View Poll Results: Who do you think will win the MVP?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Melo

30 69.77%
  • Durant

3 6.98%
  • LeBron

7 16.28%
  • None of the above

3 6.98%
Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-13 Carmelo Anthony Player Performance and News Thread

Announcement Carmelo Anthony: The league's biggest mismatch @ the 4.

The 3? The 4?

I went back through Melo's impeccable run playing PF last season, in that amazing April in which he was toted EC Player of the Month, just to make a point.

Whilst playing at the power forward position in April '12.

※ Dropped a stellar 39, 10, 2, 2 steals and a blocked shot in Indiana, April 3.

※ Dropped a lackadaisical 19, 8 and 3 in 28 minutes in Orlando, April 5.

※ Destroyed Chicago for 43, 7, 3, 1 steal and 1 swat on April 8.

※ On April 10, 2012 Carmelo Anthony scored 29, 2, 5 and 3 steals in a loss to Chicago, April 10.

※ Melo scored 32, 10, 2 and a block V Milwaukee, April 11.

※ The Beast on the Block scored 18 points, 5 boards a steal and a block in a demoralising victory against the Wiz, April 13.

※ 42, 9, 5 and a steal in a loss to the cHeat, April 15.

※ On April 17, Melo scorched the Celtic f*ggots for 35, 12, 10 and 2 steals @ MSG. His 2nd ever career triple dip.

★ It's seriously worth another look.

※ April 18, 33, 7, 4 and a steal in a 104-95 win over the Nyets.

※ Had a steaming pile of sh*t game V Cleveland Cavaliers on April 20: 12 points, in the most dampening loss of the season.

※ Came soaring back V Atlanta in the next game, April 22, dropping 39, 10, 2 and 2 pilfers. I remember him ripping down the decisive defensive rebound to seal the victory, as well.

● He would no doubt have even topped these numbers, though some of us may forgotten, he only played 28 minutes in an impressive NYK win over the Los Angeles Clippers, and 29 minutes in the April 13th thumping of the Washington Wizards.

● He was a mismatch nightmare for every team, as his combination of fleet feet, range and strength tore up every opponent, and made the ball movement seem almost effortless at times, even as the primary option.

Final Point. It's a standout!

In 13 games starting at power forward last season (during STAT's absence, naturally), Melo averaged 30 points per 36 minutes on 50.5 percent shooting. The Knicks' offensive rating with Anthony at power forward was 108.9.

In 42 games at small forward, Anthony averaged 21.8 points per 36 minutes on 40.1 percent shooting and the Knicks' offensive rating (a measure of points scored per 100 possessions) was 100.4.

However, this is what Melo had to say in regard to his preferred position on the court - "Right now, we have guys in that position. We want to keep it like that," Anthony said Monday when asked about playing more power forward this year. "I'd rather play my natural position then go down there and play the 4, the 5 and things that I don't really want to do. So with the guys that we have now, I find that we're definitely that much more effective."

When asked if he meant that, as long as his teammates remain healthy, his preference is to play the wing, Anthony said, "Absolutely."
    Last edited by Crazy⑧s; Oct 30, 2012 at 09:37.

Superstar

While i agree with your post, i think playing at the PF for the entire season, would wear him down, by having to guard bigger guys every night.We gotta start looking for ways to get rid of Amare, period.

No one's saying 'for the entire season', but the numbers very plainly make the case for him as a player, and for the offensive efficiency the team garners with him at the PF.

Superstar

Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    No one's saying 'for the entire season', but the numbers very plainly make the case for him as a player, and for the offensive efficiency the team garners with him at the PF.
    No, i agree with you totally, you made a great case, but i'm just saying, only i certain situations.God knows Amare is finished.

With Kevin Love out for the start of the season, Melo might be the best "Power Forward" in the NBA.

2-5 years ago i would've said this is blasphemy but their are literally no PF that can potentially abuse Melo with their back to the basket, muscle or height besides:

Pau Gasol
    Kevin Garnett
    Kevin Love
    Dirk

And we wont have to worry about these guys above because Tyson will guard them. The only team we cant even think about doing this on is the Lakers and Timberwolves because Dwight and Pekovic will chew Melo up.

The rest of the PF's are just utility guys nowadays and are just putback and rebound guys.

The only drawback is Melo isn't a ferocious rebounder enough to keep up some decent rebounding #'s that a typical 4 would. So in essence Melo would be like dirk with a few more assists.

I would love to see Melo play as a PF most of the games, especially when Amare isn't around.

His speed can be a major factor against other PFs. He should never settle for jumpers, he should always penetrate inside, he has the needed moves, over the top speed for a PF and he also happens to love drawing out fouls. We know that opposing PFs make many fouls against the opposing offense, so that would be a plus for us, and it would be a major problem for the opposing team!

Tyson
    Melo
    Brewer
    JR
    Felton

This lineup should create havoc!

I hate this "getting worn down" argument...I dont really buy into it at all. Either way hes getting worn down, 82 games will wear down anybody.

Even at SF you run into screens set by centers, u have to sometimes chase quicker players around...Carmelo is a big dude, hes in great shape, Im not worried about him getting worn down at all.

Im going with Carmelo at the 4, i mean what else can i say at this point? Men lie, women lie, numbers don't

That game vs Cleveland was STAT's 1st game back and Woodson sat Carmelo and Tyson most of it and let STAT get his beak wet. We lost by like 4,5,6 but if we won that game we play Indiana in the 1st Round and who knows what happens after that

Great Great Thread!!!

Its gonna vary from game to game who should play PF

I think against the Nets Kurt Thomas will do just fine. Kris Humphries is not an offensive threat so that matchup won't kill us and Kurt should be able to get his jumper off of pick and pops with Felton.

We could also start Copeland here because Humprhies will struggle guarding the pick and roll although he is better suited playing with the second unit with Pablo

Starting 5 against Nets
    Felton
    Brewer
    Melo
    Thomas
    Chandler

The game against the Heat is where we will really miss Stat. and is where we'll have to start Melo

Stat wouldve given us a nice mis-match with him for Shane Battier but Melo works here too especially since Battier will spend most of the night on the perimeter

Starting 5 against Heat
    Felton
    JR (we gonna need players to help Melo go 1 on 1)
    Brewer
    Melo
    Chandler

Hold up a minute...so if Carmelo becomes our starting PF, does that mean we have the best PF in the NBA?

Originally Posted by KingStarbury3
    Hold up a minute...so if Carmelo becomes our starting PF, does that mean we have the best PF in the NBA?
    Exactly.

Superstar

Originally Posted by KingStarbury3
    Yes, easily

If we could unload Amare for spare pieces that would be okay rotation minute players i'd take it in a heart beat. If they happened to be another SF or shooting big we'd be legitimate contenders.

go spill that nonsense to that guy down in south beach....stop bein such ****in homers and realize things for what they are. Melo cannot play the 4 on a regular basis. His whole offseason was dedicated to better conditioning and getting leaner so he can have an advantage at the 3, just like Stat putting on fat/weight/muscle last season before we got tyson because he figured he had to play the 5 at times. melo is leaner, and lighter, you think he can bang down there on a consistent basis? get real. put him down there in late game situations but dont expect him to be your full time 4

Originally Posted by MeloforMayor
    Exactly.