2012-13 Amar'e Stoudemire Player Performance and News thread

We'll be BETTER with STAT

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kiyaman

Legend
The Lakers getting Amare for Pau .. the Lakers would be the winner of the trade .... the Knicks now have FOUR players that will give us what Pau Gasol brings to a team .. Tyson, Camby, Kurt, and Rasheed.

I will not be surprise this season when Amare comes back Melo take two weeks off with injury.

I recorded Amare's pre-season game loss vs Toronto Raptors .. the 4th quarter of that game with Melo taking every shot on the offensive-end were to much to bare...

nuckles2k2

Superstar
The Lakers getting Amare for Pau .. the Lakers would be the winner of the trade .... the Knicks now have FOUR players that will give us what Pau Gasol brings to a team .. Tyson, Camby, Kurt, and Rasheed.

I will not be surprise this season when Amare comes back Melo take two weeks off with injury.

I recorded Amare's pre-season game loss vs Toronto Raptors .. the 4th quarter of that game with Melo taking every shot on the offensive-end were to much to bare...

I'm not saying the trade is realistic...but what's your argument against condensing what 4 people do, into one guy?

You're right, Pau brings a bit of what Tyson, Camby, Kurt, and Sheed brings to the team. Guess which 4 players on the Knicks will never be out there at the same time? ....Tyson, Camby, Kurt, and Sheed. Unless we trot 7 or 8 guys out there and pray no one notices.

If you can add a big who boards on both ends, has good handles for a guy 7'', a great interior passer, blocks shots, good weak side defender at the rim, plays decent post-D, posts up, can hit mid range shots at a pretty good clip, and knows how to play big - keep the ball above your shoulders to avoid those silly ass turnovers in the paint...how in the world do you justify not exploring getting that guy because you have 4 bodies that can do those things...that will never be on the court all at the same time?

As it is, you're giving up some of those skills when certain Knicks are on the bench. If you have Pau, you have all of those skills on the court at your disposal, and when he sits, you still have viable options to come in for him.

I'm not even gonna bring up Stoudemire. I just don't understand the logic of "we have 4 different guys, with varying skill-sets, that will never be out there at the same time....we don't need the versatile guy that can do everything they can for 30-35 mins a game."

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Lol you're still so down on Melo Kiya. He's doin better atm.

May be time to cut him some slack.

Kiyaman

Legend
Wasn't Amar'e one of the players on the Knicks that were disappointed that D'antoni had quit last season? Amar'e was signed by the Knicks because he was a D'antoni type of player that had past success under his system. Walsh's plan was for Mike D'antoni to have the right players to win a championship.

And Dwight Howard hugging Stan Van Gundy to show he had nothing to do with the firing SVG at end of season must be ledgit lol

Donnie Walsh was/is stupid and a Dum-Dum like owner Dolan .. in 2010 offseason the Knicks did not need anymore fowards .. we needed a Star PG, or a Star SG, or a star center

Kiyaman

Legend
I'm not saying the trade is realistic...but what's your argument against condensing what 4 people do, into one guy?

You're right, Pau brings a bit of what Tyson, Camby, Kurt, and Sheed brings to the team. Guess which 4 players on the Knicks will never be out there at the same time? ....Tyson, Camby, Kurt, and Sheed. Unless we trot 7 or 8 guys out there and pray no one notices.

If you can add a big who boards on both ends, has good handles for a guy 7'', a great interior passer, blocks shots, good weak side defender at the rim, plays decent post-D, posts up, can hit mid range shots at a pretty good clip, and knows how to play big - keep the ball above your shoulders to avoid those silly ass turnovers in the paint...how in the world do you justify not exploring getting that guy because you have 4 bodies that can do those things...that will never be on the court all at the same time?

As it is, you're giving up some of those skills when certain Knicks are on the bench. If you have Pau, you have all of those skills on the court at your disposal, and when he sits, you still have viable options to come in for him.

I'm not even gonna bring up Stoudemire. I just don't understand the logic of "we have 4 different guys, with varying skill-sets, that will never be out there at the same time....we don't need the versatile guy that can do everything they can for 30-35 mins a game."

