2012-13 Mike Woodson Coaching Performance Thread

smokes

Huge Member
I like Woodson, he's obviously doing a great job with our team at the moment.

Prior to yesterday I was on the fence about his coaching (I can't say I'm an expert on Woodson), but vs the Sixers he appeared to make pretty much all the right decisions down the stretch to help us eek out the win. I was really worried about the non-use of Chandler but it worked so what can I say?

A lot of people have been saying that the main difference then and now, is that the players are actually giving 100% now and weren't for MDA. Obviously some of that is true. But it's not only that. Woodson's accountability stance has clearly made the difference if not for getting Melo to play a better all around game, then most definitely for getting STAT to actually play defense.

And in regards to how the players should have been giving their all for MDA I think people are seeing things very black and white.

Of course on one hand, when you're getting paid $100 million you should give it your all. However if we consider that Melo and STAT DO actually want to win in the NBA (something people have doubted of late), it was clear to most people that it was not going to happen while our roster was hamstrung by an incompatible coach.

I called it down the stretch last year and specifically during the playoffs that MDA had lost the players. He may have got most of them back for this year but it was never going to end well. I'm honestly not surprised that a couple of our players were not playing up to scratch when there was a clear rift there.

So in summary, yes the players actually giving 100% is a big part of our recent success but without doubt Woodson is an improvement in terms of:

- Running plays (especially out of dead balls)
- Substitution patterns
- Demanding defense
- Calling timeouts (was probably the reason we called better timeouts under MDA this season)

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
LOL, found this pic somewhere on Twitter:

539622008.jpg
classic worth some rep

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
I like Woodson, he's obviously doing a great job with our team at the moment.

Prior to yesterday I was on the fence about his coaching (I can't say I'm an expert on Woodson), but vs the Sixers he appeared to make pretty much all the right decisions down the stretch to help us eek out the win. I was really worried about the non-use of Chandler but it worked so what can I say?

A lot of people have been saying that the main difference then and now, is that the players are actually giving 100% now and weren't for MDA. Obviously some of that is true. But it's not only that. Woodson's accountability stance has clearly made the difference if not for getting Melo to play a better all around game, then most definitely for getting STAT to actually play defense.

And in regards to how the players should have been giving their all for MDA I think people are seeing things very black and white.

Of course on one hand, when you're getting paid $100 million you should give it your all. However if we consider that Melo and STAT DO actually want to win in the NBA (something people have doubted of late), it was clear to most people that it was not going to happen while our roster was hamstrung by an incompatible coach.

I called it down the stretch last year and specifically during the playoffs that MDA had lost the players. He may have got most of them back for this year but it was never going to end well. I'm honestly not surprised that a couple of our players were not playing up to scratch when there was a clear rift there.

So in summary, yes the players actually giving 100% is a big part of our recent success but without doubt Woodson is an improvement in terms of:

- Running plays (especially out of dead balls)
- Substitution patterns
- Demanding defense
- Calling timeouts (was probably the reason we called better timeouts under MDA this season)
:agreed: Great post right here, nice observations worth some green

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Agreed.

Except for the last part.

I think we need to (and will) replace Woodson ASAP. But if you want to chalk up the ratcheted up intensity and effort (aka: that which should be normal) to Woodson, which isn't unfair, he should indeed get major props for that.

But I don't see him as a long-term solution for us. Unless we beast in the playoffs, and Jackson and Sloan and Calipari spurn us, I don't think he'll be here long-term either.

I hope you're wrong.

The last thing I want to see is John ****ing Calipari in here again.

College coaches who move into pro sports generally suck ass, and Calipari is probably no exception. He's a great recruiter and bleh coach in college, and most college coaches wouldn't even come close to being able to handle their shit here in the NBA.

If Woodson blows it in the playoffs, then I want to see either Phil Jackson or Ron Adams (currently an assistant with the Bulls) as our HC. I'd rather have MDA over John Calipari frankly.

iSaYughh

Starter
I hope you're wrong.

The last thing I want to see is John ****ing Calipari in here again.

