Ray Felton vs. Jeremy Lin - the #'s may surprise you

fender0577

Rotation player
I fear Feltons ability to elevate the play of his teammates, even thog he is a better passer than Lin.

If Ray can average 12 and 9 assist, he's worth the money.
Yeah, but iv'e seen him(FELTON) and STAT basically play like a great looking due, while lin seemed sometimes to go of the reservation and do his own thing, even when STAT and Melo were with him.I trust Felton to make the right decision more so than LIN, lin likes to shot first sometime, while since at NC Felton has always look to get his teammates going, and that's what i want in my PG.

fender0577

Rotation player
Those are very human like numbers, nothing at all like what Lin was putting up under the freewheeling system of Mike D'Antoni, which IMHO was never going to lead us to any type of real longterm success, especially against teams that defend on the perimeter well like the Heat & Celtics. In order to get past the teams we will need to beat to win a championship, we need to run a more structured offense, shoot the ball well from the perimeter, & most importantly, play smothering defense, all 3 aspects of the game which Mike Woodson places the majority of emphasis on.

Lin supporters, please do not get me wrong I am not trying to bash Lin in the slightest, I was 1 of his biggest supporters when he was here, but we need to take a step back from our emotions right now over losing Jeremy & analyze the situation we're currently in. We have 2 of the best scorers in the NBA on the team that need to be fed the basketball. IMO Ray Felton & Jason Kidd are very much suited to the task at hand. Lin would probably flourish more in Houston where he won't have to defer as much as he would have had to here, perhaps that also played a large part in his decision to sign with Houston? Just a thought. I wish him well. But not against us! :thumbsup:
Nah f-that, don't bite your tongue, 99% of LIN fans aren't Knicks fans anyways.So to hell with them, all Knicks fans supported Lin while he was here(because he was a Knick), but some of these idiots, who bash STAT and MELO, and called LIN the greatest thing to ever happen to the KNICKS are retards.Don't apologize to the unintelligent, call it what it is, where going to be better off, financially on and off the court next year.Jason Kidd, and felton are more than capable of running things next year.F-Lin and all LIN fans, not to be confused with KNICKS fans.P.S i can say that now, he's not a knick anymore.

STAT1

Starter
Yeah, but iv'e seen him(FELTON) and STAT basically play like a great looking due, while lin seemed sometimes to go of the reservation and do his own thing, even when STAT and Melo were with him.I trust Felton to make the right decision more so than LIN, lin likes to shot first sometime, while since at NC Felton has always look to get his teammates going, and that's what i want in my PG.

Lin seemed almost unsure of what he was supposed to do when he was on the court with STAT & Melo at times, almost too sheepish to step on either of their toes deferring way too early by giving up the ball before the offense had had a chance to set up, while at other times making questionable decisions with the basketball & turning the ball over. With a young player like Lin there is always that concern that instead of taking charge & orchestrating the offense, he will act hesitant and second guess himself. He had none of those concerns when STAT & Melo were both out, he WAS the main option on the floor so he could play freely & not have to worry about what he was supposed to do with the basketball. This is why I say I think Ray Felton might be better suited to run this offense, since being a veteran he's more seasoned & more apt to make the right decisions with the basketball when teams are trying to pressure him in the backcourt. He's not going to be nearly as flashy or exciting a player to watch as Jeremy Lin, not even close, but in terms of production of what this team will need out of its floor general, I think Ray might be the right option for us at this point in time.

New New York

Quiet Storm
I appreciate the numbers because they do say a lot, but they do not say it all!

What numbers do not show is leadership and chemistry with teamates.

People dislike how "plain" Felton's game is and love Lin's larger than life appeal, however I see it as a problem.

With Lin we have that whole "Who's team is it" struggle that will play out each time we lose a game and Lin didnt get X number of touches or if Melo took the last shot and vise versa.

With Felton he is nothing more than a facilitator, he's not a franchise savior, he's not going to have a swarm of media around him after every game and he will not have whole segmants dedicated to him on PTI!

He'll simply make plays for us!

Chemistry

Felton is familar with some key players on our team (Amare w/ Knicks,Tyson w/ Bobcats,Camby w Blazers and JR Smith w/ Nuggets) this is huge in terms of familarity and respect from those guys!

Basketball

Felton has never played at the level of Lin at the height of Linsanity....Jeremy Lin has never started more than 25 games! Try as they may, Melo and Stat will never be Pippen and Oakley type defenders so that is where the other players around them need to compliment them...not complicate. Lin in that game against Toronto got dominated by Calderon who had 30 in 3 qts (it took my man Shump to shut him down and ultimately set up that dramatic game winner) Lin will give it his all but will not defend which will compromise our D

Prime vs. Potential

Lin has the potential to be a better PG down the road....but we are not built for down the road, our team is built to win now! If OKC had a choice between the 2 they should choose Lin because he'll hit his Prime along with the core of the team....but Amare,Melo,Tyson are right smack in the middle of their prime as is Felton which puts them on the same page

Advantage Raymond!

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
RayRay wants to be here and showed grit and heart in his time in NY i was upset he was traded and now im glad he's back. tough player who exudes confidence--which is a must. I think with the way were currently constructed Felton is the better fit for the team, Lin is more of a scoring PG in the devin harris) mold(not as good) which with this team isnt a good fit, we need a facilitator and Felton can be that and get rugged throughout the 30 mins he's playing. excellent addition and the dude is real. saw his msg interview and he's looking in shape, looks ready to play and being back in NY revived him.

