2012-13 Carmelo Anthony Player Performance and News Thread

Who do you think will win the MVP?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

orangeblobman

Rotation player
That all sounds good. At the same time, they're saying all the things we want to hear, almost as if on cue. This is Dolan propaganda.

JaYnYcE

Benchwarmer
Crazy⑧s;245015 said:
While Carmelo Anthony was in Las Vegas about a week ago, Mike Woodson came out to check on his star player and see how he looked on the court.

Melo told ESPN New York that his head coach was very pleased with what he saw.

"He said I was way ahead of schedule," said Anthony, who was pushed by Woody to get into top shape during the offseason. "I think it was big for him to actually be here and just see the work that myself and Tyson [Chandler] has put into the commitment of USA basketball and the commitment of making ourselves better physically, see where we're at mentally. Just to have him here, it was big for him, it was big for us to see that support."

For Melo, that meant losing 12 pounds (he now roughly weighs 239) and gaining more quickness -- on top of his strength -- thanks to renowned NBA trainer Idan Ravin, who's worked one-on-one with nearly half of Team USA, including Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Chris Paul, Kevin Love and Blake Griffin. That doesn't include Dwyane Wade and Dwight Howard, who were left off the roster due to injuries. In addition, he's trained Amare Stoudemire.

About two weeks after the Knicks' season ended, Ravin met Anthony in the Los Angeles area to begin offseason training at an undisclosed gym. Occasionally, Paul, J.R. Smith, his brother, Chris, and Griffin joined the workouts, and they also played pickup games on UCLA's campus. Ravin, who was first introduced to Anthony through word of mouth before his rookie year with the Nuggets in 2003, said that two-week break is very important.

"The end of season is always a little abrupt, emotionally and physically," he said. "Everybody wants to play a little bit longer. So you give them time to get their head back and see what they want for next year."

Ravin said that Anthony was well-prepared for last season -- "1,000 percent he was in great shape" -- but wrist, groin and hamstring injuries forced him to play through pain and miss 11 regular-season games.

"What do you think happens when you get those injuries?" Ravin said. "You can't run, you can't play, you have to sit, it's hard. He gets affected."

Therefore, Ravin's big focus was getting Anthony to feel lighter on his feet for the Olympics and the 2012-13 season.

"It's better on the joints," he said.

Ravin also took into account how Woodson and the Knicks' training staff were pushing Anthony to get into better shape. To reach that goal, Ravin started with Anthony's diet, as he believes that "sometimes food is counter-intuitive." Many of Melo's toughest critics say that he's not diligent and plays overweight, but Ravin downplayed that notion entirely. He said they're missing something.

"You forget that under his jersey, he wears a lot of that compression-type stuff, and he wears a lot of that protection-type sleeves around his stomach, so it makes him look a little bit wider and thicker," he said. "But he's not fat a--, man. He's a world-class athlete, so he's always very detailed with his diet, with his conditioning. Remember, too, the season's long and it wears on you. Sometimes that's where the fatigue sets in."

On the court, Ravin focused on refining and adding moves to Anthony's game. In addition, they worked a lot on athletic development and improving his efficiency offensively and defensively. Ravin called the NBA "not a league of hugs and kisses" and that players "have to maintain that edge, especially when they're on top, because everyone's always gunning for you."

Ravin provided a breakdown of his work with Melo:

"We focused a lot on agility, quickness, stability, power, basketball and conditioning -- integrated stuff," he said. "There's a lot of focus on [the] mental component, beyond the court, such as meditation and reading books. It doesn't happen quickly; it happens over the course of a career. The goal ultimately is self-empowerment and improvement.

"Some people think, 'Oh, you train the athlete for an hour.' No, average trainers do that. To train the world's best athletes, you have to be a presence in their life all year -- even off the court. With each of these athletes, it's thousands of text messages, and time with them, and lunch and travel. You wear many different hats in order to fulfill that purpose -- being a mentor, being an adviser, being a friend and being a trainer."

Ravin said that Anthony will continue to work with him after the Olympics, and he only expects great things from him next season.

"I always found him to be really well-prepared, so when camp starts, I'm 100 percent certain he's always one of those guys that will be in good condition and his game will be solid and he's improved from the year before," he said. "I've never been worried about that."

You can follow Jared Zwerling on Twitter.

Where did you get that article? ESPN?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WeReady

Benchwarmer
I feel you but saying he's selfish when he shoots just as much as any other #1 option, saying he doesn't play D when his PER numbers are solid, he's not a winner when he's been in the playoffs every year and never had a losing record

The 3 things I've always had problems with Melo are

1. The fact he doesn't move the way I would like him too. Its like he's so tight in his thighs that he runs so awkward and even when dribbling up the court he doesn't have any moves. He needs to do some PG drills and learn a better running technique, that **** did wonders for KD

2. He knows how to win but he doesn't know how to be a champion. Melo should always be All-NBA 1st or 2nd Team and go deep in the playoffs but its like every year prior to 2009 he didn't understand the task at hand but he's picked it up just these last 2 years have been cluster****. I got faith he turns it around.

3. He doesn't see every game as a big game, he gets up for Kobe, LeBron, Paul and Durant but when playing the Bobcats, the Wolves, the Kings he seems uninterested. Those are games he should be getting 30+ easily while coasting to a victory. There is no reason he should not have a scoring title right now but thats beyond the point. Melo has everything in place right now to make his push

And these are the main reasons why people come down on MELO. He is in a way lazy and he dose not apply himself like he should. His talents dictate that he should be a Top 5 player, but because he is inconsistent he is like top 15 top 20 player. He will show flashes here and there for a stretch. But he dosen't sustain it for an entire game. Why have all that talent if your just going be to content with your spot?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Crazy⑧s;245015 said:
While Carmelo Anthony was in Las Vegas about a week ago, Mike Woodson came out to check on his star player and see how he looked on the court.

