I've Said It Before and I'll Say It Again

Kiyaman

Legend
Which, again, makes not matching Lin's offer sheet make even LESS sense.

If this team needs to win NOW then it needs to put the best possible players on the floor in the next three years. If this team has to win now, then **** the future...**** young players...get the best team you can NOW, pay the ****ing luxury tax, and COMPETE!

Instead, because they don't want to pay luxury tax in that third year, they get a crappier PG instead? That's what WINNING NOW is all about. The Celtics traded an ASSLOAD of their young players and picks away to get Kevin Garnett. They're not going to win anytime soon. But they mortgaged their future away because they wanted to win while Pierce was still in his prime, so they put together the Big 3 and they won. They said screw it to the salary cap and the franchise's finances, and put the best team on the floor.

We didn't. We could've had a better team on the floor if only Dolan was willing to dig a little deeper into his pockets. But he wasn't, and for that reason, we have a mediocre starting PG, no SG, and frankly, no championship aspirations whatsoever. Hopefully in five years after Melo/Amar'e come off the contract books and the Knicks start to tank it and finally get a draft pick here or there, they can win a championship, but it's not happening with Raymond Felton at the point, and it's not happening with Carmelo Anthony as the star.

Now that's Real Talk...:thumbsup:

Paul1355

All Star
Gms, coaches, players may change but as long as Dolan is in charge the results will stay the same.

He is an even bigger joke than even I thought now that he let Lin go.

the melo trade had to happen...we were a .500 team at best with Amare, Gallo, Chandler, and Felton.

Having Melo with some PG and C depth will change everything guys.

Melo was asked to carry us once Lin went down and he did carry us...Gallo, CHandler and Felton wouldn't have done any better.

Amare was the problem last season and he has to step it up NOW

This should be our best year in a long time.

Good coach, better system that actually teaches defence, full training camp, depth at the 1 and 5 for the first time I can remember, and finally some stability by keeping most of our players from last season.

We should be 2nd to 5th seed

NewYorkInferno

Benchwarmer
There IS NO SHOT AT CP3. PERIOD.

We have NO ASSETS on this team. NONE. We have no draft picks and no expiring contracts that would be attractive to the Clippers in a trade.

We have no cap space because of the max contracts we gave out to Melo and Amar'e, not to mention Tyson Chandler's huge ass deal.

AND, under new cap rules, because we are OVER THE CAP, we cannot orchestrate a sign-and-trade for a player to come to our team.

There is absolutely zero possibility that Chris Paul comes to the Knicks. ZERO. He couldn't unless he took the Veteran's minimum salary.
Trade Amare and were all set. All CP3 has to say is I want to be a knick. I got a good rough trade scenario:
Knicks get: CP3
Clippers get: Draft picks from Rockets and Knicks, Felton, Novak, Royce and others...
Rockets get: Stat (to pair with Lin)

NewYorkInferno

Benchwarmer
How do you expect us to get cp3.. dolans giant mistake of dropping Lin for nothing means we have virtually no trade assets
We couldnt trade Lin for CP3 in a S&T if we were over the luxury tax. Thats why we are trying to stay under the cap. For a shot at paul. Maybe melo tipped off the front office about paul's plan to join the nyk.

STAT1

Starter
We couldnt trade Lin for CP3 in a S&T if we were over the luxury tax. Thats why we are trying to stay under the cap. For a shot at paul. Maybe melo tipped off the front office about paul's plan to join the nyk.

The only way for the Knicks to get under the cap to sign CP3 is if we're able to find some team to take STAT's contract off our books. Not even sure we'd have enough even in that scenario, it would all depend on what the salary cap is set to that offseason.

If the true plan was to indeed make a play for CP3, then the SMART thing to do would have been to match Lin & Landry's offer sheets in order to ensure we would be able to offer some young assets in return. The Knicks chose not to, so any thought of getting CP3 needs to be forgotten about. It's not happening unless we run into another Jeremy Lin type asset in the next year or so. Not likely.

STAT1

Starter
I liked lin. Had a shirt and a sign and a fathead with him on it. But now with his comments by wanting to be a knick and not wanting the money, when the truth it he wanted the money.

Agreed. I don't like the spin doctoring that Lin's putting out there at all. Would have respected him much more if he had just kept it real & said he made the choice that he thought was best for him & his family & left it at that. To try & make this sound like he did not feel "wanted" by the Knicks is a little ridiculous.

WeReady

Benchwarmer
Agreed. I don't like the spin doctoring that Lin's putting out there at all. Would have respected him much more if he had just kept it real & said he made the choice that he thought was best for him & his family & left it at that. To try & make this sound like he did not feel "wanted" by the Knicks is a little ridiculous.

In your heart of hearts do you feel like this whole Lin situation was a debacle not only from the Knicks side but Lin's as well? Or this situation clearly one-sided to you?

I think Lin is entitled to give his thoughts after all , all we know is what the media gives us or what information we as fans seeks out

NewYorkInferno

Benchwarmer
The only way for the Knicks to get under the cap to sign CP3 is if we're able to find some team to take STAT's contract off our books. Not even sure we'd have enough even in that scenario, it would all depend on what the salary cap is set to that offseason.

