2012-13 Carmelo Anthony Player Performance and News Thread

Who do you think will win the MVP?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CA7

Scoring Champ
Carmelo Anthony, who argued with the referees as Patterson scored on a dunk, admitted to his frustration in what is
becoming a trend. Melo again was in foul trouble despite his 37 points. "It gets frustrating out there,'' Anthony said. "You do your best to try to get to the hole and create something and nothing happens. Then you got to go back on the other end and something does happen. Maybe I got to do a better job of not being so frustrated and accepting the fact it's how it's going to be.''

we'll see what happens from here

mafra

Legend
Why Carmelo is 0-2 in late-game, 4th Q, clutch shots this yr

That set the stage for Anthony, who finished with 35 points and 13 rebounds, to be the hero, but his 16-footer from the right side went just long.

“That’s the look I wanted,” Anthony said. “I’ll take that shot all day. Perfect look at it. I missed it. But that’s the look I wanted.”

(NY Post)

I realize it appears that Melo prefers that pull-up jumper from the elbow, more so than taking ball hard to the hoop, when he's in that late-game "clutch" situation. But I wonder if that mindset is b/c of the refs?

Basically, Melo has a 66% chance of something bad happening if he drives to the basketball.

More than any star, they seem to call an inordinate amount of offensive fouls on Anthony. He got space using his elbow last night and was called for the foul. Deron did the same thing, even wound up and brought the elbow down hard, then even used arm to seal defender as he drove around Felton's body before making a pass... a clearly worse offense than Carmelo... no foul.

And if a foul isn't called on Carmelo, he risks a flop to help amplify the effect, in order to get a call...

But even if that's ignored, then Carmelo realizes he's (most likely) going to get contact. Maybe not hammered, but enough hard contact somewhere to his body, which would be a foul to most stars, but will probably be ignored by the refs, and will definitely alter the shot attempt in some capacity.

Normally, if a star drives and a defensive player even swipes at the star as he drives, a whistle blows. In Anthony's case, they can shove the back, tug on his shorts, bang his body, do whatnot...

In other words, it's safer and less risk to just fake the penetration and pull-up. Now this poses a problem, b/c late in games Carmelo doesn't always have his legs.

We saw it in Dallas, then again against the Nets. Both games were the 2nd of back-to-back games (in consecutive nights). Tired legs, fear of bad stuff happening on the drive, equals 2 Ls.

Safest play is for Melo to drive to hoop, or be fed ball in post, use his body to draw the foul, & then swish the FTs.

Last edited:

KingCharles34

All Star
I have no problem with this, Like Carmelo said he got the shot he wanted. I felt comfortable when he first released the shot

When we're healthier it will be easier for Melo to have his legs late in games but Lebron James is the only player that can truly handle the responsibility that has been given to Melo: Score, rebound, defend. Im not surprised at all Melo looked tired late in the game, he had Gerald Wallace and Bogans taking turns on him.

I give the Nets credit, they're a very good team. If anything the blame for this loss should go to Felton for missing/taking so many shots, Chandler for his poor defense on Lopez, or simply the absence of Jason Kidd

CA7

Scoring Champ
I wish had access to the footage of the game like 8's does to break down a play that truly costed us the game

mafra

Legend
I wish had access to the footage of the game like 8's does to break down a play that truly costed us the game

I think the play at the end of the 2nd Q, not the Melo miss at end of 4th, was the most critical play. Felton pulls up for a 3-bomb, despite having Tyson Chandler ALL ALONE waiving his arms in the paint looking for an uncontested dunk.

Pass the darn ball you PG.

p0nder

Starter
Felton needs to shoot less. He's not in the D'antoni system anymore. He needs to be kept in check. That is what Kidd does so i can see real value to having Kidd on the floor in this last game.

Melo loves to do his pull up jumper to win games, thats where he is (typically) clutch. though you can see the legs are not under either of those shots and he's tired. He shouldn't be with the depth on this team and having STAT and Shump back would help with this issue. Overall i'm not concerned about Melo's willingness to get to the basket.

But it is duly noted that he gets substantially less calls then other players of his caliber in this league. He really gets no respect fro anyone other then his teammates and the other players in the league. The Media, the Refs, the Fans rip melo apart but I've only ever heard great things from his teammates and opponents.

CA7

Scoring Champ
I think the play at the end of the 2nd Q, not the Melo miss at end of 4th, was the most critical play. Felton pulls up for a 3-bomb, despite having Tyson Chandler ALL ALONE waiving his arms in the paint looking for an uncontested dunk.

Pass the darn ball you PG.

it was a play in the last minute where if Felton took 1 more dribble to draw Lopez since Tyson sealed D-Will on the pick and Melo/Smith/Novak were all covered, Chandler could have slipped in and had all the lane in the world for a dunk but Felton chucked up a brick

:barf:

bigapple

Starter
he is playing to much alone but Knicks playing worse since Rockets game.

Look @ heat game Spurs game everything was working

+ Knicks will play 2 games with nets in short time again

Red

TYPE-A
That set the stage for Anthony, who finished with 35 points and 13 rebounds, to be the hero, but his 16-footer from the right side went just long.

