2012-13 Amar'e Stoudemire Player Performance and News thread

We'll be BETTER with STAT

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

welcometonycity

Rotation player
OK, ANYONE WHO IS NOT SKEPTICAL OF AMAR'E'S DEFENSIVE ABILITY, PLEASE STAND UP!

Ok, now that you're all sitting comfortable, let me speak my mind.

I'm as big of an 'Amar'e Defense Skeptic' as there is, but mark my words:

AMAR'E WILL DEFEND...AND DEFEND WELL

This player is not stupid. He has a gifted offensive game and beyond FREAK athletic ability. He is (was) in the best shape of his life coming into training camp and is BY FAR one of the hardest workers on the team, both on the court and off.

Mike Woodson writes 2 stats on the board before and after each game:

• Avg Pts Allowed
  • Avg FG% Allowed

Mikey Woodcack has made it abundantly clear what the goal for his team is:
To defend...
To rebound.....
To make the opposing team so nauseatingly sick of the Knicks suffocation tactics that they just pack it in and accept the L.

This isn't D'antoni's 'run-n-gun' from the 3PT (although we have taken a bunch of 3s so far).
This is accountability for yourself and your team on the DEFENSIVE END.
This is sharing the ball on the OFFENSIVE END.
This is being so facking unselfish that it makes other players and coaches sick with envy.

Amar'e sees this. Amar'e hears what people say. Amar'e reads what the media says. Amar'e knows his faults better than anybody.

If you think for one god damn second this man isn't motivated to help bring this team a championship by way of playing the same winning basketball that is currently happening, you're delusional.

STAT is coming. And he's eager to prove you wrong.

I personally can't wait to have the big fella back. This man wants a championship.
:gony:

amare-stoudemire.jpg

Ty dude. An Amare supporter.. (golf clap)

Cant help but respect Amare and his hard word this offseason. I also expect a strong comeback.

I mean 17 8 was his career worst right?

NicksKnicks

Rotation player
I just hope all his hard work has paid off and he can play alongside Melo and be productive without hindering what Melo has been doing. We are 3-0 without Amar'e, hopefully we will be 30-0 with him!

Not as excited as I was before we started the season for his return though...

smokes

Huge Member
I agree completely and I was going to post a thread just like this, so +1 for you sir.

Woodson IS NOT going to let Amare come in and play 30+ minutes of appalling defense.

If Amare does not buy in to the defensive team effort of the Knicks he will see his minutes and role diminish quickly. I am very excited to see Amare's return, a return to power.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Amar'e has to come in and do these things for us to be successful with him

-hit that mid range jumper at a great clip
-defend his ass off
-move without the ball and set screens for our perimeter players

very simple, very easy but will he do it man who the hell knows

CA7

Scoring Champ
We're gonna start STAT and likely Shumpert for 2 reasons, 1 that starting 5 is our 2013 starting 5 most likely and 2 small ball wont work all year long

I think we should do what Doc does with KG and give STAT 5/6 minute spurts to keep him fresh and healthy, I think thats whats best for our team

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Playing defense and getting boards are not entirely about athletic ability. It's about player's determination. Amare has never played defense in his entire career. I wonder what makes the OP think that he would start doing it now.

I do think Amare will make our offense more potent.
Well, maybe the fear of losing his job makes him do things we didn't think he's even capable of?

Oh, wait, his on a $60M/3 uninsured contract and is considered freaking injury prone, no way somebody's touching it, Amare's job is safe. :teeth:

smokes

Huge Member
Well, maybe the fear of losing his job makes him do things we didn't think he's even capable of?

Oh, wait, his on a $60M/3 uninsured contract and is considered freaking injury prone, no way somebody's touching it, Amare's job is safe. :teeth:

His money is safe, but his reputation and playing time are not.

Coach Woody is not bashful he will let Amare know if there's a problem.

Oh thank god someone posted something like this. I just hope Amare doesn't mess up what we have now. We could go 5-0 and even longer if we happen to beat spurs on their home court. I will kill somebody if he comes back and we lose 3 straight.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
There's a difference between Amare and Melo.

In prior games Melo has shown the propensity to play solid 1:1 defense when he wanted to. Amare has never shown me that he can defend even slightly above average players by himself.

Right now that's the difference between the two.

Amare has been working extensively with Hakeem so maybe this will bode well for him. Otherwise I don't really see there being that much hope for a change in his ability in this area.

New New York

Quiet Storm
I would have said you were crazy two weeks ago but I was watching the lone Pre Season game Stat played in I saw some real encouraging signs

Now..that Europe kid made him look like a D League player in a one on one situation, but in terms of team D I saw some nice stuff from Stat.

I saw communication and rotaion on Defense and help on the board.

now consider when he returns Wallace will possibly be much better and Camby should be more healthy plus Woody is bold enough to sit him if he does not play D then I think Stat will be motivated because it is going to be what keeps him on the floor.

What has me the most excited is getting that pick and roll game back with Felton....I appreciate the 3's falling now...but we can't win for long with shooting 20+ per game.

Stat would give us mid range shots and shots close to the basket which should help even more with 3 pt shooting but would help us not be totally reliant on them.

DrB

Benchwarmer
Agreed and his unit will be good as the starting 5..CAMBY WALLACE STAT PRIGIONI KIDD...
or JR Smith for KIDD
With
Copeland...for Wallace

gaknickfan

Benchwarmer
Playing defense and getting boards are not entirely about athletic ability. It's about player's determination. Amare has never played defense in his entire career. I wonder what makes the OP think that he would start doing it now.

I do think Amare will make our offense more potent.

we all said the same about Melo and look what he`s done so far ...... I do believe he will try ..... and give effort .... agree with OP ........ my only complaint with OP...... dude PLEASE DON`T USE GODS NAME IN VAIN !!!!! AND CAPS G IN GOD

zshopa

Benchwarmer
Lets hope amare plays defense, but heres the thing.

Amare does not need to be a great defender. just good. We still have tyson holding his own in the middle. but amare needs to get into all those hustle plays and scrambles for the ball, which i have never seen. So i personally dont know if amare can or cant play defense we just know that he doesnt.

Hopefully he is watching the knicks playing now and learning that party time on the defensive end just wont fly anymore..

moneyg

Starter
i'd be happy enough if he stops dribbling into traffic and turning the ball over...guaranteed.. our turnovers will increase when he is on the floor....play him off the bench with prigioni

skisloper

Starter
We're gonna start STAT and likely Shumpert for 2 reasons, 1 that starting 5 is our 2013 starting 5 most likely and 2 small ball wont work all year long

I think we should do what Doc does with KG and give STAT 5/6 minute spurts to keep him fresh and healthy, I think thats whats best for our team

Just no reason to start Stat......No need to disrupt the starting 5....just like JR bring him in and use him accordingly

welcometonycity

Rotation player
Stat will start. I heard Woody on 98.7 yesterday while i was stuck in jersey city. He said he doesnt believe a starting job should be lost due to injury. i agree, Stat worked hard ths offseason and deserves a chance to start when he comes back. If it dont work after a couple games Woody will use him off the bench its simple. He wont be shy.