Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ray Felton vs. Jeremy Lin - the #'s may surprise you

I'd be happy if Felton avg's 10 pts and 6 As 3 RB a game - cause Kidd isn't going to sit all game. I see them putting up similar numbers. Both protect the ball better then Lin. I don't think the PG position is our weakness. We need a top 20 SG

Originally Posted by NY17KNICKS
    But my real response.
    Lin has had THIS roster before, Felton has not.

In GAME SHAPE AND SLIM, I wanna see what Felton can do.
    This is true. Felton only had Amare, Gallo and Wilson Chandler. Lin had Amare, Melo, Tyson, Shumpert, and J.R Smith.

I will like to see how much better Felton plays with basically his best lineup he has ever been in as an NBA PG.

Lin is more a ball dominant scorer, which takes away the games of Melo and Amare. However, I believe that a PG that dominates the ball are the PG's that either just score like Lou Williams or can dish and swish like Derrick Rose.

Felton is a great fit, to say he is a better fit is up for debate because I believe Lin is the better player and I believe his court vision is under rated and he can make other players better but he didn't have enough time with the stars to prove it to the naysayers.

However, Felton can produce similar if not better numbers than what Lin did last season and at a cheaper cost, especially in that 3rd year.

Felton is a tough dude that can fly up the court if his weight is down, which it already looks like it is and his best friend confirmed Felton is already down 15 pounds from last season.

Keep it up Ray Ray, time to shine again.

A few points:

1. Felton played very well when he was here, showed heart and deserved to stay. I'm happy for him that he is back. I'm sure he will play well for us again.

2. Lin is unproven at this point, but he was a gift that fell into Dolan's lap. He let's Lin go out and get an offer, then brings in Kidd and Felton in the middle of it all, then bad mouths Lin for accepting Rocket's offer.

3. Dolan could have offered Lin a decent 3 year deal before all this Rocket stuff was put in play. Lin would probably have been happy to accept a decent Knick offer.

4. Lin is 23, had the Garden rocking, Dolan's MSG stock increased by millions, Lin jerseys could not be made fast enough...............and Dolan wants us to beleive he let Lin go because it did not make business sense!

5. Lin may wind up decent, above average, or great. Either way we let a real asset go with zero in return.

6. Oh, and Melo had nothing to do with Lin leaving town?

Just my .

Felton should be a better fit. The best thing about Lin isnt his numbers its the simple fact that he hates to lose. If Felton really plays with fire we are fine.

The only problem I have is melo and Amare are frontrunners as soon as we get down they give up. Having a guy like lin come in and take over the game. It kind of knocks a hole in the attitude melo and Amare have of "I'm great so if we lose its not my fault".

I think we need that. When the team is down 15 to the raptors or some other crap team and melo and Amare have a stupid look on their face. It was nice to have someone that wants to win every game.

Originally Posted by tripleaamin9
    Under Woodson Lin averaged
    13.2 PPG
    5.4 APG
    4 RPG
    3.7 TPG
    Those are very human like numbers, nothing at all like what Lin was putting up under the freewheeling system of Mike D'Antoni, which IMHO was never going to lead us to any type of real longterm success, especially against teams that defend on the perimeter well like the Heat & Celtics. In order to get past the teams we will need to beat to win a championship, we need to run a more structured offense, shoot the ball well from the perimeter, & most importantly, play smothering defense, all 3 aspects of the game which Mike Woodson places the majority of emphasis on.

Lin supporters, please do not get me wrong I am not trying to bash Lin in the slightest, I was 1 of his biggest supporters when he was here, but we need to take a step back from our emotions right now over losing Jeremy & analyze the situation we're currently in. We have 2 of the best scorers in the NBA on the team that need to be fed the basketball. IMO Ray Felton & Jason Kidd are very much suited to the task at hand. Lin would probably flourish more in Houston where he won't have to defer as much as he would have had to here, perhaps that also played a large part in his decision to sign with Houston? Just a thought. I wish him well. But not against us!

Superstar

Originally Posted by metrocard
    I fear Feltons ability to elevate the play of his teammates, even thog he is a better passer than Lin.

If Ray can average 12 and 9 assist, he's worth the money.
    Yeah, but iv'e seen him(FELTON) and STAT basically play like a great looking due, while lin seemed sometimes to go of the reservation and do his own thing, even when STAT and Melo were with him.I trust Felton to make the right decision more so than LIN, lin likes to shot first sometime, while since at NC Felton has always look to get his teammates going, and that's what i want in my PG.

Superstar

Originally Posted by STAT1
    Those are very human like numbers, nothing at all like what Lin was putting up under the freewheeling system of Mike D'Antoni, which IMHO was never going to lead us to any type of real longterm success, especially against teams that defend on the perimeter well like the Heat & Celtics. In order to get past the teams we will need to beat to win a championship, we need to run a more structured offense, shoot the ball well from the perimeter, & most importantly, play smothering defense, all 3 aspects of the game which Mike Woodson places the majority of emphasis on.

