Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so much hate for Carmelo?

A lot of this is media driven, 'Melo isn't bashful, coming out and saying that another player's contract is "ridiculous." This is the kind of stuff that negates all the good you had done in Woodson's system.

I can hear the Headlines when the Knicks and Rockets meet up, these things will all be rehashed again. The media won't let you forget.

8 seasons of 1 and done, 1 year in the western finals. Look what happened to Lebron, 1 title, all the garbage was tossed out. Unless there's a drastic change in his game, without that title, the old baggage will continue to trail him.

I worked in advertising and PR for 6 years and I don't know why MSG somehow got Melo (and JR) to an extent involved in this Lin drama.

Hahn started this BS by interviewing the Players for their reaction. This in turn was stupid as f*ck since all it's accomplish was to make the players seem jealous of Lin or holding a grudge (I don't think know if this is true but each interview is a bigger foot in the mouth than the last one).

All they had to do was release a statement saying "we appreciate what Lin brings to the Knicks but the luxury tax was too high so we are being forced to go in another direction". Shoot this is all they have to do now. They should frame this choice as being a professional one not a personal "he is being overpaid and we dont like that" choice. Cause give Amare credit he knew not to speak and Melo shouldn't has either. I know they were trying to make JR seem like a voice of reason since he took less to stay but the Knicks need to realize this whole thing is Toxic and any player attached will come out looking bad when it's over.

Originally Posted by jimkcchief88
    There is a difference between criticism and blind hatred. A critique is "needs to work harder on defense" or "needs to get in shape". Hate talk as seen above is "fat" and "lazy". You guys got away with it tormenting poor Eddy Curry around here that way. E-City had real health problems that plague the African-American community: Obesity and Heart disease. Not to mention the violence you face everyday growing up in a poor community like his. Chicago is front-page news right now because of our muder-rate and its the young people dying. Yet when the violence hit home for Eddy Curry while a member of the Knicks, no one around here posted any sympathy. It was more "fat" and "lazy" talk. There is a pattern of hate around here people. Check yourselves.

if a dude gets overinflated contract costing the team sh1t tons of money plus limiting the flexibility of the team's spending, u will get criticized no matter what his background is,

i understand how a lot of people go thru sh1t and deserve all our sympathies but if ur paid to perform, then u expect criticism and even ridicule if u dont perform.

Veteran

Are Grunwald & Allan Houston incompetent as managers?
    if not, then Melo had something to do with it

Do anyone see Kidd & Lin running an ISO-Melo play two consecutive times on offense? I dont see them running one ISO Melo play.

I would rather the Knicks had Wilson Chandler & Novak at the SF rather than a no-defense ISO-Melo offense.

ISO BALL is the best thing since sliced bread

On a serious note Melo doesn't play ISO ball he operates through the mid post where he needs off the ball movement to find cutters, flashers and guys fading for 3's but when you stand there he is forced to operate himself

Offenses don't get stagnant when the guy with the ball stops it if the others players just watch then what

Watch the tripled double game was that ISO ball, Idk but it was the best single game performance by any Knick last season

Originally Posted by CA7
    ISO BALL is the best thing since sliced bread

On a serious note Melo doesn't play ISO ball he operates through the mid post where he needs off the ball movement to find cutters, flashers and guys fading for 3's but when you stand there he is forced to operate himself

Offenses don't get stagnant when the guy with the ball stops it if the others players just watch then what

Watch the tripled double game was that ISO ball, Idk but it was the best single game performance by any Knick last season
    Yea that's the problem when #1 gets the ball, everyone stops and watches. Lebron has that problem, Dirk same thing. It lets the defense to catch up after all the chasing of the ball. Defense can setup for a double, etc. Now one of the things Kidd and Dirk worked on was moving initiation points for Dirk. Dirk would always get it on the mid block, giving the defense an easy double/triple. But kidd had Dirk getting the ball in triple stance on the elbows facing up or butt back and a lot of times all the way out at the top of the key. I think Kidd will bring a lot of that with him to Melo, it'll get to the point where he'll encourage movement to get easy points. I noticed quite a few times where Lebron would come from weakside, to the low block and the pass would be there for a quick deuce. A lot of that would easily be Melo. Melo's offensive game is so vast, he'll turnaround on a smaller defender or drive right by a big one.

Yet when the violence hit home for Eddy Curry while a member of the Knicks, no one around here posted any sympathy. It was more "fat" and "lazy" talk. There is a pattern of hate around here people. Check yourselves.
    That's not entirely true. There were sympathetic posts made.

All this whining about racism isn't well founded either, Jim. There were unquestionably those of the same descent as yourself that were unimpressed with Melo at stages throughout the season. They, presumably, get a free pass in your estimation. Whoever it may be that complained about Melo is in no way correlated to racism. If it is, if it is outright and clearly racist, then someone will sort it out. You can play watch dog, if you so please.

Also, if you're still bitter about being insulted during the Starbury wars, it's not necessary to bring down the site. There are a lot of major contributors here, the majority of whom are very intellectual, in depth and thought provoking.

So can the racism. It defiles the site.

Also, if you could find it in yourself to stop saying that the site's members are low IQ fake fans, that would be super duper.

Originally Posted by Kidd Karma
    Yea that's the problem when #1 gets the ball, everyone stops and watches. Lebron has that problem, Dirk same thing. It lets the defense to catch up after all the chasing of the ball. Defense can setup for a double, etc. Now one of the things Kidd and Dirk worked on was moving initiation points for Dirk. Dirk would always get it on the mid block, giving the defense an easy double/triple. But kidd had Dirk getting the ball in triple stance on the elbows facing up or butt back and a lot of times all the way out at the top of the key. I think Kidd will bring a lot of that with him to Melo, it'll get to the point where he'll encourage movement to get easy points. I noticed quite a few times where Lebron would come from weakside, to the low block and the pass would be there for a quick deuce. A lot of that would easily be Melo. Melo's offensive game is so vast, he'll turnaround on a smaller defender or drive right by a big one.
    I agree, he should come off cross screens and down screens to operate more, or run some pick n roll so he can get his man trailing and make a move with anticipation rather than having to work for it

Originally Posted by CA7
    I agree, he should come off cross screens and down screens to operate more, or run some pick n roll so he can get his man trailing and make a move with anticipation rather than having to work for it
    Absolutely. He too often over works for position. I like that he establishes a sense of dominance by doing so, but some added fluidity to his game adds to our offense, IMO.

He certainly seems more comfortable as a shooter when pressured, though. Certainly more so than when he's uncontested to a degree. He's a great shooter, and I just think he could add a more savvy, nimble side to his offense. Think Rip Hamilton at 6'8". Phew.

I think that in doing so, he'll also amp up that underrated, highly capable passing game of his, and that will be a huge boon for Stoudemire and Chandler.

Move, move, move, diversify, add versatility, add wins to the column.

Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    Absolutely. He too often over works for position. I like that he establishes a sense of dominance by doing so, but some added fluidity to his game adds to our offense, IMO.

He certainly seems more comfortable as a shooter when pressured, though. Certainly more so than when he's uncontested to a degree. He's a great shooter, and I just think he could add a more savvy, nimble side to his offense. Think Rip Hamilton at 6'8". Phew.

I think that in doing so, he'll also amp up that underrated, highly capable passing game of his, and that will be a huge boon for Stoudemire and Chandler.

Move, move, move, diversify, add versatility, add wins to the column.
    also in Denver he ran some of those spin to alley oop plays which got him easy buckets and made defenders play off of him. Melo can score in every facet but you gotta set up the next move by doing something else the previous time

cross screen to post up, easy 2, maybe and 1

down screen easy mid range jumper

down screen, over play back door alley easy 2

pick n pop

post up

pick n roll

spot up while STAT works his pick n roll game

we have a lot of offensive potential, we gotta just put it together

See this garbage is why even though I have be
    en a member since 2006, I don't post much. Since Starbury came to town, groupthink IQ dropped on KO.COM by 100 points. I am so serious right now. When I joined this board in 06', there where INTELLIGENT conversations going on all topics, not just basketball. That included politics, religion, and RACE. Ask RADY or any of the old-school posters. I remember one poster called David Stern:"the overseer sitting on the porch of the plantation sipping on a mint julep." No one was offended because we knew what was up. This is the NEW YORK KNICKS PEOPLE. You know, SPIKE LEE'S team. Mr "Do the Right Thing" himself. Bottom-line: Describing African-Americans using terms like "fat" and "lazy" is unacceptable. These are PROFESSIONAL ATHELETES people. They have more athleticism in thier little fingers than most of us mere mortals have in our entire bodies. It's no coincidence that the african-american is being described as "fat" and "lazy" even though he won an NCAA title and is a perennial all-star, while the asian as "hardworking" based on 25 games. If Lin worked so hard he would have been availible for the HEAT series. It's a double-standard working here on KO.COM, the basketball-bizarro world. I don't hear the national experts saying this stuff. I just read this GARBAGE here.
    you're an idiot

Originally Posted by CA7

we have a lot of offensive potential, we gotta just put it together
    And the most satisfying part of this statement is that we now have the coach and personnel to back that up defensively. When things go sour offensively, the house that Glenny G built can maintain opponent's offense.

Loving it.

Will definitely miss Jefferies' presence on that end.

We all know his offense, I just can't wait to see his def next year, he really flourished under Woodson.

Default SO here is melo's recent comments after USA beat Brazil Tonight

Rod Boone ‏@rodboone
    More Melo on ‪#Lin‬: "I hope we get it done, man. I would love to see him back, honestly. I would definitely love to see him back."

19m Rod Boone ‏@rodboone
    Was Melo surprised by the reaction to his comments? "I always get backlash. It's nothing new. It is what it is."

21m Rod Boone ‏@rodboone
    Melo: "It's just a matter of them figuring it out at this point."

21m Rod Boone ‏@rodboone
    More Melo on ‪#Lin‬: "With Jeremy, I know he definitely wants to be back in New York & Dolan definitely wants him back."

24m Rod Boone ‏@rodboone
    Why do people think Melo doesn't like Lin? "I don’t know. I can't worry about that. Ask Lin he’ll tell you what a good relationship we have"

27m Rod Boone ‏@rodboone
    Melo: "It was ridiculous for them to do what they did, as far as throwing that out there and making it tougher on us to sign him back."

28m Rod Boone ‏@rodboone
    Melo was asked after tonight's game about his characterization of Lin's contract as being "ridiculous." Here's his answer in next tweet.
    Either he is backtracking on earlier statements or he is genuine but at this point i don't know what's going to happen but like chris rock twat why are grown men worrying about other men's money ?

Melo is the Knicks' version of A-Rod. Many Knicks fans never liked him & his style of play, & when he orchestrated his trade to come to NY & cost the Knicks some promising assets, many Knick fans were already resentful. A-Rod went through a number of years of being hated by a good portion of Yankees fans until he finally broke out & beasted to help the Yankees to a championship in 2009 with that amazing season & postseason he had. Melo will have to do the same if he ever wants to win over all of his Knicks fan detractors. I personally wish people would appreciate what Melo brings to the table more, but some fans just don't like his style of iso play, which is understandable. Me personally, I just want to see winning basketball. The way this team ended last season with Melo & Lin playing well together & the Knicks finishing with that 18-6 stretch was really promising & makes me have faith that Melo's time in NY is about to hit its stride next season.