Dont get me wrong .. Pau would be a great addition to our bigmen frontcourt rotation, plus Pau's halfcourt game would fit well with Melo.
Pau career perfomance has not reach the skill-set of Rasheed Wallace career performance ....

u are mentioning the Pau Gasol in 2006 to 2009 who did all those things 32 minutes per game .. the 2010-11 Paul Gasol slowed-down to become a Halfcourt setting center u would put in a 4-man frontcourt rotation (PF & Center) for Pau team to be a contender.

Let's see what amare does when he comes back from injury first and if he does uss more harm then good then I think we should make a push for josh smith or paul milsap

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
It's funny that Laker and Knicks fans feel the exact same way about their All star PF's.

With Amare I actually think he'll play well when he returns I would be concerned with his health. Everytime he starts to play well or the Knicks really need a 2nd scorer he gets an injury and then the cycle continues.

Gasol just looks out of it for some reason he doesn't have any intensity or urgency to his game and a trade might reignite him.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
Im a big fan of the old Stat but this Stat is useless and is eating up our cap space. Even when hes healthy hes a liability on defense and his offense aint even close to what it was. I cant even count how many times i saw him get blocked, get called for a charge, or turn the ball over last year. Stat looks like hes about 35 years old out there. Even when he does come back, its very reasonable to question how long it will be before hes out again. Nothing im saying here is unfair.

At the same time if he comes back and gets himself together offensively he could still help us. But we'd also need him to be an average defender. Thats not asking too much but I have seen very little from him to suggest he can even do that. I wanna root for the guy but he hasnt made it easy since the first half of his first year here...before Dantoni put the finishing touch on Amarknee's knees'

I like Amare and I think his on the court problems were just a rough season last year I think he deserves atleast a 2nd chance to see some on court performance to determine whether he's done or not. But to me his health and actually staying on the court is the biggest concern or problem.

Red

TYPE-A
We'll be better WITH STAT

act_amare_stoudemire.jpg

I think STAT can help.

We still aren't playing our best ball. Shump is out and our bigs aren't putting up numbers, specifically at the 4 (unless it's Melo, and I consider that out-of-position). We could use production out of the 4 and STAT should be better than our reserves.

Also, coach has transformed our players outlook and approach to defense. Melo, JR,... everyone has bought in, so STAT cannot loaf.

At full strength, the Knicks with STAT (playing at his best) are formidable. I say this knowing how disappointed I've been with STAT, and after analyzing us so far.

We have benefitted partly from teams being hurt and undersized. I think with STAT and us clicking, NO ONE will want to see us. Meaning us at 100%.

I love our early stats but I see room for improvement (sounds crazy being 5-0). That is how WE have to see this; we cannot be satisfied, we must find our weakness and get stronger. I believe when STAT fits in, Novak wakes up, and [if] Shump returns to full strength, we can go deep. Now it's "anyone can get hot" time. That can lead to us being cold, and having no contingencies when things aren't clicking.

When we finally forge our identity/rotation etc..., STAT can be another weapon, as he is our best PF. Sheed and co. can hold it down, but STAT should be better. I hope.

That includes defense and rebounding. Finally, if we don't work STAT back in to the fold, and we keep ascending without him... it will alienate him and we might lose his heart (meaning his toughness and guile) forever. That would be a waste of $ and an asset.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I voted negative, but would like to make it clear that I don't doubt his potential. All I doubt is his IQ and desire.

Playing well and at 100% will be more about mentality than physicality with Amar'e, and the amount of 'smarts' he brings. Can't hold out a lot of hope, TBH.

TakMan

Rotation player
Stoudemire will definitely add a dimension to our offence. Considering his past chemistry with Felton, the Knicks should be covered with regards to the offensive options they have. Whether it's a Felton-STAT pick 'n roll, or an Anthony ISO; perhaps even JR for three, this is a formidable force when attacking. I'm not worried about the chemistry as we now have three very clever players who can run the floor. Last year's main issue was that Toney Douglas initially played the point, and was later replaced by Jeremy Lin who -although a slight upgrade- was never good enough to utilise the players this team has. We now have proper PG's and we can expect far better results when attacking.

