Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Raymond Felton Traded to the Knicks

Veteran

This is a downright stupid ass move for the Knicks to let LIN walk....
    Who gives a crap what his agent puled or he pulled....
    He showed potential last year and worth 5 million if felton is worth 3 million...
    I am sure if we win with this team in the next 3 years nobody will care about the luxury tax...
    and if year 2 it looks like we are going no where we will have 4 huge contracts expiring that a team will trade for....

this is pure stupidity....

Originally Posted by tiger0330
    And the arguments that Lin's jersey sales and marketing deals will or should be a factor are nonsense. Estimates for the luxury tax and salary for re-signing Lin are between 30-45M dollars in the final year of his contract. No way Lin sells that many jerseys or brings in that kind of money for the Knicks.
    Over a 3 year span you don't think the Knicks would generate enough international & domestic marketing interest & additional sales of team merchandise & ticket sales to match the $40M in total combined salary & luxury tax over the 3 year span of his deal? We're talking about what is essentially a net worth of ~$13M per year to the franchise, both in performance & in his marketing appeal globally. I'm not an expert on finance or econ but I have a hard time believing that if Lin were to perform on the level that he did last season overall, that the Knicks wouldn't be able to recoup that kind of investment with international marketing opportunities in Taiwan, China & all the other Asian countries who already consider this kid to be an icon, not to mention all the fans in the US market who have invested heavily into buying up all the Linsanity shirts, caps & jerseys at all the sporting goods stores.

Let's remember that Lin's jersey was among the top selling jerseys in the NBA last year after he busted out. Also let's consider how much Jeremy Lin stood to gain by staying in the world's largest market. Somehow I don't see the same types of corporations coming after him for marketing opps playing in Houston as I would if he were doing it in NYC. I'm pretty sure Kobe Bryant wouldn't be earning the same dollars he's earning on his Nike sneaker deal if he were playing in Charlotte for instance. All throughout the Lebron chase, all we kept hearing about was the added $40M dollar deal that Nike was prepared to invest if he ended up in NYC that summer, & that's not even counting any of the jersey & ticket sales that he would have generated.

So in terms of dollars on paper, Lin may have signed himself a more lucrative deal, but in the long run I think he loses out over what he would have gained if he'd signed the original offer sheet & the Knicks matched like they were planning on doing. & I think the Knicks lose out on the marketing opportunities that Linsanity afforded them all last season. The Knicks were the hottest topic in the game & their games became must see television with Linsanity. Now both sides lose out. It's a shame it had to come to this.

Default Linstupidity

all this talk about Lin getting a big head, going behind the Knicks' FO backs and telling Houston the Knicks were going to sign him, leading Houston to offer a bigger year 3 contractual poison pill... is bullsh*t.

Lin has an agent, Lin doesn't tell secrets about something the entire NBA community has been saying all along, including head coach Wood son.

stop blaming Lin, his agent is doing all the talking and negotiating to get his client more money and better commission for himself.

whether the Knicks sign Lin or not at this point is pure speculation, so until Tues night, 11:59, you really shouldn't point fingers at Jeremy Lin, just be thankful he was there when he was, created Linsanity, and wish him the best, no matter what happens.

I hope we match.

Originally Posted by CoolClyde
    all this talk about Lin getting a big head, going behind the Knicks' FO backs and telling Houston the Knicks were going to sign him, leading Houston to offer a bigger year 3 contractual poison pill... is bullsh*t.

Lin has an agent, Lin doesn't tell secrets about something the entire NBA community has been saying all along, including head coach Wood son.

stop blaming Lin, his agent is doing all the talking and negotiating to get his client more money and better commission for himself.

whether the Knicks sign Lin or not at this point is pure speculation, so until Tues night, 11:59, you really shouldn't point fingers at Jeremy Lin, just be thankful he was there when he was, created Linsanity, and wish him the best, no matter what happens.

I hope we match.
    Sorry but I cant go along with that.

Your saying if you were a pro you'd let your agent basically wipe your ass for you?

Lin knew damn well what he was doing when he told Houston to up the offer.

I'll admit Linsanity was cool but it sure as hell aint Max contract after 25 games cool

Originally Posted by STAT1
    Over a 3 year span you don't think the Knicks would generate enough international & domestic marketing interest & additional sales of team merchandise & ticket sales to match the $40M in total combined salary & luxury tax over the 3 year span of his deal? We're talking about what is essentially a net worth of ~$13M per year to the franchise, both in performance & in his marketing appeal globally. I'm not an expert on finance or econ but I have a hard time believing that if Lin were to perform on the level that he did last season overall, that the Knicks wouldn't be able to recoup that kind of investment with international marketing opportunities in Taiwan, China & all the other Asian countries who already consider this kid to be an icon, not to mention all the fans in the US market who have invested heavily into buying up all the Linsanity shirts, caps & jerseys at all the sporting goods stores.

