2012-13 Amar'e Stoudemire Player Performance and News thread

We'll be BETTER with STAT

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
STAT will have a resurgence, listening to him talk on MSG he's knows whats being said and he knows he got work to do. i was a firm believer that he wasnt right last season from the start he looked flat, wasnt used to the weight he was playing at and rtowards the end when he got back to his normal weight he was playing his style again, then he got hurt again. he was never at a steady rhythm. back to normal now he's healthy and he'll be a monster again this year. besides playing with his boy feltip will help em a lot since they have chemistry. looking for a big year outta him this season.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Offensively

He needs an across the lane fading jumper and some real tutelage on how to get his body in to the paint away from the ball for a baby hook. Chandler will not get in his way if he's barreling that 250 pound frame in to the no charge zone, catching, and finishing.

He's gotta find and refine his jumper.

Run the P&R/P&P crisply/aggressively. Too passive on screens last season!

Play a real big man's game - ie MVP SHAQ, who just crashed his way in to the paint and finished within 6 feet of the basket.

Most importantly, put strength ahead of any finesse. No more iso and penetrate from the key. It doesn't work and won't work on this team. Play a big man's game and play it hard.

I think an overhaul of his 2010-2011 game ~ from multi faceted scorer ~ is a thing of the past. Adapt and win. Add something to the arsenal once your role has been defined, Amar'e!

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
I posted this previously in the Beating the Heat thread but think it's relevant and a very underlooked aspect of STAT this upcoming season.

A big aspect will be our tenacity on defense & toughness. I really like the signing of Camby, not just for the fact that he is a great back up C and still an elite rebounder & defender, but that it forces STAT to learn post moves. Woodson & Grunwald ensure that STAT will be forced to learn these moves as he won't be getting any minutes at C. I'll go out on a limb here but STAT should be a beast next season. I know he is dying to prove the haters wrong & have a come back year, but look at the support he has. Chandler, Camby & Kurt Thomas are as tough as they come and neither of them will mind calling STAT out if he doesn't give his all on D. Likewise, they will have his back through anything and should all provide a great base for him to lift his game defensively.

Amare-Stoudemire-Knicks-vs-Orlando-600x399.jpg

smokes

Huge Member
I think if everything falls into place this year with Amare and Melo playing well together, Amare can be a monster both sides of the court.

I know that usually he's an appalling defensive player, however in the short time he played under Woodson there was a gradual and noticeable improvement and some games he straight up beasted (I'm ignoring the playoffs right here, we all know from playoffs onwards Amare has failed the team miserably).

If you didn't see it try to catch the late season Knicks vs Sixers game which was a big game due to the playoff implications, Amare had a nice offensive game with 21 points and this was not long after the huge downturn he had mid season. However it was the clutch buckets and huge defensive plays down the stretch that really impressed.

Amare could be a good defender I would love to see him as a 15-17pts 10 rebounds 2 blocks kind of player under Woodson and with Felton who has played so much 2 man game with STAT it should be possible.

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
I think if everything falls into place this year with Amare and Melo playing well together, Amare can be a monster both sides of the court.

I know that usually he's an appalling defensive player, however in the short time he played under Woodson there was a gradual and noticeable improvement and some games he straight up beasted (I'm ignoring the playoffs right here, we all know from playoffs onwards Amare has failed the team miserably).

If you didn't see it try to catch the late season Knicks vs Sixers game which was a big game due to the playoff implications, Amare had a nice offensive game with 21 points and this was not long after the huge downturn he had mid season. However it was the clutch buckets and huge defensive plays down the stretch that really impressed.

Amare could be a good defender I would love to see him as a 15-17pts 10 rebounds 2 blocks kind of player under Woodson and with Felton who has played so much 2 man game with STAT it should be possible.

His block against Brand was a great play and shows he can be useful on the defensive end. Had a big implication on the game too, Amare completely shut him out of the game in the second half after Brand started well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ov-V3HJW1w

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
In my opinion anyone willing to drop 50k a week to get better is someone who deserves another chance.Thats alot of money to us I guess, but still im glad he's working.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
In my opinion anyone willing to drop 50k a week to get better is someone who deserves another chance.Thats alot of money to us I guess, but still im glad he's working.

