2012-13 Raymond Felton Player News + Performance Thread

Rate your faith in Ray Felton to be the PG the NYK need.

• Total voters

unloopme

Benchwarmer
^^

Yea I think it just hit me how deep we are, you have some great points. I wasnt even thinking about Brewer before. If Melo and especially Stat were to really work on defense this offseason, we could be a defensive powerhouse...top 5 team in the league defensively. Its a great thing we have Woodson now instead of Dantoni, knicks need to pride themselves on defense. Has to be defense first with the players on this team. And Amare really needs to make a huge effort, he still has the athleticism and strength to be a top PF in the league...just has to stay healthy and play alot smarter. At least Kidd and Felton will make it easier for Stat on offense

No doubt, we're on the same page.
Far as STAT goes I think we need to accept the player he is/was.
Defensively... horrible. But when he had that pop-J working before the the BIG trade...he was HAM, borderline MVP year before last.

I think we can agree that HEALTH is by far the biggest obstacle on a "phenomenal" year.

KingCharles34

All Star
^

I agree with health being the biggest obstacle. I do think hes doing a great thing by working with the Dream. And i think he might learn a few new things defensively from Woodson and maybe Camby too. I think this team is now better made for Amare offenisively, and one way or another he wont be as bad as last year but again his health....I just hope his back can hold up.

Kiyaman

Legend
How can Felton help the Knicks ???

Every NBA's team scout knows what Felton are going to do at the point before Felton does it .. very low creative skillz as a floor leader

Felton's best contribution to the Knicks will be as our SG (Harden/Terry) off the bench as the 6th man. Recall Felton's past service as a Knicks had 20 minutes of Toney Douglas in his backcourt lineup per game.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
I voted 9 and when it seemed Ray won't return after we signed Kidd all of a sudden we traded for him. Great to hame him back, he was definately one of my favorite Knickerbockers during the 2010-11 season. :smokin:

Hayato

Benchwarmer
Raymond Felton has lost weight and is motivated to stay healthy and in shape for the Knicks, according to North Carolina coach Roy Williams.
Williams saw Felton recently in NC, and came away with nothing but praise. "He?ll be fired up," said Williams. "He is fired up right now. He looks great." Felton seems genuinely motivated to erase memories of his stint with the Blazers, which was characterized by lousy play and a lack of confidence -- don't go overboard, but we can safely project an uptick in his numbers this season. Jul 21 - 1:39 PM

JaYnYcE

Benchwarmer
Raymond Felton has lost weight and is motivated to stay healthy and in shape for the Knicks, according to North Carolina coach Roy Williams.
Williams saw Felton recently in NC, and came away with nothing but praise. "He?ll be fired up," said Williams. "He is fired up right now. He looks great." Felton seems genuinely motivated to erase memories of his stint with the Blazers, which was characterized by lousy play and a lack of confidence -- don't go overboard, but we can safely project an uptick in his numbers this season. Jul 21 - 1:39 PM

Where did you find that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kiyaman

Legend
Williams saw Felton recently in NC, and came away with nothing but praise. "He’ll be fired up," said Williams. "He is fired up right now. He looks great." Felton seems genuinely motivated to erase memories of his stint with the Blazers, which was characterized by lousy play and a lack of confidence -- don't go overboard, but we can safely project an uptick in his numbers this season. Jul 21 - 1:39 PM

If thats true .... I hope Felton is working on his SG skills, we need 20 minutes of Felton
at the SG this season, Smith has to give us some fastbreak points sprinting at SF ..
Camby & K.Thomas are exellent lob-passer on a defensive-rebound. Plus Kidd & Felton
may turn out to be our best pair guards (SG/PG) to get our frontcourt rotation clicking.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
That does not mean Felton should be a Starter.

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
If thats true .... I hope Felton is working on his SG skills, we need 20 minutes of Felton
at the SG this season, Smith has to give us some fastbreak points sprinting at SF ..
Camby & K.Thomas are exellent lob-passer on a defensive-rebound. Plus Kidd & Felton
may turn out to be our best pair guards (SG/PG) to get our frontcourt rotation clicking.
Well Felton will clearly be the starting PG no matter how many agenda driven posts you make.

CA7

Scoring Champ

Man if we get this Raymond Felton, vintage Amar'e and our new Carmelo along with JR and Novak scoring with consistency then we got a nice offensive core

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
@alanhahn: Felton admits to Breen on @msgnetworks he was upset about being traded to Denver, "But I'm back home now."

@TommyDeeTKB: RT @ChrisBHaynes: Former #Blazers G Raymond Felton in Vegas. Weight is really down. Wouldn't reveal how much he's lost but says he's on a mission.looks good

@alanhahn: Felton also says he would have come to Knicks regardless of Lin situation because "this is where I wanted to be."

@alanhahn: Felton on @msgnetworks: "I won't make no excuses, I wasn't in shape [last season]..I'm looking fwd to this year and shutting everybody up."

@alanhahn: Felton says he is in shape now, could play right now. Really seemed to take to heart what's being said about him.

Felton is my one of favs man.

He'll be fine. Felt is a tough minded dude.

