Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: 2012-13 Mike Woodson Coaching Performance Thread

People are still so angry/volatile over MDA.

He's gone.

To think that Woodson helped MDA with the defense, but that nothing MDA did helped Woodson I think is a bit naive.

But he's gone now.

Can't we just enjoy this team without bickering over an old coach?

I'm sure some person on here is willing to argue about JVG or Lenny Wilkens if I brought either of them up.

Woodson uses alot of the spacing MDA employed when he was with the Knicks.

He has clearly benefitted from working under D' ant.

Not to deminish the impact that other coaches have had on him, but to say that MDA hasn't had an influence would be preposterous.

How many pick and rolls with guys spaced along the 3 pt line the same way do we have to run for people to see/admit this.

Admittedly, the offense looks more effective because we move the ball better and due to personel reason and also because we have complete buy in from Melo.

I wish I knew where to find Rex Ryan's MDA

Originally Posted by GordonGecko
    Tony Spor......OOPS!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by knicksin60
    Mike D'antoni doesn't deserve credit for anything. He promised to make the Knicks competitive in his first two years as coach for them and did just as bad of a job as Isiah Thomas did. His excuse was that he couldn't win without star players. He needed to have top 10 players in order to duplicate the success that he had with the Phoenix Suns.

He was then given Amar'e Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony and led the Knicks to a first round sweep in his third season and nearly caused the Knicks to miss the playoffs last season.His second excuse was that he couldn't win with Carmelo Anthony leading the offense and needed a dominating PG to prove how his system could lead a team to a title. Apparently he couldn't win with just any superstar but needed certain superstars to win.

In his close to four year stint with the Knicks, D'antoni's coaching record was 121-167 with zero playoff wins and had the Knicks finish in the top 8 of worst defensive teams in the NBA his first three seasons with them. And on top of that he benched players that would have helped the Knicks win games.

It is sad how people look for ways to praise this guy long after he is no longer here and are quick to dismiss his flaws. To say that Mike Woodson's current success is due to Mike D'antoni is an insult and can only come from the mind of a D'antoni defender, no offense to the OP of this thread.

D'antoni resigning and Woodson taking over for him was one of the best things to happen to this franchise. The Knicks no longer had to deal with an incompetent coach who miscoached a talented group of players to underacheive. They replaced him with a guy who knows how to communicate with all of his players and knows that defense is what wins championships not an offensive system that only certain players could play under.
    Dude, D'Antoni was a train wreck but let's be objective about this

If you watch our offense, you see lots of pick and roll, lots of screens, much of the stuff D'Antoni did, Woodson kept along....He even said himself he likes to borrow from other coaches and that every coach in the league does this from time to time.

Woodson scrapped the "Iso-Joe" offense and is using a hybrid of D'Antoni's schemes mixed in with some stuff of his own.

Woodson is 10000 times better than D'Antoni as a leader of men, making in-game adjustments, managing rotations, dealing out minutes, etc, but to say he learned NOTHING from D'Antoni offensively would be naive.

It's okay, you can admit Woodson learned something from D'Antoni and think D'Antoni is a sh*tstain at the same time

Not sure why some aren't willing to give credit where credit is due. Woodson has been on record saying that Mike D taught him a lot about the offensive side of the ball and the many variations of the pick and roll that he admittedly says he uses with his current play book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by carlito1171
    Dude, D'Antoni was a train wreck but let's be objective about this

If you watch our offense, you see lots of pick and roll, lots of screens, much of the stuff D'Antoni did, Woodson kept along....He even said himself he likes to borrow from other coaches and that every coach in the league does this from time to time.

Woodson scrapped the "Iso-Joe" offense and is using a hybrid of D'Antoni's schemes mixed in with some stuff of his own.

Woodson is 10000 times better than D'Antoni as a leader of men, making in-game adjustments, managing rotations, dealing out minutes, etc, but to say he learned NOTHING from D'Antoni offensively would be naive.

It's okay, you can admit Woodson learned something from D'Antoni and think D'Antoni is a sh*tstain at the same time
    I am not denying that Woodson learned something from D'antoni. I just don't believe that Mike D'antoni should be accredited with being the person that made Woodson into a good coach. Putting him on such a high pedestle is ridiculous. I understand that there are Knicks fans who will look for things to praise D'antoni for but sometimes people have to move on.

+1

+2

+3,000!!!!!

Sent from my LG-P999

super coach.. im a big fan of woodson but his playoff record is mediocre

i wouldn't call him a super coach but he sure is the RIGHT coach for this Knicks Squad

phil jackson, Doc rivers, thibs, and Greg pop are guys i'd call SUPERCOACHES

He's been pretty mediocre these past few games

@NYK_Re: what is the criteria for supercoach? how does Thibs get in there?

I don't think I will consider woodson a supercoach until he's running a dynasty here in NY. I think it's possible and I like what he is doing but I don't know if he will have the staying power or say Pops, Doc or Phil Jackson. I'm willing to overlook the mismatched roster years of ATL if he can find continued success with the knicks over the next few years.

As far as D'antoni making Wodson a great coach: Woodson was a successful headcoach in his own right before he was brought in as a "defensive speacilist" But really he was brought in as successor to D'antoni (should he fail) and to try and help light a fire under d'antoni's ass. Woodson certainly took many things from D'antoni along with his job. This included having to work with his offense last year and this year using a lot of the same fundamental offensive approaches that D'antoni used (3's, floor spacing, open looks early) Woodson still likes to Iso-Melo especially to grind out games or to try and spark melo into full concentrated effort. But you see much less of his iso game then we did in ATL and it's a big improvement in Woodson's coaching style. Mostly I think Woodson learned how to be a better "Player" coach and allows his veterans to have freedom on and off the court which has led to a better chemistry between all the players and coaching staff.

Still, my favorite thing about Woodson is his willingness to get active with the team. He goes out doing laps for limiting turnovers and that's just cool. I think i'm gonna steal that from woodson and use it on some of my players.

Originally Posted by NYCLakerfan
    He's been pretty mediocre these past few games
    That's because for as good as he can be, he's also pretty stupid. He won all those games by using a deep rotation and using the whole bench. Then in big games for some unknown reason he leans on his starters until they're gassed and can't pull out the win anymore. It's like he gets scared of big games and spazzes out, which would explain why he's got a track record of choking in the playoffs

Veteran

That's because for as good as he can be, he's also pretty stupid. He won all those games by using a deep rotation and using the whole bench. Then in big games for some unknown reason he leans on his starters until they're gassed and can't pull out the win anymore. It's like he gets scared of big games and spazzes out, which would explain why he's got a track record of choking in the playoffs
    Well said. Woodson coaches scared in the big games. He kind of closes his eyes and prays something will happen. Why in the Nets game does he not play Pablo when Felton was horrible and clearly tired ?
    Woodson does this with JR and with a deep bench he needs to be smarter.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by skisloper
    Well said. Woodson coaches scared in the big games. He kind of closes his eyes and prays something will happen. Why in the Nets game does he not play Pablo when Felton was horrible and clearly tired ?
    Woodson does this with JR and with a deep bench he needs to be smarter.
    I notice this also, and it worries me. I just wish he can develop and make these adjustments before we're out of a game like against Memphis. The Melo guarding Gasol and playing PF against a big lineup really killed us.

WOODY NOT WORRIED ABOUT AWARDS: Some Knicks fans were upset that Brooklyn's Avery Johnson won the Eastern Conference Coach of the Month Award over Mike Woodson on Monday.

But Woodson wasn't too worried about it.

"I'm not into accolades, I'm all about trying to win an NBA title and winning our division and trying to host first round at home when we start the playoffs," Woodson said after Tuesday's practice. "Congratulations to Avery. But it's what it is man, I just like being where we are as a team. That's what it's all about."

F'ing legend.