STAT1

Starter
Rockets fans think lin is going to average 22 and 10 LOLOL

I think Lin will average somewhere around 18 & 8 w/5 turnovers per. Solid #'s but probably not what we need our PG to give us at this point. I'll be happy if Felton can give us 14 & 7 while providing leadership on the basketball court, stabilizing the offense & not turning the ball over.

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
Thats not really surprising, he will be their #1 option, play a pick up game where you are holding the ball 90% of the time and you will have good numbers..

They have no one else. He'll have to do pretty much everything aka be their melo. If you're a fantasy owner it'll be great but if you're a basketball team, not so much.

He's not there to be a basketball player. He's there bring a dead fanbase back to life. If he pulls good numbers it's just a positive.

I won't be surprised if he tears his meniscus again or worse with the minutes they'll probably play him.

fender0577

Rotation player
They have no one else. He'll have to do pretty much everything aka be their melo. If you're a fantasy owner it'll be great but if you're a basketball team, not so much.

He's not there to be a basketball player. He's there bring a dead fanbase back to life. If he pulls good numbers it's just a positive.

I won't be surprised if he tears his meniscus again or worse with the minutes they'll probably play him.
They traded kevin martin?That dude puts up numbers, and no, LIN is not a 20 and 10 player, you know how hard that is?Some people have no clue, lin will never average 20&10, he's not that athletic, 17&7 with 6 TO's is more realistic.15 million for those numbers is absurd, just my :2cents:

Den318

Benchwarmer
They traded kevin martin?That dude puts up numbers, and no, LIN is not a 20 and 10 player, you know how hard that is?Some people have no clue, lin will never average 20&10, he's not that athletic, 17&7 with 6 TO's is more realistic.15 million for those numbers is absurd, just my :2cents:

Lin at least have the potential to be a 20/10 or close to it. A'mare and Melo will NEVER win a championship for the Knicks. There max contract is way more Absorb!!

fender0577

Rotation player
Lin at least have the potential to be a 20/10 or close to it. A'mare and Melo will NEVER win a championship for the Knicks. There max contract is way more Absorb!!
Ah...no he doesn't, there's a reason only Chris Paul and D-Will are the only PG's in the league who have done it.Lin is ok, but stop with this 20&10 talk, please.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Nah f-that, don't bite your tongue, 99% of LIN fans aren't Knicks fans anyways.So to hell with them, all Knicks fans supported Lin while he was here(because he was a Knick), but some of these idiots, who bash STAT and MELO, and called LIN the greatest thing to ever happen to the KNICKS are retards.Don't apologize to the unintelligent, call it what it is, where going to be better off, financially on and off the court next year.Jason Kidd, and felton are more than capable of running things next year.F-Lin and all LIN fans, not to be confused with KNICKS fans.P.S i can say that now, he's not a knick anymore.

Bang bang...King Kong ain't got s**t on me; took the words out of my mouth. Man I love our old school posters. :)

Kiyaman

Legend

Keven Martin equal Carmelo Anthony .... didnt u notice the Houston Rocket roster without "Yao & T-Mac" three seasons ago staying above .500 record. As soon as they got Keven Martin 2 seasons ago, Houston started trading some decent young guards and coach Adeleman started DNP healthy good players who refuse to pass Keven Martin the ball on every offensive possession.

Lin is a complimentary team player .. Felton is not...

NYNYK

Benchwarmer

Ok, I wouldn't use the word "never" to predict an individual player's performance particularly when he just came of an incredible season. Who would have thought that Victor Cruz would play like an all star WR on the giants last season? Or Tom Brady would go from 4th string qb to hall of fame? The kid worked hard to get where he is so who knows?

And he's plenty athletic, watch Sports Science on ESPN if you don't believe me...or just watch his games from last season.

But the numbers weren't my point. Even if he performs poorly, as long as he starts he'll draw $$$, something that Doh!lan couldn't seem to grasp. Houston had plenty of cash to throw around and yet they pursued an unproven PG in J Lin (which he is) when they had D Will available or Steve Nash? And seriously, Omer Asik??? And a bunch of hit or miss young players? If they make the playoffs next season I will be amazed. I'll give you Kevin Martin but he's not a superstar like Melo. (yes i said it and I don't care if I get sh*t from the blob for this one if he reads it).

Lin had a great situation in NY and it was a win win for both sides no matter how you try and spin it. The Knicks could had 2 years to evaluate Lin before that luxury tax hit and traded him away to any number of teams who would love to have him no matter how he performed. Meanwhile, they would be making insane paper off him just being on the team. Plus they had J Kidd to help him out and even a Felton/Lin combo isn't too far fetched. Lin could have had better talent to work with and had a much higher chance of actually getting a chance to play in the playoffs vs sitting on the sidelines.

Forrest17

Rotation player
He better become a pass first pointguard this time around. I swear when he was with us, he played with blinders on half the game. Its like he made the decision whether he was going to pass or shoot when he was on the other end of the court.. The situation, whether someone was open or not, seemed like it didn't matter. He just chucked so many shots it drove me insane.