Wargames

Starter
No and pau isn't a clear upgrade (he take about 3 games off for every elite game he plays) but its a good question to annoy laker fans with.

YuvalNYC

Rotation player
We need STAT to come off the bench with JR, Novak,Brewer/Shump and Camby/Wallace

Best team in the NBA.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Stoudemire will definitely add a dimension to our offence. Considering his past chemistry with Felton, the Knicks should be covered with regards to the offensive options they have.

Chandler runs the P&R (in terms of setting picks and rolling) much better than Amar'e does. And, as we all know, finishes OOPs better than the vast majority of 5s in the game. Ray's better off in a 2 man P&D off the P&R with Tyson. STAT's one advantage over Tyson through both of their entire, complete games is his range.....if he brings that in to the offence with consistency and execution, along with a legit triple threat individual game, then we've got something to add to the argument. Last year's efforts from range didn't exactly make a boast for his form from 15-18 feet out.

p0nder

Starter
STAT is a better PNR finisher then tyson. He gets to the line more, finishes more and, as you mentioned, has pick n pop from range ability.

He brings a lot to the offensive end and if he commits to defense and rebounding then he will be a force once he returns. I know he is dying to get out on the floor and show off his new stuff. he'll be a great player for us this year and all the doubters will get their comeuppance. I'm honestly not worried about STAT getting back into the fold. This team is so damn good.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
STAT is a better PNR finisher then tyson. He gets to the line more, finishes more and, as you mentioned, has pick n pop from range ability.

He brings a lot to the offensive end and if he commits to defense and rebounding then he will be a force once he returns. I know he is dying to get out on the floor and show off his new stuff. he'll be a great player for us this year and all the doubters will get their comeuppance. I'm honestly not worried about STAT getting back into the fold. This team is so damn good.

He doesn't roll half as well as Tyson, and the last thing we need out of him @ 6'11, 250 with athleticism is for him to play stretch P&R shooter. We need a beast! Not a vagina full of yeast.

TakMan

Rotation player
Crazy⑧s;253551 said:
Chandler runs the P&R (in terms of setting picks and rolling) much better than Amar'e does. And, as we all know, finishes OOPs better than the vast majority of 5s in the game. Ray's better off in a 2 man P&D off the P&R with Tyson. STAT's one advantage over Tyson through both of their entire, complete games is his range.....if he brings that in to the offence with consistency and execution, along with a legit triple threat individual game, then we've got something to add to the argument. Last year's efforts from range didn't exactly make a boast for his form from 15-18 feet out.

I don't think last year should be a basis for assessing any player. It was a strange season and I think the Rockets made the mistake of reading too much into it (hence the Lin poison pill). I also think that Stoudemire is more comfortable on the P&R than Chandler is (Stoudemire being the more experienced in terms of working with PG's on offence). I definitely agree about his mid range shooting though. If he brings his 2010-11 form to the table then that's just brilliant; and if he's picked up one tenth of what Olajuwon taught him over the summer then we're just talking icing on a very big cake.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I don't think last year should be a basis for assessing any player. It was a strange season and I think the Rockets made the mistake of reading too much into it (hence the Lin poison pill). I also think that Stoudemire is more comfortable on the P&R than Chandler is (Stoudemire being the more experienced in terms of working with PG's on offence). I definitely agree about his mid range shooting though. If he brings his 2010-11 form to the table then that's just brilliant; and if he's picked up one tenth of what Olajuwon taught him over the summer then we're just talking icing on a very big cake.

Yeah, I know I'm being the pessimist, but STAT's been a letdown at so many stages throughout the last year+. I can't dig assumptions backing him as a changed player entirely. He put in the work, but what has that brought to his team game, I wonder. :shrug: Leopards and spots, IMO.

Starks

Starter
I'm not sure how well Amare is going to fit in. When Woody said that all players need to check their egos at the door, its seemed like a thinly veiled message to Stat. I think we all have seen how much better Melo plays at the 4 and there's no way I would obstruct that. Stat can be a great asset off the bench but I highly doubt he's going to be okay with that, even if he says he is. He's an emotional guy who wears his heart on his sleeve and it won't be good to have him sulking and playing at half speed.