Melo told ESPN New York that his head coach was very pleased with what he saw.

"He said I was way ahead of schedule," said Anthony, who was pushed by Woody to get into top shape during the offseason. "I think it was big for him to actually be here and just see the work that myself and Tyson [Chandler] has put into the commitment of USA basketball and the commitment of making ourselves better physically, see where we're at mentally. Just to have him here, it was big for him, it was big for us to see that support."

For Melo, that meant losing 12 pounds (he now roughly weighs 239) and gaining more quickness -- on top of his strength -- thanks to renowned NBA trainer Idan Ravin, who's worked one-on-one with nearly half of Team USA, including Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Chris Paul, Kevin Love and Blake Griffin. That doesn't include Dwyane Wade and Dwight Howard, who were left off the roster due to injuries. In addition, he's trained Amare Stoudemire.

About two weeks after the Knicks' season ended, Ravin met Anthony in the Los Angeles area to begin offseason training at an undisclosed gym. Occasionally, Paul, J.R. Smith, his brother, Chris, and Griffin joined the workouts, and they also played pickup games on UCLA's campus. Ravin, who was first introduced to Anthony through word of mouth before his rookie year with the Nuggets in 2003, said that two-week break is very important.

"The end of season is always a little abrupt, emotionally and physically," he said. "Everybody wants to play a little bit longer. So you give them time to get their head back and see what they want for next year."

Ravin said that Anthony was well-prepared for last season -- "1,000 percent he was in great shape" -- but wrist, groin and hamstring injuries forced him to play through pain and miss 11 regular-season games.

"What do you think happens when you get those injuries?" Ravin said. "You can't run, you can't play, you have to sit, it's hard. He gets affected."

Therefore, Ravin's big focus was getting Anthony to feel lighter on his feet for the Olympics and the 2012-13 season.

"It's better on the joints," he said.

Ravin also took into account how Woodson and the Knicks' training staff were pushing Anthony to get into better shape. To reach that goal, Ravin started with Anthony's diet, as he believes that "sometimes food is counter-intuitive." Many of Melo's toughest critics say that he's not diligent and plays overweight, but Ravin downplayed that notion entirely. He said they're missing something.

"You forget that under his jersey, he wears a lot of that compression-type stuff, and he wears a lot of that protection-type sleeves around his stomach, so it makes him look a little bit wider and thicker," he said. "But he's not fat a--, man. He's a world-class athlete, so he's always very detailed with his diet, with his conditioning. Remember, too, the season's long and it wears on you. Sometimes that's where the fatigue sets in."

On the court, Ravin focused on refining and adding moves to Anthony's game. In addition, they worked a lot on athletic development and improving his efficiency offensively and defensively. Ravin called the NBA "not a league of hugs and kisses" and that players "have to maintain that edge, especially when they're on top, because everyone's always gunning for you."

Ravin provided a breakdown of his work with Melo:

"We focused a lot on agility, quickness, stability, power, basketball and conditioning -- integrated stuff," he said. "There's a lot of focus on [the] mental component, beyond the court, such as meditation and reading books. It doesn't happen quickly; it happens over the course of a career. The goal ultimately is self-empowerment and improvement.

"Some people think, 'Oh, you train the athlete for an hour.' No, average trainers do that. To train the world's best athletes, you have to be a presence in their life all year -- even off the court. With each of these athletes, it's thousands of text messages, and time with them, and lunch and travel. You wear many different hats in order to fulfill that purpose -- being a mentor, being an adviser, being a friend and being a trainer."

Ravin said that Anthony will continue to work with him after the Olympics, and he only expects great things from him next season.

"I always found him to be really well-prepared, so when camp starts, I'm 100 percent certain he's always one of those guys that will be in good condition and his game will be solid and he's improved from the year before," he said. "I've never been worried about that."

You can follow Jared Zwerling on Twitter.
You can't beat CA7 with Melo.

CA7

Scoring Champ
23 for Melo

Best Scorer in the NBA hands down coming off of screens, pop outs and cuts

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Alan Hahn ‏@alanhahn
Melo is completely destroying the notion that he can only score on isolation. He’s scoring on cuts and pop-outs. Trusting the system.

Alan Hahn ‏@alanhahn
When you watch Melo with Team USA playing so willingly in a team concept, picking his spots and still thriving, you see he CAN do it.

Alan Hahn ‏@alanhahn
“@SirCoreGant: @alanhahn But on this squad you can see he has complete faith in his teammates...” Exactly

Rob Low

Rotation player
Oh word? Now I definitely have to watch the game. I hope it's on 360.

Not to harp on an old organ, but it was all smiles against DR and GB and something else against BRA and ARG. The middle-ground is missing and that's the zone where the killer instinct springs from.

27 against the 2nd ranked team. So much for that theory

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
Any news and performance updates in the Olympics, Preseason, NBA season and Playoffs goes here. Share and discuss Carmelo all in one spot. (Made to avoid multiple redundant Carmelo threads.

Carmelo struggled against Brazil yesterday. Played against Great Britain this week again. Lets see how he does.

Lets see where everyone stands on Carmelo.

Do you believe Knicks can build around Carmelo Anthony?

Do you believe Carmelo will lead the Knicks out of the first round?

Can Carmelo play with Amare?

Carmelo Played extremely well in the first half of that game against spain. I'm really starting to get excited for this year

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
60efq4.jpg

KingCharles34

All Star
If we dont win a championship next year it will only be because the rest of the team didnt show up. Carmelo will do more then his part