Raymond Felton Traded to the Knicks

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Some of you guys are crazy, i'd rather have Felton than Lin at that price.You guys act like Lin is that dude, i'm not paying a project max money.

I'm also not letting an asset walk for absolutely nothing. If the offer was that ridiculous $40M that was reported way back when...yea alright, I'd let him go, cause at that price point, he's more of a liability than an asset.

But this deal? That is essentially free money to sign a player (from a cap standpoint) WHY. NOT?

If we didn't have his Bird Rights, and it's immediately affecting the cap...I'd be with you, but ****....without Lin, our PGs are Kidd and Felton... I'll take a chance on Lin if that's what we have counting against the cap moving forward....the drawback is what exactly? The fact that we don't know that Lin is "that dude" right now?

So? Other than a really interesting conversation piece, what the hell does that have to do with anything?

mafra

Legend
We all know Dolan's ego.

LIN was signed to an offer sheet by HOU. Knicks told LIN personally they would match it. LIN then went & relayed that intel to HOU; then flew out to LV to meet with HOU & redo the contract.

His career in NY ended right there.

Word reached Knicks that HOU was sending over a re-worked offer sheet. Grunwald avoided the messenger, buying time while they reached out to Felton to see if that door was still open. It took HOU almost 36 hours to deliver new offer sheet.

LIN played in 26 games. Has a knee injury. Wont benefit from D'antoni's offense. And he was exposed by MIA. Knicks have to build themsevles to beat BOS & MIA this season. LIN will not help them do this.

LIN is nice, but giving Jeremy 15 mil in year-3 is insanity. You know what LIN is in HOU? Kyle Lowry. What?

Yeah, Lowry was fantastic the first half of last season... but he barely made a sound down South. NY made LIN. He didn't make NY.

There's a chance LIN is legit, and he blooms into a true all-star PG. But NYK isn't in the position to take chances. I would prefer Felton, Kurt Thomas plus a Grant Hill (or some SG) over just adding LIN.

NYK is all-in to win this 2012-2013 season. I think it's best to let LIN go.

JaYnYcE

Benchwarmer
They will match the Lin offer......There is zero reason not to ...both from a Bball situation and business situation.....
Spanish dude
Kidd
Felton

U have no other true guards on the team......Do not include Shump as he is missing the first 1/3 rd of the season.......If Kidd gets hurt we are dead...so Lin is a must....
Plus a great trading trip to any team looking to fill an arena if Lin plays half as well as he did in those 7 games....

Dolan cannot be this stupid not to sign him..........

You forgot J.R. Smith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tiger0330

Legend
I have not heard one source other than Knicks fans that think Lin will be re-signed after signing Felton.

Jared Jeffries, Tyson, Steven A all think Lin will not play for the Knicks.

Lin is shocked according to his HS coach that the Knicks made this move, thought the Knicks were going to match any offer. I would think that the Knicks would have been in communication with him if they intended to re-sign him telling him not to worry about the Felton signing affecting their long term plans for him.

And the arguments that Lin's jersey sales and marketing deals will or should be a factor are nonsense. Estimates for the luxury tax and salary for re-signing Lin are between 30-45M dollars in the final year of his contract. No way Lin sells that many jerseys or brings in that kind of money for the Knicks.

Face it he's gone. Anybody want to buy my brand new Lin road jersey for cheap.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Alan Hahn
So what made the Knicks stance in matching Jeremy Lin's offer sheet change in the span of 24 hours? Raymond Felton. He wanted to come back to New York (never wanted to leave) and his availability, and much cheaper cost, gave Knicks reason to reconsider matching Lin's massive contract. Felton is 28, hardly old, but has had conditioning issues which is something Woodson has already made clear to players already on the roter that he will not tolerate on the first day of training camp. Felton's toughness, experience and ability to run the point are factors that point to the win-now mentality.
Felton loves it here and he'll come into camp extremely motivated and in the best shape of his life.

Raymond Felton is coming here to fight for us and some of you pusserella lovers need to see that

Last edited by a moderator:

Wargames

Starter
Smh man I will give the Knicks the benefit of the doubt on this move being basketball related. But if any idiot starts talking about this being for CP3 or win now move bull**** (*Alan Hahn) I'm gonna call you out for being full of it.

This sounds like some backroom deal pettiness....

Felton isn't better than Lin and WTF did the knicks sign Kidd to 3 million to then do this move. I mean sh*t we're going to go all in with an out of shape PG who sucked it up during a contract year and 2 35+ plus age PG..... Yeah that sounds lovely.

Last edited:

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
If what has been reported about Lin getting a big head, being ungrateful for opportunity Knicks gave him and sitting out against Miami when he could have given us a few mins a game are all true than I say F*ck Lin he can walk.