“That’s the look I wanted,” Anthony said. “I’ll take that shot all day. Perfect look at it. I missed it. But that’s the look I wanted.”

(NY Post)

I realize it appears that Melo prefers that pull-up jumper from the elbow, more so than taking ball hard to the hoop, when he's in that late-game "clutch" situation. But I wonder if that mindset is b/c of the refs?

Basically, Melo has a 66% chance of something bad happening if he drives to the basketball.

More than any star, they seem to call an inordinate amount of offensive fouls on Anthony. He got space using his elbow last night and was called for the foul. Deron did the same thing, even wound up and brought the elbow down hard, then even used arm to seal defender as he drove around Felton's body before making a pass... a clearly worse offense than Carmelo... no foul.

And if a foul isn't called on Carmelo, he risks a flop to help amplify the effect, in order to get a call...

But even if that's ignored, then Carmelo realizes he's (most likely) going to get contact. Maybe not hammered, but enough hard contact somewhere to his body, which would be a foul to most stars, but will probably be ignored by the refs, and will definitely alter the shot attempt in some capacity.

Normally, if a star drives and a defensive player even swipes at the star as he drives, a whistle blows. In Anthony's case, they can shove the back, tug on his shorts, bang his body, do whatnot...

In other words, it's safer and less risk to just fake the penetration and pull-up. Now this poses a problem, b/c late in games Carmelo doesn't always have his legs.

We saw it in Dallas, then again against the Nets. Both games were the 2nd of back-to-back games (in consecutive nights). Tired legs, fear of bad stuff happening on the drive, equals 2 Ls.

Safest play is for Melo to drive to hoop, or be fed ball in post, use his body to draw the foul, & then swish the FTs.

Good post.

When I analyze Melo I see:

1. The drive and or pull-up is based on feel not planned. Simply put, he uses his instincts to get the player out of solid defensive position, uses the opportunity to drive and or pull-up based on positioning and finally (like most good shooters) he'll adjust his release in the air considering the angle and distance.

This is the case shooting early or game winners. Obviously he can do that and be successful.

2. He's an EGO driven player/personality. Consider:

-He almost always answers if another "star" gets hot and attempts to take over

-He gets up for big games

-He performs the "heat check" almost every time he heats up

-He refuses to miss under the rim; get the rebound and reset. Instead he forces it back up and accompanies this with the primal howl to add effect (demonstrating increased effort)

-He beefs with the refs rightfully so or not to the detriment of his team (selfish mentality)

-****When he controls his ego and is humble we succeed more, illustrating the difference

This all leads me to conclude that he still needs to mature to become a leader. A leader can control this but knows when it's necessary to be ego-driven.

This is really the missing part of Melo in terms of being regarded as a real leader and superstar. He is improving and I'm not complaining, just saying he needs to work on this. Luckily we have vets like Kidd etc.. who should help him develop.

If he can conclude and believe WE are better when he realizes he can lead by deferring, motivating others, and making selfless decisions as well as a slew of other actions like shutting the f*ck up, taking it and playing through it instead of b*tching- not forcing shots.

we will be virtually unstoppable.

I'm inspired to talk about TRUST. Melo must trust his teammates and be humble like early on. Do this and it's more blow outs.

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
When Amare gets back, the Knicks will have enough offense to not rely on melo all 4 quarters. You'd like for melo to have enough gas to go the final 5 minutes. When Kidd played with Dirk, it would not be strange to see Dirk with 4 points in the first half and finish with 30. This is when Melo is the most effective, late game baskets, just like Dirk, Kidd just kept feeding the guy everywhere on the floor. You just need to keep Melo's tank from hitting E with 1 minute left in the game.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

Rob Low

Rotation player
There was about a 2 minute span at the end of the game when we were up 5 and missed on like 5 straight plays with Melo getting no touches

Sage

Rotation player
Are people seriously suggesting Melo's shot selection on that last play in regulation cost us the game? Think about the very first play in overtime, when Felton drew a defender and fed a wide-open Chandler in the paint. There were at least 2 chances for Felton to do that towards the end of regulation, but he fired shots instead.

If you want to point blame, look at Felton's decision making, and to a lesser extent, JR Smith's.

Melo gave everything in this game.

BananaSauce

Benchwarmer
that shot was fine. let melo do his thang.

but, he got to make all his free throws. that's the only thing thats driving me mad.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
I think he's just asked to do too much right now and he's running out of gas, they need to negate that by playing more team ball so he doesn't have to od carry the offensive load. And when Amare comes back he'll have a legit 2nd scorer if they implement Amare in effectively.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
Anybody else feel like Melo playing almost exclusively the 4 and so much small ball has finally ran it's course. I wanna see him play more minutes back at his natural position more often I think having to guard and box out bigger players is taking a little bit of a toll on the guy. I still think there should be sets with him at the 4 though just no all the time or even most of the time.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Anybody else feel like Melo playing almost exclusively the 4 and so much small ball has finally ran it's course. I wanna see him play more minutes back at his natural position more often I think having to guard and box out bigger players is taking a little bit of a toll on the guy. I still think there should be sets with him at the 4 though just no all the time or even most of the time.

yeah the 4 is good in spurts usually late in the half or the game making teams adjust to him rather than being beat up all night