2012-13 Carmelo Anthony Player Performance and News Thread

Who do you think will win the MVP?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red

TYPE-A
Is Melo the NBA MVP?

MVP + DPOY = ?​

Five reasons the Knicks are 16-5 (espn.com)

MELO MAKEOVER: It starts, of course, with Carmelo.

Here's all you need to know about how Anthony's playing these days: he had a season-high 45 points in the Knicks' win over the Nets on Tuesday, but on New York's last possession, he gave the ball up, which led to Jason Kidd's game-winning three-pointer.

That play signifies Anthony's trust in his teammates and his shift in mindset this season. In year's past, maybe he dribbles out the shot clock and forces a bad shot. So far, we haven't seen that version of Anthony this year.

Carmelo Anthony has been a major part of the Knicks' 16-5 start.

His true shooting percentage -- a measure that includes free throws and 3-pointers -- is a career-high .583 and he's averaging a full three-throw attempt more than he took last season. This is a sign that he's not forcing bad shots and being more aggressive in getting to the rim.

While much has been made of his defense, the advanced metrics don't reflect an improvement. But you can tell that Anthony has often given an honest day's effort on the defensive end and he's sacrificed his body on several occasions in an effort to extend a Knicks' possession.

Monster night by Knicks' Carmelo prompts MVP talk (nypost.com)

They came back because Carmelo Anthony had one of those games an extraordinary player has to have every now and again, a reminder that when a team happens to have the best guy on the court, no deficit is insurmountable, no chasm too steep. He scored 45 points, shot 15-for-24, refused to let the Knicks lose.

?He?s the MVP, guys,? Woodson said, and he wasn?t the only one tossing those three letters around when the night was done.

?That?s why he?s the MVP,?
Tyson Chandler said. ?This is a game we lose if we don?t have Melo. I didn?t do anything tonight, Ray [Felton] didn?t do anything tonight, nobody did ? but we had one guy to carry the load.?

Chandler shook his head.

?When he plays like that,? he said, ?he?s second to none.?

Woodson: ?Sometimes, I think he?s misread. He wants to win in the worst way.?

Anthony has been saying it for years. Across 21 games he has done quite a bit more than that. Ask the Nets. Ask the Knicks. Ask Barclays Center. Maybe it?s too early to declare anyone an MVP. But it?s never too early to nominate one.

MELO MVP?

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
Lebron is the best all round player in the league but unless the Heat push the 65+ win mark and Durant goes cold he won't get it again.

Melo's biggest threat is Durant, who while under the radar will be just a good a chance as Melo. If Amare assimilates well and becomes basically a glorified role player and doesn't effect the team flow i'd say Melo has a great chance of getting it if we push the 58-60 win barrier.

InGodsHands

Benchwarmer
So far it's been Durant. I think it will stay that way OKC plays in much tougher conference and they look like they'll finish with better record than Knicks.

metrocard

Legend
Red, you dog...I love how you put the option for people to view who voted. Who ever voted for LeBron will be lynched on here lol.

bigapple

Starter
Kobe: Melo is the NBA's toughest cover

Code:
To [URL="http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/110/kobe-bryant"]Kobe Bryant[/URL], [URL="http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1975/carmelo-anthony"]Carmelo Anthony[/URL] is the toughest cover in the NBA. Tougher, even, than [URL="http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1966/lebron-james"]LeBron James[/URL].
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/newyork/play?id=8742487

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Still too early to tell, but so far so good. I like Melo's chances. Two factors that will be huge for his chances of winning the award:

(1) The team's record. If we finish with the best record in the NBA (or close to it), he'll have a 70%-80% chance of winning it.

(2) Big performances against playoff bound teams/rivals like Miami and the Nets. Again, so far so good, he dropped 35 and 45 on the Nets, and lit up Miami in our season opener. :gony:

I hope he wins it.. has there ever been a Knick who won the MVP award? His status as a Knick will skyrocket up there with Ewing and CLyde if he ever wins it. Go Melo! Go Knicks!!! :gony:

Last edited:

Red

TYPE-A
Still too early to tell, but so far so good. I like Melo's chances. Two factors that will be huge for his chances of winning the award:

(1) Th team's record. If we finish with the best record in the NBA (or close to it), he'll have a 70%-80% chance of winning it.

(2) Big performances against playoff bound teams/rivals like Miami and the Nets. Again, so far so good, he dropped 35 and 45 on the Nets, and lit up Miami in our season opener. :gony:

I hope he wins it.. has there ever been a Knicks who won the MVP award? His status as a Knick will skyrocket up there with Ewing and CLyde if he ever wins it. Go Melo! Go Knicks!!! :gony:

Willis Reed is the only Knick to win MVP.

If we finish with the best record coach will be Coach of the Year. Only Holzman and Riley got that.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Still to early in the season to decide.

Carmelo is playing like a MVP as of right now

Durant is playing at MVP level he's turned his game up a notch, with the departure of harden

Lebron as usual is having a MVP season as well

Hell even tim duncan is putting in work at MVP level right now

If i had to give out a MVP award right now i'd probably give it to Melo... think about it for second

Durant currently has Westbrook a second guy teams have to look out for

Lebron currently has Bosh & Wade 2 other guys teams have to look out for

Melo is a MAJOR target every night currently due to our second best player Amare being injured and melo is still putting up numbers, carrying this team, playing extended minutes, diving on the floor for loose balls and having 30 point games against some good teams.. thats impressive IMO. Melo is on a mission this season

Last edited:

deamon

Benchwarmer
At this moment Durant is main candidate to win it.
OKC with best record, Durant best in +/- in entire league, so he helps most for his team.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Kobe and Melo both have alot of respect for each other.

Melo is the toughest player to guard in the NBA..he can beat you so many ways, i mean he doesn't have the strength of Lebron, Lebrons like a Freight train coming at you, but off pure isolation skills Carmelo is a deadly player to guard.

Durant is pretty tough to guard to because he's just so tall and has lengthy arms, he can just shoot right over you he's a very efficient player but lacks a legit post game

But if were playing the 1 vs 1 game i got my money on carmelo any day of the week. ( Can handle the rock, efficient Post game, Can get to the basket, & A cold blooded scorer)

carlito1171

Rookie
If the season ends today I give it to Melo....Durant probably has better numbers, but who would have thought that Melo would have put the team on his back and carry us to the #1 seed in the east without Amare and Shump, similar to how TC won DPOY last year on impact and not stats.

Where Melo ends up at the end of the season? No one knows. We will wait and see, but so far so good.....

p0nder

Starter
Had these conversations early in STAT's first season here as he tore up teams dropping 30+ in 9 straight. But in the end he couldn't continue to go all year at that level. It remains to be seen if Carmelo can hang in there playing at both ends of the floor at this high of a level for the entire season.

Getting STAT back into the rotation and taking some of the burden will allow more room and energy from Melo which should translate very well on the floor. I think right now Melo would win it. But time will tell.

bigapple

Starter
but Lebron got only animal dunk i never say his layup from action only from paint maybe he cant layup?

Durant is like Dirk simply black and younger version of Dirk

Kobe is no Defender at all 4 me he is just scoring machine himself