College coaches who move into pro sports generally suck ass, and Calipari is probably no exception. He's a great recruiter and bleh coach in college, and most college coaches wouldn't even come close to being able to handle their shit here in the NBA.

If Woodson blows it in the playoffs, then I want to see either Phil Jackson or Ron Adams (currently an assistant with the Bulls) as our HC. I'd rather have MDA over John Calipari frankly.

I agree about Calipari -- I don't want him here again, either. But if we bomb in the playoffs (or don't make)...and we whiff on the big boys (Jax, Sloan...), would it really surprise ya if Dolan made a big push for Calipari? Granted, idk if he'd want to come here....but $ is a powerful thing.

That's a really interesting call on Ron Adams. I gotta look into more myself. But there really is a clear trend of high caliber assistant coaches getting groomed on top tier franchises and then exploding (now that I think about it, Popovich himself actually was an assistant coach, a la Thibs, who then catapulted as elite head coach).

Our only chance of Jackson coming, IMO, is if we perform very respectably as a franchise, and we end our season/playoffs with Amare and Melo not looking shot in the slightest. Jax really could be the ultimate coach for this team. He possesses what I liked about D'antoni (and which most coaches don't have, IMO, which is a true intelligence for basketball and cutting edge theories), but is elite in the areas which D'antoni has weaknesses in, and which were a brutal fit for this current squad.

Red

TYPE-A
Crawl out of your hole, Ginger; people like myself have made it so people like you can get free samples of meds that can make you think good and talk pretty one day.

Also, unlike a societal rodent like you....when I don't have Time Warner for a few weeks....I.....go to a friends house or walk outside my apartment and pick one of 100 bars in a 1/2 mile radius showing the game :lol:

It's mad funny (and fairly pitiful) you still remember and cling on to a few posts I had a while back about not watching a game or two because of Time Warner. :rofl:

Nice try, though?

Now hop off my dick and get back on your fathers.

Save the basketball discussions for men and people with some brains. You can keep being a good cheerleader for your causes du jour. I will keep rooting for my team's success regardless of coach, and enjoying myself along the way.

Watch that mascara... you're too emo!
The truth hurts doesn't it? Well young man (or woman) that's what happens when you lack accountability, just like your beloved (jettisoned) coach. No one respects you. Only real men can admit when they're wrong.

Here's more truth:

After reading the garbage you posted in the past, I had a feeling you didn't even watch. I didn't openly question you, but I had my suspicions.

I kept saying, "damn, did this guy (or girl) watch the game?", and that was strictly based on your responses; they seemed vague and just way off base.

Then I said to myself, "who would argue so much, try and put their two cents in, and be so desparate without watching?"... "it can't be true, it would make no sense"

Then one day in a game thread I thought I read that you couldn't watch the games (Time Warner). And there you were rambling on and on (see above)...

Then it occured to me... the reason why you sounded so ignorant and off-point was because you didn't even watch. My suspecions confirmed.

You sir are so desparate to interject in a discussion, so hell bent on being included, that you began arguing on something you didn't even see.

Pathetic.

"Watch the throne, don't step on our robe...

It's bad enough we let you step on our globe"

Fellow KOL posters, Isayughh has been exposed. Take a look back at some of his ignorant posts (pre-time warner dispute) and take it with a grain of salt...

This dummy didn't even watch the game.

Thanks Ughh!:thumbsup:

I'm laughing so hard at you right now! Good Lookin'

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Woodson got Amar'e and Melo to actually try on defense...he solved the problem that George Karl and Mike D'Antoni simply could not

Sage

Rotation player
Copy/paste from Knicksnow (cos I'm lazy)...

I hope Woodson can continue on as coach. I think he has a great rapport with the players and has their respect. He's also very well spoken and clear about what he's trying to get across to the players and press.

I don't want to kick a man when he's down but D'Antoni wouldn't do that, he'd roll off catch phrases like "We've just got to play harder".

Kiyaman

Legend
But D'antoni is still the better coach because he took a team to the conference finals while Woodson couldn't take a team past the second round.

