Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Why so much hate for Carmelo?

Originally Posted by orangeblobman
    Brewer is in for a rude awakening. After his 5th consecutive penetration is ignored he will recognize how Melo (jelly) rolls.

Poor choice of words from the blob man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by JaYnYcE
    Poor choice of words from the blob man.

Come on, I have to get the donut jokes in before he comes into next season in shape. I won't be able to make donut jokes again until 2013-2014.

The problem is besides Tyson, guys pretty much stopped moving once Melo got the ball. Ronnie Brewer made a great point on ESPN NY recently:

ON PLAYING WITH CARMELO: Brewer also believes he can help Anthony, who has a widley-held reputation as a ball-stopper. He told Smith and Ryan Ruocco that one key to playing with Anthony is to avoid standing around and watching like you're at the 'theater.'

"You have to be able to move without the basketball, get in the open spots and make the game easier for him," Brewer said. "Instead of him having to take tough shots, you penetrate, you get him the ball and start to get him easy shots where he doesn't have to work so hard."

Originally Posted by KingStarbury3
    That fat loser Barktree had one mvp season. Its not like he ever won a championship. Melo would toy with and embarrass a prime Barkley, he woulda undeniably had been a champion had he played back then
    More sarcasm I hope?

Sorry CA7, Melo is not even close to Rose's level. I would trade ball-stopping Melo for the best penetrating explosive scoring guard in the NBA anyday, just give me the chance

Watch Melo during the Olympics. The ball is out of his hands within 3 seconds whether it be a pass to a player cutting to the basket, an open player or shooting the ball himself. I think people who say he stops ball movement don't look at what other players are doing around him.

I would scream at the tv last season watching Novak and Fields just stand there at crucial times of the game. Fields was a great cutter so I never understood his mental lapses when he would just stand there for long periods of the game.

Originally Posted by Ghostowl
    Sorry CA7, Melo is not even close to Rose's level. I would trade ball-stopping Melo for the best penetrating explosive scoring guard in the NBA anyday, just give me the chance
    I'll take a dominant wing and a "good enough" PG over just having the PG and trying to fit pieces around him.

It's not the most popular stance to take, but we often see championship teams relying on the dynamism of a player at a position other than PG. The PG just needs to be competent enough to run the team, contribute what's needed on both ends, and not mess it up. The All-star talents we see in Rose, CP3, D-Will, Nash, or the up and coming Wall and Irving, is not necessary to achieve that.

There's an infatuation with the PG position, which is ironic, because the last two Finals MVPs at that position was Parker and Billups. In both situations, strong cases can be made that they were able to amass the numbers they had because of the team dynamic. Duncan down low, Ginobli, and Bowen in the corner, etc. and with the Pistons, you had The Wallace Wall controlling the paint, RIP, Prince, with both Okur and Mike James coming off the bench to stretch the defense and pop 3s.

Other than those two, the PGs on championship teams have been Kidd, Fisher x2, a young "don't **** it up please" Rondo who shot 40% from the field while averaging 10 points and 6 assists per game in the playoffs...clearly not the Rondo we know now, and Gary Payton and Jason Williams.

So, for as talented as CP3, Rose, and those guys are...why in the world would we be trading Melo for an All-star PG? Based on recent history, what makes anyone think that's the way to go? Because of all of the rings that the mega star PGs have wracked up in the past decade...?
    Last edited by nuckles2k2; Aug 04, 2012 at 22:48.

Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    I'll take a dominant wing and a "good enough" PG over just having the PG and trying to fit pieces around him.

It's not the most popular stance to take, but we often see championship teams relying on the dynamism of a player at a position other than PG. The PG just needs to be competent enough to run the team, contribute what's needed on both ends, and not mess it up. The All-star talents we see in Rose, CP3, D-Will, Nash, or the up and coming Wall and Irving, is not necessary to achieve that.

There's an infatuation with the PG position, which is ironic, because the last two Finals MVPs at that position was Parker and Billups. In both situations, strong cases can be made that they were able to amass the numbers they had because of the team dynamic. Duncan down low, Ginobli, and Bowen in the corner, etc. and with the Pistons, you had The Wallace Wall controlling the paint, RIP, Prince, with both Okur and Mike James coming off the bench to stretch the defense and pop 3s.

Other than those two, the PGs on championship teams have been Kidd, Fisher x2, a young "don't **** it up please" Rondo who shot 40% from the field while averaging 10 points and 6 assists per game in the playoffs...clearly not the Rondo we know now, and Gary Payton and Jason Williams.

So, for as talented as CP3, Rose, and those guys are...why in the world would we be trading Melo for an All-star PG? Based on recent history, what makes anyone think that's the way to go? Because of all of the rings that the mega star PGs have wracked up in the past decade...?
    That was going to be my next point but you beat me to it. Of all the finals MVPs since it's inception, there have been more small forwards and shooting guards than any other position. I believe it's something like 12-11 in regards to the 2&3 vs 4&5 position and like 6 different PGs in its history. Before Billups it was Zeke over a decade earlier.

http://www.nba.com/history/finals/champions.html
    Last edited by JaYnYcE; Aug 05, 2012 at 08:18.

Watch Melo during the Olympics. The ball is out of his hands within 3 seconds whether it be a pass to a player cutting to the basket, an open player or shooting the ball himself. I think people who say he stops ball movement don't look at what other players are doing around him.

I would scream at the tv last season watching Novak and Fields just stand there at crucial times of the game. Fields was a great cutter so I never understood his mental lapses when he would just stand there for long periods of the game.

People are standing around last year because once the ball get to Melo, it's not coming out!!!!! Ohhh please stop with the Olympic, it is no way a reflection of a NBA game. Everyone passes because everyone can score.

Originally Posted by Den318
    People are standing around last year because once the ball get to Melo, it's not coming out!!!!! Ohhh please stop with the Olympic, it is no way a reflection of a NBA game. Everyone passes because everyone can score.
    Carmelo was third on the team in APG. To say that the ball just stops is incorrect. Just because the media tells us that Melo is selfish doesn't mean that we should feed into their propaganda. I can remember numerous times that I've seen Melo hit a cutting Landry on the baseline or a streaking STAT to the basket or a lob to Chandler. If you move and can get open, Melo will get you the ball if he trusts that you're going to get a higher % shot than he will.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

Originally Posted by KingStarbury3
    That fat loser Barktree had one mvp season. Its not like he ever won a championship. Melo would toy with and embarrass a prime Barkley, he woulda undeniably had been a champion had he played back then

Agreed, definitely Barkley gets the respect cause he played in the past NBA. Guarantee you had he played in today's league he wouldnt be garnering half as much hype. Melos the better talent and now he has the team to take that next step forward

Originally Posted by DaTPRiNCE
    Agreed, definitely Barkley gets the respect cause he played in the past NBA. Guarantee you had he played in today's league he wouldnt be garnering half as much hype. Melos the better talent and now he has the team to take that next step forward
    Barkley would eat today's soft bums for breakfast.

It's Melo that would struggle in Charles's league.

Originally Posted by orangeblobman
    Barkley would eat today's soft bums for breakfast.

It's Melo that would struggle in Charles's league.
    I actually think Melo has a more 80's/90's game, physical hardcover game along with his versatility he'd destroy that era

Carmelo was third on the team in APG. To say that the ball just stops is incorrect. Just because the media tells us that Melo is selfish doesn't mean that we should feed into their propaganda. I can remember numerous times that I've seen Melo hit a cutting Landry on the baseline or a streaking STAT to the basket or a lob to Chandler. If you move and can get open, Melo will get you the ball if he trusts that you're going to get a higher % shot than he will.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Media called him a selfish player because he is. He's been called a selfish player for years, not just in N.Y. He is 3rd in APG because he has the ball ALL THE TIME. Of course he will find Landry or Stats once in a blue moon. Believe it or not, i think Melo is a really good player. He is just not a smart player.