Absolutely. Here's to hoping that he and Woody can nut out what works best for him and the team together.

metrocard

Legend

Well, we'll see his worth...even if he plays well I hope he plays well enough for good trade value. I think our shot at a title is limited to a two year window lead by how much prime years Melo and Chandler got. I'm willing to trade Amare to upgrade to a 3rd guy who will compliment Melo/Tyson more than Amare can.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Bleacherreport on Amare

Once upon a time, Amar'e Stoudemire was the king of New York, the Knicks inspired hope and Madison Square Garden was a palace of basketball splendor.

And it might be again, if Stoudemire recovers from an abysmal 2011-12 campaign and gives tortured hoops-heads in the Big Apple reason to smile again in the process.

Let's first go back to the winter of 2011, when STAT still had that new-car smell and the ink was still fresh on his five-year, $100 million deal. A win over the Atlanta Hawks on February 16th left the Knicks at 28-26 overall, already on their way to their first winning record since the 2000-01 season.

Through his first 53 games in a Knicks uniform (not including one missed on January 12th), STAT averaged 26.1 points (on 50.7 percent shooting), 8.6 rebounds and 2.7 assists while carrying the interior load for an exciting squad under the auspices of fast-break guru Mike D'Antoni.

Nick Laham/Getty Images
Those were simpler, more innocent times at Madison Square Garden. The Knicks had a young, up-and-coming roster, featuring the likes of Danilo Gallinari, Raymond Felton, Wilson Chandler and Timofey Mozgov.

But then Knicks owner James Dolan pushed hard for Carmelo Anthony, GM Donnie Walsh caved in, and away went New York's exuberant nucleus, replaced on February 22 by a wantaway superstar, an aging point guard (Chauncey Billups) and a bucket of boat trash (Shelden Williams, Renaldo Balkman and Anthony Carter) unbecoming of even an entree at Bubba Gump.

Gone were the myriad pick-and-rolls, the uptempo basketball free from the burden of expectation, and the All-Star spirit that Stoudemire had embodied. The Knicks went 14-14 over their final 28 games, while Stoudemire's numbers dropped to 23.5 points (on 49.1 percent shooting), 7.3 rebounds and 2.4 assists as he sacrificed his game to help his buddy 'Melo fit in.

Then came a first-round playoff sweep at the hands of the Boston Celtics. Then the lockout. Then GM Glen Grunwald essentially swapped out Chauncey Billups for Tyson Chandler. Then a slow start to the shortened season, for Stoudemire as well as the Knicks. Then personal tragedy, Linsanity, D'Antoni's departure, back problems, a busted fire extinguisher case and a five-game "gentleman's sweep" at the hands of the eventual-champion Miami Heat.

All told, STAT's stats dropped precipitously?to 17.5 points, 7.9 rebounds and 1.1 assists, his worst numbers over the course of a full season since his rookie season with the Phoenix Suns. Carmelo's weren't particularly impressive, either, at least by his standards.

Chris Chambers/Getty Images
Which brings us to the present day. Jeremy Lin is off to Houston, replaced by Felton and Jason Kidd. Kurt Thomas and Marcus Camby are in, too, as much to bolster the bench as to solidify the Knicks' standing as a safe haven for AARP members in mesh shorts.

The change could be good for Stoudemire, though. He could certainly use a fresh start after all the mayhem and embarrassment of last season.

A normal offseason of rest, healing and training should serve him well, as should the arrivals of Felton and Kidd?two pass-first point guards who, for all of their flaws on and off the court, should better be able to facilitate an offense with scorers like 'Melo and Amar'e better than the ball-dominant Lin did.

A pick-and-roll here, a few wins there, and perhaps Stoudemire will be back in the good graces of those New York sports fans who disdain his decline and detest the fact that it'll cost the Knicks more than $65 million over the next three years to watch it continue.

Can Amar'e and Carmelo coexist successfully in New York?
Yes
No
Submit Vote vote to see results
Chances are, STAT's never going to be the perennial All-Star of old, or even the player he was when he had the spotlight at MSG all to himself. He'll be 30 in November, inhabiting a body that's been embrittled over the years by injuries and the usual wear-and-tear that comes with playing basketball professionally.

There's plenty of reason for optimism, though. He and Carmelo will finally have the benefit of a full training camp to work out the kinks of playing together, under the guidance of iso offense proponent Mike Woodson. He'll also have veteran backups like Thomas, Camby and Balkman on whom to rely if/when the time comes to depress his minutes.

Frankly, though, a big bounce-back campaign by Amar'e won't matter unless it leads to more wins?and something more than a blip in the playoff picture?for the Knicks. Stoudemire may describe himself as STAT ("Standing Tall And Talented), but he's not there just to pile up points and rebounds.

Or shouldn't be, anyway.

Nick Laham/Getty Images
Ultimately, the best way for Amar'e to mend fences with New Yorkers is to make the Knicks a respectable winning outfit that's fun to watch. That'll certainly require better production out of Stoudemire and, in turn, better bang-for-their-buck for the Knicks.

More importantly, Stoudemire will have to develop a more effective working relationship with Carmelo and turn himself into a key cog in a successful, if expensive, basketball machine.

That may not be enough to make him the king of New York again, but at least he'll be cheered rather than jeered by those who profess a love of the jersey he wears every night.

Forrest17

Rotation player
he needs to bring back the old glasses. His designer ones in 2012 were stupid. The 2010-11 were the glasses of a beast. They weren't fancy or dumb like the ones he was wearing last season.

KingCharles34

All Star
Amare is one guy that has always been able to get his against KG...if hes healthy and in shape in the playoffs he could be the key in a playoff series against the Oldtics

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
I think he comes back this season with a vengeance. Think about it. Last season with no training camp, he had a bad back. Lifted a bunch of weights. Gained 15-20 lbs of muscle. Which took away from his explosiveness, and lets be honest. That's what makes Amar'e great. Not D, or his jumper(which i hope he gets back, where people didn't know how to guard him in the 2010 season). His explosiveness, where you just can't keep up with that first step or that dunk off a pick. Now I saw an interview at summer league and he said he lost 15 lbs and is working hard on his game and his cardio doing 2 a days. Plus going to work out with Hakeem, so if he gets his stuff together and him and melo go through training camp and woody does we has to do. This team can go all the way. Amar'e and Felton are this teams biggest x-factors. If they played like they did in 2010... NYK = 2013 NBA CHAMPS

orangeblobman

Rotation player
I think he comes back this season with a vengeance. Think about it. Last season with no training camp, he had a bad back. Lifted a bunch of weights. Gained 15-20 lbs of muscle. Which took away from his explosiveness, and lets be honest. That's what makes Amar'e great. Not D, or his jumper(which i hope he gets back, where people didn't know how to guard him in the 2010 season). His explosiveness, where you just can't keep up with that first step or that dunk off a pick. Now I saw an interview at summer league and he said he lost 15 lbs and is working hard on his game and his cardio doing 2 a days. Plus going to work out with Hakeem, so if he gets his stuff together and him and melo go through training camp and woody does we has to do. This team can go all the way. Amar'e and Felton are this teams biggest x-factors. If they played like they did in 2010... NYK = 2013 NBA CHAMPS

He didn't gain 20 lbs of muscle and if he did, it would make him quicker because the extra weight is offset by greater strength

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

JaYnYcE

Benchwarmer
He didn't gain 20 lbs of muscle and if he did, it would make him quicker because the extra weight is offset by greater strength

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

If you're accustomed to playing at a certain weight and you gain 20 pounds of muscle it can slow you down. 20 pounds of anything is a lot for the body to handle over a course of a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kiyaman

Legend
Amare is one guy that has always been able to get his against KG...if hes healthy and in shape in the playoffs he could be the key in a playoff series against the Oldtics

The FACT still remain .. Amare became an injury-prone player when we added Carmelo Anthony to the Knicks .. I blame Dantoni .. untill Billups became an injury-prone player too .. in regular season & postseason.

I watched Amare in the playoffs with "gimmie da ball" teammates Marbury, Shaq, and Melo. And this has to be Amare's first time in his NBA career where he got so fed-up with the ISO-Melo BULLSHIIIAT that Amare reacted the same way Kenyon Martin reacted when being Melo's teammate in Denver .. by not wanting to be involve in the postseason games, Kenyon Martin used every tactic possible even argueing with coach Karl to be DNP from the postseason games, untill Billups came to Denver.

Players like Billups & Detroit crew, Amare & Phoenix crew, and Kenyon Martin & Nets crew, played hurt for 40 minutes in every postseason game on their previous teams.

Knicks fans didnt want to swallow the hard FACT truth about Marbury & Isiah in 2003-4-5-6 .. it took the 2007-8 season to wake-up Knicks fans.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back

Word up. Stat is the key to our team. If he's right and playing to his standards no way we don't make the finals