Woodson took a 28 win Atlanta Hawks team and turn them into a 52 win team....Dantoni took over a 44 win Phoenix Suns team that beat the Championship Spurs the first two games in a series under headcoach George Johnson who let a selfish Marbury take all the shots in the 4th quarter to lose that series.

Dantoni is still the WORST coach in the NBA....guys like u keep getting Shawn Matrix Marion team-leadership mixed up with the headcoach performance. That's Bad! Kidd & Marion ran the SSOL in Phoenix....Kidd took the Nets to consecutive trips to the FINALS on the SSOL style. A 30+ minute Kidd & Marion won a Championship Ring last season in Dallas.
Hint: The Phoenix Suns traded Shawn Marion and 3 months later Dantoni was FIRED.

I was waiting for Mike Woodson 10th game as headcoach to evaluate his coaching style....but a 8-1 record calls for an early evaluation.
I know I been mentioning the Knicks going on a WIN streak after firing "Celebrity coach Dantoni" the past 4 years, plus I did call "Mike Woodson First" winning 8 of his first 10 games as Knicks headcoach (8-1).
:thumbsup: Woody did it in 9 games! :thumbsup:

Mike Woodson first duty as headcoach was to change the Knicks ridiculous "SYSTEM" of a 7+ Man rotation using 1 lineup for 48 minutes, while 7 players rest on the bench each game knowing they will not get any playingtime.
Woodson threw that phoney SYSTEM out the door, to suprise all the Knicks players his first game by giving "TEN-PLAYERS" playingtime in the first half of the game....giving players a reason to workup a hard-sweat in practice GELLING as a team.

I still blame assistant-coach Woody for letting Dantoni almost ruin 6.10 big-body rookie Jorts future in the NBA by positioning Jorts to stand on the 3-ball line everytime on the offensive-end of the court to take 3-ball shots so he could rank in the lowest bigman FG percentage in his rookie season....now in March, Jorts misses easy layups every game, but its nice to see Woody have Jorts screening, picking, and boxing-out on the offensive end of the court. Woody have confidence in rookie Jorts improving through playingtime....I also blame assistant Woody for not having any interest in preparing 7.0 rookie Jordan in the past 4 months to be able to backup Tyson Chandler for a few minutes a game. Jordan being sent to the Erie D.League several times showed very little training interest from the Knicks coaching-staff, when Jordan just need timing, positioning, and a couple of teammates to GELL with consistantly.

metrocard

Legend
Our HC, defensive minded, no smiles, and Mr. Potato replica.

Do you feel MW can lead the Knicks out of the first round and get the most out of his players?

Do you feel MW caters too much to Melo-ball and doesn't have a clue what he wants to do with this team offensively?

Mike Woodson for potential COY in 2012-13?

orangeblobman

Rotation player
COY? No chance.

Woodson poses a strong challenge to Carmelo for playoffs futility. His Atlanta teams were not just eliminated, they were butt raped in their series losses.

I think his average number of wins with Atlanta over 6 years was something like 35 wins per year, with a single 50-win season.

Last year he looked good because teams generally play better after a coaching change; the air is clear and people breathe better, but starting from scratch this year will be a different story for him. I have very little confidence in Coach Woody as our leader.

It's been overlooked, but Woody betrayed some immaturity and foolishness when he publicly stated that Lin would start for us next year. He played our hand when it really wasn't his business to play it, and I think his comments were instrumental in the Rockets boosting their offer.

The guy's offensive philosophy is "give it to Melo", and I think this can work for a winning record over the regular season, but when adjustments have to be made in the heat of the playoffs, this is where his coaching will be most exposed. We saw the Heat clamp down on Melo in the First Round and Woody didn't have any answer for this clamping. Sort of like bashing your head into a brick wall.

I don't think he caters too much to Melo-ball, I think he is probably the biggest proponent of Melo-ball outside of Melo himself.

