then we would have raped the Blazers cause Jeffries, Gadz and the two greeks are definitely expendable.

tiger0330

Legend
Just reading another nail in the coffin as to why the Knicks won't re-sign Lin. Signing Ray just shot the Knicks into the next rung of luxury tax so if the Knicks signed Lin without Felton in the picture they would owe 28M in tax, with the trade for Felton their tax bill becomes 41.75M. We would be paying Lin 43M without Felton and 57M if we matched after the Felton deal is completed. Maybe the Felton trade blows up, that's the only way the Knicks match Houston.

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/07/15/hamilton-for-knicks-linsanity-may-be-too-expensive/

I was listening to Knicksblogger on ESPN radio and he said Lin's floor was Raymond Felton and his ceiling was much higher, said Felton's numbers were skewed the year he was here because he had one great month. I agree with him despite Lin's 25 game resume, you can see he has the skills, teams project players upside all the time in the draft and he's not getting superstar money, the Rox just backloaded his contract to keep us from matching. 8M/3yr deal on average is not superstar money nor a horrible contract luxury tax not withstanding.

Last edited: