Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 177

Thread: Why so much hate for Carmelo?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member Shaunyboy23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    128
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Why so much hate for Carmelo?

    In closely following this forum, in almost EVERY thread someone bashes Carmelo, often multiple people, and I just can't wrap my mind around why. So many people are avid Lin supporters. Don't get me wrong, I love Lin and appreciate the Linsanity stretch he had in which he carried us, but if you're going to jump on a guy's bandwagon because he led us for a few weeks when Melo and Amare were hurt, why bash and blame Melo for all of our problems when he carried us in crunch time when Lin and Amare were hurt to get us into the playoffs. He bought in and played defense, which is what we all begged of him. He shared the ball, even gave more of an effort on the boards. He was the best player in the league for the last month, when we needed it most to make the playoffs. He made his teammates better and created for them, Novak can't create his own shot and we didn't have a true PG, who do you think got him open shots? Melo's triple-double against Boston was a fantastic and clutch performance. I'm just baffled as to why so many people blame and hate our team's best player, especially at a time where he's shown such commitment. Losing weight, working hard and saying all the right things. "It's my time, no more excuses" If anything we should be rallying around Carmelo at this point, because he seems to be in for quite a season and it's something we should all be excited for.

  2. #2
    Veteran StEpHoN_mArBuRy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Queenz
    Posts
    3,086
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    You think its bad here go on other forums... The only way Melo fixes this is by winning..

  3. #3
    Member Shaunyboy23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    128
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I agree, he needs to win. But my problem is that Lin hasn't won anything either. Melo is now doing what it takes to win and it seems everyone is ignoring that. He can't do it alone. When Lin was working out people were saying "Oh good look at his work ethic" Melo is on a GRIND this offseason and still being bashed. At least give him a chance to screw up before pitting him as the root of all Knick evils

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,054
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by Shaunyboy23
    I agree, he needs to win. But my problem is that Lin hasn't won anything either. Melo is now doing what it takes to win and it seems everyone is ignoring that. He can't do it alone. When Lin was working out people were saying "Oh good look at his work ethic" Melo is on a GRIND this offseason and still being bashed. At least give him a chance to screw up before pitting him as the root of all Knick evils
    Hmmmm let's see: Carmelo Anthony legit superstar by all accounts and leading USA team being praised by coach K as one of the best. But on KO.Com many members call him "fat and lazy.". Hmmmmm. Did I mention Carmelo is of African decent? Meanwhile enter Jeremy Lin: unproven rookie of Asian decent who played in 25 games, than skipped the end of the season and the "playoff", albeit due to injury, is praised for his "work ethic????". Hmmm: Can you say double-standard? I better not say anymore because with our current mod-squad I am getting banned for this post

  5. #5
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    962
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    It's pretty obvious why people hate Carmelo. A lot of people hate watching Isolation basketball, and his lazy defense even though he has the ability to lock down people.

    I think Melo is a great player that currently doesn't fit this team. He would make any defensive team with trouble scoring contenders like the Sixers. I agree that Lin fits more with Amare and Chandler so if we get rid of Lin, we might as well start finding ways to dump Amare as well.

  6. #6
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    962
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Melo's no superstar. He's the most versataile scorer in the league. You can't consider anyone a superstar who can only dominate one side of the court.

  7. #7
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,488
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Originally Posted by jimkcchief88
    Hmmmm let's see: Carmelo Anthony legit superstar by all accounts and leading USA team being praised by coach K as one of the best. But on KO.Com many members call him "fat and lazy.". Hmmmmm. Did I mention Carmelo is of African decent? Meanwhile enter Jeremy Lin: unproven rookie of Asian decent who played in 25 games, than skipped the end of the season and the "playoff", albeit due to injury, is praised for his "work ethic????". Hmmm: Can you say double-standard? I better not say anymore because with our current mod-squad I am getting banned for this post
    You won't get banned, Jim. It's a shame that you have to pull the card so often, but we all have our little obsessions, I suppose.

    Rady will make the call on any ban. If I can speak on his behalf, I'm sure he'd prefer that you leave any racially fueled frustration/assumptions/whatever for boards where it's actually relevant in some way. Provocation on the internet really isn't very cool.

    If you wouldn't mind.

  8. #8
    Member Shaunyboy23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    128
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by jimkcchief88
    Hmmmm let's see: Carmelo Anthony legit superstar by all accounts and leading USA team being praised by coach K as one of the best. But on KO.Com many members call him "fat and lazy.". Hmmmmm. Did I mention Carmelo is of African decent? Meanwhile enter Jeremy Lin: unproven rookie of Asian decent who played in 25 games, than skipped the end of the season and the "playoff", albeit due to injury, is praised for his "work ethic????". Hmmm: Can you say double-standard? I better not say anymore because with our current mod-squad I am getting banned for this post
    I don't agree that the problem is racial. But if you take the race card claims out then you have a very valid argument and my sentiments exactly.

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,792
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by jimkcchief88
    Hmmmm let's see: Carmelo Anthony legit superstar by all accounts and leading USA team being praised by coach K as one of the best. But on KO.Com many members call him "fat and lazy.". Hmmmmm. Did I mention Carmelo is of African decent? Meanwhile enter Jeremy Lin: unproven rookie of Asian decent who played in 25 games, than skipped the end of the season and the "playoff", albeit due to injury, is praised for his "work ethic????". Hmmm: Can you say double-standard? I better not say anymore because with our current mod-squad I am getting banned for this post
    Yes, it's totally about race. It's not because Carmelo is getting paid the max salary, it's not because Carmelo went on and on about how NY was the best place for him, it's not because Carmelo forced a trade to NY, it's not about how Carmelo made NY give up pieces to get him because he wanted his extra 5 million dollars, and it's not about the fact that Carmelo was visibly out of shape during the season. And what the Knicks fans were saying about Lin? It's not because he worked his way to the league when nobody gave him a chance, it's not because he's shown dedication to constantly improving his skillset on the court, it's not because he's a humble guy who's always looking for ways to get better, it's not because he was the first at practice and the last to leave even when he was sitting in D'Antoni's doghouse...

    No, it's all about the color of their skin, right? How disgusting of you to say.

  10. #10
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,488
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    Yes, it's totally about race. It's not because Carmelo is getting paid the max salary, it's not because Carmelo went on and on about how NY was the best place for him, it's not because Carmelo forced a trade to NY, it's not about how Carmelo made NY give up pieces to get him because he wanted his extra 5 million dollars, and it's not about the fact that Carmelo was visibly out of shape during the season. And what the Knicks fans were saying about Lin? It's not because he worked his way to the league when nobody gave him a chance, it's not because he's shown dedication to constantly improving his skillset on the court, it's not because he's a humble guy who's always looking for ways to get better, it's not because he was the first at practice and the last to leave even when he was sitting in D'Antoni's doghouse...

    No, it's all about the color of their skin, right? How disgusting of you to say.
    Perfectly put, but.....


  11. #11
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,484
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by Shaunyboy23
    In closely following this forum, in almost EVERY thread someone bashes Carmelo, often multiple people, and I just can't wrap my mind around why. So many people are avid Lin supporters. Don't get me wrong, I love Lin and appreciate the Linsanity stretch he had in which he carried us, but if you're going to jump on a guy's bandwagon because he led us for a few weeks when Melo and Amare were hurt, why bash and blame Melo for all of our problems when he carried us in crunch time when Lin and Amare were hurt to get us into the playoffs. He bought in and played defense, which is what we all begged of him. He shared the ball, even gave more of an effort on the boards. He was the best player in the league for the last month, when we needed it most to make the playoffs. He made his teammates better and created for them, Novak can't create his own shot and we didn't have a true PG, who do you think got him open shots? Melo's triple-double against Boston was a fantastic and clutch performance. I'm just baffled as to why so many people blame and hate our team's best player, especially at a time where he's shown such commitment. Losing weight, working hard and saying all the right things. "It's my time, no more excuses" If anything we should be rallying around Carmelo at this point, because he seems to be in for quite a season and it's something we should all be excited for.
    I believe Melo has never had a fantastic team that he fits in. Denver with Billups was a good team but honestly the only offensive threats were him and Billups. Put Melo on the Heat with Wade and Bosh or Lebron and Bosh and they still win the championship in my opinion.