Lin supporters, please do not get me wrong I am not trying to bash Lin in the slightest, I was 1 of his biggest supporters when he was here, but we need to take a step back from our emotions right now over losing Jeremy & analyze the situation we're currently in. We have 2 of the best scorers in the NBA on the team that need to be fed the basketball. IMO Ray Felton & Jason Kidd are very much suited to the task at hand. Lin would probably flourish more in Houston where he won't have to defer as much as he would have had to here, perhaps that also played a large part in his decision to sign with Houston? Just a thought. I wish him well. But not against us!
    Nah f-that, don't bite your tongue, 99% of LIN fans aren't Knicks fans anyways.So to hell with them, all Knicks fans supported Lin while he was here(because he was a Knick), but some of these idiots, who bash STAT and MELO, and called LIN the greatest thing to ever happen to the KNICKS are retards.Don't apologize to the unintelligent, call it what it is, where going to be better off, financially on and off the court next year.Jason Kidd, and felton are more than capable of running things next year.F-Lin and all LIN fans, not to be confused with KNICKS fans.P.S i can say that now, he's not a knick anymore.

Originally Posted by fender0577
    Yeah, but iv'e seen him(FELTON) and STAT basically play like a great looking due, while lin seemed sometimes to go of the reservation and do his own thing, even when STAT and Melo were with him.I trust Felton to make the right decision more so than LIN, lin likes to shot first sometime, while since at NC Felton has always look to get his teammates going, and that's what i want in my PG.
    Lin seemed almost unsure of what he was supposed to do when he was on the court with STAT & Melo at times, almost too sheepish to step on either of their toes deferring way too early by giving up the ball before the offense had had a chance to set up, while at other times making questionable decisions with the basketball & turning the ball over. With a young player like Lin there is always that concern that instead of taking charge & orchestrating the offense, he will act hesitant and second guess himself. He had none of those concerns when STAT & Melo were both out, he WAS the main option on the floor so he could play freely & not have to worry about what he was supposed to do with the basketball. This is why I say I think Ray Felton might be better suited to run this offense, since being a veteran he's more seasoned & more apt to make the right decisions with the basketball when teams are trying to pressure him in the backcourt. He's not going to be nearly as flashy or exciting a player to watch as Jeremy Lin, not even close, but in terms of production of what this team will need out of its floor general, I think Ray might be the right option for us at this point in time.

I appreciate the numbers because they do say a lot, but they do not say it all!

What numbers do not show is leadership and chemistry with teamates.

People dislike how "plain" Felton's game is and love Lin's larger than life appeal, however I see it as a problem.

With Lin we have that whole "Who's team is it" struggle that will play out each time we lose a game and Lin didnt get X number of touches or if Melo took the last shot and vise versa.

With Felton he is nothing more than a facilitator, he's not a franchise savior, he's not going to have a swarm of media around him after every game and he will not have whole segmants dedicated to him on PTI!

He'll simply make plays for us!

Chemistry

Felton is familar with some key players on our team (Amare w/ Knicks,Tyson w/ Bobcats,Camby w Blazers and JR Smith w/ Nuggets) this is huge in terms of familarity and respect from those guys!

Basketball

Felton has never played at the level of Lin at the height of Linsanity....Jeremy Lin has never started more than 25 games! Try as they may, Melo and Stat will never be Pippen and Oakley type defenders so that is where the other players around them need to compliment them...not complicate. Lin in that game against Toronto got dominated by Calderon who had 30 in 3 qts (it took my man Shump to shut him down and ultimately set up that dramatic game winner) Lin will give it his all but will not defend which will compromise our D

Prime vs. Potential

Lin has the potential to be a better PG down the road....but we are not built for down the road, our team is built to win now! If OKC had a choice between the 2 they should choose Lin because he'll hit his Prime along with the core of the team....but Amare,Melo,Tyson are right smack in the middle of their prime as is Felton which puts them on the same page

Advantage Raymond!

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

RayRay wants to be here and showed grit and heart in his time in NY i was upset he was traded and now im glad he's back. tough player who exudes confidence--which is a must. I think with the way were currently constructed Felton is the better fit for the team, Lin is more of a scoring PG in the devin harris) mold(not as good) which with this team isnt a good fit, we need a facilitator and Felton can be that and get rugged throughout the 30 mins he's playing. excellent addition and the dude is real. saw his msg interview and he's looking in shape, looks ready to play and being back in NY revived him.

Rockets fans think lin is going to average 22 and 10 LOLOL

Originally Posted by knickerbocka176
    I think Lin will average somewhere around 18 & 8 w/5 turnovers per. Solid #'s but probably not what we need our PG to give us at this point. I'll be happy if Felton can give us 14 & 7 while providing leadership on the basketball court, stabilizing the offense & not turning the ball over.

Originally Posted by knickerbocka176
    Thats not really surprising, he will be their #1 option, play a pick up game where you are holding the ball 90% of the time and you will have good numbers..

Felton should be better on d and honestly if we slow it down his ball security will be big for us. I don't think we have worry about a guy like chalmers shutting Felton down.

Originally Posted by elcol
    Thats not really surprising, he will be their #1 option, play a pick up game where you are holding the ball 90% of the time and you will have good numbers..
    They have no one else. He'll have to do pretty much everything aka be their melo. If you're a fantasy owner it'll be great but if you're a basketball team, not so much.

He's not there to be a basketball player. He's there bring a dead fanbase back to life. If he pulls good numbers it's just a positive.

I won't be surprised if he tears his meniscus again or worse with the minutes they'll probably play him.