I think Felton will return to form and be motivated to get in shape and play like the bulldog he was when he was first with the Knicks. Also big Kurt Thomas fan, even though he is alot older than his first stint with us, think he will make a positive impact on the team as well.

I gotta be honest though, I really liked what Jeffries brought to the team, love the hustle and willingness to take the charge in the paint...... wish we could of kept him.

Sent from my LG-P999

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Smh man I will give the Knicks the benefit of the doubt on this move being basketball related. But if any idiot starts talking about this being for CP3 or win now move bull**** (*Alan Hahn) I'm gonna call you out for being full of it.

This sounds like some backroom deal pettiness....

Felton isn't better than Lin and WTF did the knicks sign Kidd to 3 million to then do this move. I mean sh*t we're going to go all in with an out of shape PG who sucked it up during a contract year and 2 35+ plus age PG..... Yeah that sounds lovely.
I'll take the PG's we've got now over bitchboy Lin crying to the Rockets because the Knicks were gonna match their offer

WeReady

Benchwarmer
Marc Berman
Also in Basketball
One of things you learn in covering #Knicks is you don't cross owner James Dolan. He is a very loyal guy but when disloyalty is shown, you are done with him. That may very well be case here with Jeremy Lin. It wasn't just the money, which was obscene in third year. As we have reported last couple of days, the renegotiation of an offer sheet that was agreed upon and leaked to press - after Woodson publicly said they'd match and he'd be starter - was a kick in gut to organization.

Everyone saying that Dolan will match is crazy just like everyone was certain that walsh was getting a contract extension right? how well did that work out for him

I was rooting for Lin to come back and have a fantastic season however, that was a underhanded move he pulled Linsanity is over not because of the Knicks but because of Lin. I understand the position to get the most money you can while you can. 4 years 28.8 was not a bad deal but that move he pulled was shady as hell. I wish him the best of luck in Houston

Now with the roster we have moving forward and melo claiming CP3 is coming to new york in a couple of years i think felton's contract is feasible to move in a trade along with iman shumpert and whatever expiring vet contracts we have but i still don't think that is enough in a S&T after next season

Lastly our team is going to be slow as hell next season the only youth we have is iman shumpert and woodson is not one from speeding up the pace so get ready for so old-schooled slobber knocker 88 point game iso-heavy grinding for every single point basketball:boohoo:

At least Lin was exciting to watch:thumbsup:

STAT1

Starter
We all know Dolan's ego.

LIN was signed to an offer sheet by HOU. Knicks told LIN personally they would match it. LIN then went & relayed that intel to HOU; then flew out to LV to meet with HOU & redo the contract.

His career in NY ended right there.

Agreed, I think that's exactly how it played out. Disappointed in how everything came to his point & think it was a huge mistake on Lin's part to have reworked that offer sheet to now end up back in Houston. The few extra million he's going to earn on his deal now will not benefit him nearly as much as having the global notoriety & exposure of playing in NYC will. Linsanity in Houston is not gonna be what it was at MSG.

skisloper

Starter
This is a downright stupid ass move for the Knicks to let LIN walk....
Who gives a crap what his agent puled or he pulled....
He showed potential last year and worth 5 million if felton is worth 3 million...
I am sure if we win with this team in the next 3 years nobody will care about the luxury tax...
and if year 2 it looks like we are going no where we will have 4 huge contracts expiring that a team will trade for....

this is pure stupidity....

STAT1

Starter
And the arguments that Lin's jersey sales and marketing deals will or should be a factor are nonsense. Estimates for the luxury tax and salary for re-signing Lin are between 30-45M dollars in the final year of his contract. No way Lin sells that many jerseys or brings in that kind of money for the Knicks.

Over a 3 year span you don't think the Knicks would generate enough international & domestic marketing interest & additional sales of team merchandise & ticket sales to match the $40M in total combined salary & luxury tax over the 3 year span of his deal? We're talking about what is essentially a net worth of ~$13M per year to the franchise, both in performance & in his marketing appeal globally. I'm not an expert on finance or econ but I have a hard time believing that if Lin were to perform on the level that he did last season overall, that the Knicks wouldn't be able to recoup that kind of investment with international marketing opportunities in Taiwan, China & all the other Asian countries who already consider this kid to be an icon, not to mention all the fans in the US market who have invested heavily into buying up all the Linsanity shirts, caps & jerseys at all the sporting goods stores.

Let's remember that Lin's jersey was among the top selling jerseys in the NBA last year after he busted out. Also let's consider how much Jeremy Lin stood to gain by staying in the world's largest market. Somehow I don't see the same types of corporations coming after him for marketing opps playing in Houston as I would if he were doing it in NYC. I'm pretty sure Kobe Bryant wouldn't be earning the same dollars he's earning on his Nike sneaker deal if he were playing in Charlotte for instance. All throughout the Lebron chase, all we kept hearing about was the added $40M dollar deal that Nike was prepared to invest if he ended up in NYC that summer, & that's not even counting any of the jersey & ticket sales that he would have generated.