KingCharles34

All Star

Kidd might be better suited to get minutes at SG then Felton, he has plenty of recent experience with having to guard 2 guards. He even did a solid job of staying with Kobe and almost always being there to at least get a hand in his face

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Thomas: Felton 'motivated' by return to NY

One of the biggest questions for the Knicks heading into this season surrounds point guard Raymond Felton.

Which Felton will show up in October? A slimmed-down facsimile of the player we saw in 2010? Or the point guard who reportedly struggled with his weight throughout an underwhelming 2011-12 season?

There's no way to answer that question in mid-August, of course.

Kurt Thomas and Raymond Felton, teammates in Portland last season, have returned to the Knicks.
But veteran Kurt Thomas spoke recently with Felton and believes the point guard is motivated entering his second stint with the Knicks.

"He's definitely motivated, he's definitely excited, he definitely wants to come back to New York," Thomas, who was dealt from Portland to New York along with Felton in a sign-and-trade, told ESPNNewYork by phone on Tuesday. "He's looking forward to this season."

And so is Thomas.

The 17-year veteran, like Felton, is back for his second stint with the Knicks.

He was "completely surprised" when he first heard he was headed back to New York.

"I didn't have any idea something like this would happen," he said. "But I'm definitely excited and really looking forward to the opportunity."

At the time of the trade, many assumed that Thomas would not get significant playing time in New York this year.

Thomas, however, hopes and expects to contribute.

"I play to my strengths," Thomas, 39, said. "I don't try to play outside of what I can do on the floor. I'm a guy who's known for playing defense, rebounding the ball (and) a guy who can shoot the ball."

Thomas averaged 3.5 points and 3 rebounds last season in 15 minutes per night. In 2010-11, he scored 4.1 points and pulled down 5.7 rebounds in 23 minutes per game for Chicago.

Thomas will be the oldest player on the Knicks' roster, but not by much. New York also acquired veterans Marcus Camby (38) and Jason Kidd (39) this summer.

Thomas called the offseason moves a "step in the right direction."

He believes that the new veterans can have a positive effect on the Knicks' locker room.

"You help your teammates get through tough situations, so I think that's definitely a positive," he said.

Thomas, of course, is no stranger to the Knicks' locker room.

He played in New York from 1998-2005, filling a key role on the 1999 team that made a surprise run to the NBA Finals.

"During that time, the city was definitely rocking it was definitely exciting," said Thomas, who is 19th on the Knicks' all-time scoring list, eighth in rebounds and fourth in blocked shots. "The fans of New York are incredible, they really support the Knicks. ... It was a great opportunity and hopefully we can create it again."

In order to get anywhere near the Finals this year, the Knicks will need Felton to be bounce back from his sub-par 2011-12 season, when he averaged 11.5 points and 6.5 assists, and shot 41 percent from the field for Portland.

Thomas believes that Felton, a seven-year veteran, can regain the form he showed in New York in 2010 (17 ppg, 9 apg).

"Ray has been doing this in the league for at least 7 years now and I think he's a capable guard," Thomas said. "He showed that in his first stint there in New York and I'm pretty sure he's going to do even better the second time around."

Felton, whom the Knicks obtained instead of matching Houston's three-year, $25.1 million offer sheet to Jeremy Lin, would probably agree with Thomas' assessment. He told MSG Network in July that he looks forward to "shutting up" his critics from last season.

"Not making no excuses, it was a lockout," he told the network. "I'm the first one to say: I wasn't in shape. I'm the first one to say that. I don't make no excuses, I don't blame nobody else.

"That's all I'm hearing from everybody. 'Oh, he wasn't in shape last year.' I've played in the league seven years, about to be eight, I came in out of shape one year and that's all anybody wants to talk about. ... If that's all everybody wants to talk about, I look forward to this year to shutting up everybody's mouth."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/23423/thomas-felton-is-motivated-by-return-to-ny

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Xwq60.png

tiger0330

Legend
Yeah he looks like he's ready to go.

He's never gonna be chiseled.
Or tall. Don't know about tough anymore, Nate had him bawling like a baby last season.

Give him credit in coming to the NY area way earlier than he needed to along with Novak. My advice to Ray, look for Novak your dimes will go up by 3 or 4 per game if you do.

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
Kidd might be better suited to get minutes at SG then Felton, he has plenty of recent experience with having to guard 2 guards. He even did a solid job of staying with Kobe and almost always being there to at least get a hand in his face

Especially with the faster points out there now. He should see some minutes at the 2. Even when he was with NJ, they had Kittles run the ball up as the 1 and Kidd circled the sets as a 2.

Kidd is probably a better fit with the starting unit than coming off the bench tbh.. It's all about which players mesh better with each other. A starting lineup of:
Kidd
Brewer
Anthony
Stoudemire
Chandler

Would probably produce the best chemistry and blends the talents of each player best. Then off the bench we'd have:

Felton
Smith
Novak
tbd/kurt thomas
Camby

That bench can compete with the starting lineup of alot of non playoff teams in the league.

p0nder

Starter
honestly that bench is better then a lot of knicks starters over the last 10 years.

I still think felton will start most games. I think that Kidd will be finishing them out though.