Let's remember that Lin's jersey was among the top selling jerseys in the NBA last year after he busted out. Also let's consider how much Jeremy Lin stood to gain by staying in the world's largest market. Somehow I don't see the same types of corporations coming after him for marketing opps playing in Houston as I would if he were doing it in NYC. I'm pretty sure Kobe Bryant wouldn't be earning the same dollars he's earning on his Nike sneaker deal if he were playing in Charlotte for instance. All throughout the Lebron chase, all we kept hearing about was the added $40M dollar deal that Nike was prepared to invest if he ended up in NYC that summer, & that's not even counting any of the jersey & ticket sales that he would have generated.
    This is a what have you done for me lately league Knicks still make jersey sales on Melo and STAT
    So in terms of dollars on paper, Lin may have signed himself a more lucrative deal, but in the long run I think he loses out over what he would have gained if he'd signed the original offer sheet & the Knicks matched like they were planning on doing. & I think the Knicks lose out on the marketing opportunities that Linsanity afforded them all last season. The Knicks were the hottest topic in the game & their games became must see television with Linsanity. Now both sides lose out. It's a shame it had to come to this.
    What you seem to lose out on is JEREMY LIN SCREWED JEREMY LIN (vince mcmahon voice) The moment he went back to Vegas he sealed his fate he didn't want to be on the knicks so Bon Voyage wish you good luck in your future endeavors. IN NO WAY IS THIS THE KNICKS FAULT And so long as the conversation as shifted from WHEN WILL THE KING GET HIS RING to IT IS TIME CARMELO STEPS UP GET OUT OF THE FIRST ROUND AND GET HIS RING BECAUSE HE IS GETTING PASSED OVER BY HIS PEERS there will never be a shortage of story lines next year

Alan Hahn is going off on jeremy Lin on espn radio right now

Originally Posted by NY17KNICKS
    Sorry but I cant go along with that.

Your saying if you were a pro you'd let your agent basically wipe your ass for you?

Lin knew damn well what he was doing when he told Houston to up the offer.

I'll admit Linsanity was cool but it sure as hell aint Max contract after 25 games cool
    People forget that Alex Rodriquez's agent Scott Boras almost ruined the Yankees chances of resigning A Rod...Boras wanted more money and years than what the Yankees wanted to pay and A Rod had to negotiate by himself with GM Brian Cashman and Boras was not allowed to be involved in the negotiations because his agent was soo greedy that he forgot what A Rods true interest were which was staaying with the Yanks.

Not saying Lin wanted to be in NY so badly like A Rod did with the Yanks, but his agent could have very well convinced Lin that Knicks would match anyway so just go for it....Lin is a humble guy...still shocked to see his humility take a sudden turn

Originally Posted by WeReady
    Alan Hahn is going off on jeremy Lin on espn radio right now
    Stephen A. Smith is too

lol what are they saying?

Originally Posted by blahwoop
    lol what are they saying?
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Tune in bro, but basically he's basically saying LIN ain't sh*t and we wont miss him in New York etc etc he talks alot lol to much to type but he's still on

Superstar

Any word on who the other 2 pieces in this Felton deal are? Looks like Lin's a goner -- this is the what we should be worrying about right now--who else we could squeeze Portland for in this trade...I'd like Diebler but I'D LOVE Will Barton. If I'm Grunwald, I push hard for Will Barton. That kid just needs to put on 10-20 pounds or so...He does that, look out! Very talented 6'6" SG. Reminds me of Jamal Crawford, how he scores the ball...Even their body types are similar (Crawford's always been thin and wirely). A taller/longer Crawford with a higher ceiling. I'll take it...Push it to the limit to see if you can get this kid, Glen. The extra million bucks we still have, any of the 3 Euros we have draft rights to, 2017/2018 2nd round picks, maybe even the next 1st rounder we're able to trade, etc..All on the table in some capacity (obviously not all together)...We ever get Barton back in this deal, I'd feel a lot better about things (esp. losing Lin). I never even discussed Barton around draft time because I figured he was going in the 1st round around 25-29 somewhere and that we had no shot at him...Well, we have a shot at him now..He can play and we could definitely use him. Remember, we don't have to make this Felton deal -- I don't think it's a done deal yet. Physicals need to be taken, contracts need to be signed, etc...Technically, Lin's still an option for us until Tues. at midnight. Explain that to Portland..Try to get Barton outta this!
    Last edited by finestrg; Jul 15, 2012 at 13:29.

Marc Berman ‏@NYPost_Berman
    Source says indeed the ‪#Knicks‬ second-round pick Kostas Papanikolaou is part of Felton package.

Originally Posted by NY17KNICKS
    I'll take the PG's we've got now over bitchboy Lin crying to the Rockets because the Knicks were gonna match their offer
    Which one the one out of shape or the old one who is going to have legal issues all year??? Dude if the Rockets want Lin then the knicks should sign him and trade him to the rockets next year??? Make the rockets pay you for being a*sholes. Look at Portland and Batum... dudes are going to make the timberwolves suffer cause they know Kahn has a hard on for Batum. The knicks need to be the same way and get some value from Lin. Even if he is a bitch*ss. Spending the MLE on Kidd was a move made for Lin so the Knicks already made an investment Go all in and get something back for it.

Originally Posted by Almost_famous718
    Source says indeed the ‪#Knicks‬ second-round pick Kostas Papanikolaou is part of Felton package.
    makes the draft an epic fail for the Knicks. Kostas was planning on playing next year and his agent confirmed it at the summer league game. Trading 4 players for one starter/6th man and a bench player in thomas? We gave up so many assets for Camby and Felton..tradewise...now we cant do any more sign and trades really.

Superstar

Originally Posted by Almost_famous718
    OK, see now I'D HAVE TO GET Will Barton back in this deal. A lot of people are very high on this dude Papanikolaou. None of us know **** about this cat but the Knicks got great draft grades all over the net for selecting him..Apparently he can play and has value/upside. Including him plus the 2nd rounder that we threw in -- gotta get Barton back now. Barton + Diebler would be incredible but I'll settle for Barton alone.
    Last edited by finestrg; Jul 15, 2012 at 14:08.