So in terms of dollars on paper, Lin may have signed himself a more lucrative deal, but in the long run I think he loses out over what he would have gained if he'd signed the original offer sheet & the Knicks matched like they were planning on doing. & I think the Knicks lose out on the marketing opportunities that Linsanity afforded them all last season. The Knicks were the hottest topic in the game & their games became must see television with Linsanity. Now both sides lose out. It's a shame it had to come to this.

CoolClyde

Linstupidity

all this talk about Lin getting a big head, going behind the Knicks' FO backs and telling Houston the Knicks were going to sign him, leading Houston to offer a bigger year 3 contractual poison pill... is bullsh*t.

Lin has an agent, Lin doesn't tell secrets about something the entire NBA community has been saying all along, including head coach Wood son.

stop blaming Lin, his agent is doing all the talking and negotiating to get his client more money and better commission for himself.

whether the Knicks sign Lin or not at this point is pure speculation, so until Tues night, 11:59, you really shouldn't point fingers at Jeremy Lin, just be thankful he was there when he was, created Linsanity, and wish him the best, no matter what happens.

I hope we match.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
all this talk about Lin getting a big head, going behind the Knicks' FO backs and telling Houston the Knicks were going to sign him, leading Houston to offer a bigger year 3 contractual poison pill... is bullsh*t.

Lin has an agent, Lin doesn't tell secrets about something the entire NBA community has been saying all along, including head coach Wood son.

stop blaming Lin, his agent is doing all the talking and negotiating to get his client more money and better commission for himself.

whether the Knicks sign Lin or not at this point is pure speculation, so until Tues night, 11:59, you really shouldn't point fingers at Jeremy Lin, just be thankful he was there when he was, created Linsanity, and wish him the best, no matter what happens.

I hope we match.
Sorry but I cant go along with that.

Your saying if you were a pro you'd let your agent basically wipe your ass for you?

Lin knew damn well what he was doing when he told Houston to up the offer.

I'll admit Linsanity was cool but it sure as hell aint Max contract after 25 games cool

WeReady

Benchwarmer
Over a 3 year span you don't think the Knicks would generate enough international & domestic marketing interest & additional sales of team merchandise & ticket sales to match the $40M in total combined salary & luxury tax over the 3 year span of his deal? We're talking about what is essentially a net worth of ~$13M per year to the franchise, both in performance & in his marketing appeal globally. I'm not an expert on finance or econ but I have a hard time believing that if Lin were to perform on the level that he did last season overall, that the Knicks wouldn't be able to recoup that kind of investment with international marketing opportunities in Taiwan, China & all the other Asian countries who already consider this kid to be an icon, not to mention all the fans in the US market who have invested heavily into buying up all the Linsanity shirts, caps & jerseys at all the sporting goods stores.

Let's remember that Lin's jersey was among the top selling jerseys in the NBA last year after he busted out. Also let's consider how much Jeremy Lin stood to gain by staying in the world's largest market. Somehow I don't see the same types of corporations coming after him for marketing opps playing in Houston as I would if he were doing it in NYC. I'm pretty sure Kobe Bryant wouldn't be earning the same dollars he's earning on his Nike sneaker deal if he were playing in Charlotte for instance. All throughout the Lebron chase, all we kept hearing about was the added $40M dollar deal that Nike was prepared to invest if he ended up in NYC that summer, & that's not even counting any of the jersey & ticket sales that he would have generated.

This is a what have you done for me lately league Knicks still make jersey sales on Melo and STAT
So in terms of dollars on paper, Lin may have signed himself a more lucrative deal, but in the long run I think he loses out over what he would have gained if he'd signed the original offer sheet & the Knicks matched like they were planning on doing. & I think the Knicks lose out on the marketing opportunities that Linsanity afforded them all last season. The Knicks were the hottest topic in the game & their games became must see television with Linsanity. Now both sides lose out. It's a shame it had to come to this.
What you seem to lose out on is JEREMY LIN SCREWED JEREMY LIN (vince mcmahon voice) The moment he went back to Vegas he sealed his fate he didn't want to be on the knicks so Bon Voyage wish you good luck in your future endeavors. IN NO WAY IS THIS THE KNICKS FAULT And so long as the conversation as shifted from WHEN WILL THE KING GET HIS RING to IT IS TIME CARMELO STEPS UP GET OUT OF THE FIRST ROUND AND GET HIS RING BECAUSE HE IS GETTING PASSED OVER BY HIS PEERS there will never be a shortage of story lines next year