2012-13 Raymond Felton Player News + Performance Thread

Rate your faith in Ray Felton to be the PG the NYK need.

• Total voters

deamon

Benchwarmer
Won't cry, Felton isn't the fattest.
jvw51kv1c2.jpg

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Well, Woody announced that Raymond will be our starter. Looks like JR'll be in the first 5 for the majority of the first half of the season, as well.

Felton
JR
Melo
STAT
Chandler

Kidd - Priggers
Priggers - Kidd? Will The Flight White get a run?
Novak - Copeland
Sheed - Big Sexy
Camby - Sheed

How much time will Melo see at the 4, I wonder? He played his best ball there last year.

Questions, questions, questions......

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
Crazy⑧s;248875 said:
Well, Woody announced that Raymond will be our starter. Looks like JR'll be in the first 5 for the majority of the first half of the season, as well.

Felton
JR
Melo
STAT
Chandler

Kidd - Priggers
Priggers - Kidd? Will The Flight White get a run?
Novak - Copeland
Sheed - Big Sexy
Camby - Sheed

How much time will Melo see at the 4, I wonder? He played his best ball there last year.

Questions, questions, questions......

I'm curious as well to how much minutes Melo will get at the 4 and to a lesser extent Amare at the 5.

KingCharles34

All Star
I expect JR to start at 2 guard as well at least until shump comes back and gets into his rhythm. It will be a good opportunity for Smith, hopefully he takes advantage of it and maybe even wins himself the starting job.

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
I expect JR to start at 2 guard as well at least until shump comes back and gets into his rhythm. It will be a good opportunity for Smith, hopefully he takes advantage of it and maybe even wins himself the starting job.

I'm happy for JR to start as long as he spends most of his minutes with the second unit, still need and offensive punch other than Novak there.

Forrest17

Rotation player

I think we should start Brewer imo so we have a reliable versatile scorer off the bench. Everyone other than Novak who really can't make his own shot, who comes off the bench if we start JR is a more defensive minded player. I think it will better balance our offense/defense so there is never a drop off of one or the other

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I think we should start Brewer imo so we have a reliable versatile scorer off the bench. Everyone other than Novak who really can't make his own shot, who comes off the bench if we start JR is a more defensive minded player. I think it will better balance our offense/defense so there is never a drop off of one or the other

I agree Brewer is like Sefolosha. He should start and JR should come off the bench and provide instant offense like he did in Denver..

JR does not have the shot selection to start IMO.

Oh and Felton looks to be in decent form.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
Yea JR shouldn't start the starters have enough fire power offensively and needs a defensive minded player on the perimeter like Brewer, plus JR brings balance to the bench which is mostly defensive with his scoring.

Fat Elvis

Benchwarmer
I have mixed feelings about JR coming off the bench. On one hand, we need someone who can create their own shot with the second unit, to complement guys like Novak who is strictly a catch and shoot type of guy (speaking of which, can we run him off a few screens, please?). On the other hand, I think we really need someone at the 2 who can do two things: play defense, and hit threes to spread the floor to give space for Amare and Melo to operate. JR does both of these things well. Yeah, he jacks up bad shots, but I think he would actually defer to Melo and Stat more if he started. I guess I don't mind him starting overall, though I'm not sure who else can create their own shot off the bench. Either way, I think when Shump gets back if he continue to improve his 3-point shooting, that will be a huge plus for the Knicks.

Fat Elvis

Benchwarmer
I agree Brewer is like Sefolosha. He should start and JR should come off the bench and provide instant offense like he did in Denver..

JR does not have the shot selection to start IMO.

Oh and Felton looks to be in decent form.

I agree that we need a good defender at the 2, but the difference with the Thunder and these Knicks is that the Thunder's bit stars are perimeter players who can hit outside shots. I still think the biggest concern about the Knicks is having enough space for Melo, Chandler and Amare to operate while on the floor together. And I think having a 2 that can hit outside shots to create that space is crucial. Plus, JR does have defensive chops, and I think his shot selection would improve by necessity playing with Melo and Amare.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Felton quietly had a good game against the HEAT. 14 points, 9 assists, 4 boards, 3 steals. He definitely proved he can play against MIA's pesky guards. Good job Raymond, I love you. :comfort:

KingCharles34

All Star
Ray didnt look fat at all last night...time for the haters to get the pliers to their nuts, the fire to their guts. Broomstick up their butt. Torture...

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Felton says we cant be satisfied right now

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- The Knicks have grabbed many of the headlines for their 3-0 start -- their best start since 1999 -- and their early success brought out some new media faces to practice on Wednesday, even with the upcoming snowstorm.

But for a team featuring many veteran players, several who've won on the NBA Finals stage, the bigger spotlight is nothing new. The Knicks remain grounded and understand they have a long road ahead.

Starting point guard Raymond Felton put things into perspective after Wednesday's practice.

"We can't be satisfied right now," he said. "We're not going to lay it down like, 'We've got everything figured out.' We still got a long way. We still got to get better on defense, we still got to execute better on offense. We still got a lot of things we got to do. We've got to rebound better.

"There are so many things that we need to do to improve that we can't stop where we're at right now. We want to get better, each and every day. That's why we work so hard in practice. That's why we push each other each and every day in practice."

The guys have been playing as a unit on offense and defense, from the starting five to the second unit, but Marcus Camby said it's all about maintaining that same high level of production night in and night out.

With the Knicks having a few straight days of preparation this week, it will be interesting to see how they start and play Friday night. Many guys talk about how staying in rhythm helps their game -- based largely on playing games close apart -- and the Knicks were in that groove from Friday to Monday. Of course, playing at MSG helps, and the Knicks know the importance of winning at home, especially this season with the tighter race for the Atlantic Division crown.

"That's going to be huge. We've got to use the Garden as our friend and our family," Mike Woodson said recently.

If the Knicks come out strong against the 3-1 Mavericks, and build on that energy and efficiency -- and win -- it will add another layer of optimism that they're practicing the right way, have the ideal personnel and chemistry, and are one of the best teams in the league.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/27909/felton-we-cant-be-satisfied-right-now

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
So far, I've been wrong about Felton, and I hope for the sake of the Knicks that he'll continue to keep proving me wrong. It's a small sample size, but so far this season he's shown nothing but determination.

Forrest17

Rotation player
He actually looks better than he ever has.

I guess it was D'Antoni's 7 seconds or less nonsense that turned Felton into a real detestable player. I didn't even really like him when he was a knick the first time because SO.. MANY .. TIMES.. he would just run up to our side of the court and chuck an off balanced shot and a possession would be wasted. It drove me crazy. He took so many dumb unneeded shots but I guess it wasn't really his decision.

He doesn't do that at all anymore. Im very pleased with his shot selection.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
It's cause he has a coach who focuses less on shot volume and more on distribution and finding the best opportunity.

D'Antoni's system works with one type of player, and that's an all-star PG with an amazing outside shot. In other words, Steve Nash, Steve Nash, and Steve Nash.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Ray Felton's drives to the hole tonight were All Star quality. The Spurs had no answer for his aggression, strength and speed tonight. He made the far more celebrated Parker his wench when the Knicks needed someone to step up.

So proud of the way he's redeemed himself, and the fact that he knew full well what would be expected of him in the mecca.

Hats off to you, Ray.