    This guy is a multiple all star that has started in all star games and is even a starter for team USA over Kevin Durant. He is a legit star whether some think he is over rated.

    NOW...Melo has been known to say dumb things through the media...example would be calling Lin's contract ridiculous...he was most likely talking about Rockets management however as the star player you have to keep your mouth shut. SHUT! But he doesn't so people can judge him.

    Melo also has a type of game that requires him to have to have the ball in his hands and do his moves and isolation plays while not being a point forward like Lebron so he is really on helping himself when he goes iso.

    Now I believe if he had a good PG that can orchestrate, outside shooters, and a decent big man then sky is the limit.

    It is really al about Amare and how Amare fits since Melo is simply better. Melo gets flack because people expect him to be Lebron and he just is not.

    Melo is a type of Kevin Durant, he is a pure shooter and probably one of the best shooters in the NBA and most clutch.

    Melo needs stability, vet players, a good PG, a good big man...the usual.

    I believe people expect too much from him on defense and passing. Maybe because he shows glimpses of great passing and defense and it looks like Melo just feels like improving those aspects of his game when he FEELS like it. When he should be goodon defense and rebounding every game because the ability is there.

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,270
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    A new winning attitude and hunger can do good things for you. He lost some weight, he's staying competitive by playing ball thru the summer, and has a coach that will actually push him into reaching his potential. I'm sure Lebron, Kobe, Wade and others will be a motivator if there wasn't any to begin with. Melo is not going to sit back relaxed while most of his BBall friends floss their bling while telling their stories on how the experience felt. I think Melo will play hungry this year.

  13. #13
    Member LINvincible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    113
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by Real NY Baller
    A new winning attitude and hunger can do good things for you. He lost some weight, he's staying competitive by playing ball thru the summer, and has a coach that will actually push him into reaching his potential. I'm sure Lebron, Kobe, Wade and others will be a motivator if there wasn't any to begin with. Melo is not going to sit back relaxed while most of his BBall friends floss their bling while telling their stories on how the experience felt. I think Melo will play hungry this year.
    Did you just mention Melo with Hungry in the same sentence.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,968
    Rep Power
    18

    Angry

    Be lucky Im not the GM .... Melo would be traded while playing on the USA Team.

    Lin/Fields/Novak were suppose to be resigned .. JR givin walkin papers if no team want a sign n trade for his contract.

    Melo one n half season as a Knicks shouldve been traded while on the USA Team

  15. #15
    Member Shaunyboy23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    128
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    Be lucky Im not the GM .... Melo would be traded while playing on the USA Team.

    Lin/Fields/Novak were suppose to be resigned .. JR givin walkin papers if no team want a sign n trade for his contract.

    Melo one n half season as a Knicks shouldve been traded while on the USA Team
    Please for the foreseeable future refrain from posting about Melo due to the fact that your obvious bias and contempt towards him makes you incapable of providing any logical arguments or reason on the subject

Similar Threads

  1. Don't hate the player.. Hate the coach
    By moneyg in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: Jan 20, 2011, 14:24
  2. What NBA Team do you HATE The most?
    By StreetDreams21 in forum NBA
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Apr 13, 2009, 22:24
  3. New Yorkers hate these Knicks
    By Cakalusa in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Nov 30, 2007, 19:03
  4. The Hate Wagon
    By donchris in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Dec 22, 2006, 04:31
  5. Who do you hate the most?
    By donchris in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: Aug 20, 2006, 15:12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •