Ads on uniforms for the 2013-14 season

rady

Administrator
Staff member
From what it looks like, this will be the last season with nice and clean uniforms for the NBA..

LAS VEGAS — The NBA Board of Governors approved a new look for uniforms and a couple of changes in the use of video replay.

Commissioner David Stern met with the media Thursday after the Board of Governors held their annual summer meeting.

He said the league is looking to add possibly $100 million in revenue by permitting small advertising patches on uniforms starting in the 2013-14 season.

"The view is, that the teams would need a significant time; one, to sell the patch; and number two, for Adidas to manufacture the uniforms, because the patch that would be on the players' uniforms would also appear on the jerseys at retail," said Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver, who is handling the uniform change.

Silver said there are revenue projections from European soccer teams that the NBA could use.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/07/20/4112942/nba-will-sell-ads-on-uniforms.html

orangeblobman

Rotation player
I think it's a good idea for the league.

Most leagues in the world feature advertising on the jerseys. I'm surprised the American leagues did not think to do this earlier.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
A few, clean endorsements on the jerseys are alright. Just as long as they don't look like this. (Sorry Pacquiao, lol)

1393.jpg

p0nder

Starter
hahaha LMAO@that picture of eddy.

I think it would be a good season to pick up your knicks jerseys as after this season it'll be full of adverts like soccer uni's. I don't like the look but i understand the additional revenue for teams like OKC could make the difference in maintaining competitiveness.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Im sorry but I cant go for this. I find it alittle disrespected as a fan that I cant watch a basketball game without a uniform cluttered by ads. and I'll be damned if I have to buy a jersey with that sh*t on it.

NYKLiFER

Benchwarmer
for real...

Im sorry but I cant go for this. I find it alittle disrespected as a fan that I cant watch a basketball game without a uniform cluttered by ads. and I'll be damned if I have to buy a jersey with that sh*t on it.

I Concur I hope they understand that most fans will not wear a Jersey with company advertisements on it. Why should we are we getting paid to walk around with that nonsense on why are they adding it to the retail jerseys its not right. I will never wear an NBA Jersey that has adverts on them period. Stupid move to have them added to the Retail versions should not do that.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
I Concur I hope they understand that most fans will not wear a Jersey with company advertisements on it. Why should we are we getting paid to walk around with that nonsense on why are they adding it to the retail jerseys its not right. I will never wear an NBA Jersey that has adverts on them period. Stupid move to have them added to the Retail versions should not do that.

You're already wearing some other dude's name on your back. A little patch won't make a difference.

Jersey sales will not be negatively affected.

atikiN

Rookie

Yeah soccer jersey sales have been abysmal since they've started using huge ads across the chest.

Forrest17

Rotation player
The only reason Soccer does it is because there are no commercials other than on half time. It goes straight two 45 minute sessions so they kind of need it. There is ZERO need for this. Horrible Horrible idea. I hate this.

The only reason Soccer does it is because there are no commercials other than on half time. It goes straight two 45 minute sessions so they kind of need it. There is ZERO need for this. Horrible Horrible idea. I hate this.

i agree. this is a terrible idea. i like my classic knicks uniform clean with just the words NEW YORK written on them

Don't like this at all, but that's capitalism I guess....

David Stern should wear a Nascar uniform with all of his sponsor's logos and names on it. This dude got bribed more often than Magic had unprotected sex.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
as long as the ads are small and simple. a little patch on the side by the NBA logo wont be all that bad. but if it gets out of hand and is huge like soccer jerseys dont think ill be buying anymore jerseys hahaha,

NYKLiFER

Benchwarmer
??

You're already wearing some other dude's name on your back. A little patch won't make a difference.

Jersey sales will not be negatively affected.

Because I like that player who ever I got and the Team. Why should we buy jerseys that display company names and become a walking advertisement for that company /o compensation this aint europe this aint soccer. anyway Its not the same Bro and you know that why you even chose to comment makes no sense because a player name that u like and a team you love is what you rock not Toyota....

NYKLiFER

Benchwarmer
>????

I think it's a good idea for the league.

Most leagues in the world feature advertising on the jerseys. I'm surprised the American leagues did not think to do this earlier.

The "Americans" ??? so your european I gather huh that explains alot.....

NYKLiFER

Benchwarmer
?

Yeah soccer jersey sales have been abysmal since they've started using huge ads across the chest.

I live in America in New York City. and, I rarely see soccer jerseys on display maybe a euro here and a mexican there but no true blooded american rocks them jerseys because 1. we are not soccer fans and 2. all the adverts look ugly period.

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
I'll rock them only cause its NYK. I will still wear my true O & B every other day but game day. For the record I am against it but who are we ( die hard buyers ) to entertain what the NBA sells to their market I guess lol:teeth:

Wargames

Starter
This is a short-sided move. What happens when a player F*cks up and the sponsor wants the owner to move him? I'm not even talking off the court BS remember when Bynum try to knock Barea's head off a few years ago. What happens when a team sponsor has a hissy fit over something like that and threatens to pull their advertisement unless Bynum is moved? All this move does is make the NBA beholden to corporate sponsors who only care about their team brand and not winning.