Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: My heart goes out to Aurora, Colorado

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member Newbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    263
    Rep Power
    4

    Default My heart goes out to Aurora, Colorado

    To all the victims, their family and loved ones, and to the
    all the people who live there.

    What a senseless tragedy, and once again, it takes something
    like this to remind us what is truly important in our lives.

  2. #2
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Newbie
    To all the victims, their family and loved ones, and to the
    all the people who live there.

    What a senseless tragedy, and once again, it takes something
    like this to remind us what is truly important in our lives.
    Agreed. Good post.

    What troubles me is the frequency of these killing sprees in the U.S. There was another one the same week in Alabama. A guy walked into a restaurant with a semi-automatic rifle and started shooting people. He then walked down the street and turned himself in at a FedEx. Luckily noone was killed, which is why the media didn't cover it, which also makes me sad.

    I think the violence is a symptom of our culture and society. Gun laws or no gun laws, something is fundamentally wrong with our society. I can't put my finger on it.

    I personally believe it is a combination of many factors, not just one. Media, disconnectivity within community, family, etc, poor mental health care, poor education, distrust and hatred of people that are different, proliferation of easily accessible weapons and a constant promotion of selfish values.

    I think all of these attributes of our society have created a "perfect storm" for these killing sprees to take place. While I'm not so naive that I believe we can eliminate the violence within our culture completely, I do believe we can stake steps to drastically reduce it.

    Unfortunately, the issue is complex and would take a massive commitment and investment of time and resouces, not to mention the deeply divisive issues (e.g. gun control) seem to drive the debates on such a topic, which, inturn, leads to more vitriol, hatred and disconnection.

    In other words, nothing will be done and another killing spree will probably take place in a few months. We have averaged more than two a year since Columbine and sadly, I think it will just become a "normal" part of our society.

    Anyway, that's my two cents.

  3. #3
    Superstar orangeblobman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    856
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Agreed. Good post.

    What troubles me is the frequency of these killing sprees in the U.S. There was another one the same week in Alabama. A guy walked into a restaurant with a semi-automatic rifle and started shooting people. He then walked down the street and turned himself in at a FedEx. Luckily noone was killed, which is why the media didn't cover it, which also makes me sad.

    I think the violence is a symptom of our culture and society. Gun laws or no gun laws, something is fundamentally wrong with our society. I can't put my finger on it.

    I personally believe it is a combination of many factors, not just one. Media, disconnectivity within community, family, etc, poor mental health care, poor education, distrust and hatred of people that are different, proliferation of easily accessible weapons and a constant promotion of selfish values.

    I think all of these attributes of our society have created a "perfect storm" for these killing sprees to take place. While I'm not so naive that I believe we can eliminate the violence within our culture completely, I do believe we can stake steps to drastically reduce it.

    Unfortunately, the issue is complex and would take a massive commitment and investment of time and resouces, not to mention the deeply divisive issues (e.g. gun control) seem to drive the debates on such a topic, which, inturn, leads to more vitriol, hatred and disconnection.

    In other words, nothing will be done and another killing spree will probably take place in a few months. We have averaged more than two a year since Columbine and sadly, I think it will just become a "normal" part of our society.

    Anyway, that's my two cents.
    Dude, it's modernity that's the problem. People are soulless and without direction, living not for some greater goal but only to satisfy today's impulses and urges.

  4. #4
    Nein, Mann! Lercher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Rotterdam
    Posts
    3,058
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Crime and violence have always been a huge problem within the American society, it has nothing to with modernity. LJ4ptplay already pointed out what are the real reasons of crime/violence in the US: media, poor health care, poor education, hatred and inequality. If London, despite having an almost identical population, has a six times lower homicide rate than the city of NY*, you've to admit that there is something wrong with the American society.

    *
    London: population of 8,174,100 - 0.01 homicide per 1,000 inhabitants in 2011
    New York: population of 8,244,910 - 0.06 homicide per 1,000 inhabitants in 2011

  5. #5
    Member Newbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    263
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Agreed. Good post.

    What troubles me is the frequency of these killing sprees in the U.S. There was another one the same week in Alabama. A guy walked into a restaurant with a semi-automatic rifle and started shooting people. He then walked down the street and turned himself in at a FedEx. Luckily noone was killed, which is why the media didn't cover it, which also makes me sad.

    I think the violence is a symptom of our culture and society. Gun laws or no gun laws, something is fundamentally wrong with our society. I can't put my finger on it.

    I personally believe it is a combination of many factors, not just one. Media, disconnectivity within community, family, etc, poor mental health care, poor education, distrust and hatred of people that are different, proliferation of easily accessible weapons and a constant promotion of selfish values.

    I think all of these attributes of our society have created a "perfect storm" for these killing sprees to take place. While I'm not so naive that I believe we can eliminate the violence within our culture completely, I do believe we can stake steps to drastically reduce it.

    Unfortunately, the issue is complex and would take a massive commitment and investment of time and resouces, not to mention the deeply divisive issues (e.g. gun control) seem to drive the debates on such a topic, which, inturn, leads to more vitriol, hatred and disconnection.

    In other words, nothing will be done and another killing spree will probably take place in a few months. We have averaged more than two a year since Columbine and sadly, I think it will just become a "normal" part of our society.