Woody's biggest strength is that he will never go against Carmelo, and this is what earned him the extension.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
I just hope Woodson learns to not lean on JR smith so much, when he is clearly struggling, no more trying to play the daddy role for JR

There were times when JR had no business still being in the game

But

with a full training camp, woody should be SET and know exactly how he wants to execute this team, i have faith in him. This team had an impressive record under woody last season. Now we have more reliable players and Vet smartness so lets see what happens.

Paul1355

All Star
Our HC, defensive minded, no smiles, and Mr. Potato replica.

Do you feel MW can lead the Knicks out of the first round and get the most out of his players?

Do you feel MW caters too much to Melo-ball and doesn't have a clue what he wants to do with this team offensively?

Mike Woodson for potential COY in 2012-13?

Woodson is a real coach and he has authority in the locker room. No one listened to Mike D because he was soft, Woodson is solid stone when it comes to leading a team.

He is perfect for this team, these guys need a hard nosed coach like him and I love having him leading our squad.

Maybe his style of too much iso ball isnot great but atleast we have iso players that suite his style of play.

Defense wins game, not trying to "outscore" your opponent which was Mike D's strategy which was ridiculous.

I loved seeing Woody bark at his players, especially Landry for his stupid mistakes.

Woody isn't afraid to criticise players and that is a real coach, not a coach that is afraid to rough up feathers.

I am confident with Woodson that we can get past the 1st round.

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
dugtrio.jpg

-
Will look forward to seeing this face glaring at Jr on his bad plays. Whether you criticise Woodson or not for his offensive style, at least we have the players that are suited to this.

His defense is brilliant and i'm very happy we have added a few great defensive additions (hopefully more to come via Vet Min's) to suit the type of team Woodson requires.

Paul1355

All Star
Holding players accountable was the biggest problem with mike d, he just wouldnt do it and it was hurting us from succeeding. Im glad woodson holds players accountable.

Shaunyboy23

Benchwarmer
COY? No chance.

Woodson poses a strong challenge to Carmelo for playoffs futility. His Atlanta teams were not just eliminated, they were butt raped in their series losses.

I think his average number of wins with Atlanta over 6 years was something like 35 wins per year, with a single 50-win season.

Last year he looked good because teams generally play better after a coaching change; the air is clear and people breathe better, but starting from scratch this year will be a different story for him. I have very little confidence in Coach Woody as our leader.

It's been overlooked, but Woody betrayed some immaturity and foolishness when he publicly stated that Lin would start for us next year. He played our hand when it really wasn't his business to play it, and I think his comments were instrumental in the Rockets boosting their offer.

The guy's offensive philosophy is "give it to Melo", and I think this can work for a winning record over the regular season, but when adjustments have to be made in the heat of the playoffs, this is where his coaching will be most exposed. We saw the Heat clamp down on Melo in the First Round and Woody didn't have any answer for this clamping. Sort of like bashing your head into a brick wall.

I don't think he caters too much to Melo-ball, I think he is probably the biggest proponent of Melo-ball outside of Melo himself.

Woody's biggest strength is that he will never go against Carmelo, and this is what earned him the extension.
Are you even a Knicks fan? All of your posts spew constant negativity. Your acts of trolling are eerily similar to fans of other teams that hate the Knicks. It's disgusting

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Are you even a Knicks fan? All of your posts spew constant negativity. Your acts of trolling are eerily similar to fans of other teams that hate the Knicks. It's disgusting

It's not my fault the Knicks are a mess.

What do you want me to tell you, Woodson is the best coach in the league and we're favored for a championship? Give me a break.

Shaunyboy23

Benchwarmer
It's not my fault the Knicks are a mess.

What do you want me to tell you, Woodson is the best coach in the league and we're favored for a championship? Give me a break.
You exaggerate all negatives without any proper facts while ignoring the positives. You use any and every opportunity to bash Melo, even if you have to create one from scratch. Also you forgot to mention that the team Woodson inherited in Atlanta was absolute ****. You also left out the fact that they increased their win total every year. And don't act like Woodson's statement lost us Lin. Everyone knew we were going to match the original contract, it wasn't a secret.