• Even at 5-0, we can be stronger with STAT

30 81.08%
  • No, he will mess it all up!

4 10.81%
  • STAT who?

3 8.11%
Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 216171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-13 Amar'e Stoudemire Player Performance and News thread

If Amar'e could play half the defense that Kevin Garnett plays he will have no problem fitting in with this group of players. But if Amar'e plays the same type of defense that he played under Mike D'antoni opposing teams will look to expose him no matter how many points he averages a game.

This defense is all about the rotations. If Amar'e can get a quick grasp on that then I'm not that worried. I know ppl see how we are playing now and want to dump his contract but Amar'e is a much better help defender then on ball. With his athleticism he and Chandler should cover a lot of room and turn the paint into an official "no fly zone".

My main thing is he needs to trust the PGs to find him like they do Melo to finish plays. Don't get the ball then look around... Melo has learned to trust his teammates and Amar'e is next.

Originally Posted by 21 Shump Street
    I think you'll find Amare will spend a lot of his time playing with Marcus Camby at C. Partly due to the fact that Camby has a respectable mid range jumper and can keep out of Stat's way as Stat will be used as the primary option of the PnR when he is out there with Camby.
    I think it would be best for him to play his minutes with Thomas, Camby and Sheed because they can hide his defensive liabilities and can hit the outside shot to give him some space. I'd try to limit his minutes with Chandler and Melo as much as possible.

Playing defense and getting boards are not entirely about athletic ability. It's about player's determination. Amare has never played defense in his entire career. I wonder what makes the OP think that he would start doing it now.

I do think Amare will make our offense more potent.

Originally Posted by platnumn
    OK, ANYONE WHO IS NOT SKEPTICAL OF AMAR'E'S DEFENSIVE ABILITY, PLEASE STAND UP!

Ok, now that you're all sitting comfortable, let me speak my mind.

I'm as big of an 'Amar'e Defense Skeptic' as there is, but mark my words:

AMAR'E WILL DEFEND...AND DEFEND WELL

This player is not stupid. He has a gifted offensive game and beyond FREAK athletic ability. He is (was) in the best shape of his life coming into training camp and is BY FAR one of the hardest workers on the team, both on the court and off.

Mike Woodson writes 2 stats on the board before and after each game:

• Avg Pts Allowed
    • Avg FG% Allowed

Mikey Woodcack has made it abundantly clear what the goal for his team is:
    To defend...
    To rebound.....
    To make the opposing team so nauseatingly sick of the Knicks suffocation tactics that they just pack it in and accept the L.

This isn't D'antoni's 'run-n-gun' from the 3PT (although we have taken a bunch of 3s so far).
    This is accountability for yourself and your team on the DEFENSIVE END.
    This is sharing the ball on the OFFENSIVE END.
    This is being so facking unselfish that it makes other players and coaches sick with envy.

Amar'e sees this. Amar'e hears what people say. Amar'e reads what the media says. Amar'e knows his faults better than anybody.

If you think for one god damn second this man isn't motivated to help bring this team a championship by way of playing the same winning basketball that is currently happening, you're delusional.

STAT is coming. And he's eager to prove you wrong.

I personally can't wait to have the big fella back. This man wants a championship.

Ty dude. An Amare supporter.. (golf clap)

Cant help but respect Amare and his hard word this offseason. I also expect a strong comeback.

I mean 17 8 was his career worst right?

I just hope all his hard work has paid off and he can play alongside Melo and be productive without hindering what Melo has been doing. We are 3-0 without Amar'e, hopefully we will be 30-0 with him!

Not as excited as I was before we started the season for his return though...

Amare has to play with his own line up... leave Melo at 4!!!!!!

I agree completely and I was going to post a thread just like this, so +1 for you sir.

Woodson IS NOT going to let Amare come in and play 30+ minutes of appalling defense.

If Amare does not buy in to the defensive team effort of the Knicks he will see his minutes and role diminish quickly. I am very excited to see Amare's return, a return to power.

Amar'e has to come in and do these things for us to be successful with him

-hit that mid range jumper at a great clip
    -defend his ass off
    -move without the ball and set screens for our perimeter players

very simple, very easy but will he do it man who the hell knows

We're gonna start STAT and likely Shumpert for 2 reasons, 1 that starting 5 is our 2013 starting 5 most likely and 2 small ball wont work all year long

I think we should do what Doc does with KG and give STAT 5/6 minute spurts to keep him fresh and healthy, I think thats whats best for our team

Originally Posted by VeryGundy
    Playing defense and getting boards are not entirely about athletic ability. It's about player's determination. Amare has never played defense in his entire career. I wonder what makes the OP think that he would start doing it now.

I do think Amare will make our offense more potent.
    Well, maybe the fear of losing his job makes him do things we didn't think he's even capable of?

Oh, wait, his on a $60M/3 uninsured contract and is considered freaking injury prone, no way somebody's touching it, Amare's job is safe.

Originally Posted by Dzwonsson
    Well, maybe the fear of losing his job makes him do things we didn't think he's even capable of?

Oh, wait, his on a $60M/3 uninsured contract and is considered freaking injury prone, no way somebody's touching it, Amare's job is safe.
    His money is safe, but his reputation and playing time are not.

Coach Woody is not bashful he will let Amare know if there's a problem.

Oh thank god someone posted something like this. I just hope Amare doesn't mess up what we have now. We could go 5-0 and even longer if we happen to beat spurs on their home court. I will kill somebody if he comes back and we lose 3 straight.

There's a difference between Amare and Melo.

In prior games Melo has shown the propensity to play solid 1:1 defense when he wanted to. Amare has never shown me that he can defend even slightly above average players by himself.

Right now that's the difference between the two.

Amare has been working extensively with Hakeem so maybe this will bode well for him. Otherwise I don't really see there being that much hope for a change in his ability in this area.