    Anyway, that's my two cents.
    Agreed! And, as much as I hate guns, I don't think stricter gun
    laws will stop the person who wants to kill. (i.e. Norway has
    strict gun laws, but that man was able to kill over 70 people last
    year.) That being said, the fact that an average person can just
    go out and purchase a semi-automatic assault rifle is beyond ludicrous!

    What I don't agree with is the media trying to figure out the
    personality type of a person capable of this kind of destruction.
    How many "quiet and strange" teenagers walk the halls of every
    school system?

    I think part of the problem is that our population is getting too big,
    and people are having children without teaching them right from
    wrong. (But, even if you try and teach someone good morals, they
    can still snap, as we know.)

    And, of the course, the media. The majority of TV shows
    are about murder, and I won't even mention the Internet, I can
    go on and on about that! If I had children, I would be very afraid
    to allow them free internet access...

  6. #6
    Superstar orangeblobman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    856
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by Newbie
    Agreed! And, as much as I hate guns, I don't think stricter gun
    laws will stop the person who wants to kill. (i.e. Norway has
    strict gun laws, but that man was able to kill over 70 people last
    year.) That being said, the fact that an average person can just
    go out and purchase a semi-automatic assault rifle is beyond ludicrous!

    What I don't agree with is the media trying to figure out the
    personality type of a person capable of this kind of destruction.
    How many "quiet and strange" teenagers walk the halls of every
    school system?

    I think part of the problem is that our population is getting too big,
    and people are having children without teaching them right from
    wrong. (But, even if you try and teach someone good morals, they
    can still snap, as we know.)

    And, of the course, the media. The majority of TV shows
    are about murder, and I won't even mention the Internet, I can
    go on and on about that! If I had children, I would be very afraid
    to allow them free internet access...
    There is no GOD anymore, so anything goes. People aren't centered by religion. Everything is material, physical. Morally bankrupt.

    When I have my children, I will not have a television in the home. The first five or ten years of his life will be without television and he will be much healthier for it.

  7. #7
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by orangeblobman
    There is no GOD anymore, so anything goes. People aren't centered by religion. Everything is material, physical. Morally bankrupt.

    When I have my children, I will not have a television in the home. The first five or ten years of his life will be without television and he will be much healthier for it.
    I don't think religion, or lack of religion, has anything to do with it. The least violent countries, with the lowest crime rates (e.g. Japan, Sweden, Norway, Denmark) all have the highest percentage of agnostic/atheist populations, some as high as 75%. America is the most religious country in the modern industrialzed world and has the highest violent crime rate in the modern industrialized world. Also the highest number of citizens per capita incarcerated in the enitre world. God does not necessarily equal morals.

  8. #8
    Superstar orangeblobman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    856
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    I don't think religion, or lack of religion, has anything to do with it. The least violent countries, with the lowest crime rates (e.g. Japan, Sweden, Norway, Denmark) all have the highest percentage of agnostic/atheist populations, some as high as 75%. America is the most religious country in the modern industrialzed world and has the highest violent crime rate in the modern industrialized world. Also the highest number of citizens per capita incarcerated in the enitre world. God does not necessarily equal morals.
    They might not be violent, but the countries you mention have deep, DEEP problems bubbling under the shiny exterior. You have kids dying from marathon gaming sessions in South Korea, for example. Isn't that a symptom of a deeply troubled society?

  9. #9
    Member Newbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    263
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by orangeblobman
    There is no GOD anymore, so anything goes. People aren't centered by religion. Everything is material, physical. Morally bankrupt.

    When I have my children, I will not have a television in the home. The first five or ten years of his life will be without television and he will be much healthier for it.
    There is still a God for many. Anyway, think of ALL the atrocities
    committed and being committed in the name of religion?

    I don't know what the answer is, or the cause. But, I do know
    that in our country, many people want it all and to do it all. And,
    the children are suffering because of this mindset.

    So, is it from a lack of family values. Do we NOT value our
    children as much as other societies?

  10. #10
    Superstar orangeblobman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    856
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by Newbie
    There is still a God for many. Anyway, think of ALL the atrocities
    committed and being committed in the name of religion?

    I don't know what the answer is, or the cause. But, I do know
    that in our country, many people want it all and to do it all. And,
    the children are suffering because of this mindset.

    So, is it from a lack of family values. Do we NOT value our
    children as much as other societies?
    I can say I'm doing this and that in the name of Newbie, this doesn't mean Newbie is bad.

    I don't think we value our children as much. I think, in general, we feed them to the wolves at an early age. You have parents who are effectively children themselves, and they're having children, it's just a terrible downward spiral we're in and it looks like it will get worse before it gets better.

  11. #11
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    ........sadly, I think it will just become a "normal" part of our society.
    Another killing spree today. 7 people killed in Oak Creek, Wis.

Similar Threads

  1. Pat Riley EAT YOUR HEART OUT
    By Clyde & The Pearl in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: Feb 16, 2012, 12:23
  2. Jeff Green to have heart surgey
    By KnicksFan4Life in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Dec 17, 2011, 17:52
  3. Should we question A'mare's heart?
    By The Garden '95 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: Mar 26, 2011, 19:25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •