• Even at 5-0, we can be stronger with STAT

30 81.08%
  • No, he will mess it all up!

4 10.81%
  • STAT who?

3 8.11%
Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 721222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-13 Amar'e Stoudemire Player Performance and News thread

I voted negative, but would like to make it clear that I don't doubt his potential. All I doubt is his IQ and desire.

Playing well and at 100% will be more about mentality than physicality with Amar'e, and the amount of 'smarts' he brings. Can't hold out a lot of hope, TBH.

Superstar

Stoudemire will definitely add a dimension to our offence. Considering his past chemistry with Felton, the Knicks should be covered with regards to the offensive options they have. Whether it's a Felton-STAT pick 'n roll, or an Anthony ISO; perhaps even JR for three, this is a formidable force when attacking. I'm not worried about the chemistry as we now have three very clever players who can run the floor. Last year's main issue was that Toney Douglas initially played the point, and was later replaced by Jeremy Lin who -although a slight upgrade- was never good enough to utilise the players this team has. We now have proper PG's and we can expect far better results when attacking.

No and pau isn't a clear upgrade (he take about 3 games off for every elite game he plays) but its a good question to annoy laker fans with.

We need STAT to come off the bench with JR, Novak,Brewer/Shump and Camby/Wallace

Best team in the NBA.

Originally Posted by TakMan
    Stoudemire will definitely add a dimension to our offence. Considering his past chemistry with Felton, the Knicks should be covered with regards to the offensive options they have.
    Chandler runs the P&R (in terms of setting picks and rolling) much better than Amar'e does. And, as we all know, finishes OOPs better than the vast majority of 5s in the game. Ray's better off in a 2 man P&D off the P&R with Tyson. STAT's one advantage over Tyson through both of their entire, complete games is his range.....if he brings that in to the offence with consistency and execution, along with a legit triple threat individual game, then we've got something to add to the argument. Last year's efforts from range didn't exactly make a boast for his form from 15-18 feet out.

STAT is a better PNR finisher then tyson. He gets to the line more, finishes more and, as you mentioned, has pick n pop from range ability.

He brings a lot to the offensive end and if he commits to defense and rebounding then he will be a force once he returns. I know he is dying to get out on the floor and show off his new stuff. he'll be a great player for us this year and all the doubters will get their comeuppance. I'm honestly not worried about STAT getting back into the fold. This team is so damn good.

Originally Posted by p0nder
    STAT is a better PNR finisher then tyson. He gets to the line more, finishes more and, as you mentioned, has pick n pop from range ability.

He brings a lot to the offensive end and if he commits to defense and rebounding then he will be a force once he returns. I know he is dying to get out on the floor and show off his new stuff. he'll be a great player for us this year and all the doubters will get their comeuppance. I'm honestly not worried about STAT getting back into the fold. This team is so damn good.
    He doesn't roll half as well as Tyson, and the last thing we need out of him @ 6'11, 250 with athleticism is for him to play stretch P&R shooter. We need a beast! Not a vagina full of yeast.

Superstar

Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    Chandler runs the P&R (in terms of setting picks and rolling) much better than Amar'e does. And, as we all know, finishes OOPs better than the vast majority of 5s in the game. Ray's better off in a 2 man P&D off the P&R with Tyson. STAT's one advantage over Tyson through both of their entire, complete games is his range.....if he brings that in to the offence with consistency and execution, along with a legit triple threat individual game, then we've got something to add to the argument. Last year's efforts from range didn't exactly make a boast for his form from 15-18 feet out.
    I don't think last year should be a basis for assessing any player. It was a strange season and I think the Rockets made the mistake of reading too much into it (hence the Lin poison pill). I also think that Stoudemire is more comfortable on the P&R than Chandler is (Stoudemire being the more experienced in terms of working with PG's on offence). I definitely agree about his mid range shooting though. If he brings his 2010-11 form to the table then that's just brilliant; and if he's picked up one tenth of what Olajuwon taught him over the summer then we're just talking icing on a very big cake.

Originally Posted by TakMan
    I don't think last year should be a basis for assessing any player. It was a strange season and I think the Rockets made the mistake of reading too much into it (hence the Lin poison pill). I also think that Stoudemire is more comfortable on the P&R than Chandler is (Stoudemire being the more experienced in terms of working with PG's on offence). I definitely agree about his mid range shooting though. If he brings his 2010-11 form to the table then that's just brilliant; and if he's picked up one tenth of what Olajuwon taught him over the summer then we're just talking icing on a very big cake.
    Yeah, I know I'm being the pessimist, but STAT's been a letdown at so many stages throughout the last year+. I can't dig assumptions backing him as a changed player entirely. He put in the work, but what has that brought to his team game, I wonder. Leopards and spots, IMO.

I'm not sure how well Amare is going to fit in. When Woody said that all players need to check their egos at the door, its seemed like a thinly veiled message to Stat. I think we all have seen how much better Melo plays at the 4 and there's no way I would obstruct that. Stat can be a great asset off the bench but I highly doubt he's going to be okay with that, even if he says he is. He's an emotional guy who wears his heart on his sleeve and it won't be good to have him sulking and playing at half speed.

Superstar

Yeah, I know I'm being the pessimist, but STAT's been a letdown at so many stages throughout the last year+. I can't dig assumptions backing him as a changed player entirely. He put in the work, but what has that brought to his team game, I wonder. Leopards and spots, IMO.
    I'd say pessimism is in our DNA as Knicks fans really so you're not displaying any unseasonal symptoms, but we've got to accept certain truths about Stoudamire.

1. If he doesn't join the Knicks in 2010 then we don't have this lineup today.

2. He carried us to our first winning season in something like ten years

3. We've made the playoffs both seasons he's been with us (this may sound like a small victory if any at the moment but 3 to 4 years back the playoffs would never enter a discussion on a Knicks board)

It's reasonable for us to be expectant of all our players, and in particular our star players; but we should also pay props where they're due. He's not been terrible. He's been great at points, and sub standard at other points. He started this though and for that he deserves some acknowledgement. There are people who have forgotten he's even part of the Knicks setup due to the amazing start we've made. If he's got any drive left in him he'll be looking to deliver a big slice of shut your mouth when he returns. If he fails, then we've got him to thank for the adequate cover and depth we've developed over the past 3 years.

Originally Posted by Starks
    it won't be good to have him sulking and playing at half speed.
    Better STAT at half speed than Carmelo. At what stage does it become what's best for the team VS what's best for the individual? I'd like to think winning would be the decisive factor behind necessary compliance, but I'd not like to be the one demanding the compliance.

If this turns sour............hmmmm.

He doesn't roll half as well as Tyson, and the last thing we need out of him @ 6'11, 250 with athleticism is for him to play stretch P&R shooter. We need a beast! Not a vagina full of yeast.
    He rolls just as good as tyson does man. He made $100M rolling to the rim rocker, i don't know if you might have missed that part of STAT cause we saw him do a lot of mid range game (turnovers) this last year+ but he's a big man that rolls hard and finishes better the tyson does especially in traffic. He doesn't create of the dribble especially well but if he's got the ball anywhere near the key it's probably gonna be a good shot.

STAT isn't gonna ***** out on this, he's gonna beast. I'm just saying that while you saw some nice PnR from Tyson so far this year, just go check out felton and STAT in 2010 and tell me you don't think STAT is the best PnR big man we've got. he just adds an extra element being able to shoot that midrange shot. Now tyson is starting to add some range as well and he's really starting to show some offensive improvements this year, But STAT is polished on the offensive end and ALL will see his PHENOMENAL RISE TO GREATNESS AGAIN! /statvoice

just put me on #teamstat aight?

Mike D'Antoni as our coach really warped a lot of Knicks fan's minds, by not knowing how to use Amar'e and Melo in the proper way. Just give Woodson a chance to make them work, and then sit back and enjoy. It will be a beautiful thing.