2012-13 Carmelo Anthony Player Performance and News Thread

Who do you think will win the MVP?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CA7

Scoring Champ
For the past nine years, New York Knicks star Carmelo Anthony has had to carry the scoring load for his teams to remain competitive.

But with arguably his deepest and most seasoned supporting cast this season in New York, he's ready to sacrifice the high scoring he's always been known for.

"I don't want to try to put all that burden on myself to go out there and try to do everything, so I'm willing to make any sacrifice in my game regardless of what anybody else says," he told ESPNNewYork.com on Friday. "If my scoring goes from 27 to 23, I'm cool with that. Right now, I'm willing to make any sacrifice that I have to."

Anthony said his motivation to change his game comes from his focus to buy into the team system. Anthony said he's been inspired by his veteran teammates, such as Jason Kidd, who has taken the leadership role in pre-training camp, Marcus Camby and Kurt Thomas, whom he said are all working harder than ever in the gym. He even included free-agent power forward Rasheed Wallace, who's been recently training at the Knicks' practice facility.

"We go up there and you'd be surprised the work that the older guys put in, from Camby to Jason Kidd to Rasheed," Anthony said. "The work that the guys are putting in, you would think that they were still in their early 30s or something like that."

Anthony said that Wallace took his physical on Friday -- as did Melo -- and a source close to the team told ESPNNewYork.com that "the players all expect (the Wallace signing) to become official." The former Piston has close ties with Knicks coach Mike Woodson, who was an assistant coach in Detroit in 2004 when they upset the Los Angeles Lakers to win the championship. And Woodson has been a big proponent of coaching veteran players.

"The word out of the practice facility was the staff was talking during pickup games and workouts as if (Wallace) was joining the team," the source said. "They were talking about how his game fit in with the rest of the team."

Wallace's agent, Bill Strickland, said over the phone that if Wallace decides to come out of retirement, it will be to play with the Knicks and no other team.

"That's my understanding, based on his relationship with Coach Woodson," Strickland said.

A team source said that Wallace has not yet signed a deal but said something could be done by the end of the day Friday.

Another source familiar with the Knicks' free-agency situation said that during Wallace's first workouts with the Knicks, he wasn't in very good shape. But Wallace could improve his conditioning during the season and be a key stretch-4 during the playoffs. As of right now, only Steve Novak plays a similar position, and the team could use an additional 3-point shooter who can spread the floor.

While waiting on Wallace's decision, the Knicks have reached out to representatives for free-agent swingman Josh Howard, according to a league source.

With the Atlantic Division being extra competitive this season -- the Knicks, Miami Heat, Boston Celtics, Brooklyn Nets, Philadelphia 76ers and Toronto Raptors could all be playing in May -- Anthony & Co. need to make sure their arsenal is fully equipped.

"(The Atlantic) is wide open," he said. "I've been in the Western Conference for seven and a half years, and every year that's how it was. Two games separate everybody. You lose one, you fall back, so it keeps you on edge. Now in the East, it seems like that's the new trend. As long as we do what we have to do, we'll be fine."

And what about Miami?

"We're not even worried about them," he said with a smile. "They do what they do, we do what we do. We'll meet up when we meet up."

With Anthony arguably in the best shape of his life -- Knicks legend and MSG analyst Walt Frazier told ESPNNewYork.com that he believes so -- this is Melo's best shot at elevating to the MVP conversation, along with his 2003 draft buddies LeBron James and Dwyane Wade.

But that's not on his mind. He's all about team. And sacrifice.

"At the end of the day, as long as we win games, everybody will be happy," he said. "I don't really think about it. My mindset is to make this one of the best years for myself and for the Knicks."

focused man

uber

Benchwarmer
"I don't want to try to put all that burden on myself to go out there and try to do everything, so I'm willing to make any sacrifice in my game regardless of what anybody else says," he told ESPNNewYork.com on Friday. "If my scoring goes from 27 to 23, I'm cool with that. Right now, I'm willing to make any sacrifice that I have to."
I'm loving it :)

CA7

Scoring Champ
I'm hopin Melo regained some explosiveness, we need him to finish around the rim better

that last dunk was nice we need more of that

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
IMO this season Melo will be among top three MVP candidates, man's motivated, in shape and operates within a system where he thrives. I'm wondering though how he'll mesh with Ray, who's a pick and roll PG. But still, hopes are high and I deeply believe Melo will make a major impact and prove the BSPN haters wrong.

CA7

Scoring Champ
IMO this season Melo will be among top three MVP candidates, man's motivated, in shape and operates within a system where he thrives. I'm wondering though how he'll mesh with Ray, who's a pick and roll PG. But still, hopes are high and I deeply believe Melo will make a major impact and prove the BSPN haters wrong.

the thing about Ray is he's smart he can operate off the ball and thats key with Melo which is why he worked so well with Billups. Carmelo and Chauncey had some of the best chemistry I've ever seen. Ray is a very versatile PG so I think him, STAT and Melo can become a great trio similar to Rondo/Pierce/Garnett they all just have to work together and sacrifice

metrocard

Legend
tumblr_mbow0eIJYK1rs5ngxo1_250.jpg

iSaYughh

Starter

My next sig image, unless you want dibs. Lollll....

I'm only doubling down on my assessment of Melo for upcoming season btw.

Not getting fooled by Olympics or anything else. Only looking at raw facts and history of our team as it is built, and Melos nba body of history. Especially recent.

Excuse time is officially up too. Either he needs to do what he's always done and shut ppl up by actually winning and elevating the team consistently, or he needs to change his **** up quite radically (especially mentally...)

metrocard

Legend
My next sig image, unless you want dibs. Lollll....

I'm only doubling down on my assessment of Melo for upcoming season btw.

Not getting fooled by Olympics or anything else. Only looking at raw facts and history of our team as it is built, and Melos nba body of history. Especially recent.

Excuse time is officially up too. Either he needs to do what he's always done and shut ppl up by actually winning and elevating the team consistently, or he needs to change his **** up quite radically (especially mentally...)

Yep.
This is Melo's year to really establish himself. LeBron got his ring.
Mentality, Melo has to separate himself from what he's been and totally put all his talents into use and get the big prize. Melo has a strong team around him now with great defenders, rebounders and passers. No excuses now.

smokes

Huge Member
MeloDrama

William Wesley informed New York Knicks' owner James Dolan that Carmelo Anthony was unhappy with the direction of the team under Mike D'Antonio shortly before he stepped down as head coach, according to a source.

A source says Dolan was easily swayed by Wesley.

When Anthony returned from injury in mid-February, the Knicks had been transformed due to the emergence of Jeremy Lin.

"Lin was getting what Carmelo was promised," says a source close to the Knicks. "And Carmelo thought D'Antoni was going to favor Jeremy, so he had to get D'Antoni out of there.

"It works out perfect for Carmelo. There's little if any of his DNA on there."

Anthony has played his best basketball during Team USA games where he could take a secondary role and focus on scoring. But Anthony couldn't see himself sharing lead time with a Lin.

"He's not an alpha dog. He might think he is, but he's not," says a source close to the Knicks. "He needs to be around someone who is feared, someone who could tell him what to do. He just couldn't see Jeremy Lin that way. He could see Kobe and LeBron that way in the Olympics, sure, but not Jeremy Lin. Carmelo's whole thing is perception."

Anthony rebelled against D'Antoni's offense with the Knicks, but the former coach largely orchestrated Team USA's offense.

"It's the ultimate irony of this whole thing," the source says. "Carmelo was at his best and most efficient running that offense. It couldn't be more obvious to him, and he couldn't be more oblivious to it."

Love that realgm spelled his name D'Antonio :lol:

This summary is pretty controversial.

Full article here http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8...melo-anthony-master-getting-way-espn-magazine

Last edited by a moderator:

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Ah, I say we bury this.

Look, it's a new season and new things will crop out of this, like nice flowers.

We don't need the negative build-up. Word is bond.

**** J-Lin, **** MDA, it's Carmelo Season, ninjas.

smokes

Huge Member
I thought the most interesting part of the article is that Melo plays best as second fiddle, something I'd never really heard mentioned before and have never considered.

Certainly contradictory to most of the reasons cited between Lin/Melo/MDA... It's interesting. Thought this would spark some keen discussion.

edit- damn I gotta stop quoting like that force of habit.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
I've considered it. Long time ago.

Guys a great scorer but he has not proven his balls as a Top Dog.

Still, I believe in the dude. He would not be the first baller to make an about-face, and drop the buckets ill-nasty all over the league.

It's a maturing process for most players. Not everyone is born a LeBron.

I think Melo has it in him to be a top dog and he's done everything in his power to pop the pimple. Now he just has to deliver, and I have no doubt he will. Great Men usually rise to the challenge, I don't see why Melo wouldn't. He's an All-World talent.

smokes

Huge Member
Yeah but Melo and Lebron have been compared since high school.

I watched that sh*tty Lebron doco and the most interesting part was seeing the rivalry start to develop between Melo and Lebron.

I don't think Melo needs to play second fiddle to anyone on the court but maybe psychologically he doesn't have the leadership qualities of Lebron. That shouldn't be a worry to us when we have one of the best leaders in the NBA on our roster. Big Tyson.

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
On this team Melo is perfect, he has Tyson, Kidd now. Tyson was also the perfect 2nd fiddle to Dirk in their one season together.

Agreed this needs to be buried, first Lin's article about wanting to retire a Knick, now this. Pretty sure this will be rehashed by the media when the Rockets-Knicks play.

smokes

Huge Member
I think this is more about how desperate the media are to get stories. The whole Melo/Lin/MDA saga has been spinning stories for over 6 months now...

When you see comments like this coming out of a respected news outlet like ESPN you have to consider how ignorant they are of the Knicks (this is a constant theme on ESPN).

"It's the ultimate irony of this whole thing," the source says. "Carmelo was at his best and most efficient running that offense. It couldn't be more obvious to him, and he couldn't be more oblivious to it."

Melo's production was decent under MDA but it didn't win us many games. Under Woodson Melo and the whole team player noticeably better... I don't know how professionals can't see this kind of simple stuff.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I went on and on and on an on re how Melo could fit into MDA'a system if he wanted to.

Everyone saw him on team USA, how he beasted in MDA's offense. He could've done so with us as well and for whatever reason just couldn't bring himself to.

There will no excuses this season. He needs to put up or shut up.

Last edited: