Page 1 of 12 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-13 Mike Woodson Coaching Performance Thread

Nyk Logo The Official Mike Woodson Appreciation Thread

I realize that there are a couple of Woody threads already. I also understand that it's still too early to evaluate his work as the Knicks head coach. Nonetheless some of you may agree that there are things Woodson already deserves props for. And that's why I would like to name several points that have changed dramatically since Woodson has been in charge.

- after D'Antoni resigned I finally feel we have a REAL coach. I don't know how about you, but I never really understood MDA, every time he was addressing the media I was trying to figure out what he was talking about. Woodson is very straight in that matter, he always makes clear what the problem is and how to solve it.

- locker room presence. We all know D'Antoni never wanted to clash with any of his players. He'd rather step aside than look for an argument. Woodson is way different, he demands things and "makes damn sure" his players are doing what they are supposed to. He doesn't mind clashing with anyone, doesn't matter it's a $450K bench warmer or $20M superstar.

- Woodson is a complete coach. D'Antoni was rather one dimensional while Woody, despite being a defense first coach, also takes care of the other end of the court.

- equality, how many times did we see D'Antoni screaming at Douglas and making excuses for our stars? Woodson doesn't care about how much money you make or what is your celebrity status, if you're not giving enough effort you can be damn sure Woody will jump all over you.
    Last edited by Crazy⑧s; Dec 05, 2012 at 05:59.

Veteran

Someone needs to start another "The Official Mike D'Antoni Appreciation Thread" and thank him for GTFO New York. I was wondering what the team was missing, whether it was chemistry the wrong guys starting or whatever and it turns out it was D'Antoni himself.

Thumbs up

Finally, we have a chance to see our squad live up to their potential.

Our core players are no longer neutered as a conseqence of an unprooven system.

Thanks Woody.

Good teams have talent. Great teams have consistency. This along with leadership are our biggest obstacles, and so far so good.

Woody and the Knicks have achieved something not done by a coach replaced mid-season by winning by a combined 90 points. Our win streak, team stats, and the oppositions reaction (see Toronto Raptors head coach's comments) substantiate those of us opinions who supected MDA as the biggest weak-link on this team.

We told you so.

Woody Doing his thing.

How nice is it to see in game adjustments?

Default How Wonderful.....

How wonderful it is to see a coach calling timeouts instead of letting the players just play.

How wonderful to see the coach making timely substitutions!

How wonderful it is to see our coach put shump on the most dangerous player to lock him down. (Shump Island)

You get the idea what else is wonderful?

How wonderful you could of put this in the woodson appreciation thread

Originally Posted by Almost_famous718
    How wonderful you could of put this in the woodson appreciation thread

The Dark Wood is already feeling the inner beast of this team as the playoffs near.

They have a legitimate shot to win the title. When the playoffs come around, itís open season. Whoís playing the hardest, the best Ö who believes that they can really get it done.

Homecourt and all that goes out the door. Itís great to have homecourt, but hey, we (2004 Pistons) didnít have it in the Eastern Conference Final that year, and we ended up beating the Pacers. We didnít have it in the Finals that year, and we beat the Lakers Öand if these guys are honest with themselves, and hold each other accountable, their credibility is rolliní high, man, anything can happen in a playoff series. Anything.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/four_games_into_his_regime_mike_woodson_thinks_the _knicks_could_win_a_nba_title_this_year/10367527

Veteran

Default quote from coach Collins after their lost to the Knicks

"Miami and Chicago doesn't want to see New York at 7 or 8, I can guarantee that, They're loaded. They just cracked Indiana twice, and Indiana is a good team". - Collins, Philly76's

lmao, oh yeah...here we go.

But D'antoni is still the better coach because he took a team to the conference finals while Woodson couldn't take a team past the second round.

Superstar

Originally Posted by Oakman88
    How wonderful it is to see a coach calling timeouts instead of letting the players just play.

How wonderful to see the coach making timely substitutions!

How wonderful it is to see our coach put shump on the most dangerous player to lock him down. (Shump Island)

You get the idea what else is wonderful?

That pretty much summed it up, .Thank you woody.

Originally Posted by knicksin60
    But D'antoni is still the better coach because he took a team to the conference finals while Woodson couldn't take a team past the second round.
    Not really. He was probably a better coach for those group of guys. Coaching should extend past a particular group of players to substantiate worth.

For instance, Spoelstra made it to the finals last year but I'm sure most people will feel Thibs is a better coach. Understand? It's not just about how far you've been in the playoffs.

Veteran

Originally Posted by knicksin60
    Different teams, defferent results. With that said. Mike D'Ant had this team and couldn't lead them. Mike Woodson has it now and is doing a much better job.

so yes...Mike 2.0 is an upgrade and I'm sure he will get impressive results out of this team during the playoffs.

Veteran

Originally Posted by Real NY Baller
    Different teams, defferent results. With that said. Mike D'Ant had this team and couldn't lead them. Mike Woodson has it now and is doing a much better job.

so yes...Mike 2.0 is an upgrade and I'm sure he will get impressive results out of this team during the playoffs.
    Agreed.

Except for the last part.

I think we need to (and will) replace Woodson ASAP. But if you want to chalk up the ratcheted up intensity and effort (aka: that which should be normal) to Woodson, which isn't unfair, he should indeed get major props for that.

But I don't see him as a long-term solution for us. Unless we beast in the playoffs, and Jackson and Sloan and Calipari spurn us, I don't think he'll be here long-term either.

Veteran

Originally Posted by iSaYughh
    Agreed.

Except for the last part.

I think we need to (and will) replace Woodson ASAP. But if you want to chalk up the ratcheted up intensity and effort (aka: that which should be normal) to Woodson, which isn't unfair, he should indeed get major props for that.

But I don't see him as a long-term solution for us. Unless we beast in the playoffs, and Jackson and Sloan and Calipari spurn us, I don't think he'll be here long-term either.
    Defense wins Chips. We have the talent to excel on both ends of the court. Woodson's strenghts will be on display in the playoffs if you do not see them by now. The players respect him and they have no problem following his lead. We will go deep if we continue to play the way we are playing now. I think Mike 2.0 will break his foot off in somone's ass b4 he gets fired or steps down.