2012-13 Raymond Felton Player News + Performance Thread

Rate your faith in Ray Felton to be the PG the NYK need.

• Total voters

Shaunyboy23

Benchwarmer
Jeremy Lin was my favorite player and I'll forever claim that losing him was one of the biggest mistakes made by Grunwald in what was looking like a pretty good off-season.

Raymond Felton is a league-average PG when he's in shape. Hopefully, that's all we need out of him, because the rest is on Carmelo and Amar'e to get it done. I'm glad he's getting in shape now, because there's no way Woodson is the type of guy to let his players get away with showing up to training camp with excess fat.
League Average? They guy averaged 17 & 9 while he was here over a 54 game period. Lin averaged 17 & 7 over 25 games. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.And they were playing in the sae system (Lin was at his best under D'Antoni) so I don't see what makes Felton average and Lin not

knickerbocka176

Benchwarmer
League Average? They guy averaged 17 & 9 while he was here over a 54 game period. Lin averaged 17 & 7 over 25 games. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.And they were playing in the sae system (Lin was at his best under D'Antoni) so I don't see what makes Felton average and Lin not

Hes to into the lin hype. Many people see lin as a superstar thus saying hes the gap between championship team and mediocre. I find it ridiculous. Felton will come in and facilitate score when he has to and thats it. We dont need lins 4 turnovers per game. Dont get me wrong hes good and may some day be a superstar but as of now, he is nothing more than average.

platnumn

Benchwarmer
Felton Looks in SHAPE!!

And yes, I know ROUND () IS a shape!! :thumbsup:

But during his interview yesterday, he looked great. Said he's really looking forward to shutting everyone's mouth!!

"I am hearing from everybody, 'He wasn't in shape last year.' I played in the league seven years, about to be eight, came in out of shape one year and that's all everybody wants to talk about. ? I look forward to this year and shutting up everybody's mouth."

Felton says there is "nothing personal between me and Jeremy" but says "I am a competitor. I am a point guard just like he is, so do I think I am better? Of course, I am going to say that. I think I am better than any point guard. That's the way I am supposed to think."
http://www.theknicksblog.com/2012/07/19/felton-i-look-forward-to-this-year-to-shutting-up-everybodys-mouth/

New New York

Quiet Storm
Knicks fans yesterday: omg **** felton im a nets fan **** the knicks

Knicks fans today: im so excited about felton being on our squad.

Did i miss anything?

My support for Ray Ray goes back to December of last year

And check any offseasons replies I have had on the matter, I have always supported this move!

That said....you gotta understand why there was some skepticism hopefully that has been deaded!

Lets Get it!

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Felton

I have never been a Raymond Felton fan, but I will admit that my reaction is more visceral than rational. I am relieved that he appears in better shape than advertised and that is promising.

What bothered me about his game when he was with the Knicks was my perception that he was not nearly as good as he thought he was. For a mediocre shooter, he took too many shots. He never passed if he had the ball with 20 seconds before the close of a quarter. He had some nice pick and rolls with Amare' but he too often ignored the players D'Antoni had stationed at the wings. But having Melo on the floor will certainly reduce his hubris and his crunch time dominance of the ball.

I am becoming hopeful -- but he has been around for some time now. No other team seemed to have him on its radar.

CoolClyde

I have never been a Raymond Felton fan, but I will admit that my reaction is more visceral than rational. I am relieved that he appears in better shape than advertised and that is promising.

What bothered me about his game when he was with the Knicks was my perception that he was not nearly as good as he thought he was. For a mediocre shooter, he took too many shots. He never passed if he had the ball with 20 seconds before the close of a quarter. He had some nice pick and rolls with Amare' but he too often ignored the players D'Antoni had stationed at the wings. But having Melo on the floor will certainly reduce his hubris and his crunch time dominance of the ball.

I am becoming hopeful -- but he has been around for some time now. No other team seemed to have him on its radar.

remember OT, Feltip played for D'amntoni, whose offense strategy was "go", "go" and "go" in the SSOL. I believe Wood Son and Mentor Kidd will help Ray make the right choices at the right time, at the right weight.
:2cents:

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Felton

remember OT, Feltip played for D'amntoni, whose offense strategy was "go", "go" and "go" in the SSOL. I believe Wood Son and Mentor Kidd will help Ray make the right choices at the right time, at the right weight.
:2cents:

Agreed.

I liked Lin and anticipated his return. However, I thought he spent too much time with the ball, though he moved around with it, and I knew he would have to change his game to accomodate Melo's offensive abilities. I never minded Melo taking the shots, but I do not like his ISO game. I expected that this year we would have more movement with Melo rather than four observers watching Melo make one on one or one on two or three plays. I expected changes to both of their games and anticipated they would be made.

I expect Lin to produce big numbers in Houston. It is a young -- and mediocre -- team. Lin will be able to dominate all ball movement. Since the team is mediocre, the defense will be less intense. Statistically, at least, I do not expect Felton to be close to Lin. But that is OK because Lin would not put up the numbers in New York that he is likely to put up in Houston

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
Felton and Melo better drop the poundage, Amare needs to lose some weight too.
Come on man, at least do a bit of research. Melo has lost nearly 20 pounds in his offseason workouts and with Team USA. If you look up an interview with Raymond Felton had yesterday at the summer league then you would see he is in GAME SHAPE now and ready to play. He has reportedly lost 15 pounds and is still working hard to prove the haters wrong.

Amare has also been working his guts out and will meet with Olajuwon for a fortnight in Houston from August 5-19 to work on his post moves/defense. He was also looking slim in the interview and has been working hard to strengthen his lower back & core.

TakMan

Rotation player
All this has been posted.

He's also said that he believed this Knicks team is Finals material:

(This team) is good enough for the Finals. This is a contending team without a doubt,” Felton said. “That's the way I am supposed to feel, I think a lot of people should feel the same way. The thing I am excited about is I have so many options: ’Melo at one end, J.R. Smith on the other, Amar’e (Stoudemire) on the screen-and-roll or on the elbow, Tyson (Chandler) at the rim. There are so many things you can work with.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/knicks_felton_confident_he_can_replace_x0oOnItwgYJjzlZnhRJphK

I don't see why he should not believe in this team. Best Knicks team in more than a decade. I believe he can match -if not surpass- Lin's performances. All he needs to do is replicate what he did in the first half of the 2010-11 season.

I think the chemistry that Felton had with Amar'e is gonna help STAT get to the hole more with the PnR. If Felton can help STAT get to average 24 points a game, we can have a juggernaut offense.

STAT1

Starter
I believe he can match -if not surpass- Lin's performances. All he needs to do is replicate what he did in the first half of the 2010-11 season.

The LAST thing I want to see out of Ray Felton is him trying to outdo Jeremy Lin & become a ball dominant PG. This is exactly what this team does NOT need. This team is built with a ton of guys that can score the basketball, the only thing they needed is someone that can facilitate the offense & distribute the basketball.

I want to see Felton being a general on the floor, getting the team into the flow of the offense & creating easy baskets for his teammates. This is something that Lin was still learning how to do, though he did show flashes at times. Still, he was easily flustered by trapping style defense & forced into bad turnovers. I feel that Felton will be better able to deal with ball pressure defense from teams like the Miami Heat & the Boston Celtics, & will be a better passer out of the PnR with STAT. I don't think Felton will ever be the scorer that Jeremy Lin was during Linsanity, & I don't WANT him to be. I want him to be a leader on the basketball court. That is will be most valuable for this team, not the whole Linsanity crazyness, which while it was extremely exciting to witness, was never going to last & never going to be the way to combat teams like the Heat & the Celtics. Good sound fundamental style basketball will give us our best chance of beating those teams. Afterall, shouldn't the main goal be to win a championship?

metrocard

Legend
Most important for Felton is his 3pt accuracy. Melo will always handle the ball majority, we're stuck in Melo ball. I don't think Felton is going to get a chance to be the "general". So him getting open for 3pt shots and hitting them is big for us.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Missed the Felton thread, my bad :beer:
tumblr_m70nhgxHxG1qgjwjko1_500.jpg

:teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth:

KingCharles34

All Star
NY17 thats the best current sig anyone has on here....

I think the most important thing with Felton will come in the playoffs when its time to guard Rajon Rondo and Deron Williams. Could always put Shump on Rondo and have Felton guard Terry, but cant do that against the Nets because of Joe Johnson. I also suspect that Miami might give Wade more minutes at PG next year because of Ray Allen.

From what I remember Felton did a better job of guarding Rondo then Douglas, Bibby, Lin, and Davis all did. And if theres any other point guards we had that im forgetting.

On the poll i voted 7...He'll help but hes not the only reason why we wont win a championship. We're built for the 2nd round, but things can change and we'll have to see how hard everybody really worked once the season starts.

unloopme

Benchwarmer
NY17 thats the best current sig anyone has on here....

I think the most important thing with Felton will come in the playoffs when its time to guard Rajon Rondo and Deron Williams. Could always put Shump on Rondo and have Felton guard Terry, but cant do that against the Nets because of Joe Johnson. I also suspect that Miami might give Wade more minutes at PG next year because of Ray Allen.

From what I remember Felton did a better job of guarding Rondo then Douglas, Bibby, Lin, and Davis all did. And if theres any other point guards we had that im forgetting.

On the poll i voted 7...He'll help but hes not the only reason why we wont win a championship. We're built for the 2nd round, but things can change and we'll have to see how hard everybody really worked once the season starts.

I got 7 too. Before I even read the whole thread.

Felton can cover most 1 n 2's for a a good while, come crunch it's Felt(Kidd) n Brew, until Shump returns. Then we are looking at TWO VERY capable defensive wings in Shump n Brew that can press and cover well the small lineups (miami n ****) while going HUGE with Tyson n Camby. Melo for the frosting on they tip.

We can go HUGE n FAST on D, we have excellent versatility on this roster. Deepest team I've seen since... forever. :gony:

KingCharles34

All Star
^^

Yea I think it just hit me how deep we are, you have some great points. I wasnt even thinking about Brewer before. If Melo and especially Stat were to really work on defense this offseason, we could be a defensive powerhouse...top 5 team in the league defensively. Its a great thing we have Woodson now instead of Dantoni, knicks need to pride themselves on defense. Has to be defense first with the players on this team. And Amare really needs to make a huge effort, he still has the athleticism and strength to be a top PF in the league...just has to stay healthy and play alot smarter. At least Kidd and Felton will make it easier for Stat on offense