If the true plan was to indeed make a play for CP3, then the SMART thing to do would have been to match Lin & Landry's offer sheets in order to ensure we would be able to offer some young assets in return. The Knicks chose not to, so any thought of getting CP3 needs to be forgotten about. It's not happening unless we run into another Jeremy Lin type asset in the next year or so. Not likely.
Matching Lin + Landry would mean we would be over the luxury tax and not able to do a S&T for CP3. we got to be under the tax for a shot at all.

TheScowl

Rookie
The Knicks are a badly run franchise. Especially in player personnel decisions. Think about it this way. How many player acquisition decisions in the last 30 years really came up big? I can think of one.

Bernard King

Ok, some others paid dividends, like picking up Allan Houston and later Sprewell. Drafting David Lee. Any others?

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
Please understand that CP3 will not come to NY. Not a shot. We have to trade one of the big three to even consider him. He likes the Clippers and if they make the playoffs again this year, he'll likely stay with them.

And going back and forth about why it was wrong to not match Lin, now isn't going to help anything. It has the same effect as if you missed a game winning shot. You can't take it back. The only way we can ever get Lin back is after his 3rd year if he decides to come back or if by chance and I mean 0.0001% David Stern interferes like he did with the CP3 trade as he watches MSG stock plummet . Personally, I think the poison pill is just bad ethics as it can really screw over a small market (which we're not but we did just act like one) team if they have a star player that they depend on but that's a different issue but ethics have never existed in business, particularly the NBA.

Let's focus on the positives in terms of basketball because we all know Dolan is a f*ck up when it comes to business and I'm pretty sure he would be screwed if he owned any other team besides the Knicks:
We have Melo. Say what you want but he played lights out in April WITHOUT LIN and really helped us get into that 7th seed. He's also motivated and he's been working this past off-season.

Both Stat and Chandler have been working with Hakeem. Should be esp beneficial for Chandler as he would get a much needed post game. Stat needs to work on his defense, badly.

We have 2 shot blocking centers now in Camby and Chandler

Our PGs are not our strong point but the Bulls (90s), Lakers, and Heat never had standout PGs and primarily depended on their star players to come through.

Shump hopefully will be back and I still see a lot of potential in him. I think if he just gets a consistent jump shot and a lil improvement in decision making he can be an all-star. He has everything else you want in a guard.

Veteran leadership is a positive as we've seen with Derek Fisher, Kidd on the Mavs, and the Spurs.

Most of us regret Dolan's decision but we can't change anything. Let's just hope for next season and pray to the basketball gods that we don't go back to the Dark Ages of the 2000s.

DCinNY

Benchwarmer
Please understand that CP3 will not come to NY. Not a shot. We have to trade one of the big three to even consider him. He likes the Clippers and if they make the playoffs again this year, he'll likely stay with them.

And going back and forth about why it was wrong to not match Lin, now isn't going to help anything. It has the same effect as if you missed a game winning shot. You can't take it back. The only way we can ever get Lin back is after his 3rd year if he decides to come back or if by chance and I mean 0.0001% David Stern interferes like he did with the CP3 trade as he watches MSG stock plummet . Personally, I think the poison pill is just bad ethics as it can really screw over a small market (which we're not but we did just act like one) team if they have a star player that they depend on but that's a different issue but ethics have never existed in business, particularly the NBA.

Let's focus on the positives in terms of basketball because we all know Dolan is a f*ck up when it comes to business and I'm pretty sure he would be screwed if he owned any other team besides the Knicks:
We have Melo. Say what you want but he played lights out in April WITHOUT LIN and really helped us get into that 7th seed. He's also motivated and he's been working this past off-season.

Both Stat and Chandler have been working with Hakeem. Should be esp beneficial for Chandler as he would get a much needed post game. Stat needs to work on his defense, badly.

We have 2 shot blocking centers now in Camby and Chandler

Our PGs are not our strong point but the Bulls (90s), Lakers, and Heat never had standout PGs and primarily depended on their star players to come through.

Shump hopefully will be back and I still see a lot of potential in him. I think if he just gets a consistent jump shot and a lil improvement in decision making he can be an all-star. He has everything else you want in a guard.

Veteran leadership is a positive as we've seen with Derek Fisher, Kidd on the Mavs, and the Spurs.

Most of us regret Dolan's decision but we can't change anything. Let's just hope for next season and pray to the basketball gods that we don't go back to the Dark Ages of the 2000s.

Agree 100%. What's done is done. Perhaps things may just work out for the better for everyone, the Knicks getting into R2 and Lin getting to play the game he is meant to play making the playoffs in Houston. Can't we all just get along? haha

orangeblobman

Rotation player
What's up with you guys that say "Melo had a great April!"

WTF!?

When you give up 26 players, 45 draft picks, and 7.6 billion dollars for a guy, I sure as **** hope he would show up a few months BEFORE April.

Fawk that April, we wouldn't even be a 10th seed at that point if Lin doesn't drop from the Heavens.